Phobias

Posted by The Judge

We all have at least one, though some are more minor than others. Myself, I'm afraid of spiders and deep bodies of water, as well as being alone in the dark out in the open, and being in vast open spaces by myself.

But I have one that I'd like to just bring to light, as it's been bugging me for a while. It might sound silly, but I'm being dead serious:

I have an incredible fear of dopplegangers, or, more appropriately, being impersonated in my absence.

Now, I'm paranoid. No doubt about it. Anything that I perceive to be weird always turns into some plot against me in my mind. A perfect example would be the fact that as I pulled up to my house yesterday, someone who'd taken my parking spot drove away quickly. All of a sudden I'm thinking about people observing the house trying to find ways to break in etc etc etc.

But as for my fear, I'm utterly terrified by the idea that I will be kidnapped, and that someone else will take my place and no one will know. Think I'm lying? Look at all my friends. None of them have even close to the same physique as me, only one of them is my height (though Ant's a little taller), they don't sound like me, and they don't act like me. As well as they know me, they couldn't properly impersonate me, even with makeup.

I make a purposeful note to avoid getting to know people who look like me, or similar enough to pull it off if they needed to. I rarely associate with people of my build, and G[COLOR="black"]o[/COLOR]d knows what I'd do if I ever met someone who was my perfect double.

Either way, that's mine. Yours?

Posted by Omni

I don't like spiders. No other insect or arachnid, or snakes or anything else for that matter, creeps me out like them.

I'm also afraid of needles. They're not really a big deal, but I really hate them for some reason.

Posted by Slade

The deep bodies of water thing is the only one I haven't worked out yet. I'm not so afraid that I can't swim out in a lake or anything, but if I do so I have to keep my mind off the fact that there's so much right under me that I can't see.

Posted by Sterling

Mice are really ****ing scary to me. It's a pretty faggy phobia, really.

:(

Posted by Ant

I don't have any.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I am with Ant on this. Although it's probably because I've lived such a sheltered upbringing that I don't have anything to be afraid of.

Posted by mis0

I don't really have any phobias, per se. Certainly nothing that affects my performance. I just the closest thing to a phobia I've got is my general dislike for being in, on, or above the ocean, because I cannot swim well and there is much unknown about it. I don't like to fly over it, I don't like being in a ship on the ocean, and being under it is my least favorite possibility. Going through the chunnel, all I could think about was how much water was pressing down, trying to get in.

Posted by The Judge

I feel the same way, though my imagination just runs rampant when I'm in water, sort of like when I'm alone in the dark. But in large, open spaces on my own, I don't feel safe because there could easily be something behind me, and I don't have a "safe spot" from which I don't have any blind spots in my vision.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

ceiling fans and big boats.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Posted by Lord of Spam

dont really have any. Hell, spiders only really freak me out if they suprise me. Like, I've held tarantulas before (fuzzy little buggers), but if i notice that a tiny little spider has crawled up onto my shoulder without my notice, i will flip a bit.

Posted by Stalolin

black people

no, i'm not a racist, but stereotypes get me for some reason

it also doesn't help that there are only 8,000 of them out of 1,429,096 and most of them live in the northern parts, so i'm really not used to seeing them and i've hardly talked with them

DON'T THINK LESS OF ME GUYS

Yeah, black people can be freaky. Especially if there's like a decent sized pack walking down the street and you're alone.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, black people can be freaky. Especially if there's like a decent sized pack* walking down the street and you're alone.

*Tribe

Also, what the hell? Fans?

Posted by Ant

He would hate my house then. Little guys are all over the place. Ceiling fans that is.

Quoted post: Also, what the hell? Fans?

idk, it's a phobia. like most phobias it's pretty irrational

Posted by Arcadios

lol no mexicans yet

I dislike spiders and snakes.
That's about it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

man, i wanna chase vamp down teh street with a desk fan

but then like, he trips, and i accidentally run into him, and his hair gets caught in the fan, and it rips his scalp off

lol

Posted by Arcadios

then skull burns with black flames of grim etc. etc.

Quoted post: man, i wanna chase vamp down teh street with a desk fan

It's funny because you can't read.

Posted by Ant

LoS's phobia, Reading.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: man, i wanna chase vamp down teh street with a desk fan

but then like, he trips, and i accidentally run into him, and his hair gets caught in the fan, and it rips his scalp off

lol

What has your desk fan got under the hood? It's got quite a bit of torque to rip scalps!

Posted by Linko_16

The only thing I can honestly call an irrational fear is that I sometimes worry about being snuck up on and spooked by ghosts or phantoms. It's not even what they might do to me that I'm afraid of, it's just that I might turn a corner, pull back my shower curtain, or even open my eyes and there will be some evil, decayed, grinning face. Heck, I've even stopped surfing the web and gone to read a book just because I was struck by the sudden thought that they could turn my computer into, like, one of those "screamer" flash movies, just suddenly appearing there while I'm in the middle of a sentence and howling at me.

It's really just because of all the horror movies I've watched in my life. I'd be great at writing one of my own, since I know what would be the scariest situations to sneak in a sudden shock.

Posted by The Judge

Hatred. Pure terror and hatred for this being.

Posted by Stalolin

oh lol it's the dnd doppleganger

Posted by The Judge

Therein being the joke. Regardless, I dislike even make-believe situations regarding myself being impersonated (fortunately Dopplegangers aren't a very commonly-used enemy in games I play in).

Posted by Slade

Huh, guess mine isn't a phobia. Deep, murky water just makes me a little nervous.

Quoted post: ceiling fans and big boats.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

You know, sometimes they put ceiling fans on big boats, so I can see how they're related.

Either of your phobias ever affect you hardcore? as in, you just showed up at someones house, see a ceiling fan, and run away screaming. something like that

Posted by Ant

lol

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Ant: I don't have any.

Sock Puppets.

Posted by Stalolin

ant's afraid of sock puppets?

oh man I know what I'm bringing if I ever go down there

Posted by The Judge

Simpson's reference lost.

Posted by Lord of Spam

i saw nothing more than the quote that said fans, and ill be *******ing****ED if ill reread a thread to see what someone is refering to if the first thing i see is a partial quote.

suck my balls.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Oh, and vamp, the engine room ventilation fans on an aircraft carrier are about 15 feet in daimeter, and are placed in the ceiling for increased efficiency. :3

2 for 1

Posted by Linko_16

Do they have grates over them? I mean, I imagine the fear is from them possibly falling on him.

Posted by Lord of Spam

i doubt theres much that could stop a 15 foot wide steel ceiling fan should it decide to fall

Quoted post: Either of your phobias ever affect you hardcore? as in, you just showed up at someones house, see a ceiling fan, and run away screaming. something like that

It's just sleeping under them that bothers me. Quite a long story actually from when I was pretty young.

Quoted post: Oh, and vamp, the engine room ventilation fans on an aircraft carrier are about 15 feet in daimeter, and are placed in the ceiling for increased efficiency. :3

That wouldn't really bother me. It's not like either fear is all that intense anyways. They're just the two most irrational ones I have.

Posted by Slade

Laaaaaaaaame. Next time be more irrational, okay?

Posted by Linko_16

MOLE PEOPLE.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm scared of lions, or any large predator that can escape zoos and eat me. Grizzly bears in forests, exc.

Posted by ExoXile

Roacherbugs.

I hate them, so It's more like hate for them I guess.

The phobia would be that there'd be something wrong with me.
Whenever I go eating peanuts my mind tells my I'm allergic to them, and I get trouble breathing, etc.

I will probably not be able to eat peanuts again before I check with a doctor to see if I really am allergic.
No matter how much I know I'm not, my mind says differently.

It's like that with other stuff, too.

Quoted post: Roacherbugs.

cockroaches?

Posted by ExoXile

Aye.

Hate them

Posted by Sterling

that's what you call them in sweden?

lol roacherbugs

Posted by Omni

I have a phobia of banned countries.

Posted by Stalolin

UNRELATED STORY

when i was like 10 i read this book about a vampire bunny and for a few nights afterward i had this recurring dream about a bunny with blood red eyes opening a panel above my ceiling and just staring at me

i needed to share that thanks for listening

Posted by Ant

lol

Posted by Omni

Quoting Stalolin: UNRELATED STORY

when i was like 10 i read this book about a vampire bunny and for a few nights afterward i had this recurring dream about a bunny with blood red eyes opening a panel above my ceiling and just staring at me

i needed to share that thanks for listening

I remember that book, but I can't remember the name. :(

Bunnicula?

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;807413]Bunnicula?

that's the one

I remember those. Man, nostalgiaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by Linko_16

Eerie, I was just thinking about that book for the first time in like, ten years, just this evening.

Posted by Shade

What's the word for "fear of butterflies"?

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Shade;807434]What's the word for "fear of butterflies"?

Probably Rhopaloceraphobia.

Posted by Ant

probably doppleganger for faggot

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Ant;807444]probably doppleganger for faggot

you just wait, i'll take your place in life

then i'll have all of the fat jokes pointed at me

Posted by Linko_16

Idea: someone find a picture of some guy that looks just like Derek. Then we all put that picture in our sigs.

Posted by Stalolin

I KNOW JUST THE PERSON

now begins the quest to find a picture of him

Posted by Lord of Spam

oh man, epic sig bandwagon 08

Posted by Slade

****, I saw one just the other day, too. Don't remember why/how/where/what though.

Posted by WillisGreeny

This is probably less funny, but we could use pics of is house instead?

Posted by Ant

how bout neither.

Quoted post: This is probably less funny, but we could use pics of is house instead?

that's just stupid

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm going to find the picture of photobooth Derek.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=25225

How about we all use one from this thread? lulz to be had

Posted by The Judge

Sure would be hilarious.

Posted by Ant

I'd rather not see his face plastered everywhere I go on the site. The one IRL is enough.

Posted by Arcadios

Worse than last Year's April Fool's Joke.

Quoted post: I'd rather not see his face plastered everywhere I go on the site. The one IRL is enough.

even without the irl thing it'd be too much

Posted by The Judge

Zing

That's right, different thread, same response.

nah, you got a pretty face.

pretty ugletc

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I just giggle when I imagine you in a trench coat.

Posted by The Judge

...Why?

[url]www.myspace.com/prinny_dood[/url]
I have several on there of me in a trench coat.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://a840.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/9/l_3287c547fc4a3dc49fce8fb998e2fdcf.jpg

Best image on the internet. I love how all the girls in the comments section are like 'OOOOOH DEREK I LOVE YOU' and you're all like 'GOT PUBES? NOT INTERESTED!'

Posted by The Judge

...You know me.

Quoted post: Best image on the internet. I love how all the girls in the comments section are like 'OOOOOH DEREK I LOVE YOU' and you're all like 'GOT PUBES? NOT INTERESTED!'

haha, wow

Posted by mis0

[quote=Kolo]are you black?
I'm about as white as you can possibly be, excluding albinos. It's because I live in the desert, that I can't swim. Aside from falling into an arroyo or something in a flash flood, there's no practical application for swimming in my life.

Posted by Ant

swimming isn't really that hard :l

Posted by ExoXile

Moer liek float.

In the sea, at least.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=mis0;809175]I'm about as white as you can possibly be, excluding albinos. It's because I live in the desert, that I can't swim. Aside from falling into an arroyo or something in a flash flood, there's no practical application for swimming in my life.

i live in a desert where i would have no use for swimming aside from entertainment as well, but i know how to swim

OH WHAT NOW MISO

I'VE JUST TRUMPED YOU IN SOMETHING

Posted by The Judge

I'm severely hydrophobic and I know how to swim. Very well, actually.

WHAT NOW?!

Posted by mis0

Quoting Stalolin: i live in a desert where i would have no use for swimming aside from entertainment as well, but i know how to swim

OH WHAT NOW MISO

I'VE JUST TRUMPED YOU IN SOMETHING

What now? Well nothing. Go swim in your filthy water, you prole.

Posted by Ant

WHAT'S THAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF YOU NOT SWIMMING

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I really wanna go swimming now. I wonder if my thin little arms can still carry my pudgy belly across the water.

Posted by WillisGreeny

So if everyone is becoming fat, then Ant needs to become skinny.

Posted by Sterling

vegan

Posted by ExoXile

Wtf you doin' here?

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting Linko_16: Idea: someone find a picture of some guy that looks just like Derek. Then we all put that picture in our sigs.

I don't know, this isn't too bad:

Just imagine him with blonde hair. (IT'S A GOOD ALBUM, BY THE WAY!!!!!)

Posted by Stalolin

I have a constANT fear that someone's always near

Posted by ExoXile

Iron Maiden be the awesome.