Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection

Posted by Arcadios

[IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t301/ArcadiosZero/mgs.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=281885

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 all in one for the PS2.
I've always been wanting to check the series out so now is the perfect opportunity and for only 30 bucks?
**** Yeah

Posted by Slade

Sweet, yeah definitely get it. Is the MGS1 in that package re-made, like the GCN version?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Probably not as the MGS 1 case says PlayStation.

Posted by Slade

Oh ho! Oh ho ho ho ho!

Good point.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's a shame they couldn't get Twin Snakes in there. It's way superior to the original MGS1. SNAKE JUMPS ON A ****ING ROCKET AND PSYCHO MANTIS TALKS ABOUT SMASH BROS FOR ****S SAKE

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting The X: It's a shame they couldn't get Twin Snakes in there. It's way superior to the original MGS1. SNAKE JUMPS ON A ****ING ROCKET AND PSYCHO MANTIS TALKS ABOUT SMASH BROS FOR ****S SAKE

The cinematics are indeed superior, but the gameplay balance was broken because of the MGS2 mechanics shoe-horned in MGS1 levels. Also, the GCN control scheme will take some getting used to, and I personally preferred the soundtrack in the original.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I preferred the voice acting in the remake, too. Didn't Hayter personally reassemble the cast for Twin Snakes?

Posted by Slade

****, I really need to play Twin Snakes. :(

Posted by maian

Yeah, he forfeited half of his paycheck to get the original cast back. :X

I reaaaally wish the MGS3 pack in there was Subsistence so I could play with the new camera angle. :( For all I know, it could be, but who knows. Anyway, fscking sweet deal. I'll just have to spend $80 to get a PS2 and this. Awesome.

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: PlayAsia is currently taking pre-orders for Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection for the PS2 that includes the original Metal Gear Solid as well as the directors cut of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

http://kotaku.com/349319/metal-gear-solid-the-essential-collection-available-for-pre+order-at-playasia

Yeah, it's all the latest versions of the games. EXCEPT FOR 1

Posted by maian

OHSHI

In that case, I want it even more. I keep seeing MGS3 at my local game store for $10. It's a steal, but I don't think I could handle going back to 3 with the top down camera after going through European Extreme with the turnaround one. >_> Excited.

As for MGS1, I don't really care. If anything, I like it more that it's the original because I already own Twin Snakes, and can't see myself ever getting the original copy. Rad.

Posted by Slade

Oh, yeah. If you haven't played the original MGS1 or Subsistence, then it's perfect. I already have the games it includes, but don't have Twin Snakes. So I'm like ":("

At least I could probably find TS for like 8 bucks used.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Do not want. Not only do I have all of these games already, but they're all still on their original systems. I'd totally buy it if it was a package made exclusively for the PS2 with all games, including PSP titles, ported to the PS2. But they're not so I don't recall care.

And Twin Snakes is better.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I'd totally buy it if it was a package made exclusively for the PS2 with all games, including PSP titles, ported to the PS2. But they're not so I don't recall care.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw MGS PACKAGE. Even the Ac!d ones. I wanna play those so bad.

Also, your habit of using the wrong word turned out pretty weird.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;814813] I'll just have to spend $80 to get a PS2 and this. Awesome.
Hardcore MGS fan hasn't played the original MGS1 and doesn't own a PS2. what the ****

Quoted post: Also, your habit of using the wrong word turned out pretty weird.

Ugh, and I read over my posts too. Can't help it, but I try...

Posted by maian

Quoting The X: Hardcore MGS fan hasn't played the original MGS1 and doesn't own a PS2. what the ****

I've never had the money. :cookie:

And when I have, I've spent it on higher priority systems. HOWEVER, I have borrowed my friend's for extended periods of time, I'm halfway through beating Substance on European Extreme, beaten Subsistence on Euro-Extreme, and I own Twin Snakes and Portable Ops and have done the same on both, and I know just about every plot intricacy there is and am eagerly awaiting MGS4. :cool:

as for the original version I got nothin' :(

Posted by CrystalPain

I haven't played MGS Twin Snake :(

This is a good deal! If I didn't own all three originals i would have bought it! This special deal is probably made to boost sale for mgs4??

I doubt MGS4 needs any help. If anything, it's to help people get caught up on the story and to show them what they should expect. If they really wanted to push sales of MGS4 they'd release these as a blu-ray collection.

Posted by Linko_16

Resident Evil benefited from the make-over, but for some reason I always felt that the PS1 Metal Gear Solid was just too classic to play any other way. :/

Posted by maian

People are going to NEED to know the MGS story to play MGS4, is the thing. One thing I see that may be a problem to MGS4, is that it's appealing to a lot of people. It bends like, fourteen different genres into one, it's a mature shootan game, been really hyped, and is an exclusive. I think this will lead many people into buying it, assuming that it will be like most other games where not playing previous ones won't be that much of a problem.

...MGS4's story will not make sense in any way, shape, or form, in my opinion if people haven't played and/or don't understand/forgot the stories of the previous games. Apparently they're wrapping up every plothole in the whole series (which is a massive, massive task), and the four years of footage we've seen, save for the last trailer, have ALL been of the first area in the game. Maybe the first hour. This already contains in depth twisting storylines already. MGS2 still doesn't even make much sense. I don't even know if MGS4 can make MGS2 make sense.

...So yeah, maybe this will help people to understand MGS4. :|

Posted by Zeta

Doesn't MGS4 have some sort of 'flashback' feature?

Posted by maian

Eh, kinda. Either way, flashbacks, during codecs mind you, won't do much anything at all to fill in players. I also saw a video from the CES Demo of the first in game, English cutscene. When Otacon is introducing Metal Gear MKII, it goes something like, "METAL GEAR?!" "Yup, Metal Gear, just like REX." Right then, an icon appears in the corner, and when the player presses the button, you see a black and white Metal Gear Rex on screen for like, half a second.

Essentially, these flashbacks will pretty much be like MGS3's cutscene R1 first person views, just in flashbacks.

Quoted post: Doesn't MGS4 have some sort of 'flashback' feature?

Yeah, for certain characters and whatnot. Which should do enough to help newcomers. This package is going to help people, sure, but Konami is just doing it for sales.

And MGS4 is going to be like MGS3 for people. They get hyped about it, play it, and realise they ****ing hate it.

Quoted post:
Eh, kinda. Either way, flashbacks, during codecs mind you, won't do much anything at all to fill in players.

It's a cutscene from past games.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Bad is bad, and that collection breathes up something horrible. I also already own all the original copies, did not care for the recuts. And MGS1 was only cool for me 10 years ago, TS owns.

Posted by Arcadios

Hehe, my birthday is on the 27th of March.
I gave my friend a 30GB iPod along with a 4GB Nano and so I'm gonna ride his *** until he gets me a new PS2 since I got the old cluncky one that can't play PS2 games anymore. Then I'll go back to PS2 and pick up some dirt cheap titles like the Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear, Shadow of the Colosseum along with others.

Posted by The Heir Apparent

The sniper parts of the first MGS are worth it alone