From Casual to Hardcore (Recommendation topic)

Posted by Ashen

If you think I'm stealing this from Zeta, sue me.

Anyways, I'm not exactly what you might call a "hardcore" player, but considering that I'm going to start to have major time on my hands, I'm thinking of starting to devote my energies to working on my gaming skills.

I'm up for pretty much any genre (but maybe not sports). I currently have NES, SNES, Game Boy/Advance, DS, PS2, and GameCube. Oh, and PC is game too. Just as long as I don't have to pay too much. And I'd rather like to go from classic to modern. So... I guess NES/SNES is a good place to start. I can get Genesis maybe, so I can do stuff with that.

In the SNES arena, I've currently got Actraiser, Actraiser 2, Bahamut Lagoon, Breath of Fire*, Breath of Fire 2*, Chrono Trigger*, Dragon Quest 6, Front Mission, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, Lufia II, Rudora no Hihou, Seiken Denestsu 3, Secret of Mana*, Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and Tales of Phantasia. I'd list my GBA stuff, but I'd have to be home for that looking at my collection. I've only got a few on my drive. :3

Currently recommended:[list][*]None currently[/list]
Currently playing:[list][*]Nothing recommended[/list]
* = finished

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wait, so you want a good list of hardcore games? You were kinda vague about what you wanted, though your current list seems RPG-centric. Going from classic to modern is kinda dumb, though. I jump between game generations all the time.

As for recommendations:

NES
Megaman
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Megaman 4
Megaman 5
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Double Dragon
Bionic Commando
Castlevania

SNES
Super Metroid
Link to the Past
Super Punchout!
Castlevania III

GBA
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Pok

Posted by S

http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=28809

Posted by Shade

Finish Tales of Phantasia ASAP. Great game.

Sword of Mana (GBA) and Final Fantasy (GBA/NES)

Posted by Zeta

[quote]If you think I'm stealing this from Zeta, sue me.

Huh?

Posted by Shade

Your game recommendation thread.

Posted by Zeta

Oh, I forgot about that. :(

GBA Castlevanias, Elite Beat Agents, and I can't think of anything else.

Posted by Ashen

[QUOTE=The X;814374]Wait, so you want a good list of hardcore games? You were kinda vague about what you wanted, though your current list seems RPG-centric. Going from classic to modern is kinda dumb, though. I jump between game generations all the time.

SNES
Super Metroid (playing)

GBA
Golden Sun (beat)
Golden Sun 2 (beat)
Pok

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Elite Beat Agents

How is that hardcore?

Posted by Zeta

How isn't it?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It was part of the Touch Generations line of casual games - I wouldn't say it's hardcore, really. For a game to be hardcore, it usually has to have some kind of intricacy or depth to it. EBA is just tapping circles.[spoiler]in before speedfreak derails the thread into a WHAT IS A HARDCORE GAME debate[/spoiler]

Posted by Zeta

Many people consider *** of War hardcore, and all that is is MASH SQUARE BUTTAN or whatever.

Posted by Fate

Of course it's not hardcore because pretty much anyone can play it-- Elite Beat, that is. That's not what this thread is about, though.

Haha, Zeta arguing EBA is hardcore. Please. Any rhythm game like that is is automatically casual. Much in the same vein as the Guitar Hero series. I don't think anyone would argue Guitar Hero is hardcore.

In before Speedfreak and "man, casual and hardcore or just made up terms, man. they don't mean anything."

Posted by Ant

Please, keep it all in one threads...fags.

And honestly, I think the best strateegery would be to start with the classic era games on the NES, Genesis, SNES and work your way up from there. Pretty sure that's how the majority of us did it. (SEE LIST)

Posted by Lord of Spam

final fantasy tactics. do it, do it now.

Posted by S

[quote=Speedfreak]Ashen - get Terranigma on SNES, Ikaruga and Pikmin 2 on GC and the new Advance wars on DS. Tha'll do for now.

Thread split. Carry on.

Posted by Ashen

All right, so I've been going through a lot of these. Right now I'm focusing on Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario World (yeah, I know it's not on the list, but I haven't played it). I'm also getting myself into Wonder Project J because it's obscure, it's Japanese, and I'm a effing weeaboo. Only the first one, though. I tried the second one and 1) I can't get the C-buttons to work, thus rendering the game impossible and 2) JESUS JOSETTE IS ANNOYING D:

But, yeah. I'd love to record my trials and tribulations, but I need a new mic first and recording software that won't lag everything to hell and back, like Cam Studio seems to.

Onto the subject on Ninja Gaiden...

GAHHHHH I HATE ****ING BIRDSSSSSS

*ahem*... carry on.

Quoted post: Right now I'm focusing on Ninja Gaiden

ALL RIGHT! Best game ever. Just wait until the ghost fish.

Posted by Sinister Obsession

If you want to help your hand coordination you can play some guitar hero. If you really want to increase your first person shooter skills get a xbox 260 and get Gears of War and Halo 3 and play xbox live you'll get better real fast there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Sinister Obsession;822120]get Gears of War and Halo 3 and play xbox live you'll get better real fast there.
You picked two games where skill is perhaps the least important factor in victory.

Posted by JonMB

Ahh come on. Halo has a lot of skill involved. I mean, it's no Starcraft... but you make it sound like Mario Party. ;)

You guys want hardcore? Silver Surfer on the NES. Good luck.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Sinister Obsession: get a xbox 260 and get Gears of War and Halo 3 and play xbox live you'll get better real fast there.

What is this Xbox 260 you speak of?

And since when is Gears a first person shooter?

Posted by JonMB

Such silly questions. I'm sorry, but you all need to do some research. I'll just tell it to you simply, this one time.

Gears of War is a first person shooter on the Xbox 260 system.

And you call yourself gamers. You guys make me sick.

Posted by ZEN

Quoting JonMB: You guys want hardcore? Silver Surfer on the NES. Good luck.

http://www.playthenes.com/1Life2Live/1Life2Live_Silver_Surfer.htm
No death.

The level of "hardcore" that hardcore players dream about being hardcore.

Posted by oxpecker123

Quoting JonMB: Such silly questions. I'm sorry, but you all need to do some research. I'll just tell it to you simply, this one time.

Gears of War is a first person shooter on the Xbox 260 system.

And you call yourself gamers. You guys make me sick.

Gears of war isn't a first person shooter becuase you can see yourself shoot

Posted by Shade

No ****, sherlock. Sarcasm get.

Quoted post: Gears of war isn't a first person shooter becuase you can see yourself shoot

Did you just decide to ignore the rest of that post? Moron.

Posted by WillisGreeny

lol. Lightbulb get.