I put some Star Wars in your Soul Calibur 4.

Posted by Zeta

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/vader.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/yoda.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

holy ****ing ****. This game suddenly shot up high in my 'to buy' list. How did Namco/Bandai strike a deal like this? Only way I can think of is that Bandai has the Star Wars toy license.

Posted by Dexter

They should have made Yoda a puppet.

Posted by muffla

BuT wHY dONt TeH sAberz cuTZ thru the SWardZ?!?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'd say this is really ****ing stupid if it wasn't really ****ing awesome. In that "haha, oh wow this is stupidly awesome" kinda way.

Posted by Shade

Oh ***, can't wait to flip all over the place as Yoda. Awesome.

And oh yeah, GRAPHICS YUM.

Posted by muffla

http://kotaku.com/343089/vader--yodas-new-sciv-trailer

BOL GAY

Posted by Shade

I'm still excited.

Cheesy, but not bad.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]But the swords may have met their match.

LIGHTSABERS ARE ON PAR WITH MYSTICAL SOUL-SUCKING SWORDS

Posted by Linko_16

Huh, my first reaction to the screenshots were that they looked shopped to me for some reason, but I guess it's legit.

I'm actually not pleased... I love Star Wars, and these are easily the two best characters, but it just doesn't fit together. Maybe if it were just Yoda, I'd get over the technological intrusion of the lightsabre (a tiny, old, green elf with super powers almost seems just Soul Calibur's style), but having a guy running around in a space suit just ruins the look in my eyes.

I honestly hope I get over it, because I can't help but see it as anything but silly.

Quoted post: but having a guy running around in a space suit just ruins the look in my eyes.

Spawn? Half the **** you could make in SC3? This isn't anything new to the franchise.

Posted by Linko_16

Things like that "Model X" or whatever the **** it was in the custom character creation didn't matter because it was far removed from the main game - even if you created a robotic-looking character or tried to re-create whatever character it was they were mimicking, it was just your own custom character, nothing was canon. By entering Darth Vader as an actual character, he's entered into a story that he just doesn't belong in, he's given special cut scenes, he's on the box, he's in the official art... even if he doesn't officially do anything and is forgotten in Soul Calibur V, it ruins the feel of the game for me.

As for Spawn, I don't know a lot about him since I didn't have the X-Box version and never actually saw him in action, but didn't he just use a normal hand-axe? He even looked like he belonged in Soul Calibur next to characters like Astaroth and Charade, just like Heihachi kinda did next to Mitsurugi and Taki, and Link did next to Sophitia and Lizardman. Big tin suit? Not so much.

Spawn's way more outlandish than any other character in the game, including Darth Vader if you ask me. Not like it really matters. They're probably just unlockable characters to dick around with. There's no integrity in either franchise to keep in tact.

Posted by maian

Somehow, I'm guessing that they're not going to take the characters as far as they did in SC2, as in having their own art, stories, etc. I think it's going to be more like "Hey guess what Vader's in this too lol", like it was when Mario, Luigi, and Peach were in that basketball game.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Spawn's way more outlandish than any other character in the game, including Darth Vader if you ask me.

Maybe there's stuff about Spawn I don't know (I don't exactly follow the comics), but I don't know how you can say that. "Used to be a man, but fell to a horrible fate, now a cursed demon out of hell forced to walk the earth" sounds far more native to Soul Calibur than "SPACE MAN."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Who cares? Darth Vader is less ridiculous than Voldo.

In terms of his moveset. Levitating alone is enough.

Still though, why not a "space man"? Look at all the other characters they have in the game. Half of them are more ridiculous than Vader. It's not that much of a stretch. It's just a fighter. I mean, even DoA (which had WAY more "realistic" characters than SC ever had) had a Spartan in it. Not that big of a deal.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This just in!

X360: Yoda
PS3: Darth Vader

They're 'considering' making each character DLC for the respective consoles. jee wizz, money grabbing ploy, or what?

Posted by Linko_16

Ugh. And now the character I'd rather have is on the console I rather wouldn't. How nice.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: In terms of his moveset. Levitating alone is enough.

Super-natural powers have been a part of the game from the beginning, though. The entire series is about a sword that eats human souls.

[QUOTE=Vampiro V. Empire;803362]Still though, why not a "space man"? Look at all the other characters they have in the game. Half of them are more ridiculous than Vader. It's not that much of a stretch.

It's the stylistic change that bothers me. Sure, you've got Yoshimitsu, some kind of bizarre 16th century wooden cyborg, Lizardman, a man turned into a reptile, Astaroth, a golem brought to life by an ancient war ***, Olcadan, an owl-headed combat expert... of course Soul Calibur is host to colorful characters. Still, everyone so far has obeyed the historical and/or mythological rules of medieval Europe/Ancient Greece/Feudal Japan. The space-aged characters and technology, even if you want to make the excuse that they co-existed with Soul Calibur events already (after all, it is set "long, long ago"), just don't follow those rules. Just because Heihachi and Spawn normally find themselves in our modern, technologically advanced environment doesn't mean they brought rocket launchers back in time with them... Heihachi brought his fists, and Spawn brought his demonic abilities. That fit. A man who blasted down to Earth in a rocket and fights with a laser sword in a space suit doesn't.

I'm not saying "This is why everyone should hate it and the game should be boycotted," I'm just saying "This is what really bugs me about it." Good for you, too bad for me. Like I said, I wish I didn't have a problem with it.

Quoted post: This just in!

X360: Yoda
PS3: Darth Vader

They're 'considering' making each character DLC for the respective consoles. jee wizz, money grabbing ploy, or what?

Just read this. And I was like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" because I don't want Yoda and I don't want to buy the game for PS3. I might actually consider buying Vader if the price is right (read: 3 bucks and under.)

Quoted post: "Magic" and super-natural abilities have been a part of the game from the beginning, though. The entire series is about a sword that eats human souls.

No one else flies. And it's not like Vader's technology will have any impact on the game whatsoever. It's just a skin. It's every other sword with a constant glow. There's really no constant in the games, no specific character follows any rules. The developers just bend **** to make it work. No different with Vader or Spawn or Link or any other ****ed up character.

in short: lol fighters

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, if the opening titles are to be believed, Star Wars happened 'a long time ago'...

WHO'S TO SAY, LOL

Posted by Ant

well, they had to find some sort of gimmick to keep the soul calibur series alive. and man, they got a good one.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No one else flies.

That doesn't really contradict my point at all. Demon powers, flight and all, fits alongside all the other supernatural phenomenon in the series without breaking away from the style. You think after a man seeking escape from eternal life unleashes the power of two magic swords to transform himself into some kind of Evil G[color=indigo]od of the Abyss, levitation is the deal-breaker that makes Star Wars plausible?

[QUOTE=Vampiro V. Empire;803371]There's really no constant in the games, no specific character follows any rules.

Yeah, they have: the rule I just said about keeping things within the context of that piece of history and its mythology, even with intruding characters. Even if developers hadn't been trying to enforce that as a rule (which I guess neither of us can say), it's still a trend that's been there up until now.

I'm not offended that it doesn't bother you, but I honestly don't know how you can say Darth Vader blends right in. You're basically making the case that because the tale of King Arthur involved such creatures as the Lady of the Lake and dragons and magic wizards, it makes perfect sense for the Zorkar people of the Quaftar nebula to land their craft right atop the round table and start zapping everything in sight with their ray guns. It's just a different genre.

EDIT - It just occurred to me that DLC stands for "downloadable content," meaning that each character is probably a completely superficial extra, hopefully with no attempt to give them a "story mode" and fit them into the plot. I don't even have to download them if I don't feel like it. If I'm lucky, I'll have no reason to gripe after all.
[/color]

Posted by Speedfreak

IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE STORYLINES IN FIGHTING GAMES YOU'RE A COCK. PERIOD.

All their storylines are terrible, for all intents and purposes they exist outside the game anyway. They only exist because some pedantic game designer decided we needed a reason to see martial artists being the snot out of eachother. This doesn't affect Star Wars canon and who the hell cares if it affects SCs crappy story either? Look at this as an oppertunity to see Darth fighting Asteroth or some shit because that's all this is.

I just wish they could've picked two better characters. Yoda is just sort of...silly, and I don't know if you guys have ever seen the original trilogy but Darth Vader wasn't the most mobile or exicting fighter. Seeing him zip around like a ninja in this game is just going to look weird. I really would've preferred Luke, but oh well.

Posted by Bebop

They should focus on making the games fun to play, rather than sticking in awesome characters as a gimmick.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Speedfreak: IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE STORYLINES IN FIGHTING GAMES YOU'RE A COCK. PERIOD.

TO ME, IT LOOKS REALLY, REALLY BAD AND FEELS REALLY, REALLY INAPPROPRIATE. I'M NOT SITTING HERE WRINGING MY HANDS, SAYING TO MYSELF "ZOMG HOW WILL THIS AFFECT SIGFRIED'S QUEST TO DESTROY THE SOUL EDGE??/"

Quoted post: Yeah, they have: the rule I just said about keeping things within the context of that piece of history and its mythology, even with intruding characters.

Yeah, a rule in which they completely bend to fit in other characters. Like Spawn. And Link. And Vader.

Posted by Malevolence

Linko is just saying that Darth vader and Yoda stand out more than any other character. To him, Spawn, Heihachi, and Link all seemed to blend in rather well. Unfortunately to him, a space man with a light sabre doesn't. It's like Soul Calibur is the green, Spawn, heihachi and link, are the light green, and then Darth vader is the purple. It doesn't blend.

Think of it what you will, but I don't think trying to tell him that it's not that big of a deal is going to quell his thoughts on the matter of adding two Star wars characters into a game that is themed in a completely different way.

It doesn't affect me at all, don't care too much about a game that isn't releasing on the only next-gen console I own. But you're probably wasting your own time arguing against him about what you think, and what HE thinks is right.

Posted by Shade

WOOOO YODA.

Posted by Fate

I remember a while back I was talking about how terrible the game was, what with the clipping of limbs and weapons, the shine of the animation, the moves that didn't connect or connected from a great distance when they weren't supposed to, etc. At the time I also didn't know how popular the game was and upon discovering that I was amazed that it was supposed to be good or something.

What do I know about fighting games, anyway. Oh, yeah, relevance: Too bad this doesn't make me want to play it any more.
:/

Quoted post: Linko is just saying that Darth vader and Yoda stand out more than any other character. To him, Spawn, Heihachi, and Link all seemed to blend in rather well. Unfortunately to him, a space man with a light sabre doesn't. It's like Soul Calibur is the green, Spawn, heihachi and link, are the light green, and then Darth vader is the purple. It doesn't blend.

Think of it what you will, but I don't think trying to tell him that it's not that big of a deal is going to quell his thoughts on the matter of adding two Star wars characters into a game that is themed in a completely different way.

It doesn't affect me at all, don't care too much about a game that isn't releasing on the only next-gen console I own. But you're probably wasting your own time arguing against him about what you think, and what HE thinks is right.

Lately you've become well versed in point out the obvious.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Lately you've become well versed in point out the obvious.
If it was obvious, then I don't think there would have been so much question about it in the first place.

Posted by Degeneration

I'm with Linko, pretty much. The two of them are cool and all, but in SC? Awkward.

Well, if they get a bunch of fighting n00bs on board, more power to them, I guess.

JUST MORE SCUM FOR MY CERVANTES TO PUT DOWN

Quoted post: If it was obvious, then I don't think there would have been so much question about it in the first place.

Or maybe I like arguing? Hmm, IDK

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Or maybe I like arguing? Hmm, IDK

Heh, point taken.

Posted by muffla

i like how the xbox has a little bit of green in it ant it has yoda where as the ps3 is all black and they get vader

Posted by Shade

How astute of you.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Does no one remember Necrid? I used to lay the beat down with his orb...

Posted by muffla

hells yea necrid was the ****

Posted by Ant

Quoting muffla: ant it has yoda where as the ps3 is all black and they get vader

I noticed the correlation there before.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Y2kMISFIT;804487]Does no one remember Necrid? I used to lay the beat down with his orb...
haet Necrid. Mitsurugi was my favourite.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting The X: haet Necrid. Mitsurugi was my favourite.

Despite how good I was at Soul calibur 2, my brother, who barely played it, always beat me with Mitsurugi. It bothered me how hard he hit.

Posted by Degeneration

At least he didn't knock you across the stage like a golf ball, the way Nightmare could. Easiest ring-outs ever.

Posted by Linko_16

I seem to recall reading something about the game developers admitting to a lack of balance in SCII, but the only character I remember them specifically mentioning is Xianghua.

Posted by Shade

Xianghua was really toned down in SC3.

I hope they keep Chronicles of the Sword in this one, and the character creation. The ninjas were like superior Takis, ownage.

Posted by Degeneration

CotS will be replaced by a new mode, but character creation is returning.

Posted by Linko_16

Yeah, it'd be a waste to throw away all those movesets they made you learn.

I can only imagine what they'll do to make it better this time. Can't wait!

Posted by Shade

Quoting Degeneration: CotS will be replaced by a new mode

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! somebody had BETTER get this

Posted by GamerForce138

I just wish you could have both Vader and Yoda on both systems. I am looking foreword to this.

You can. With DLC!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

16 June 2008. oh emm gee

That's the release date? Too far away to care. Though I can't think of any decent game coming out around that time, so whatever. Oh, except for Brawl in Europe.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

June 2009*

Posted by Shade

edit: **** YOU, I was actually worried. :(

Posted by Zeta

Armored women? In MY Soul Cali- oh wait I guess there was Hilde...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/sc4.jpg[/IMG]
Designed by the creator of Tenjho Tenge and air Gear.

There's also some Gantz character, but I can't find an image. Just aother Taki anyways.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah, I can totally see the Tenjho in that character (except for the fact that she doesn't have enormous breasts).

Posted by Shade

WHERE ARE THE BOOBS

she looks pretty cool.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yoda's the only character in this game without ****ing tits. jeez

Posted by Ant

At least this character seems tasteful. Though it wouldn't be hard with this series.

Posted by Shade

Just wait for different costumes.

Posted by Zeta

I guarantee that each female will have a simple two censor bars as one of their alts.

I'd rather someone guarantee that those censor bars won't be there. :D

Posted by Shade

Quoting Zeta: I guarantee that each female will have a simple two censor bars as one of their alts.

Least arousing alts ever.

Posted by Degeneration

New scan:

Oh, snap. Setsuka. Just when I was getting worried that SC4 would lack CHEAP-*** MOVES

Posted by maian

Shura's a skank. :cookie:

Gawd, how many characters is this game going to have?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Apart from Mitsurugi and Siegfried... Are there any guys in this game?

Posted by Degeneration

The male-female ratio is pretty much even now. Maybe that's what they were going for all along.

Posted by maian

Voldo's in it. He's a guy.

wai-

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: Apart from Mitsurugi and Siegfried... Are there any guys in this game?

There's Alucar- Er, Raphael.

As long as Cassie's in the game and they've un-nerfed her from what they did to her moves in SCIII, I'll enjoy the game.

Quoted post: Gawd, how many characters is this game going to have?

As many as it takes to shake that "wait, haven't I played this four times before?" feeling.

Posted by maian

lol

[url]www.gametrailers.com[/url]

Apparently, Vader's apprentice from Force Unleashed is a character now, too!

And, I love the rating. It earns T for "Sexual themes" and "Partial nudity". ZING

Posted by Linko_16

It was bad enough when it was a couple of popular Star Wars characters. Now they're adding ones nobody cares about?

Posted by TimeSkipz

Oh gawd more Cassandra it deserves 60 bucks right there

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

All we need now is GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE, and this crossover cluster**** will be complete.

Posted by #061402

Geez, Vader must've done the wrong things to get into this game. He has a saber that spits out a laserbeam that can cut through anything, given enough time, but he can't chop through some steel weapons?

Those steel weapons are infused with the power of the fighters' souls, so they're magical enough to counter the equally-impossible science of lightsabers...or some such nonsense.

In any case, does Vader's apprentice have such a gay little lightsaber in Force Unleashed? Give that boy a proper weapon, Lord Vader!

seems like he only uses it to bat away laser beams, so I big saber would be pretty pointless I guess.

As pointless as putting him in the game.