do you think Megaman games are hard?

Posted by Red

in a semi-recent Nintendo Power, they did a 20th anniversary Megaman article, they did 20 questions with one of the producers of the games, and they has "20 things they like about Megaman".

In the article it is stated several times that Megaman games have a certain "challenge" to them, especially the Zero series. while I agree that the Zero games were possibly the most difficult, I disagree with any of the other series being "hard". I had never considered Megaman games to be difficult have you?

Posted by Zeta

Depends. Some parts are pretty difficult.

I'm looking at you, DynamoMan...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Depends on how you play the game. For example; fighting bosses with just plasma would be a lot more difficult than just using the ability they're weak against. Depending on which abilities the player gets first can also affect player's ease of progressing through the levels, Rush items especially.

That said, the first Megaman game would be really hard if the player tried going after Electman first. (Bet you all just LOVE going after Cutman first, wussies)

Posted by CS Ryan

I disagree to part of NP's statement. I find the Zero series the EASIEST series of all of them. To me, Classic is too difficult. Probably because I started playing MegaMan platformers knowing I had a wall kick, and then they "take it away"!

They're not difficult, just on the odd occasion, frustrating. (epspecially the disappearing blocks in the Classic series)

And besides, MMBN and MMSF are just TOO EASY anyways.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting WillisGreeny: (Bet you all just LOVE going after Cutman first, wussies)

WHY WOULD I GO AFTER CUTMAN WHEN BOMBMAN IS EASIER?

Posted by Ashen

I think it also depends on your experience with platformers. Like I've said before, I came to Mega Man from the Metroid series, where you could, you know, actually shoot UP AND DOWN and you didn't die by hitting things once. Cave Story, the only other platformer I've played, is similar, though it does have the 1-hit kill spikes. It takes practice for anything, though.

And it seems to me that, as the series went on, weaknesses became more difficult to discern. I mean, it's darn easy to tell that Heat Man is weak to the Lead Bubble in MM2, but it's a little more difficult to tell the weaknesses of the bosses in, say, MMZX:A. I'm still finding that I do more damage with a charged up Model A shot than with anything else.

Posted by WillisGreeny

10 games later, yeah, there's a difference...

I'd like to know how you skipped Mario, Ashen? That's considered platform aswell.

Quoting Zeta: WHY WOULD I GO AFTER CUTMAN WHEN BOMBMAN IS EASIER?

Cutman's stage is easier :P

Posted by Ashen

Quoting WillisGreeny: I'd like to know how you skipped Mario, Ashen? That's considered platform aswell.

I used to play Super Mario World. But only when I was younger. I don't think I've revisited it since. Might be because I'm one of those people who like to kill things, and from a distance. In terms of total Mario experience, though... I completely and utterly FAIL at Super Mario Sunshine. It might help if I played more, though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I find the NES Megamans the hardest. Could never do Wily's Stage 2 in MM2 without savestates.

Posted by Zeta

Wily's stages in 2 were only hard because you needed specific abilities to beat certain bosses. :(

Posted by Red

damn, I forgot about the Wily stages...I guess those were somewhat of a challenge, I mean a few times I found myself just saying **** this, and then using cheats to get hydouken, or whatever the secret ability in that game was.

Posted by Ashen

... Well, at least I know I suck at the original game, even doing Cutman's stage first. XD [stupid shoot-y thingies...]

Posted by WillisGreeny

I remember a room in Wily's stage in MM3 where I had to jump on these platforms that would launch up as soon as I had landed, then having to jump to the next platform before colliding into the spikes along the ceiling. Hard part was making sure I didn't jump too high off the platform and into the spikes, yet still reach the next platform. One screw up with either jumping too high or jumping too low came GAMEOVER. hated that spot. Trick was to just fall off the platform and not jump, but even that is nerve racking because the platform is accelerating toward the ceiling, making it hard to time.

Posted by neo prime

I'd have to say that Battle network and Starforce really aren't that hard. Now on the other hand, I'm finding Zero series where more of the challenge lies, but thats just me, not that I'm complaining

Posted by tina.anderson

I always thought Mega Man 2 was pretty difficult, but of course it was a lot of fun to play and it was challenging in a good way.

Posted by WillisGreeny

That was always nice about the original MM games; the levels were always trying to challeng the player in different ways. It's also nice to see the tradition living on in the new Zero/ZX games.

Posted by O.T.L

mmX was my fav , i got sad when zero died in that game ...

but then got really happy and excited when zero gave me his power !
and became glad he died cause all my blasts became real strong
that game was what introduced me to mega man and so i love mega man now ....

Posted by muffla

http://kotaku.com/344322/beating-air-man-so-sad-so-frustrating-so-great
nuff said

Posted by ZOSO

personally i always found the classic NES series to be the easiest. i thought the X games were the toughest. but i must say, 1 level still gets me in megaman 2, QuickMan's stage. thats pretty frustrating. but i love playing all the games.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Oh gawd~ Quickman's stage was a *****.

How was X harder, exactly? YOU COULD CLIMB WALLS!

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=WillisGreeny;815756]Oh gawd~ Quickman's stage was a *****.

How was X harder, exactly? YOU COULD CLIMB WALLS!

No no, that just adds to the difficulty.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Posted by WillisGreeny

hold right, jump jump jump jump jump...

Posted by Zeta

BUT THEN THE WALL WILL CHANGE IN SOME WAY AND YOU'LL HAVE TO SWITCH QUICK

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Chill Penguin has the best stage.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I only found Zero that difficult...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting The X: Chill Penguin has the best stage.

Boots were hard to find :). Did anyone not go to Chill first? The boots made everything moar funnar.

Posted by CS Ryan

Chill was one of the LAST stages I normally do. Felt like making it a challenge. It wasn't.

Posted by GamerForce138

Some are challenging but they are still fun.

Posted by ZOSO

Quoting CS Ryan: Chill was one of the LAST stages I normally do. Felt like making it a challenge. It wasn't.

This is how i normally feel comfortable completing the stages..
(The only boss i use a weakness against is boomer quanger)

1. Chill Penguin
2. Flame Mammouth
3. Armored Armadillo
4. Spark Mandrill
5. Storm Eagle
6. Sting Chameleon
7. Launch Octopuss
8. Boomer Quanger <<< (I know i spelled that wrong.. sorry)

I find Boomer easiest if you jump to the upper corner of the wall, and just unload homming misles on him..

Posted by David M. Awesome

I had some trouble with X6 because there's a death trap every other step, but the bosses in that game didn't have much will to live. =/

Posted by ZOSO

someone will have to refresh my memory on this... was it X2 or X3 when the first sub boss after you beat the 8 robot masters, was a gorilla. i believe he threw explosives at you..

There are no robot masters in the X games, they are mavericks.

OR ARE THEY? OH *** WE CAN'T TELL ANYMORE.

In X2 the sub bosses after you beat the 8 mavericks were Serges, Agile, and that other guy whose name I can't remember. I don't remember X3 well enough to tell you since I haven't played it through since I was a kid.

Posted by Ashen

HOLY **** MEGA MAN 1 IS HARD D:

Then again, that's coming from someone who can barely get through Chill Penguin's stage in MMX. And is currently stuck trying to get to the Green Switch Palace in Super Mario World. Yeah.

Posted by Sk2k52

Quoting Ashen: HOLY **** MEGA MAN 1 IS HARD D:

Then again, that's coming from someone who can barely get through Chill Penguin's stage in MMX. And is currently stuck trying to get to the Green Switch Palace in Super Mario World. Yeah.

Wow.

Anyway, the original Mega Man series was pretty **** hard for me, I could never fully beat the game. Wily's fort always drove me insane.

While MMX games are supposed to be harder, but I was able to beat x1-x4 (got to the last level of x5 but that 1hit kill part drove me insane till I quit D; That's just frustratingly, not hard.)

MMZero series was pretty hard, but I got so skilled at it at one point I could beat the game without using anything but the double jump (<3 double jump). Of course after a few years between plying a mega man game, when I picked it up again I sucked xD

ZXAdvent is being pretty challenging atm, since I can't find any HP ups or subtanks ._.

Posted by muffla

ever since megaman went stray from the original 2d side scrollers i havent plaid them, some of them were a lil hard tho

Posted by WillisGreeny

Hasn't anyone told you? They've gone back to 2d.

Posted by muffla

!?! nice when was this?

Posted by WillisGreeny

They've never stopped !?

haha, wooooooooooooooow

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: haha, wooooooooooooooow

It's good to see I'm not the only one dumbfounded.

Posted by Roger Smith

Seriously though, Keiji said **** 2-D about 5 years ago, and he hasn't looked back since.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I wish they would do the same for Sonic. It's about time we get a 3d sonic game, amirite?

what's up, handhelds? The DS games are pretty solid.

Posted by muffla

i cant post immages any more

but http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefjIZt1HFx4B1JKjzbkF/SIG=14sufh8ao/EXP=1205778504/**http%3A//www.armchairempire.com/images/previews/multi-platform/mega-man-anniversary-collection/mega-man-anniversary-collection-4_small.jpg is good where as http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefY2Zt1H62EBdLqjzbkF/SIG=12nm7kgue/EXP=1205778358/**http%3A//www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a62479/a_med_MegaMan01.jpg is bad

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Some of the games were fairly difficult, but as a whole...there are definitely some more challenging series out there.

Contra and Ninja Gaiden for a few.

I can't decide if Demon's Crest or the MegaMan X series is harder, since they sort of play the same. =/

Posted by WillisGreeny

Let's take a Castlevania game and extend the reach of attack...zomg! works great.

Now, Let's take a Mario game and instead of having a slow acceleration let's make it a constant speed...Zomg! works great.

Ok guys, now to really make it original let's take the monster stealing ability from Kirby...Zomg! works great.

Whoala! Megaman platformer.

Posted by CS Ryan

Quoting WillisGreeny: Let's take a Castlevania game and extend the reach of attack...zomg! works great.

Now, Let's take a Mario game and instead of having a slow acceleration let's make it a constant speed...Zomg! works great.

Ok guys, now to really make it original let's take the monster stealing ability from Kirby...Zomg! works great.

Whoala! Megaman platformer.

And that's the only way that stuff gets fun.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting CS Ryan: And that's the only way that stuff gets fun.

ಠ_ಠ

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

In all of the megaman series i have played, the classic Megaman series has to be the most challenging. I could zoom through the X series, and battle network wasnt that bad, not to mention legends was so-so and the megaman zero series would probably be ranked the second hardest series.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

The original series is fairly tough, and the MMBN series is pretty challenging too - 2 and 3 are two of the only modern games I've played that still have tough bosses.

Posted by helgasboy

Hi this is my first post and I think the only parts of MegaMan games that are really hard are those dang levels with spikes all over the floor and ceiling One hit and it's bye bye MegaMan.

Posted by Phantasm

NAH NOT AT ALL.

At least for me, every Megaman game series is fairly easy.
Maybe except legends since those a bit longer.