Devil May Cry 4

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://www.devilmaycry.com/home.html

Demo's out tomorrow, and I just busted my load.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I should probably play the first three before this one. Looks pretty good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just play DMC3.

But I already have 1 and 2 just sittting here, ready to be played...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Then just play 1. It's not that long but it's actually good. Unlike 2 which is horrible.

Anywho, can't wait for this game. Everything about it looks top-notch so far.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

DMC3 is the best of the three and 2 is the wost. If you want to save time, just play through 3. It's the first, chronologically, so it'll pretty much set you up for the fourth. Of course, going back to the first DMC after playing 3 might be frustrating.

Also, the demo is out over here in 4 hours. PSYCHED

Sure about that? Usually all demos come out as a certain time, like 12 AM PST, MS's time.

Yeah, but I figured since I had the first two, this gave me a better reason for playing them. I hate playing series out of order, unless it really doesn't matter.

It... sorta matters here. Right off the bat Dante ****s up this Order that the main character belongs to. Doesn't make much sense if you have no idea who the characters are. Still, they've all been more or less stand-alone games. So, like I said, it sorta matters but it doesn't really. For all you know Dante could just be the main bad guy.

Huh. Well, I don't plan on playing 4 until I've finished a whole bunch of other games, so I may as well play them in order. I'm not really looking forward to it enough that I want to play it right away anyways. I haven't even looked into it much, which helps.

Quoted post: play them in order.

Excluding 2.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Seriously... Just ignore 2. DOWNLOADING THE DEMO RIGHT NOW

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Double post, because that demo was AWESOME. Great fun.

Yeah, I probably will, but I'll at least try it out first.

Downloading it as soon as The Club is finished.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

**** The Club. Generic arcade shootan... Or SHOOTAN AND SLASHAN AND SLAM DUNKAN?

Posted by Shade

Camera angles miffed me a bit, but demo's great fun.

Quoted post: Camera angles miffed me a bit,

Never played DMC before.

Anywho, forgot to download DMC. Too much shootan and racan.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Apparently my copy's already been posted from the site I ordered it at... Awesome! NOW, on to the achievements:

1. Clear Mission 11 in Human Mode
2. Clear All missions in Human Mode
3. Clear Mission 11 in Devil Hunter Mode
4. Clear All Missions in Devil Hunter Mode
5. Clear Mission 11 in Son of Sparda Mode
6. Clear All Missions in Son of Sparda Mode
7. Clear Mission 11 in Dante Must Die Mode
8. Clear All Missions in Dante Must Die Mode
9. Clear All Missions in Heaven or Hell Mode
10. Clear All Missions in Hell and Hell Mode
11. Clear all Missions in Human Mode with an S Ranking
12. Clear all Missions in Devil Hunter Mode with an S Ranking
13. Clear all Missions in Son of Sparda Mode with an S Ranking
14. Clear all Missions in Dante Must Die Mode with an S Ranking
15. Clear all Game Modes
16. Clear all Secret Missions
17. Clear stage 10 of Bloody Palace Mode
18. Clear stage 20 of Bloody Palace Mode
19. Clear stage 30 of Bloody Palace Mode
20. Clear stage 40 of Bloody Palace Mode
21. Clear stage 50 of Bloody Palace Mode
22. Clear stage 60 of Bloody Palace Mode
23. Clear stage 70 of Bloody Palace Mode
24. Clear stage 80 of Bloody Palace Mode
25. Clear stage 90 of Bloody Palace Mode
26. Clear All Bloody Palace Mode stages
27. Clear All Bloody Palace staged with an S Ranking
28. Clear the game with Super Nero (Dante)
29. Complete a Stylish Rank S (Smokin'!) combo
30. Complete a Stylish Rank SS (Smokin' Style!!) combo
31. Complete a Stylish Rank SSS (Smokin' Sick Stlye!!!) combo
32. Complete a mission with an S Ranking
33. Extend the Vitality Gauge to maximum capacity
34. Extend the Devil Trigger Gauge to maximum capacity
35. Acquire 10,000 Red Orbs
36. Acquire 100,000 Red Orbs
37. Acquire 1,000,000 Red Orbs
38. Acquire 10,000 Proud Souls
39. Acquire 100,000 Proud Souls
40. Acquire 1,000,000 Proud Souls
41. Defeat a total of 100 enemies
42. Defeat a total of 1,000 enemies
43. Defeat a total of 10,000 enemies
44. Acquire a maximum number of all items
45. Acquire all of Nero's skills
46. Acquire all of Dante's skills

At least there's no Hell and Hell achievement... CAPCOM WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING

Wow, not only are those ****ing lame, but some are really hard too. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT][COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Tahoma][quote]27. Clear All Bloody Palace staged with an S Ranking

... I will get no more than 50G in this game. Up there with GH3 for the Most Impossible Achievements award.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Seriously. I can see some easily doable ones, but Hell or Hell? Dying in one hit and only being able to do damage in SSS rank sure sounds fun! :rolleyes:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... With enemies have DMD-levels of health and AI. **** that.

What's the length of the game anyways, any idea? Short game and ****ty, impossible achievements? Might be a deal-breaker...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

20 missions, plus Bloody Palace.

20 missions could range from 8-20 hours.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Only IGN have reviewed it so far. They seem pretty butthurt about Nero being the main focus.

Few places have reviewed it including 1up. Didn't mention length from what I recall.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I checked IGN's review, and all they say is that it's 'just as replayable as DMC3'. ****, waiting for my GameTrailers video review tonight.

Yeah, ditto. Only review I really put any faith in for one reason or another. Still though, those achievements sound really first-gen...

They can't be as bad as GRAW. Nothing is as bad as GRAW.

Hard achievements? Gonna go rent King Kong instead.

Posted by Stalolin

GOOD NEWS GENTS, IT COMES OUT TOMORROW

and for x it comes out in a few days

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Apparently, my copy's in transit. SO WHO KNOWS

edit: GameTrailers review was shown on Friday night's G4TV, apparently. Sit through about a minute of Turok discussion to get to it:
[URL]http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=5&ch=1&sd=0[/URL]

double edit: Wow, what a terrible, non-Game Trailersy review. That guy was talking way too ****ing fast, and they just cut back to MOAR TUROK after a minute or so. Surely this can't be it?!

GRAW is way easier than those achievements if you ask me.

Quoted post: double edit: Wow, what a terrible, non-Game Trailersy review. That guy was talking way too ****ing fast, and they just cut back to MOAR TUROK after a minute or so. Surely this can't be it?!

Doubt it. GT's reviews follow a pretty strict formate. Plus, it's just not a GT review without that review guy...

Here it is:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30213.html

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Thank ***. I thought GameTrailers had soooooold out. Though they were pretty much the same review.

Not even. Gotta have the review guy. Gotta.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Same score, same points of interest... But yeah. I love that guy's voice.

Anyway, apparently the Heaven or Hell achievements will be easy. Since everyone dies in one hit, you can pretty much go to town with Ebony & Ivory and blast through every mission.

Oh, so it's just DMD and Hell or Hell that's difficult? That's not so bad. I wonder how it'll compare to Ninja Gaiden though, since I found DMC3 quite a bit tougher at certain parts, just not more difficult on the whole.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Son of Sparda mode, too.

That should be doable. I think that should be like Ninja Gaiden on normal, with Hell or Hell being Ninja Master difficult.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Having a look through, there's actually a reasonable number of do-able achievements. Scorewhore crisis averted!

Thank ***. Capcom has still got to work on its achievements though. They just seem to suck in every game, and I'll actually include Dead Rising too.

Posted by Phantom75230

First Devil May Cry game that I've ever played and it is amazing... I don't have it myself yet but I played a little bit at my friend's house... even tho I had no clue of what I was doing!

Just set everything to automatic and problem solved. The game plays itself!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

IT'S HEEEEEEEEEERE! Got my copy in the mail today.

Apparently if you can master instant-revving, the game's a cinch, even on Son of Sparda. Need to practice the **** out of that technique, then.

I hear the timing is ultra-strict, but you can practice it in empty rooms. So it'll just take some time I guess.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

So, I just got done playing through the first five missions. The difficulty seems to be just right - I haven't died or hit any problems, but it's still been challenging. The only thing I'm having trouble with is building my style meter. I can never break past Atomic, but I think that might be due to the fact my combo repertoire is pretty limited right now.

The cutscenes are beautiful, and actually more enjoyable than most big action movies. Nero seems to pretty much have Dante's personality from DMC3, while Dante just becomes a deeper-voiced and mysterious GAR. As with the other DMCs, the plot seems to pretty much sit on the back-burner after the first mission. Very little's happened, and I'm 1/4 of the way into the game.

Love the way the missions/levelling up works - you can replay any mission with either Dante or Nero, and even if you quit halfway, you keep everything you collected during the mission. Proud souls and red gems can be raked in easy by playing certain fights over and over. It's gonna be pretty easy to get most of the achievements with this amount of flexibility.

Posted by Shade

Dante, Virgil... Nero?

CONTINUITY CRISIS

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, uh... not really. It goes - DMC3, DMC1, DMC4, DMC2. Vergil's probably gonna be Nero-related, somehow.

Also, **** back-tracking. Only thing that let down the pretty fun mission 6.

Posted by Shade

I meant with who they're named after. They had the whole "epic poet" thing going on and then decided to throw in Nero.

idk, just seemed off to me =/

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Dante and Vergil are brothers, so Nero doesn't really have any connection to them.

If I recall correctly, Dante's involvement with DMC4 is pretty basic. He only ****s up the Order that Nero belongs to because it was asked of him as a favour by a past character. They make it seem like Nero's involvement in the franchise is just a coincidence, though an important one to the overarching story. What with him having blood of Sparda.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Okay, so I'm almost done with Nero's share of the game. The [spoiler]Dante[/spoiler] boss fight wasn't nearly as good as the old Vergil ones, and it was also the first time I've died in the game. *** drat it. If anyone struggles with it, I found a technique that lets you pretty much cheese the entire fight.

The cutscenes are getting pretty awesome, but having [spoiler]Nero cry[/spoiler] killed the whole SMOKIN SICK STYLE ACTION ADVENTURE feel of the game for a while. They seemed to have skipped a lot in the plot, because I'm kinda confused about the way in which it's jumped from non-existant to I WUB U DANTE LETS NEED REVVVVVVVVENNNNNNGE

As for Instant Revving - it's pretty easy, once you recognize the 'tell' moments when you're supposed to tap LT. Mostly when Nero lets out a yell. Rakes in the combo points, that's for shizzle. I haven't got an SSS yet, but I've been getting Ss and SSs at many of the hoard fights in the game.

Definitely a game that gets more awesome the better you understand the system.

Quoted post: If anyone struggles with it, I found a technique that lets you pretty much cheese the entire fight.

For the boss fight or just in general? FLYING SWALLOW OF THE DMC UNIVERSE?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

For the [spoiler]Dante[/spoiler] fight, since he pretty much dodges EVERYTHING.

Oh, too bad. Not that the flying swallow was the end-all-be-all anyways. Didn't even work on harder difficulties...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Maaaan, the Dante missions are tough. I never realized how much I need the Devil Bringer and EX. :(

edit: Never mind, I forgot that I need level-3 Swordmaster to kick ***. Gilgamesh and Pandora's Box are tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Holy poo poo this game. It's pretty much the definition of hardcore - it rewards players all the time for trying to improve. I'm blasting through Human at lightening speed, but being able to mess around with combos has shown some pretty amazing things. Nero doing Zangief's Final Atomic Buster on Angelos, Dante using mother****ing Spinning Bird Kick and Shoryuken... a Viewtiful Joe taunt... Outstanding. Bloody Palace is addictive as hell, and I can't even clear the 20th stage yet.

This weekend. THIS IS IT

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Beat the game again on Human, and I ended up ranked #74 in the world for the last boss battle. **** yeah! That bonus cutscene at the end of the game is a real treat.