New Hammock Info

Posted by Omni

[quote]Hi, friends, and happy new year!

Hammock has made a new record called "Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow". As some of you might remember, Hammock performed live for the first time ever in Hot Springs last summer for the US debut art exhibition of Riceboy Sleeps. Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow is a studio recording of the sound installation that we wrote and performed for that event. Actually, studio performance is a better way to put it (more on that below). The title of the record comes from a Riceboy Sleeps painting that we love. Theres still a lot of work going on behind the scenes, but we hope to have it out sometime in March.

Were really happy to announce that the front and back cover artwork will be created by Riceboy Sleeps (Jonsi Birgisson, lead singer/guitarist of Sigur Ros and Alex Somers of Parachutes). The six-panel, cardstock CD package will also include contributions by Chuck Dodson (words) and Thomas Petillo (photographs of the band, a first for us).

Being so connected to this music means its difficult for us to describe it, but we feel like this might be our most personal and focused record to date. Its definitely our most ambient release so far, it contains no beats. The guitar parts for these eleven new pieces were recorded live in the studio with very little use of a click track. We recorded these songs exactly as we performed them, so hopefully theres a spontaneity and vulnerability to the music that shines through. The string parts were added in later by our friend Matt Slocum. Working this way was a new experience for us, and we feel like this approach gives this record its own unique personality.

An even bigger challenge than making the recording itself was writing the music. All of these songs had to be written keeping in mind that we would be reproducing it onstage using nothing more than two guitars. The question was, Given the limitations, could we write music that was moving and interesting? Those limitations were really self-imposed, and thats the philosophy behind this record. Some of the visual artists that we admire the most will deliberately limit themselves to working within one particular medium, and we took a similar approach for this recording.

We hope you like the music, and as always, thank you for listening. We will be performing live in 2008, and there will be more news to come on that in the coming months. Hope to see some of you in person this year.

I'll buy it. There's also a standard album coming from them, too.

Posted by Panic!

Hmm.. I may download it. I wouldn't buy it though. I checked out Hammock's album Raising Your Voice... Trying To Stop An Echo, and it's good, but not something I would spend money on.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Looking forward to it. I like the title.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Retropusso: Hmm.. I may download it. I wouldn't buy it though. I checked out Hammock's album Raising Your Voice... Trying To Stop An Echo, and it's good, but not something I would spend money on.

I'll probably be able to get it for under $10, so it's definitely worth it. Everything else by them is pretty much flawless and among the best music I've listened to in any genre, let alone ambient, post-rock and shoegaze music.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Looking forward to it. I like the title.

Posted by Omni

It's supposed to be out some day in March.

As for the other album they have coming out, I wouldn't be surprised to hear some guest vocals from J