My Laptop

Posted by neonmole

Wasn't sure where to post this as there isn't a forum for Computers. Anyway, there seems to be something wrong with my laptop. I can be playing a game, looking at websites, posting on forums... anything and it randomly turns itself off, doesn't even shut down, it just turns off. What can I do about it?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Maybe it needs to charge? How's the battery?

Posted by neonmole

It's plugged into the mains right now. Also, theres usually a warning when the battery is low.

Posted by WillisGreeny

What's your video card?

actually, what are all the specs?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

moved to tech board

Your laptop could be encountering a critical error, and XP has the option to shut itself down when that happens. Uncheck that. If it still occurs it's a hardware problem. Either it's overheating, not getting proper power or a ram stick isn't properly connected, etc.

Posted by muffla

im having a similar problem, the screen flahsed blue just long enough for me to catch a couple words, so far ive got sumthin aobut memory then a message saying begining physical memory dump. then when i turn my computer back on it sais disk boot drive failature/disk read error/ or sysytem error pleas restart. im thinking it has to do with my seta drive or bad ram. does this sound similar to your problem?

For you, muffla, just do system restore to the point where your computer was working fine. Easiest solution.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[url=http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php check your]A way to check the temp[/url]. If this keeps rising, then it's overheating.

Screen saver issues with video cards have been a popular problem with lap tops recently...

Posted by neonmole

Well it hasn't done it for a couple of days, I think it was probably due to over heating. Another problem I'm having with it now though is that, once it's loaded (which doesn't take long) when I click to use a programme it takes ages to load and then runs really slowly. Also the internet is running really, really slow. I have anti-virus, I have Spybot S&D, I have Ad-Aware, I've scanned my computer and defragmented the hard drive. Any suggestions?

is it still running hot? that could slow your computer down a bit.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What OS are you running? A lot of the times, Windows gets a critical error from driver incompatibility. Next time it switches itself off and the 'Windows has encountered a critical error' dialog comes up, choose to send an error report. If its hardware that caused the fault, you'll be able to see which device and be given the option to update the drivers.

Posted by malika

May be it due to overheating.what is your space.

Posted by Trigger

Check your event log. Any system error, including critical errors will be logged with information and event codes that can pinpoint the reason the system has failed. Microsoft's website has the ability to search event codes and retrieve the reason it happened, so you might want to look into that.

Beyond that, I'd speak with an IT Professional and have them asses the situation. It's generally not a good idea to try and fix something you obviously know nothing about - and asking other mostly inexperienced users can sometimes worsen the situation.

Posted by janu123

I think there are programming errors remain there in your laptop which needs registry cleaner software......You have to use cleaner software and then scanning ur system this might b solve ur problem...........

Posted by ranson

chk your battery or recharge it.