The Future

Posted by Kamek

For the most part, a lot of us are in our teenage years finishing up high school, or in college now - hard enough to believe as it is. It seems as though time has passed by really quickly since I first started coming to WoN, and I guess it has. As most of us are growing up now, society dictates that we need to start thinking about our futures. It seems, coming out of high school, everyone knew what they wanted to do with their lives, and I was the only unsure one. I mean, it seemed kind of hard to know what you want to do with the rest of your life when you're only 18, but perhaps I'm beginning to get a clearer and clearer picture. My question to you guys, or those at this point in their lives, is how scared are you of the future? Do you know what you want to do, or where you'll end up? I haven't been here in a while, just wondering what the good people of VGChat felt about this subject.

Posted by WillisGreeny

You were the only unsure one?...umm... idk what exactly made you feel you were in the minority, but most people finish Highschool not knowing what the hell they want to do for the rest of their lives. Rest asured, it's silly to be thinking you're the only one who doesn't know what they want to do.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do, like every other kid, until just over a year ago. I pretty much fell into my current job and it's good enough to make a career out of it. Hell, I even went to University until I realised it was completely wrong for me. But no, I'm not afraid or unsure of the future. The only thing I have to worry about it getting my own place, and for all I care that could come now or five years down the road. I'm in no rush.

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: how scared are you of the future? Do you know what you want to do, or where you'll end up?

I'm not scared of my future right now. It's pretty cool that I'll finally be done with the fake stuff of high school after this year.

Next year will be just like this year, but with more income and fewer meaningless projects. After that, I'll probably go to a 4-year and major in whatever I decide over the next two years. I plan to study abroad my 3rd or 4th year. Once I finish my education, I'll either hook up with a job that requires a degree, or I'll travel around for a while. Or some combination of the two.

Posted by Crazy K

I'm somewhat freaked out about the future. I hope to go to a good college to get me into something like film making, but I feel as though I might not even get to that goal. Anyways, horrible thing is that I can't drive, or I just choose not to. I plan on taking a drivers test at my local police station, but I have no idea when. So I don't know how I'll manage without driving. But yeah I'm kinda freaked out about the future.

Posted by WillisGreeny

You have to go to the police station for a drivers license, Crazy? My town gave the DOT several offices in malls just for drivers license handeling.

Posted by Shade

I honestly can't see myself having a future. One of the reasons I think I'm going to die young.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Shade: I honestly can't see myself having a future. One of the reasons I think I'm going to die young.

Don't get your hopes up. "Only the good die young".

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=WillisGreeny;807004]You have to go to the police station for a drivers license, Crazy? My town gave the DOT several offices in malls just for drivers license handeling.

Yeah, because I never took drivers ed, which costs upward of $200 or so. Yeah **** that, so I never even bothered to try out for drivers ed. The only other way I know of, is to go to the police station. I hear they only make you do a drivers test. They go by how many miles who've driven with someone who has a license. Then you get your license. Or so I believe thats what they do around here.

Posted by Linko_16

I still don't know what I'll be making a career out of. So yeah, I'm a little scared.

Posted by Xero

Most people who get out of high school have no idea what they want to be later here. It's not rare. Even I'm still not sure of what I'll become. I have an idea right now, but I'm not sure that this is the one I'll stick with. My interests change a lot.

Posted by Xenos

My life has always been a bit of a racy one. Now that you mentioned it, I was checking my transcripts and I realized that by the time I graduate as a senior in high school, I will have 84.5 units worth of college classes (I've taken them on the side during the early morning and nightime done). I don't have those four years to consider what I want to do ... because when I go to college this fall, I'll be considered a Junior already. But I have a decent notion of what I would like.

No, I've never been afraid of the future. I remember just graduating from Middle School as a thirteen year old and already put in a college class, yet I was never really afraid because I thought all would be fine, and it did turn out that way. I've been through enough ups and downs to be fairly confident on almost any kind of ground I am standing in, because chances are, I've already been there and done that.

Though I am a bit anxious of what's to come, I am pretty sure I will face it.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I have a different problem. There's just so much I can do I'm having trouble picking something. Just have to find what I'll be happiest in. Not too worried.

Posted by Shade

Mine's the opposite. There's really nothing I can do.

Posted by mis0

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated high school. hardly anyone does, and even those with a plan often change it in college.

Right now I'm in the business programme at my state school. Kinda boring, but I'm doing well with grades and I think I've learned some new, and more importantly, valuable things already. I'm going for the international business concentration, so I plan to study a semester in Germany (hopefully Bavaria!) at some point. And hopefully I'll actually be able to speak the language by then. :)

Slightly longer term, I plan on earning my MBA. I'd like to work in the automotive world. It's hard to say what will actually happen. But if I have it my way, make the connections, etc, hopefully I'll end up doing something of that nature. Sometimes I am a little uncertain about the path I am on, and recently I've been thinking I may be better off entering the law programme after getting my BBA. But doubt is a good thing, because it challenges you broaden your outlook on what the possibilities for your life are.

Don't worry about any of this stuff too much. You've still got a few years of leeway once you enter college to get your path sorted.

Posted by Lord of Spam

had two years of college to do the "unsure about my future thing". got tired of it, and enlisted. now I'm pretty sure of whats ahead of me, and its all looking good.

Posted by The Judge

I'm fully expecting to be thrown out into the streets where I'll rot away.

At least I'll have my stories.

Posted by I Want A Sandwich

I have no idea what I can do. I can do a bunch of stuff, but nothing is propelling me to go in any real direction. I'm looking at the military academies right now, West Point or Annapolis. It'd be cool to be a General and work for the military or somethin'. Lots of benefits with that. Or I could be in the Corps of Engineers. Or if I don't get into one of those I could be a journalist or a medical engineer or a screenwriter or something completely different. It depends on which college I get into.

So yeah... **** if I know.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Shade: Mine's the opposite. There's really nothing I can do.

You like to write, don't you? You should do something in English.

Posted by ExoXile

My future's pretty set.
I long for it, so mine is coming along rather slowly.

I've got work, and I'll spend the rest of my life never giving tax money to the government.
As a bricklayer. :D

I won't get pension, but I'll get twice that working tax-free.

The only thing that worries me right now, is when we'll be able to get the gal over here.
As soon as that's set into motion--which it kind of is, already.
But yeah, as soon as that's all taken care of, I'm happy. :)

But no, there is no worries for the future on my part, like I said, it's pretty set.

Getting my apartment this year, and my driver's license.
And the girl is hopefully moving to Sweden by the beginning of the next year.

All's right with the world.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I wasn't too worried. From my experience, everything seems to have some sort of way of falling into place. Even if things don't go favorably, I know I can always walk away and start over. It's that easy, especially in the job market. Have fun, don't take things too seriously, and live for what you want to do and you'll be fine. Plus, the honest truth is most people don't really know what they want to do, they just go off of "am I satisfied enough with my current situation". It's all on your priorities.

On the subject of me. I have no idea when I made the decision to be an RN, really don't know when I decided to go on ahead and get a degree in psychology, and really really don't know why I got a useless art degree for no reason. I'm not sure where I'm going to live, how long I'm going to stay here, when I want to do the marriage thing, if I ever want kids, etc. because it doesn't matter. I'm confident enough in myself that I can do well enough. If you really trust yourself, or really just don't care, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about at all.

Posted by Pit

called prerequisites

Posted by David M. Awesome

The future? I often spend hours at a time thinking about it, and to tell the truth sometimes I get so scared over it that I might just **** my pants. I know that I'm going to have to do something artistic or I'll go crazy, but other than that I'm more or less at a loss.