Watchmen

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Watchmen_poster.jpg[/IMG]

Coming 6th of March 2009, so I guess it's a little early to be discussing it in depth, but I just got through with my new Absolute Watchmen hardback that I received at Christmas, so I done a little digging around about the movie. Apparently Alan Moore hates the **** out of it already, and is giving away all his share of the film royalties to David Gibbons, the penciller/colorer of the original comic. Personally, I'm not sure it's going to work that well. The movie stills (like the one below) look fantastic, but I figure a lot of stuff is going to be lost in transition - the book excerpts at the end of each chapter were pretty important to the understanding of the characters, and there's no way they can work them in there. Plus, there's around ten plots running at the same time. No wonder Moore is hacked off.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Rorshach_300.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Apparently Alan Moore hates the **** out of it already, and is giving away all his share of the film royalties to David Gibbons, the penciller/colorer of the original comic.

Like this is anything new. Moore hates the **** out of everything. He did the same with From Hell, LXG (rightfully so,) V for Vendetta and Constantine. Plus, he got dicked around on pretty much every movie, dragged into a lawsuits and had his words twisted, etc; so he's completely distanced himself from films. Even if it was an amazing movie he'd likely ignore it because of all the problems he's had.

Though he also just seems like an old man wanting to cause **** because he's done the same with comics and other stuff he's been involved in. So whatever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hated V for Vendetta, too.

Ugh, mega tired. Pretty much completely rewrote that post.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Watchmen_poster.jpg[/IMG]

Coming 6th of March 2009, so I guess it's a little early to be discussing it in depth, but I just got through with my new Absolute Watchmen hardback that I received at Christmas, so I done a little digging around about the movie. Apparently Alan Moore hates the **** out of it already, and is giving away all his share of the film royalties to David Gibbons, the penciller/colorer of the original comic. Personally, I'm not sure it's going to work that well. The movie stills (like the one below) look fantastic, but I figure a lot of stuff is going to be lost in transition - the book excerpts at the end of each chapter were pretty important to the understanding of the characters, and there's no way they can work them in there. Plus, there's around ten plots running at the same time. No wonder Moore is hacked off.

Old old old news.
Besides it's out in 2008 and that still isn't from the film. It's a screen test.

I'm looking forward to it but Watchmen is a comment on comic books. Hows a media that was a comment on its own media going to work in a different format?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Dude, it's definitely a 2009 release. Check the official site.

Yeah, 2009. Either way, it's being directed by Zach Snyder so I have high hopes for it.

Posted by Bebop

300 was good but adding stuff to a bog standard Frank Millar is different to translating possibly the most significent graphic novel by the most important, reputable graphic novelist.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I wouldn't attribute the faithful adaption of 300 to Snyder, so much as I would Millar. He took a really deep involvement in the production of the film, hence the amount of shots that recreated panels from the comic book almost perfectly. Alan Moore is doing pretty much the opposite of that. (I think Gibbons is involved, but in a minor advisory role) There is however, a really good set shot of the news stand that's a near-perfect reconstruction of the one from the Watchmen comics.

Who knows, right? Still have to wait 14 months.

Quoted post: 300 was good but adding stuff to a bog standard Frank Millar is different to translating possibly the most significent graphic novel by the most important, reputable graphic novelist.

Doesn't have to be a direct translation to be good. It's not going to happen so don't expect it. I mean, Synder made the Dawn of the Dead remake and though it was basically completely different, it turned out to be a great film.

Posted by Red

Quoting The X: Personally, I'm not sure it's going to work that well. The movie stills (like the one below) look fantastic, but I figure a lot of stuff is going to be lost in transition - the book excerpts at the end of each chapter were pretty important to the understanding of the characters, and there's no way they can work them in there. Plus, there's around ten plots running at the same time. No wonder Moore is hacked off.

first off, I borrowed the book from a friend and am on chapter 2 right now. I haven't been reading the book excerpts, I was going to read them after reading everything else...should I be reading them right after finishing the chapter?

second, I agree that from going from the book to movie might make things worse...by that screen Rorschach looks decent, but my worry is that when it's not a still shot, will the black blobs on his face be moving? each cell the blobs on his mask take a different shape and position on his mask, I'm hoping they do it right in the movie.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Red;804070]first off, I borrowed the book from a friend and am on chapter 2 right now. I haven't been reading the book excerpts, I was going to read them after reading everything else...should I be reading them right after finishing the chapter?
Read them after each chapter. It gives a lot of character development that would be irrelevant if you read it and the end of the book.

Posted by Bebop

David Hayter is one of the screen writers for Watchmen! Mental!

Not that surprising. He's done a few other movies like X-Men I think.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... Yeah, and the Scorpion King. That Mummy spin-off starring the Rock. :(

Wasn't half as bad as I was expecting really. Plus, that was way long ago and X-Men 1 and 2 totally makes up for it.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;803532]Yeah, 2009. Either way, it's being directed by Zach Snyder so I have high hopes for it.
Commence pants cream... NOW.
[quote=Bebop;804384]David Hayter is one of the screen writers for Watchmen! Mental!
The same guy that ran around in a rubber suit in Guyver II? Just ****ing around, but no-really.. Solid Snake is going to co-write?

Posted by Bebop

Ive actually lost faith. Scorpian King was horse wank and X-Men wasn't exactly fantastic. Considering that he had far more material to work with for that film and it was barely average I question his input on a film based specifically and wholely around the most significent graphic novel ever.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Oh my photos

If the pictures are not showing up for you heres the link to the post I found it from on another forum.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791186

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Great... mostly. Nite Owl's costume is supposed to be really unflattering though, which doesn't come across here. I know they can't make it look overly corny, but at least show that he's your average 40 year old guy.

Silk Spectre is ****ing atrocious. ATROCIOUS.

Yeah, Nite Owl looks too... fit I guess.