Heath Ledger Dead

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/22/heath-ledger-is-dead/

This should make his portrayal of the Joker extra unsettling.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I JUST saw this too. Yeah, sucks someone died, rip, etc. I hope they don't push The Dark Knight back because of this.

Posted by Roger Smith

His wikipedia page has a huge cock on it.

Oh those internet JOKERS.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Bebop posted about this earlier in the movie board. Very surprising.

Posted by The Judge

I just heard about this like 5 minutes ago. I totally agree on the Batman thing. Here's hoping his last performance is truly spectacular, which I was already hoping it would be.

That really sucks. :(

****, I missed an opportunity for a 'killing joke' gag.

Bugger.

Posted by The Judge

News says the apartment he was in is owned by Mary-Kate Olsen.

Neat.

Posted by Ant

*IS dead.

Posted by The Judge

I like caveman speak more.

Posted by Borealis

wikipedia said he finished his Joker roll before he died, must be true.

we win

but in all seriousness, rip, i guess. i can't really say i care too much, tbh.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I couldn't care less. Lost a pretty face, with 1000s behind him to take his place.

Posted by Lord of Spam

hey, some dude i dont know died. Sucks.

**** happens all over the world, and nobody cares. This guy wore makeup and pretended for a living. Think about that.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Lord of Spam: This guy wore makeup and pretended for a living. Think about that.

lol. Does the army train you in meaningless old-man-isms? But you're right, man, screw the entertainment industry and the people who work in it.

It sucks that he died suddenly, and so young. Mostly because it really lowers his chances of doing some great roles in the future.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Slade: Mostly because it really lowers his chances of doing some great roles in the future.

Spoken like a true agent.

It only matters because he was playing the Joker, and from the looks of it, really well. So any hope of him reprising the role is now nonexistent. Only really reason it sucks.

Otherwise, the rest of the movies he's made have been pretty... whatever. 10 Things, Knight's Tale and Brokeback are the only ones that come to mind. All were pretty average.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Slade: lol. Does the army train you in meaningless old-man-isms?

I held my best friend as nazi shrapnel shredded his insides. He clutched a picture of his wife, 6 months pregnant with his first child, a daughter. With his last breath he asked me to care for her if he never made it back home. Never before did I wish more that there was a god in heaven, and never was I more sure that there wasnt.

Posted by Omni

I saw two threads about this and picked this one specifically because Bebop is less likely to post here. Anyway, surprised and sorry to hear about this.

Posted by Fate

At least he gave us Joker. ...:(

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Lord of Spam;809073]I held my best friend as nazi shrapnel shredded his insides. He clutched a picture of his wife, 6 months pregnant with his first child, a daughter. With his last breath he asked me to care for her if he never made it back home. Never before did I wish more that there was a go[COLOR=white]d in heaven, and never was I more sure that there wasnt.[/COLOR]Yeah, voluntarily joining the war effort seems like it's a really bad idea, huh?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money!

Who do you trust? Me?

I'm giving away free money. And where is the Heef?

He's at Mary-Kate's, pissing the sheets!

honestly though, i'm really depressed about this. ever since i saw a knight's tale the first time i thought he was a great actor, i am only looking forward to dark knight even more now.

part of me is hoping that he shows up at the premiere in his joker costume, and that this'll all have been a massive publicity stunt :(

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: hey, some dude i dont know died. Sucks.

**** happens all over the world, and nobody cares. This guy wore makeup and pretended for a living. Think about that.

And yet I care more about his death than I ever, ever will about yours :)

Ledger was awesome in Brokeback. It's a shame that his true acting ability only became apparant near the end of his life.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Bebop;809227]And yet I care more about his death than I ever, ever will about yours :)

Ledger was awesome in Brokeback. It's a shame that his true acting ability only became apparant near the end of his life.
Oooooh! Weak burn! You act as if he ever would care how you would feel about his death. Bebop, you're too insignificant, but you think you actually matter. That's a shame.:(
---
As far as an actor goes, as I feel with most actors, I think he just got lucky and got the good parts. Excuse me, but his role in Brokeback Mountain could have been played just as well as any other actor, and it would have made a huge impact due to its excellent script. Thank the writers and the directors on that one.
---
It's too bad he's dead. Any time somebody dies at a young age, long before they've actually fulfilled a lot of their lifetime goals, it's a sad thing. I feel as bad as I would if it were any other random individual, or a good number of you members (of course, if a certain few members expired I'd be sure to attend their funerals and cry my eyes out). It's too bad, really... :(

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Skitzo Control;809283]Oooooh! Weak burn! You act as if he ever would care how you would feel about his death. Bebop, you're too insignificant, but you think you actually matter. That's a shame.:(
---

I can't believe you took that so badly and so personally. You're cranky. Have a nap.

[quote]
As far as an actor goes, as I feel with most actors, I think he just got lucky and got the good parts. Excuse me, but his role in Brokeback Mountain could have been played just as well as any other actor, and it would have made a huge impact due to its excellent script. Thank the writers and the directors on that one.

Just like any role played by anyone in any film could have been done by any actor? You're undermining and misunderstanding the creative role of the actor in a film. Ledger was awesome in that film, not just because it was far different to his previous roles, but because it was a **** good performance.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fate: At least he gave us Joker. ...:(

At least.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Playing Joker is what kept many of us from killing him after Casanova.

Quoted post: As far as an actor goes, as I feel with most actors, I think he just got lucky and got the good parts. Excuse me, but his role in Brokeback Mountain could have been played just as well as any other actor, and it would have made a huge impact due to its excellent script. Thank the writers and the directors on that one.

Haha, I really don't care about his death but even I can realise he was a pretty good actor. It's a collaboration between actors, directors and writers. You need all three for a well made film. I mean, the writing can be as good as it wants to be but it means jack**** if you don't have a decent actor.

Posted by Bebop

Writing only depicts what the character says and, in certain important narrative specific moments, key movements as to not overshadow the actors role. This means every breath, every blink, every mannerism, even the way the dialouge is said rests firmly on the shoulders of the actors.

Posted by Omni

[URL="http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=08f0adbd-d1fd-4778-9c08-d82c4bdd7197"]The Joker role killed Heath?[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE"]Heath Ledger talks about the Joker[/URL]

Apparently, he told those close to him that playing the role of a character like this troubled him and he was having difficult sleeping. He's so fidgety in the second video, too.

Posted by Iris

That last video makes him seem really unstable. Perhaps this wasn't some heat of the moment type overdose.

Man, makes me look forward to the Dark Knight even more.

Posted by Crazy K

After school I checked up on the news, fox news that is, and they said that they also found a rolled up $20 bill, possibly indicating the use of cocaine before his death. We'll known within 10 or so days when the full autopsy results are in.

EDIT:

I guess no drug residue was found on the rolled up $20 bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324802,00.html

haha, fox. yeah, never take their word

Posted by Malevolence

At least he enjoyed his roll before his death.

Although that definitely makes his portrayal of the Joker all the more exciting to see.

Posted by Ashen

I've only see a few movies with Ledger, but, as a fellow actor, I can kind of empathize with the trouble that playing the Joker gave him. I'm anxiously awaiting the final announcement as to what did him in, mostly because I'm kind of curious. As sadistic as that may sound.

I personally can't wait to see The Dark Knight if what everyone is saying about his performance is true. I loved Jack Nicholson in the original Batman movie, but they're saying that he was more whimsical and comical with the Joker's character than Ledger was for this rendition. Should be something else.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control;809283]As far as an actor goes, as I feel with most actors, I think he just got lucky and got the good parts. Excuse me, but his role in Brokeback Mountain could have been played just as well as any other actor, and it would have made a huge impact due to its excellent script. Thank the writers and the directors on that one.

Haha, this is just like that time some retard on the game boards said that Nintendo saving the industry was insignificant because if they didn't someone else would have.

Posted by Dexter

He's a good actor. Watch Candy. I think he was better in that than he was in Brokeback Mountain.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Speedfreak;813513]Haha, this is just like that time some retard on the game boards said that Nintendo saving the industry was insignificant because if they didn't someone else would have.No, it's nothing like that. There are literally hundreds of very talented actors, and there are, what, two decent video game hardware companies? The comparison doesn't even exist.

Something doesn't have the be exactly the same as something else in order to compare them.

Posted by Slade

****ing hell, that's just like how yesterday this kid compared insulting someone to killing someone. I just don't get those kind of comparisons.

Anyways, I feel the same way as Skitzo about most actors who die. There are so many mediocre actors that I don't think it's a real blow to the creativity or progress of the industry. Not sure if I feel that way about Ledger, though, since I've only seen one or two of his movies. besides, he was super cute

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=WILLETH FOR MONTHS;814050]Something doesn't have the be exactly the same as something else in order to compare them.
No, but things should be somewhat relative, and the relation between the video game industry and some film directed by Ang Lee isn't even there. To think that Nintendo stepping it up (being one of, what, six companies?) and saving the video game industry is even in comparison to Heath Ledger being one of probably a dozen plus actors offered the role (Jaoquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg are two that come to mind) is completely ridiculous. He was just another actor who happened to get lucky with a magnificent role in a very well-written and well-directed movie. Congrats should be given to the writers and directors of movies, not the actors.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Slade: ****ing hell, that's just like how yesterday this kid compared insulting someone to killing someone. I just don't get those kind of comparisons.

Insulting someone who is suicidal and on the edge might be close...might be...

Still weak though, I agree.

What the ****. He didn't 'get lucky'. He was better than every other actor that applied for or was offered the role, and it wouldn't be the same without him.

Posted by Ashen

And they've confirmed what killed him: accidental overdose.

He was taking about six different medications, all sedatives, and their effects overlapped to a point where his respiratory system was so slow he stopped breathing.

Posted by Crazy K

That's what I thought. Anyone know of what killed Brad Renfro?

Who?

And it's almost more of a shame that it's accidental...

Posted by Crazy K

He was a young actor who died a week before Ledger. He starred in Apt Pupil.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I believe I made that apparent in a previous post, as to whom Brad Renfro was.. elsewhere.

[quote=Tyler Durden;810147]No mention of Apt Pupil? **** you all...olde news to ye, anywho..

Never heard of it.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Vamp, seriously. Go slit your ****ing throat for claiming that. When I think of Apt Pupil, for some strange-unexplainable reason; your face comes up. An average everyday highschool student blackmailing an escaped Nazi war criminal? Oh, and said student is a twisted, jerky little prick. Just find the book, V.

Posted by Bebop

Brad Renfro was a widely unknown actor who starred in widely unknown roles. Too bad hes dead but his death hasnt effected me in any way. Unlike Ledger who was one of my favorite actors.

Skitzo, stop that "any actor can play any role" thinking. It's uneducated, misinformed and retarded.

Oh okay, I know who Brad Renfro is now. I just didn't know him by name. **** sucked.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Bebop;815328]Skitzo, stop that "any actor can play any role" thinking. It's uneducated, misinformed and retarded.
Did you just post something intelligible? What is this world coming to..

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=WILLETH FOR MONTHS;814712]What the ****. He didn't 'get lucky'. He was better than every other actor that applied for or was offered the role, and it wouldn't be the same without him.
A lot of movies, sure, I'd agree, but in the case of most dramatic films, I whole-heartedly believe the actor is rarely what makes the role. The writers and the directors is who makes the scene great, the actors just do as they're told.
[quote=Bebop;815328]Skitzo, stop that "any actor can play any role" thinking. It's uneducated, misinformed and retarded.
I never said "any actor can play any role," but I will say that there are dozens of actors that can take the place of another one. I'm still amazed that so many of you look at a movie and thank the actors for a well-made movie, and don't even look behind the scenes for the people who tell them exactly what to do and how to do it. The only time you could truly say an actor that made the role would be in movies with a high amount of improvisation. A blank script, no direction? Let the actors do their work and let them make some important calls, but when there's dialogue and blocking to be brought into light, it's the person in the director's chair that calls all the shots.

That's really not the case. Otherwise they could just hire anyone with even the smallest amount of talent to act out their movies, avoiding paying high prices for A-list actors. If it was as simple as you make it out to be movies would be a lot easier and quicker to make. Again, it's not just one person or the other that deserves the credit. It's a group effort involving actors, writers and directors. Can't have a good movie without each part being talented in their own right.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Lindsay Lohan : Eye candy, name recognition.
Tom Hanks : Oscar attractability.
Bruce Willis : Action role recognition.

Point 1: Actors bring baggage to the film, talent wise, and career wise.

Point 2: Directors make all the decisions? Mostly...Actors that impersonate characters exactly the way the director wants? rare.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Personally, I think the directors are bigger names than the actors, just look at directors like Stephen Spielberg, Wes Craven, and Peter Jackson.

Quoted post: Personally, I think the directors are bigger names than the actors, just look at directors like Stephen Spielberg, Wes Craven, and Peter Jackson.

Yeah, and that's about it. Fact is there's only a handful of amazingly famous directors that people actually know well by name.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I think it's fail that Skitz named all the bad directors.. Peter Jackson makes complete garbage, Spielberg is garbage, and when was the last time Craven had any vision?

Doesn't matter how good there are as directors, just how famous the names are for his point to be valid. Still not the greatest point...

Posted by Tyler Durden

I don't look forward to a film just because some certain- hot celeb will be cast as lead role. I hardly pay attention to those small facts at all. I mainly look at where the plot developes and ventures off, a good solid character developement, and what the main premise for the film is supposed to be. Stuff like headliners and big name directors mean **** to me, that's just filler.

I'll enjoy an indy film before even thinking of going down to the local cineplex to fork out a wad for the next big media blockbuster.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Face it, director names are just like fashion designer names. Their names are like nikey symbols.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I don't pay attention to fads and names.. I still dress as though grunge is still big, except without the flannel.

Quoted post: I don't look forward to a film just because some certain- hot celeb will be cast as lead role. I hardly pay attention to those small facts at all. I mainly look at where the plot developes and ventures off, a good solid character developement, and what the main premise for the film is supposed to be. Stuff like headliners and big name directors mean **** to me, that's just filler.

I'll enjoy an indy film before even thinking of going down to the local cineplex to fork out a wad for the next big media blockbuster.

Most people do care though, that's why companies pay big bucks for A-list actors. For example Will Smith being in I Am Legend. Probably not the best choice, but he always draws big numbers and sure enough it worked.

Quoted post: Face it, director names are just like fashion designer names. Their names are like nikey symbols.

Pretty bad analogy. Famous directors are definitely a brand but that's business. You use a name to sell a product to ensure it's quality and show the consumer what they're in for. But a shoe company compared to a sole director? Not quite. It'd be more like the lead designer for Nike shoes compared to a director of films.

Posted by The Heir Apparent

It's very sad ofcourse. Have been a fan of his since "Roar". Always thought he would be big. It's such a waste. Dont understand why youre taking 6 different drugs that do the same thing. Not very smart. Here's a quick prediction: next year at this time, he will be nominated for an oscar (either best actor or best supporting actor-depending on size of roll) for The Dark Knight. He is that good in it. Have seen early bits of the film. He is amazing.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

Pretty bad analogy. Famous directors are definitely a brand but that's business. You use a name to sell a product to ensure it's quality and show the consumer what they're in for. But a shoe company compared to a sole director? Not quite. It'd be more like the lead designer for Nike shoes compared to a director of films.

eeck, I was close enough!
*kills myself*

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Tyler Durden;815891]I think it's fail that Skitz named all the bad directors.. Peter Jackson makes complete garbage, Spielberg is garbage, and when was the last time Craven had any vision?
Two of the three directors I named have movies in the top ten as far as gross sales are concerned. Spielberg with E.T. (Jurassic Park is number 12, by the way, and Jaws is nubmer 39) and Jackson with Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. But, hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go on... James Cameron? Michael Moore? Michael Bay? Sam Raimi? Robert Zemeckis? Martin Scorsese? Hell, I could go on longer naming great directors longer than most people could name great actors and actresses. And all of these directors get massive recognition and pull in the big money. When's the last time you saw a Steven Spielberg film not have a huge opening weekend? When's the last time Michael Moore even said anything that his fans gobbled up like fat people at Thanksgiving?

The director makes the movie, not the actor.

Quoted post: Hell, I could go on longer naming great directors longer than most people could name great actors and actresses.

So? More actors are more well-known than directors. No one person makes a movie. It's a group effort, and the fact that you, for some reason, seem to disagree is pretty laughable. Though, more often than not it's the actor or subject of the film that draws the big box-office numbers, rather than the director.

Posted by David M. Awesome

I always decided whether or not to see a movie based on who directed it, and then look at the actors that are in it.

I choose to watch a movie based on whether or not I think I'll enjoy the **** movie.

Posted by David M. Awesome

I heard that he's making a huge comeback.