New Castlevania

Posted by Shade

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26166487

HELL ****ING YEAH.

We've only got a few screens, but hey, it's'a coming.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Looks the exact same as the past few games which isn't all that surprising. Only series that can be only marginally different and still be great.

Posted by Malevolence

I wasn't able to play Portrait of Ruin, but I did beat the first title for the DS (The sub name escapes me), and enjoyed it a lot. Might consider buying this.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Need to make a new 3Dvania. I imagine the only issue is that they sell pretty poorly...

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=The X;806905]Need to make a new 3Dvania. I imagine the only issue is that they sell pretty poorly...

And they play about the same! *ba dum tish*

and it's about time konami gets screens up

It can't be that hard to release a Castlevania game every year, I mean Capcom used to make Megaman games yearly.

Posted by Shade

Quoting The X: Need to make a new 3Dvania. I imagine the only issue is that they sell pretty poorly...

And play really poorly...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Stalolin: Capcom used to make Megaman games yearly.

Quarterly at one time if you include all the sister games, like Legends and X.

When Konami said they wouldn't bring Castlevania to the Wii was when I lost my trust in their decisions. Elebits? This is what I'm getting? oh **** it all, man.

Posted by Shade

**** the Wii.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Shade: **** the Wii until Brawl.

Fix'd.

Posted by Zeta

Good thing they got rid of the ****ty art style DoS and PoR had.

Also, need moar info. Much more.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Zeta: Also, need moar info. Much more.

Female protagonist.

Posted by Stalolin

Well, it's got a female protagonist, so I wonder how she's going to play.

I'm guessing she'll use swords, even though they've done a female with a whip before in the series.

Posted by Shade

Maybe something akin to the Jonathan/Charlotte thing, only we haven't seen the guy yet. idk

Posted by Zeta

There's a dude behind the text box in one of the images.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Detail: If the Katakana at the top of the text box is the name of the girl with the blue ribbon, then her name is Shyanoa.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=WillisGreeny;806981]Detail: If the Katakana at the top of the text box is the name of the girl with the blue ribbon, then her name is Shiyanoa.

fix'd

and lol reading katakana

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Stalolin: fix'd

and lol reading katakana

bad fix.

If that's a small ya, which it looks like it is to me, then shi and ya is said in one syllable AKA glide.

so I figure it's either Shanoa, or Shyanoa. Depends on the emphasis, but the i is definitely dropped.

Posted by Zelda_Guy

I have to dissegre. I really liked Castlevania for N64.

That game was badass, but it wasn't actually that great. Go back and play it.

Posted by Zeta

OH **** FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER IS CHASING ME AROUND IN A HEDGEMAZE AND HE HAS A CHAINSAW RUN RUN RUN

Posted by Zelda_Guy

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That game was badass, but it wasn't actually that great. Go back and play it.

Well then I guess I have a different oppenion.

Nostalgia makes everything better.

Oh wait, if you're seriously 13 then you just don't count.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Nostalgia makes everything better.

Oh wait, if you're seriously 13 then you just don't count.

I remember specifically playing that game with this terrible third party N64 controller, that was painted Metallic light blue. Its buttons were hard and it was ridiculous to play with. :( Bad memories with that game.

Posted by David M. Awesome

That reminds me, I still need to finish Dawn of Sorrow.

****ING MAGIC CIRCLES I KNOW THAT I'M DOING THEM RIGHT ARRRRGH

OBVIOUSLY NOT

Posted by Zeta

I want magic seals back. :(

Posted by Shade

I got sooooo ****ed when I finally beat that ***** Gergoth, only to **** up the symbol and have to kill him again. Arrrrrgh.

But they were decently fun OTHER THAN THAT TIME.

Posted by Pit

I think you mean Gergoth

yeah, gorgoroth is a black metal band.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, my bad. Was thinking of something else while typing.

Posted by David M. Awesome

But I always get them perfect in the practice window D:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Zeta;810228]I want magic seals back. :(
Hell noooo. You had to keep the stylus in your hand while fighting the boss, in case they died. Mess up the seal? DO THE WHOLE FIGHT AGAIN AHAHAHAHA

Posted by ExoXile

It was awesome.

Also it's about time for a new Castlevania. >=O

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: You had to keep the stylus in your hand while fighting the boss, in case they died.

wut? The seal timer didn't start until you began drawing. You could take your sweet ol' time grabbing the stylus.

And the bosses' attacks were easy enough to dodge that having to refight them at 1/4 of their max health a few times shouldn't matter.

Yeah, it really wasn't a big deal to refight them, plus, I liked the seals. Not that I really missed them, but I did enjoy them when they were there.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm happy they atleast did something with the touch pad. Some games don't even try.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Zeta;810616]wut? The seal timer didn't start until you began drawing. You could take your sweet ol' time grabbing the stylus.Really? ****, my bad.

So few games still use the touch screen. Mostly just menu navigation...

Which is fine with me. Most games don't need to use it, and personally I'd rather have something simple and very useful like menu navigation than something superfluous and tedious.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I really need to finish Portrait of Ruin. And whichever one I have for PS2. I just can't seem to get really excited about the series.

Posted by Ant

I also need to get around to beating PoR.

Posted by Slade

I beat DoS a couple weeks ago, but I got the ultra-****ty ending even though I read about the endings and thought I was going to eventually get the best one.

...still need to ask zeta about that

Wow, you must suck. Best ending is easy to get. think I unlocked everything in that game. Only thing I had to work for was Old Axe Armor or whatever.

Posted by Slade

See, I thought I did everything I needed to, but I guess I missed something. I fight Dio and then win and then it's over. I know I'm supposed to fight that thing in the mirror instead, but I'm not clear on how that works since I don't have the ability to go into mirrors.

Posted by Ant

you have to fight that one boss that lets you go into mirrors.

Posted by Slade

yeah, strangely enough, after I typed that out I figured that's probably what I have to do.

Posted by Shade

...words fail me on this one. Wow.

Posted by Zeta

Hey guys, did you know that exploring areas that haven't been filled in on the map does absolutely nothing at all to help you progress through the game?

Posted by Ant

so I wasted my time getting 100% on DoS? huh.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The worst ending? Where you turn evil and Alucard's like 'oh ****'? Hahaha, man. That's bad.

Posted by Shade

I think he might have gotten the bad ending. What came first, killing Dario in the Pinnacle, or doing that whole **** with Mina (that her name?) in the Garden of Madness (whatever it was called).

Posted by Zeta

Lame End: Kill Dario.
Bad End: Kill Aguni, go to Garden of Madness w/o Mina's Talisman.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, I got the lame ending. I assumed that I'd kill Dario and then that thing would come out of the mirror, and I'd fight it to get the mirror ability. Guess I'll do it the right way, now.

Posted by Shade

New info: Title and rating.

Posted by Zeta

WHERE ARE MY MUSIC-THEMED TITLES, IGA!?

Posted by Breakman

i don't care what anyone says, they can keep making metroidvanias until the day i die and i'll love every single one of them

i grew up on nes mega man, dude

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I'm always up for some more 'Vania, despite the distinct lack of love Nintendo's consoles have gotten from the franchise lately. If there isn't a Wii Castlevania this generation, I will be sorely disappointed in IGA and Konami.

Posted by WillisGreeny

It's a possability, despite what Koji said in 2006.
[quote=Game Informer interview with CastleVania creator Koji Igarashi]
Sep. 10, 2007
GI: You said that you’d go with the Xbox 360 in North America because Castlevania and the Xbox 360 are the most popular there, however, Wii is outselling everything. I’ve asked you previously about the Wii version, because the whip motion and the Wiimote would be perfect, but you were clear that you didn’t think Castlevania would work on the Wii. Have you changed your position about a Wii version of Castlevania?

Igarashi: Yes, Wii is outselling [other consoles], but the Wii software market is dominated by Nintendo so third party titles are not so good [as far as sales]. The fact that Wii is outselling right now can’t be the reason for me to create a Wii version, but I’m always doing research and development about the Wii version, so I have some ideas about a Wii version already.

Using the whip like this [Igarashi-san made a over head whipping gesture] is very tough for users so I would like to use a surprising approach with this controller. Using the controller like this [Igarashi made a waggle gesture, must like how you control Zelda] is not so good, and boring for Castlevania. If I use the function, the whip should be waved like this [Igarashi-san again made an overhead whipping gesture]. I will have to think about a way to accomplish this.

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200709/N07.0910.1759.12944.htm]Source[/url]

Posted by Shade

If it's 3D it'll suck no matter what system it's on.

Posted by Zeta

Hey, Lament of Innocence and Legacy of Darkness were great. :(

Posted by Shade

Lies.

but hey I don't like 3D metroid either! Gotta have my Castleroid.

Quoting WillisGreeny: It's a possability, despite what Koji said in 2006.

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200709/N07.0910.1759.12944.htm]Source[/url]

It's so frustrating how developers will say things like that when last gen they all said "The system with the most userbase is the system we work with. We hate developing on the ps2 compared to the GAMECUBE and X-box, but since they have the userbase, our hands are tied." Nintendo games selling so well didn't stop you from making Castlevania popular in the first place on the NES and SNES, Konami.

Posted by WillisGreeny

However, the best selling Castlevania game was released on the playstation. It started at Nintendo, moved on to Playstation, then landed back on Nintendo with the DS. The decision for which system a game is produced for isn't just up to the head designer. You do what the boss tells you to or someone else will.

Right, but who's to say that moving again won't improve sales once again? It worked once, why not again? Nintendo is stiff competition, but there was apparently plenty of that on the old playstation, too. All I know is that I see TV commercials and print ads galore for 3rd-party games on non-Nintendo consoles, but whenever a high-profile 3rd-party game ends up on the Wii it's like they don't even bother. Blame your own marketing teams, I say, not Nintendo's overpowering presence on their own consoles.

In other news, feast your peepers on this:
http://news.filefront.com/konami-files-trademark-for-another-castlevania-title/

Could just be that I got all worked up for nothing. C'mon, Konami. C'mon IGA. Gimme WiiVania!

Posted by Zeta

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/cvds3.jpg[/IMG]

Good lord what is that thing on the bottom right?

Castlevania features innovative gameplay devices called "Bosses." These are often humongous enemies that must be battled for minutes on end before they finally die.

Posted by Zeta

That explains EVERYTHING.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Bosses? Why is Castlevania straying away from the original game formula! What's next? A whip? :horse:

Nah, can't you tell? Ladies with swords is their next step. It's actually fairly revolutionary for the series.

Posted by Shade

Nah she's got a whip too.

It's pretty sexy.

Posted by Zeta

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/castlechick.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Shade

I approve.

Posted by Pit

better than the saturday morning cartoon castlevanias we got the last two times

Posted by Roger Smith

JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE

Here's hoping to a better Castlevania.

Posted by Shade

**** you. portrait of ruin is awesome.

Posted by Pit

and it also sucked. Something can be awesome and suck dude, it's not out of this world for that to happen.

Posted by Shade

it didn't suck at all. you suck.

Posted by Zeta

The level design certainly sucked. Pretty much every other room was a straight, featureless hallway.

Posted by Roger Smith

One of things I did enjoy were the extra modes. About **** time we could play as both Richter and Maria.

Posted by Zeta

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Orangeumbreonmaster/5-27-200891742PM.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Orangeumbreonmaster/5-27-200891801PM.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Orangeumbreonmaster/5-27-200892051PM.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Orangeumbreonmaster/5-27-200892111PM.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Orangeumbreonmaster/5-27-200892157PM.jpg

Scans of a preview from NP.

Posted by Shade

A gaunt looking bad guy named Albus? I'm in.

Quoted post: The level design certainly sucked. Pretty much every other room was a straight, featureless hallway.

castle in this game looks the same if you ask me.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;851169]castle in this game looks the same if you ask me.

also it looks like they're just modifying yoko's sprite for the main character, CHECK OUT THOSE RUNNING SPRITES YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Posted by Zeta

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34621.html

DID I SEE MOTHER****ING PUWEXIL?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Lots of those abilities looked really flashy.

Posted by Slade

Man, I'm digging the new types of locations, like the boxes on the ocean and those outdoors ones.