Sonic Chronicles: A Sonic RPG by Bioware

Posted by Linko_16

Posting here on account of the Sonic board being dead.

http://kotaku.com/344121/nintendo-power-reveals-sonic-chronicles-biowares-hedgehog-rpg

I'm hopeful for it, considering how awesome it turned out last time a renowned RPG company made a game for a classic platforming king (Super Mario RPG). In fact, seeing Sonic in the hands of anyone other than Sega can only be a good thing.

Posted by Echo

The only reason I have any hope for this is that it's being handled by Bioware. And the hand-drawn style sounds like it could look really nice.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

They're choosing to do this over Baldur's Gate 3 or Mass Erect 2?

BIOWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!

Posted by Arcadios

I have no reaction to this game.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I want my Baldur's Gate III. :'(

Still, this should be good.

Posted by Linko_16

Jeux France managed to score some [url=http://www.jeux-france.com/news23537_sonic-rpg-les-premieres-images.html]early scans from that Nintendo Power isssue[/url].

Posted by Iris

11 possible playable characters? Ew, we're going to be seeing a lot more of the uninspired characters of this decade. The watercolor designs make the character models look like trash, though the settings look pretty cool.

Also, turn-based kind of sucks.

Posted by maian

Eh. Could be good, but the fact that pretty much all of Sonic's characters suck, that dampens things. Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails were the only good characters, and even they managed to become retarded after the change to 3D.

Posted by Zeta

Metal Sonic and Gamma disagree with your faggotry.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Zeta: Metal Sonic and Gamma disagree with your faggotry.

take out gamma and replace that with AMY ROSE da pink hedgehog and you're right!

and the game will probably suck, no matter what they do.

Posted by Borealis

Interestingggg

Posted by Shade

Turn-based Sonic? What is the world coming to?

I'll rent it. Maybe.

Posted by maian

I'll rephrase that:

Almost everything in Sonic was fairly awesome before it became 3D. And when it did, all the characters got ruined, and new ones only got worse. It ruined the atmosphere, and just...everything about Sonic. I just think with all the damage that happened to Sonic in 3D, most new Sonic games aren't going to do so well, especially ones heavy on story.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting maian: I'll rephrase that:

Almost everything in Sonic was fairly awesome before it became 3D. And when it did, all the characters got ruined, and new ones only got worse. It ruined the atmosphere, and just...everything about Sonic. I just think with all the damage that happened to Sonic in 3D, most new Sonic games aren't going to do so well, especially ones heavy on story.

Honestly I thought Sonic Adventure was a great game for the time it came out, but SA2 and the games that came after were very poor.

Posted by S

Once Shadow came around, it all went down hill.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Malevolence

I don't think the addition of Shadow killed it, moreso the terrible story behind it.

Shadow is a very favored character by a lot of casuals to the series.

Posted by Iris

The 2D games are still decent. Even after SA2, Sonic Advance 1-3 were pretty nice. Granted, that's because there was little to no dialogue and a lot of SA2 characters were absent.

Posted by Malevolence

I still think the out of species relationship between Knuckles and Rouge is pretty hot.

*cough*

Posted by Speedfreak

Maker of serious, boring RPGs mostly devoid of gameplay creates RPG of a franchise known for it's shallow but fun action gameplay.

What the f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck? Am I the only one noticing the slight incompatibility here?

Posted by Fate

What company are you talking about? :confused:

This could be fun if they stress more Sonic and less RPG. Kind of like the first Paper Mario.

Quoting Speedfreak: Maker of serious, boring RPGs mostly devoid of gameplay creates RPG of a franchise known for it's shallow but fun action gameplay.

What the f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck? Am I the only one noticing the slight incompatibility here?

Bioware? Haha, right. Although I can see how you would come up with that, considering your tastes.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Pretty sure Speedfreak is basing his analysis of BioWare entirely on the first KOTOR.

Which would be ****ing stupid because it's their worst game.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm still waiting for a new decent sonic-like sonic game...

Posted by Linko_16

I'm sure that any game company, when given a character like Sonic, would change their usual style as necessary to fit the franchise.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Maker of serious, boring RPGs mostly devoid of gameplay creates RPG of a franchise known for it's shallow but fun action gameplay.

Imagine how 90% of the people who heard of this when they announced it felt.

Bioware makes p.good games, too, you just have to get through them a little bit.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: What company are you talking about? :confused:

This could be fun if they stress more Sonic and less RPG. Kind of like the first Paper Mario.

Second Paper Mario is a better example all round. Super Mario RPG is a better example than that actually.

This is very interesting. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't understand why they didn't continue Mario RPG. Why did it have to change into Paper Mario? They aren't the same :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;806176]Imagine how 90% of the people who heard of this when they announced it felt.

Bioware makes p.good games, too, you just have to get through them a little bit.

That wasn't really the point I was making. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Sonic; which one doesn't quite fit?

It's like Nintendo making a Metal Gear game. Not that they couldn't do it, they'd just focus more around certain aspects and less on others. Which would be weird to Metal Gear fans.

I just can't picture a story-heavy Sonic RPG (well, actually I can, recent Sonic games have had far too much story, but that's beside the point!) If they're not going to do the big story thing then why are BioWare even doing the game?

Posted by Fate

Because BioWare makes story-heavy games. Did you ever play the games they made or what?

Posted by Speedfreak

If interaction with characters being your latest game's main feature isn't indicative of a story-heavy game I don't know what the hell is.

There's more to story than plot. Play a tabletop RPG sometime, they're entirely story-focused.

Posted by Fate

Playing main-story-only things are boring. RPGs are notorious for having sidequests because in a "life" simulation, you've got a lot more **** to do than just waiting for the next day to happen. You meet people, do other stuff, and often get distracted from your main goal. The games give you the option of not doing anything other than the main story. I think you may have misunderstood me because all I was trying to say was that even though you can't picture a story-heavy game relating to Sonic, there's a mega-****-ton of other things you can do that just require a little bit of text cuts. BioWare could do epic sidequests for all we know.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sorry, epic sidequests wouldn't come under "story heavy" how, exactly?

It's not just the story thing. I also find it weird that such a high profile RPG developer is even bothering to work on such a burnt-out franchise. Does anyone even care about Sonic after a good 15 years of awful games?

Posted by Iris

Oh wow. Yeah, pretty sure there's a lot of people who still like Sonic, regardless of the 5 or so years of uninspired games.

I don't think many people are that concerned with a deep and immersive plot in Sonic, regardless of whether it's in RPG form or not. Did people play Paper Mario because they thought the Princess getting captured was an amazing idea? No, surely they played for the unique gameplay, familiar faces, and new design. Same thing will happen for Sonic if they can get all that down.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah but then I thought Paper Mario was bloody awful.

Posted by Bebop

Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario?

Posted by S

I confess I am still a Sonic fanboy, even to this day. I stopped playing after Sonic Adventure II, but Sonic is still my childhood idol.

Posted by Malevolence

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop;807586]Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario?

Paper Mario. The gameplay really, really sucks.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: That wasn't really the point I was making. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Sonic; which one doesn't quite fit?

that's what i and 90% of the people he heard about it got from it.

???:( ???

Posted by WillisGreeny

Mass Effect, since the others don't promote sex with aliens according to Fox.