Music Piracy?

Posted by Omni

I mostly just made this to see who'd post here and vote in the poll. That means you. Anyway, opinions and comments?

Posted by Roger Smith

I mainly AARRRRGGG music you can't find on albums, like a lot of video game music. But when I have the cash I buy albums from groups I like, like The Black Mages.

Posted by Xero

I usually try to buy CDs of artists I really like. Supporting them for me is important, but most of the artists I appreciate these days cannot be found in the music stores of Montreal, so it's hard for me to give them any support. And I don't buy anything off the internet.

I still buy CDs, but I download more and more albums of artists of whom I cannot buy or order their CDs

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

download music... illegally? *** no. No no no no.

Posted by Slade

People pirate music? I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS

Posted by Omni

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: download music... illegally? *** no. No no no no.

Where does it say anything about downloading music illegally in this poll?

I pirate though strictly legal means

Posted by S

[quote=Dictionary.com]pi

Poll doesn't say anything about piracy though, hence omni's post. It just says "download" which you can do legally just fine.

Posted by S

Thread title inference.

right, but she says poll specifically.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I agree with downloading music and movies. They're both art that I feel enhance our lives and I buy what I really enjoy. I don't agree with illegal selling of movies and music, however, because that's not really helping the situation.

How does everyone feel about the future of the movie and music industry?

I used to work at a record store that sold mostly cds, but recently sent back about half of the stores cd collection to make way for more movies because they sell the best, as people download a lot of music. Also, movie prices have been ridiculously low lately, which is great for me, because downloading movies takes up too much space for me and I'd much rather have the real thing - unless it's ridiculously hard to find. The movie and music side of this make me extremely happy. Movies are becoming cheaper and downloading music is only becoming more popular.

Quoted post: How does everyone feel about the future of the movie and music industry?

Movies will stay in theaters because, well, nothing beats that experience. Music will go exclusively digital distribution sooner or later and no one will miss CDs. By that time space won't be a factor because 500 gigs is already incredibly cheap.

Posted by Omni

I predict that tangible things like CDs and vinyls will be released as limited collector's editions.

I could see CDs completely gone, but vinyls sticking around for a long time.

Posted by Empty_Void

Ilegaly downloading music is only ilegal when its ilegal. Lol, if your learning an instrument of any sort you can download music illegally for inspiration (depending on what country you live in).

Cds will probably go the way of the dodo, I can see music getting trackers attached to them though (once things do go completely digital)

Posted by Fate

I only pirate songs not available for purchase and not via import. I buy stuff.

Posted by Red

I was thinking about this the other day.

I ussualy buy cd's to support my favourite artists, I have about 40 cd's now and most are my favourite's some are just rando bands that I like. the only time I'll download music is if I don't feel like buying the entire album because I only like a particular song by that band, or if I want to see if the band is any good.

Posted by Klarth

I download anything and everything unless it's something I genuinely want to support. For instance, given that Haughm said all proceeds from The Demonstration Archive would go towards recording Agalloch's fourth album, I couldn't not grab that.

Posted by Iron Octopus

Bands these days make more money from live shows than they do from album sales. This is pretty much a fact.

I pirate with little to no regard for the "lawl", but I still own well over 150 albums.

Of course, I didn't pay for 95%. That's the glory of being a "web journalist."

Posted by Omni

Whether or not a band makes money from album sales, a label isn't very likely to want to release future albums if everyone just downloads them. Music costs money to record, and bands need money to tour, which is usually provided by their record label.

Posted by Alastor

Scurrrvy

If I wasn't broke all the time, I'd buy some albums I really like, though. So until I have money to burn, arrrr.

Posted by Iron Octopus

Quoting Omni: Whether or not a band makes money from album sales, a label isn't very likely to want to release future albums if everyone just downloads them. Music costs money to record, and bands need money to tour, which is usually provided by their record label.
I'm afraid that's not entirely true. I've been in a touring band, and spent five years in contact with various record labels, most of which still made their money off of touring and merchandising. You think Candlelight records ever made money with Opeth on board? Hell no.

Not to mention, with bands like Nine Inch Nails and the vast indie community making music available in radically different methods, most of the business-minding bands are forward-thinking enough to embrace online downloads as a new medium of business.

The fact is that the only "artists" hurt by piracy are much larger and more popular bands, who even with piracy still make millions more than artists with actual integrity. You can't find "History That Has No Effect" by Tyondai Braxton anywhere, someone who has turned noise into a viable jazz expression, but you can't go to any site without being blitzed for Soulja Boy ringtones.

Posted by Omni

Nah, it's a documented fact that many small bands have been hurt by music downloads, such as Elend, who split up for a while because they couldn't afford to pay the session musicians they recorded with because more people downloaded their music than bought it, and Drudkh, who acrued a large debt in studio royalties due to the fact that so many people favored downloading their music over buying it. I don't care if you were in a band, I'm still right when I say it costs money to tour and record.

Tickets are far too cheap to make a decent profit off of. That's where merch comes into play!