Posted by Speedfreak

So apparantly, despite the absolutely absurd amount of content, features and options and despite the impossibly large budget Mr Ashcraft of Kotaku reckons the game isn't next-gen.

What a tool.

I can't even see how "next-gen" is even a noteworthy attribute if Smash manages this level of awesome without it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's not next-gen because it could, in all likelihood, have been done on the Gamecube. Plus, I thought you loved Kotaku? Or are they only morons when they don't agree with you?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;812509]It's not next-gen because it could, in all likelihood, have been done on the Gamecube. Plus, I thought you loved Kotaku? Or are they only morons when they don't agree with you?

I'm constantly on it because it's a pretty handy central place for lots of game news among a few other on my favourites. But they tend to put a sh[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]tty spin on a lot of things or quite literally not know what they're talking about. Their opinions are ridiculously easily influenced by PR speak.

Could Brawl have been done on a GC, really? Would it have online with downloadable content delievered via WiiConnect24? Could all the music, cutscenes and other content fit on a GC disc? Was GC in a powerful enough position for the game to be delayed as many times as it has been for such a level of polish and did Nintendo have good enough relationships with all the 3rd parties that helped make the game a few years ago?

More importantly, is the only thing that makes a game next-gen it's graphics? Would it be "next-gen" if it had better graphics and was on a 360? Apparantly so, since no one made any complaints about Virtua Fighter 5 and SC4 despite not having anywhere near the amount of new content that Brawl does. What about Street Fighter IV, is regressing to a SFII state (thats 1991, by the way) and slapping on a new graphics engine really next-gen? I'm not slating those 3 games, I just find the intangible "next-gen" standards pretty bizarre with a hint of double standards.

TL;DR: What if they made 2 new versions of Monopoly, one with enhanced gameplay and one with a more detailed game board and peices. Which one's worthy of being called next-gen? When you decide think about what made you decide what "next-gen" actually defines, I mean really think about it. If you think the question is irrelevent t video games then also ask yourself why.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;812560]Would it have online with downloadable content delievered via WiiConnect24?
DLC - since when? And last generation, the XBox was using downloadable content for Halo 2 and MechAssault. It's not a brand new feature of the next-gen.

[quote=Speedfreak]Could all the music, cutscenes and other content fit on a GC disc?
The Wii uses CD format. Using CDs is not next-gen. Sup, Sega CD?

[quote=Speedfreak]Was GC in a powerful enough position for the game to be delayed as many times as it has been for such a level of polish
Irrelevant to the actual game mechanics and whether or not they're next-gen.

[quote=Speedfreak]and did Nintendo have good enough relationships with all the 3rd parties that helped make the game a few years ago?
Kojima wanted Snake in Melee before the Gamecube had even been launched. Still irrelevant. Having Sonic the Hedgehog as a character in your game makes it next-gen?

[quote]More importantly, is the only thing that makes a game next-gen it's graphics? Would it be "next-gen" if it had better graphics and was on a 360? For a game to be 'next-gen', it has to make real use of a next-gen console. In this case, for a Wii game to be next-gen, it would have to make use of the Wii's motion/pointing facilities. For a PS3 game to be regarded as 'next-gen', it would have to make good use of Blu-ray, Cell processing, etc. Same goes for a 360 next-gen title. Burnout Paradise, for instance, would be considered next-gen because it simply wouldn't have been possible in the last generation of consoles. Brawl could have been.

The fact you can play through Brawl entirely with a Cube pad is pretty blatant evidence that Brawl isn't a next generation game.

tl;dr - Brawl is doing nothing that we couldn't have seen in the last hardware generation. Therefore it isn't next-gen.

Posted by S

I'm content with Last-gen, then. Next-gen hasn't been all that appealing anyhow.

Posted by maian

Can it do everything a last gen system could do? Yes.

Will it be the best game ever made? Yes.

ARGUMENTS NULLIFIED

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=The X;812568]DLC - since when? And last generation, the XBox was using downloadable content for Halo 2 and MechAssault. It's not a brand new feature of the next-gen.

You can download levels.

DLC wasnt available on GC. Therefore GC could not do that. Remember Smash Bros appeared on GC, not Xbox.

[quote]For a game to be 'next-gen', it has to make real use of a next-gen console. In this case, for a Wii game to be next-gen, it would have to make use of the Wii's motion/pointing facilities. For a PS3 game to be regarded as 'next-gen', it would have to make good use of Blu-ray, Cell processing, etc. Same goes for a 360 next-gen title. Burnout Paradise, for instance, would be considered next-gen because it simply wouldn't have been possible in the last generation of consoles. Brawl could have been.

Not every game makes use of it's console's abilities. How man 360 games have voice input? Why not? Xbox has a microphone does it not? Does every online game for Xbox 360 support offline split screen and lan? And DLC? And super nice pretty graphics? Flawed logic.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: DLC wasnt available on GC. Therefore GC could not do that. Remember Smash Bros appeared on GC, not Xbox.

It's whether or not the game is next-gen or not. Xbox was last-gen, and if it could be done on the Xbox it's a last-gen game. Simple.

Quoted post: Not every game makes use of it's console's abilities. How man 360 games have voice input? Why not? Xbox has a microphone does it not? Does every online game for Xbox 360 support offline split screen and lan? And DLC? And super nice pretty graphics? Flawed logic.

Voice input? Doesn't work. Rainbow had it and so did a few other games. Turns out it's easier to press up on the d-pad. The majority of games still use the headset however because most are online. As for offline splitscreen, what does that have to do with anything? It's a design decision to leave that out because it often isn't necessary. And most games have DLC.

Either way, not every game on the 360 is next-gen, no one is saying that. There's totally last-gen games on the 360, but that has nothing to do with Smash. It's really just a last-gen title in all ways, but so what? It's going to be better than almost every current-gen title. It's not an insult, just a fact. There's nothing it's doing that couldn't be done on a GC, PS2 or Xbox.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's whether or not the game is next-gen or not. Xbox was last-gen, and if it could be done on the Xbox it's a last-gen game. Simple.

So now its a question on whether it could have been done on a different console, not the previous home own? Thats dumb. If Wii can do it but GC couldnt its next gen. Otherwise thats like saying Wii Sports wouldnt work on 360 so Wii Sports is next gen 360 isnt. You have to compare the console and context on the console it could have been on. **** it Wii, 360 and PS3 arent next gen because they could all be done better on a PC.

[quote]Voice input? Doesn't work. Rainbow had it and so did a few other games. Turns out it's easier to press up on the d-pad. The majority of games still use the headset however because most are online. As for offline splitscreen, what does that have to do with anything? It's a design decision to leave that out because it often isn't necessary. And most games have DLC.

Either way, not every game on the 360 is next-gen, no one is saying that. There's totally last-gen games on the 360, but that has nothing to do with Smash. It's really just a last-gen title in all ways, but so what? It's going to be better than almost every current-gen title. It's not an insult, just a fact. There's nothing it's doing that couldn't be done on a GC, PS2 or Xbox.

X was saying for a game to be next gen it needs to use everything about the console. Whether or not some developers sucked at using one aspect of the console is irrelevant. Under his own logic no 360 game is next gen unless it uses the voice input. How well it does it is meaningless.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;812813]X was saying for a game to be next gen it needs to use everything about the console. Whether or not some developers sucked at using one aspect of the console is irrelevant. Under his own logic no 360 game is next gen unless it uses the voice input. How well it does it is meaningless.
No, it doesn't have use everything. I never, ever said that. It has to make use of things that weren't available last gen to be considering 'next-gen'. There wasn't a motion-sensitive console on the market in the last generation. There wasn't a console that used Blu-Ray discs. There wasn't a console that made online play integral to the experience.

For a game to be next-gen, it has to be doing things that weren't possible on the Gamecube, PS2 or XBox. By your logic, a new Atari console could have basic 3D graphics and be considering next-gen, simply because the Atari Jaguar used 2D graphics. Generations aren't company-linear. They span the whole video game market.

Whether it's Wii Sports motion controls, the amount of content contained on Metal Gear Solid 4's Blu-Ray disc, or Halo 3's implementation of high-detail leaderboards, content sharing and map-making features - that's next-gen. Those are things you simply couldn't do last generation.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is gonna be an amazing game, worthy of heaps of praise. I'll buy it, love it, and it'll probably be the only game I'll play ten years from now. But I won't indulge in any kind of fantasy that it's next-gen, because everything it does could have been done on the Cube. Even online.

Posted by Bebop

Hold on a sec, if a game appears on Blu Ray, no matter what it's content, it's automatically next-gen because of it's format?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If it's making good use of Blu-Ray, then yeah. MGS4's doing that. You couldn't have fitted it onto a DVD. Obviously, if I slapped Brawl on a Blu-Ray disc for no good reason, that wouldn't be next-gen. More like an unnecessary waste of resources.

Quoted post: So now its a question on whether it could have been done on a different console, not the previous home own? Thats dumb. If Wii can do it but GC couldnt its next gen. Otherwise thats like saying Wii Sports wouldnt work on 360 so Wii Sports is next gen 360 isnt. You have to compare the console and context on the console it could have been on. **** it Wii, 360 and PS3 arent next gen because they could all be done better on a PC.

There's three consoles in this generation. Wii, PS3, 360. They all do things the others can't. If a game is motion controlled, it's next-gen because no console had motion controls last-gen. If a game is massive and can't fit on your standard DVD disc, it's next-gen because there was no Blu-Ray last-gen. If a game has incredibly intricate online-play it's next-gen, because that didn't happen last-gen. A game doesn't have to use all three to be current-gen, it just needs to do something next-gen. Simple.

Smash, however, does really nothing all the new consoles specialize in. It just does what all the old consoles specialized in very well. Seriously, list something current-gen about it. How does it compare to, let's say, Oblivion, Burnout Paradise, even Warhawk or Wii Sports? It's a 2D game with limited online. That's it.

Posted by Bebop

GC couldnt do DLC. Smash does. Xbox could do DLC but thats an unfair comparison because if Brawl were to be last gen you could only consider it on the console it would have appeared on. It's next gen just on that primitive definition. Frankly I would say Brawl's conent is next gen when compared with the content of the games listed. Some of them may be prettier looking but we all know graphics doesnt mean next gen.

Quoted post: Frankly I would say Brawl's conent is next gen when compared with the content of the games listed.

Except Burnout, Oblivion, Warhawk and Wii Sports couldn't be done on the Xbox, GC or PS2. Graphics aside. It's not that difficult.

And it's not an unfair comparison because "generation" is just that. It's an entire generation of consoles. Much like how Baby Boomers is a generation, not just a single individual, last-gen was GC, Xbox and PS2, not just the GC.

Posted by Bebop

Sorry, in what way coudlnt those games be done on Xbox? Assuming som corners were cut for graphics it'd be acheivable.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Taking Burnout Paradise as an example, you couldn't make an entire free-roaming city with no load times on the XBox. Then throw in an online system where you don't even have to return to a lobby to get people in on your game. The outstanding graphics are a part of the next-gen. They're not the entire foundation of it, but having pretty as hell games is one of the benefits on the next generation, I won't deny it.

Quoted post: Sorry, in what way coudlnt those games be done on Xbox? Assuming som corners were cut for graphics it'd be acheivable.

The big draw of Paradise is online and how streamlined it is, the Xbox wasn't that capable and Warhawk is purely online with large-scale battles and severs. Again, it couldn't be done on the Xbox. As for Wii Sports, well, that's obvious. No motion controls on the last-gen consoles. And for Oblivion, graphics are a big part of why it's next-gen (like all current-gen titles), but that greatly helps in immersion, playability, size, smoothness and so forth. Compare Morrowind to Oblivion for example. There's a noticeable jump.

Posted by Bebop

1st party GC games didn't suffer from load times. Alot of 3rd ones too. Load times are last gen.
PS2 managed to cope with San Andreas just fine. I doubt paradise's city is larger than that. If PS2 could do it fine I don't see why Xbox couldn't.

Quoted post: 1st party GC games didn't suffer from load times. Alot of 3rd ones too. Load times are last gen.
PS2 managed to cope with San Andreas just fine. I doubt paradise's city is larger than that. If PS2 could do it fine I don't see why Xbox couldn't.

Okay, then how would it have dealt with online? How would it have dealt with free-roam with the same level of quality graphics and detail? Not too well. You're cutting large portions of gameplay out to make it fit onto an Xbox. Seriously, you're grasping for straws.

Posted by Bebop

It wouldnt have been able to deal with the same level of graphical quality and detail but we agreeded it's more than graphics that make something next gen. Graphics arent gameplay. They could have done a free roam city, but just because it wouldnt be as nice to look at doesnt mean it wasnt acheivable.

As for the online I don't know too much about it. However seeing as Brawl can pair you with an opponent and continue a battle following connection problems I'm sure Xbox could especially when you consider this is Nitendos first REAl home internet play, and Xbox raised the bar on its first try.

Quoted post: As for the online I don't know too much about it. However seeing as Brawl can pair you with an opponent and continue a battle following connection problems I'm sure Xbox could especially when you consider this is Nitendos first REAl home internet play, and Xbox raised the bar on its first try.

Aaaaaand online is the main draw of Paradise. Sorry, but it couldn't be done on the Xbox. It's seamless, literally. I can press left on the d-pad at any time and suddenly be playing on a British server with Willeth and X and five other people, nothing unchanged, no lag or hitches. Impossible on the last-gen consoles.

Though if you're seriously comparing the most basic of online modes I've seen on a console to Burnout, or anything on the 360... hahaha, wow. Smash's online is laughable at best.

Posted by Bebop

If Wii can do something similar to that on it's first try of a more primitive online play structure theres no reason why Xbox couldnt do that. Sounds like an issue of the developers, not the hardware.

All right, so you're an idiot? Jesus. How long did your brother test this game?

Posted by Bebop

As far as I know he didn't test Paradise. Paradise sounds more last gen than next gen.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[url=http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=24614&highlight=burnout]Haha, oh wow.[/url]

No idea what you're talking about, I guess.

Posted by Bebop

HOLY **** A THREAD ON A GAME I DONT CARE ABOUT AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING I MUST READ IT!!!1!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I think you'd at least know what game your brother was testing.

Quoted post: HOLY **** A THREAD ON A GAME I DONT CARE ABOUT AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING I MUST READ IT!!!1!

If you're going to ****ing argue about it, uh, yeah, you'd think you'd study up on it a bit or use its Wiki page instead of talking out of your ***. Oh wait, this is Bebop I'm talking to.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: I think you'd at least know what game your brother was testing.

I was under the impression he wasn't allowed to talk about certain aspects of it. Besides I knew he tested a Burnout game but **** me I'm pretty sure no less than 16 Burnout titles were released during his small contract time. If it helps I have no idea what he had for breakfast today.

Vamp, my poor misguided boy, I'm not arguing about the game. I'm about your ill judgement. I asked you in what way Burnout could not be last gen and the answers you gave me were a>loading times b>its large map and c> its online structure. I debunked A and B easily. As for C, I'm just speculating that it could have been possible given a newer, more limited service can do something quite similar. Reasonable assumption I feel. Especially considering the information you gave me about the online was what I was using. Something I made clear. Perhaps you should have expanded on it more beforehand rather than just syaing "lol its better than xbox cos it just is ha ha oh wow"?

Quoted post: I debunked A and B easily.

By making it ugly and occasionally adding load times ala San Andreas? Haha, okay. How utterly next-gen :rolleyes:

Quoted post: As for C, I'm just speculating that it could have been possible given a newer, more limited service can do something quite similar. Reasonable assumption I feel. Especially considering the information you gave me about the online was what I was using. Something I made clear Perhaps if you expanded on it more beforehand?

I gave you all the information you needed: Large, open world. A Canadian playing on a British server against a Scot and five Americans. No lag. No slowdown. Seamless entry into online.

Again, impossible on last-gen consoles. Yet, somehow, Smash, a game that takes place on a single, small level against four people max (without any sort of stats or identification,) occasionally experiences lag, involves multiple menus, involves lots of loading and connecting to the online interface, is somehow comparable to you. All right.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: By making it ugly and occasionally adding load times ala San Andreas? Haha, okay. How utterly next-gen :rolleyes:
We've already assessed that being pretty doesnt make it next gen. It's been said if it could have been done last gen, than its last gen. San Andreas had 1 load time I beleive on a console so inferior technoligically than Xbox. It may not have been as pretty than 360, but Paradise could be an Xbox title based from these respects.

[quote]I gave you all the information you needed: Large, open world.
Ok so it's a big playable map? Thats not remotely vague in the slightest.

Ever played Joint Operations? Huge maps that go on forever that support 150 people. Ho hum.

[quote]A Canadian playing on a British server against a Scot and five Americans. No lag. No slowdown. Seamless entry into online.

Silly me I forgot to check my book which stores all the nationalities of the people you play against, where they play from and what their internet connection speed is. In future please remember this type of information is more handy than "lol I can play aginst DEATH2FAR and MASTERCHIEF13144 whenever I want too".

[quote]Again, impossible on last-gen consoles.
Not entirely maaaaaaaa boooooiiii

[quote]Yet, somehow, Smash, a game that takes place on a single, small level against four people max (without any sort of stats or identification,) occasionally experiences lag, involves multiple menus, involves lots of loading and connecting to the online interface, is somehow comparable to you. All right.

I didnt' say Smash was next gen. Or last gen. I just said that using the reasoning being shown here it is next gen.
X said it wasnt because it could be done on GC.
GC didnt have DLC.
Also Smash supports WiiMote and Connect24.
Last gen didnt support these controllers and as far as I know Live isnt Connect24.

First part: It's the graphical quality combined with the smoothness of gameplay while being online. Not going to happen on a last-gen console.

Second bit: For some reason, I think you know I'm Canadian, and I'm pretty positive you know X and Willeth live in the UK. On top of that I figured you'd know that's a fairly large distance between the two nations and sending that much information back and forth obviously leads to quite a bit of lag in the majority of games. Not having that in Burnout is a big deal. I apologize if I didn't factor in your complete ignorance on a topic you were arguing.

Quoted post: Not entirely maaaaaaaa boooooiiii

Entirely impossible.

Quoted post: I didnt' say Smash was next gen. Or last gen. I just said that using the reasoning being shown here it is next gen.
X said it wasnt because it could be done on GC.
GC didnt have DLC.
Also Smash supports WiiMote and Connect24.
Last gen didnt support these controllers and as far as I know Live isnt Connect24.

This is what X said: "tl;dr - Brawl is doing nothing that we couldn't have seen in the last hardware generation. Therefore it isn't next-gen." Which seems to be his general feelings on the topic, no matter what his first post might've said.

Beyond that, this started from the Kotaku article where the editor said it wasn't a next-gen title. Not that it could've or couldn't've been done on the GC, just that it isn't a next-gen game because it doesn't fit any of the qualifications.

Posted by Fate

Generation of console features, Bebop, not a single console. DLC was done last gen (or the gen before??) so it's not next-gen.

Quoted post: Beyond that, this started from the Kotaku article where the editor said it wasn't a next-gen title. Not that it could've or couldn't've been done on the GC, just that it isn't a next-gen game because it doesn't fit any of the qualifications.

To add onto this: He says "It's no secret that SSBB is really a GameCube 1.5 game. Yes, you probably could've even played this on your Nintendo 64, but that's not the point." Saying, "SBB sticks by those conventions and sticks by them closely. It just does that bigger and grander than ever before." Keep in mind he apparently wasn't even able to play online, though stated it was half-baked and "quote-un-quote next gen."

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Vampiro V. Empire;812885]First part: It's the graphical quality combined with the smoothness of gameplay while being online. Not going to happen on a last-gen console.

[quote]Second bit: For some reason, I think you know I'm Canadian, and I'm pretty positive you know X and Willeth live in the UK. On top of that I figured you'd know that's a fairly large distance between the two nations and sending that much information back and forth obviously leads to quite a bit of lag in the majority of games. Not having that in Burnout is a big deal. I apologize if I didn't factor in your complete ignorance on a topic you were arguing.

I've had smooth play with Americans during Xbox Live as well as PC games. No lag across timezones isnt unheard of. I'm sorry that you think you're gameplay experiences are totally unique.

[quote]Entirely impossible.
Large maps and no loading times are not a new thing. So it's not entirely impossible.

Quoted post: I've had smooth play with Americans during Xbox Live as well as PC games. No lag across timezones isnt unheard of. I'm sorry that you think you're gameplay experiences are totally unique.

Then you haven't played it frequently enough. It's not a constant occurrence, aided by joining a UK host, but it's unavoidable. Even I experience lag from one side of Canada to the other side of the States occasionally, and I have a good connection. Burnout though, no matter where the host or how lousy he is, it's always solid. That's a fairly remarkable feat.

Quoted post: Large maps and no loading times are not a new thing. So it's not entirely impossible.

Yes, I realise you can't read properly. That's fine.

Posted by Speedfreak

Constant goalpost moving for the f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking lose. Looks like you guys don't know what it means either.

So because it was possible on an Xbox it's irrelevent (despite the sharing of user-created content, which was actually all I was referring to, but I think you knew that anyway)? I guess nothing on Xbox 360 is "next-gen" because PC did it all bloody ages ago. You could move the goalposts over to where it says "PC is a different market" if you want, no one's used it yet. Or you could just admit it doesn't mean jack shit and is quite literally a PR phrase used to belittle competition that's been used for the last two generations. Unless you want to show me some serious game theory work that actually gives the term some credit.

There's 3 options for you, bud.

Why would PC count in this discussion exactly? It is a completely different market and most PC gamers are proud of that fact. PC has always been one step ahead of the console market, but really, they're just that, two different markets. As for the term next-gen, there's at least some validity to the term. If a game couldn't've been made on a previous generation console, it's easily defined as a "next-gen" product. Makes perfect sense to me!

Though, really, why it matters is beyond me. If Smash is a "last-gen" effort and still manages to be an amazing game, far exceeding most "current-gen" titles, who gives a ****? And really, that was my only point from the get-go. I just thought it was stupid you guys thought it was a next-gen game and took the fact that it wasn't as an insult of some sort.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=TechEncyclopedia]
A common label applied to a major upgrade of a hardware or software product.

Next Gen has been a code word for graphics in videogame ever since Nintendo Power printed it in their mag. People are use to thinking Next Gen inplys graphics, and probably don't consider the Wii Next gen. Because of this, I feel that the term is out of date, considering Nintendo choose motion controls over higher graphics, an upgrade disregaurding graphics. People who consider motion controls an upgrade of technology, like me, thinks the Wii is Next Gen. People thinking online play for Smash is an upgrade will also think Smash is Next Gen. Opinion opinion.

Either way, saying there is one "right" interpretation is just bogus, since the defintion itself is just a label of opinion.

Quoted post: A common label applied to a major upgrade of a hardware or software product.

Quoted post:
People are use to thinking Next Gen inplys graphics, and probably don't consider the Wii Next gen.

Major upgrade sounds pretty broad to me, not just focused on graphics! Doesn't really matter if "people" think next-gen is purely graphics because it's clearly not. Both XBL and PSN are big focal points of this generation which are clearly "next-fen" features for console gaming.

Posted by WillisGreeny

It depends on whatever someone considers a big upgrade; so depending on what focal points a person consideres major-improvements--that will be how they'll decide if it's next gen. I don't believe graphics is where it's all at either, though I get the feeling a lot of people do.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;813431]Why would PC count in this discussion exactly? It is a completely different market and most PC gamers are proud of that fact. PC has always been one step ahead of the console market, but really, they're just that, two different markets. As for the term next-gen, there's at least some validity to the term. If a game couldn't've been made on a previous generation console, it's easily defined as a "next-gen" product. Makes perfect sense to me!

Though, really, why it matters is beyond me. If Smash is a "last-gen" effort and still manages to be an amazing game, far exceeding most "current-gen" titles, who gives a ****? And really, that was my only point from the get-go. I just thought it was stupid you guys thought it was a next-gen game and took the fact that it wasn't as an insult of some sort.

It was really more the fact that Ashcraft meant it as some kind of insult, despite being entirely hypocritical with the phrase. On that site "next-gen" is apparantly a very important attribute for a game. Any game that doesn't achieve the fabled next-gen standard is the worse for it, despite them never defining it and it seemingly always being about graphics. It's only ever an issue to them when the game is on Wii no matter how good it is or when it's a particularly bad 360/PS3 game. It's not a level playing field.

Except the whole article is basically praising the game. He mentions it could've been done on the N64, but says how amazing the single-player alone is. If what you say is right, than that's an even bigger compliment. It's not next-gen to him, which is a big deal to him, yet it's an awesome game? That's high praise.

Quoted post: though I get the feeling a lot of people do.

Like that ****ing matters. Most people are idiots and buy **** games.