Ripping Dvds

Posted by Shin-Ra

I have Windows XP and I'm looking for good dvd ripping software. I don't want to pay too much over $100 and I don't want anything that's total crap. Suggestions?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

DVD Decrypter and dvd2one. Or DVDshrink. I use both at work for running movies on display. The latter is your best choice though. Freeware too.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Alright, so I got DVDshrink, but I can't figure out how to access subtitles. Help?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

You should just be able to copy the whole DVD, menus, extras, everything included and activate them on your player like any other movie.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Thanks man.

If anyone else gets this program, you can get directions on forcing subtitles here:
http://www.dvdshrink.info/forcing_subs.php

Posted by Gollum

There's almost never a need to purchase software for popular tasks like that. Ripping/converting music, dvd playing and ripping, etc. can all be done for free with various programs.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Alright, so .VOB is way too huge for me to store all of my movies. What format should I convert to and what should I use? I've never downloaded a movie, so I have no idea what format they're usually in.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I usually find them in .AVI .MPEG or in an .iso format.

Get Alcohol 120% for converting to .iso or MagicISO. Just get the serials for them.

Posted by Gollum

Well, Xvid is a pretty common compression format, and a good choice. However, it won't give you the best quality.

If you want the best quality, you should use FairUse Wizard (free) and the x264 codec. I also found a guide for you [url=http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/160/59/]here[/url]. FairUse Wizard can also compress to Xvid, so whatever you choose, there's a choice for a program. Else, a google search for "dvd rip to avi" should yield you a ton of other programs.

Posted by Ezili

Im also interested in this. Does anyone know a good DVD Ripper to AVI format? I googled it but Im afraid to download a spyware version of something.

Posted by Shin-Ra

All I need is something that converts already ripped VOB files to some smaller format that's not all lame (something like mpeg, mov, avi, whatever is cool). I don't need a new dvd ripper like some of those mentioned. I also don't want to mess with serial numbers, exclusive formats, and overly bulky programs. A converter that's the equivalent of that DVD Shrink program would be perfect, because that's all I need.

And thanks for all the help everyone. This has been soooo helpful and I really appreciate it a lot.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Bump.

Disregard my last post. Gollum, this one's for you since you seem to know what you're talking about on this subject. I've decided to just burn all the stuff I have as vob onto disc. What's a good dvd burning software that's free and pretty effortless to get ahold of? As in, what do you use?

Posted by Gollum

Well, when I copy a movie, I like to copy it directly into .iso format, so I can burn it with DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode. However, it sounds like you have your movies in VIDEO_TS folders. Personally, I use Nero to burn DVD-Video files, but it isn't free. I searched online and found that [url=http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download?latest]this[/url] program is supposed to be one of the best free tools. I downloaded it to test. To turn a DVD Video, you have to go File -> Video DVD Layout and select the folder. That should be it.

Let me know how it goes. I've never used that program before but it seems easy enough.