Computer fan problem

Posted by Slade

I have two fans in the rear of my tower, one inside a compartment I can't get into(the one with the power switch), and one right below that, outside the compartment. The one inside the compartment is rattling and bent out of shape. I'm wondering if I can possibly just shut that one off, but I don't know how. Since I don't have the tools to get into the compartment and I have no money, replacing it isn't an option, and I don't think anything will overheat in there because the other fan is working really well.

So... How do I shut off/disable the fan I can't get to?

Posted by ExoXile

Sounds like a vent fan.
Shouldn't be any bigger problems if you turn it off.

You might get a warmer system, but don't worry, it won't overheat.

My advice would be to take it out.
But you say you don't have the tools?
Gotta have some special computer case going on..

Anyway!
If removing it isn't an option:
Download [URL="http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php"]SpeedFan[/URL] and pot it down to 00%.

Just make sure you change the speed of the right fan. =/
CPU FAN AT 00% WOULDN'T BE SO MUCH FUN, HU-HU.

Seriously though, you can't open it with a normal screwdriver?

Posted by Slade

Alright, thanks. I'll try that out.

Yeah, this case is in four pieces. The front and sides are easy to remove, but the top takes a special screwdriver. And I can't see any easy way to get into the little compartment where this fan is.

Posted by ExoXile

Weird.

Yeah, speedfan should work.
G'luck.

Posted by Slade

Status update: Got speedfan, haven't figured out how to turn off my fan yet. I'm afraid it doesn't even register on that program, because on there it shows something like

Fan 1: 0
Fan 2: 3302

So maybe my fan is so messed up it doesn't even read? I'm really tempted to cut the wires on the front(outside) of the fan. But I imagine that would cause problems/be a fire hazard. lame

Posted by ExoXile

If you are sure it's the right cord, just turn everything of an cut it.
Just tape the ends with something.

I'd believe it's because it's a chassis fan that it says Fan 1: 0, you cold always try bringing it down to 00% and see if the sound stops.

How old is your computer?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

just get a new power supply. they're like, sixty bucks

Posted by ExoXile

But it's not the power supply?

Quoted post: one inside a compartment I can't get into(the one with the power switch),

sounds like a power supply to me!

Posted by ExoXile

;_;'

Yeah, Slade.
Don't cut any cords.

Yeah, it's pretty ****ing important to have that fan running.

Posted by ExoXile

Could be the compartment on the front too, though.

it's the power supply.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Slade;805548]I'm really tempted to cut the wires on the front(outside) of the fan.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;805651]it's the power supply.
Idk...

yeah, front of the fan, not necessarily front of the computer...

though what a fan would be doing near the on/off button that isn't the CPU fan, I have no idea

Posted by ExoXile

Yeah. Idk.

But there shouldn't be a cord going to the power supply fan? =/
Especially not outside the power supply...

Yes there should. The power supply hooks up to ever component in the computer

Posted by ExoXile

I'm starting to get confused now.

But yeah, Slade.

If it's the power supply you're talking about, there's really nothing you can do.
Except buying a new one.
It's easy to tell if it's the power supply, it's the one connected to the power cable, dur.

If it isn't the power supply after all, it could be fixed rather easily.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, it must be the power supply because it's connected to everything else. I looked for a cable that only controlled the fan, but I guess that would be inside the power supply, and that's why I can't get to it. As for getting an new one, it'll be at least March before I can get a job. I'll probably just wait until my brother buys a new mac laptop so I can buy his old widescreen fukken awesome one for a good price.

But yeah, thanks dudes. Right now I've got two of the screws on the grate outside the fan unscrewed(the two I could reach), and I've got a guitar pick jammed in there to keep the fan from vibrating against anything. Now it just sort of rattles and is annoying.

Go to a local computer repair shop, if it's anything like mine they have tons of power supplies they're never going to use. As long as it's just a temporary thing, you don't need a new one and they'll probably sell it to you for ten bucks. Or even give it to you for free because they aren't going to do anything else with it.