is it possible to like every genre of music?

Posted by Red

I know a few people who have said before that they like "every and any kind of music" or that they "like every kind of music" etc.

I always thought this was next to impossible and that these people were stupid. anyone else agree.

also maybe before you vote check wikipedia to see just how many genre's are out there.

Posted by Stalolin

it ABSOLUTELY impossible

Posted by cool gamer dad

Sure. It's possible.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I've heard people have these discussions and it always makes me think less of them. For most genres, if you actually know anything about the music, you can at least appreciate bands with a similar channel of expression. As for all genres, I won't say yes or no, because that's just a "little" broad and pretentious because that'd involve putting way to much effort in what exactly a genre is, what music is and isn't, etc. To me, it's childish and missing the point of music to a massive degree.

Posted by Omni

95% of the people who say this haven't even heard of half the genres of music I listen to. I know that I don't like every genre of music, and I've never met a person who said they do that likes anywhere close to all genres of music.

This thread is gay, and not just a little bit. It's Freddie Mercury gay.

Posted by Shin-Ra

On top of that, there are a surprising amount of people who are stuck in the mindset of "good" and "bad" when it comes to music and judge it on how it makes them feel; which is alright for some bands, but it'd cause someone to totally miss the point of a lot of music. I dunno, genre discussions are lame. I prefer it all to be a bit more individualized, because that's what the music itself is anyway, genres just make it easier to group together assumingly similar channels (which is pretty faulty) but "genre" essentially means nothing.

Posted by Xero

I'm pretty sure it is possible to like every genre of music. Rare are the people who actually love every single genre.

And like Omni said, most people who tell me they pretty much like everything have no clue what breakcore is.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, Omni and Shin-Ra have nailed it.

If I hear someone say they like "every kind of music" it's just a red flag that they have no clue what they're talking about.

Quoted post: On top of that, there are a surprising amount of people who are stuck in the mindset of "good" and "bad" when it comes to music and judge it on how it makes them feel; which is alright for some bands, but it'd cause someone to totally miss the point of a lot of music.

I see this a lot, and I also see a lot of people judging music against some divine standard, who say things like "that's not how it's supposed to be." If that's how someone feels, then it's kind of like we have absolutely nothing in common.

Posted by Xero

Honestly, I tend to act like that sometimes. Someone comes to me and sais he likes Fall out Boy, H.I.M and My Chemical Romance, most of the time, I'll make annoying comments. I'm trying to be more careful and open to people's tastes. But I hate those bands so much that I just can't help it sometimes.
But who am I to say which are the good artists and the bad ones?

On the other hand, I get told that I don't listen to music, but noise. I was told so many times that Venetian Snares isn't music and it ****es me off.

But eh, it's some kind of payback to my comments :)

Posted by G-Sides

lol, i hate when people say stuff like that and don't mean it. the most common one is "i listen to everything except rap and country :)" which, in themselves, are large parts of the entire music spectrum.
but i listen to every genre :s it's not really an "every genre" kind of thing, it's more like "what's good." i think it's very possible to listen to every genre of music if you just listen to the bands that stand out within them.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Whether those people really do listen to everything and every genre or not is pretty moot. The question is whether it's possible or not and of course it is. Though usually whenever someone says "I listen to everything" or "I like everything" they usually don't mean it literally. They're just saying they're open to all sorts of different music and whether they dislike some of it doesn't really matter. It's just a saying to express the fact that they're willing to enjoy a wide range of music.

Posted by Richaod

Yeah, the majority of people who say they "like everything" actually don't listen to anything in particular... from experience, they're the type of people who download songs they've heard on the radio from LimeWire, and never, ever buy music. And I agree that the majority of people who say that aren't aware of many styles of music.

Personally, I can't say I like everything, but I think I'm open-minded enough to give it a chance. There are obviously some genres I'm more naturally inclined to like (rock, progressive, non-overproduced), and some I'm inclined to dislike (more extreme stuff, electronica). I can generally at least appreciate the best stuff of most genres, if I know what it is.

I do find it hard to believe that anyone would automatically like a genre overall; it takes time.

Oh and Red, what music do YOU listen to?

Posted by Red

Quoting Chris: Honestly, I tend to act like that sometimes. Someone comes to me and sais he likes Fall out Boy, H.I.M and My Chemical Romance, most of the time, I'll make annoying comments. I'm trying to be more careful and open to people's tastes. But I hate those bands so much that I just can't help it sometimes.
But who am I to say which are the good artists and the bad ones?

I dislike fallout boy and don't really care for H.I.M. but I do like My Chemical Romance I'll admit that. but I will also say that when someone says to me "they suck" I can accept that, I really don't think that they are that good it's just my personal taste in music I guess.

Quoting G-Sides: lol, i hate when people say stuff like that and don't mean it. the most common one is "i listen to everything except rap and country :)" which, in themselves, are large parts of the entire music spectrum.

lol so many people I've talked to before have said that.

Quoting Richaod:
Oh and Red, what music do YOU listen to?

I wont say I like a WIDE range of music but I do like multiple genres. I think that I can listen to a wide rage of music and not dislike it, but certain genres just aren't for me.

so if I had to answer what type of music do I listen to...well I just don't really know how to answer that.

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: Though usually whenever someone says "I listen to everything" or "I like everything" they usually don't mean it literally. They're just saying they're open to all sorts of different music and whether they dislike some of it doesn't really matter. It's just a saying to express the fact that they're willing to enjoy a wide range of music.

That's true if the person actually has an idea of what they're talking about. I've never heard someone say they like all types of music without the statement being followed by, "You know, everything from Nickelback to Nelly," or something equally... stupid.

Honestly can't say I've come across someone like that.

Posted by Omni

I honestly can say that I meet those people a lot. :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Slade: That's true if the person actually has an idea of what they're talking about. I've never heard someone say they like all types of music without the statement being followed by, "You know, everything from Nickelback to Nelly," or something equally... stupid.

I've never heard them actually follow up the statement - they seem to use it in order to avoid actually mentioning any artist names since they can't think of one - but it's pretty much what they mean. Diversity to them is putting their music on shuffle.

The worst thing is people who listen to those stupid Ministry of Sound compilations. I don't know if you guys have them, but they're pretty ubiquitous. People who buy them - not only do they listen to ****ty repetitive club music, but they don't even know WHAT to listen to - they have to have it shoved down their throats by the only compilation they're aware of because it's advertised on TV.

Posted by Crazy K

I'd say no. I'm sure there are people who enjoy all kinds of genres and say they listen to everything, but what they mean is that they'll listen to about anything. As for me; I can't stand certain genres, like Punk Rock, Country, Hip Hop, and many others. That's just me though.

Posted by tina.anderson

It's not impossible, but very unlikely that a person could really tolerate every single genre of music that now exists. It would take someone with a very open mind and an extreme love and appreciation for music. I don't like when people say "I'll listen to anything." That's a lie 99% of the time.

Posted by The Heir Apparent

I hate polka. I hate show tunes. I hate opera. I hate blue grass...

"The only thing I hate more than blue grass played badly, is blue grass played well." Tom Waits

I love Tom Waits.

Posted by Omni

Anyone who doesn't like Tom Waits sucks.

Posted by oxpecker123

who's tom waits? is he weird? I listen to asian kung fu generation hahahahah! that's the weird band I listen to.

Quoted post: I listen to asian kung fu generation hahahahah! that's the weird band I listen to.

You're a ****ing moron, aren't you?

Posted by tina.anderson

Everyone has their own unique likes and dislikes, that's what makes music so great. What may seem awful or weird to one person could be exactly what another person loves to listen to. It is all totally subjective.

Posted by hjhjh220

I am with you it's impossible who do this he is crazy person