ALAS, MATH HAS ANSWERED THE GREAT QUESTION.

Posted by Roger Smith

WHY ARE SILLY WALKS SILLY?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22054850-1702,00.html

THANKS MATH, WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT YOU? PROBABLY OFF WONDERING WHAT MAKES SILLY WALKS SO SILLY.

Posted by Iris

Could be worse, they could be finding a cure for AIDS or something.

Posted by Xero

Better than nothing...

Posted by Omni

They needed to do research to explain something that's pretty much common sense. Figures.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: but are simply too expensive in metabolic energy compared to conventional locomotion,

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait, really? Seriously?

No ****ing kidding.

Posted by Zeta

And now for something completely different.

Posted by Shade

Thank *** they've cracked that mystery.

Posted by Slade

way to misuse "alas," buddy. Got a good laugh out of the article, though.

Quoted post: The research, which appears in Proceedings of the Royal Society A, is potentially useful in biomechanics and robotics

No one was planning on building a silly-walking robot.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Slade: way to misuse "alas," buddy. Got a good laugh out of the article, though.

Way to draw attn away from the funny article pal.

Posted by Slade

Aaaand then I brought it back by quoting the article and making a remark about it. See where I did that? Yeah?

Quoted post: and impulsive running is energetically optimal at higher speeds

Looks like Running Kid had it right all along...

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Slade: Aaaand then I brought it back by quoting the article and making a remark about it. See where I did that? Yeah?

:D

Posted by WillisGreeny

So, Monty Python is posing the big questions needing answering now-a-days? Society is ****ed. :(

Posted by Borealis

THX MATHS

Posted by Slade

Quoting WillisGreeny: So, Monty Python is posing the big questions needing answering now-a-days? Society is ****ed. :(

In all seriousness, I think it's good that there are stupid things like this being researched. Otherwise, there's a tendency for research to go to the highest bidder, usually a big company, who then can tweak the results to meet their marketing needs. At least with this one, you can be pretty sure no one is going to get a boost in sales out of it.

TOMORROW'S HEADLINES: Silly-Walking Robots Inc. Out of Business

SWR Inc. CEO says, "They were simply too expensive in metabolic energy compared to robots utilizing conventional locomotion."

Posted by Bebop

No **** Sherlock

Posted by Speedfreak

Outside of the Monty Python stuff I can see how this research would be useful.