Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP 8X any thoughts?

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

Hey guys.

I have a crappy fx5200. On newegg.com for $102 there is a chaintech 6200 128mb video card agp 8x for sale. I never heard of an agp version, but I saw it on nvidia's website and other places. Thnik this card is worth it? I am on a tight buget. I know it would stomp my fx5200 to hell. So for the $, think this is a good enough card to play games on decent settings? Oh yeah I am a nvidia guy so yeah :)

Posted by loony636

Just buy it. Its pretty good. I don't know that from personal experience, just from what people say on other forums.

Posted by captain caveman

what?? A 6200 for agp. That's crazy. I think you need to find some comparisons of the 6200 against the 9600 pro and xt. Also, if you look enough it can be possible to get a 9700 pro for that price. I got lucky and got a 9700pro for only $100, but it fired a couple monthst later(guess I'm not lucky then)

ooo, I just saw the card you're looking at. A reviewer said it only has 64 bit memory. If that's true you need to stay far away from that card.

Posted by higbvuyb

You call that crappy? I have an NVidia Vanta.

simce you said you're an nvidia guy. I think you should buy a used geforce 4 ti on ebay. That'll be a big upgrade from the 5200 and is cheap

kinda strange that you have a gig of ram, an athlon 64 and only an fx5200

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Don't get that crapy thing. If you can use it, get the 6800 SLI. You really can't get anything better from the nVidia family. If you want the very best of the OTHER world, an ATI Radeon X800 Pro. It's simply the best.

that's more than twice his budget and the sli card is obviously for pci express... and an x800xl is a better choice than an x800pro since it's out for agp now and at a good price, but these cards go way beyond the guys budget. Although he has a nice computer it would seem he would have money for a better video card though.

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

Well, I built this machine in january of this year. I did not have too much money. So the video card would have cost me the most on my buget. I plan on getting a new one in 2 months. Any other ideas on a good card priced around $130? Got any good links? TELL ME! I did upgrade to 1gb ram from buying a stick from my computer buddy for only $30 new! And I bought the HDD'S from him for $65. So I scored there. I apperciate your help :)

here's a 9700pro
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5181587088&rd=1
You can get one for cheaper, but that's just the cheapest with a buy it now. It's a good card, but it isn't an nvidia like you prefer. MAybe you should spend more to get a more expensive 6200. I believe newegg has one for agp that's under $130 that has 128 bit memory. Which is very crucial, but Idk if a 6200 will outpeform a 9700. However the 6200 can be modded and will surpass a 9700, but stock I think a 9700pro can beat it

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

My intentions were to mod it using rivatuner. I think I might get the 6200 256mb 128-bit off newegg. Then mod it to basically a 6600.

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

Wow, nvm. I think I am defeniently getting a 9700 off ebay! It has 256-bit memory! Faster core and memory speeds then the 6200! Thanks for showing this to me!!! Great deal on 9700's on ebay! Coolage! Will the ati work well in a nforce 3 mobo? Since it is a nvidia chip, will it decrease in performence? Most say no...awesome card!

it'll derfinately beat a stock 6200, but the 6600gt outperforms it with only the 128bit memory, so like I said you'll have to successfully mod the 6200 into a 6600 and it'll be on par with the 9700pro

o, and a 9700 pro should run just fine on that mobo