Study on Achievements: $$$

Posted by Big Boss

Interesting article on the importance of achievements (and any form of game accomplishment system), to both gamers (community) and developers ($$$):

[quote]http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/xbox-360-achievements-unlocking-higher-sales-says-eedar/71054/?biz=1

BIZ: With the results of your study in mind, do you think Sony's trophy system on the PS3 will have a similar effect on sales once it launches? And do you think Nintendo should implement a similar system, if only for the sales implications alone?

GZ: If properly implemented, this should be a huge boost for Sony. Currently, when compared to Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network is underused. The Trophy system has the potential to increase both the use of the PlayStation Network and of Home, and possibly to increase PlayStation 3 hardware and game sales. It will be interesting to see if, like the Xbox 360 Achievements, the Trophy system takes a while to catch on or if it immediately takes off due to greater consumer familiarity with Accomplishments.

The Wii has a different core market than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. That being said, Accomplishment systems work because they are fun. The Wii is all about fun

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, the trophy system should've been included into the PS3 from the get-go, something similar and universal for the Wii too. Hell, I know I'll buy a multiplatform game on the 360 just because that game has achievements and they're fun to get.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Devil May Cry 4's the first game to have trophies, right? ****, I can't wait for that game.

As for achievements - having easy as hell ones definitely boosts your game's sales. The CSI game that came out last month sold way more than it should, simply because it had a super-simple 1000G.

AVATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

most rented game ever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The developer's excuse was that the game was designed for little kids, who'd be frustrated by complex achievements. Yeeeeeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

How dumb does he thinks kids are?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Most preteens I know spend their after-school hours boosting to get Gears of War achievements. So that throws that theory out of the window.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Move Around : 1000 points
Find Pause : 3000 points

Posted by Speedfreak

You know where I stand on this.

5000 MILES FROM HERE.

OPTIONS MAKE ME SO MAD

RREREFOHECWPOIFH OIPNXOUFIOBV(UWEBRXOIR

Posted by Speedfreak

You can opt out now?

You can not actively pursue getting them.

Posted by Speedfreak

Still gives you a score though. It's like being given a team name for a team-based s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it eating contest you didn't want to enter. You're still given a value for something you didn't want to participate in. It's the principle of the thing.

Wow, that's a pretty ****ing stupid opinion I gotta say. Stop being a baby.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh, come now. High scores existed way before xbawks. This is essentially just a global one.

nah, dude. anything to hate on the xbawks.

Posted by Fate

Man, if there wasn't an Achievement for getting 50 survivors out of the mall in Dead Rising and the only thing I would get was a stupid (but very cool <3) cop hat, I wouldn't have bothered. But since Achievements are more or less a list of things to do, I got those **** survivors and wear my **** cop hat like what. Truth be told, the whenever I get an Achievement in that game I feel pretty proud since it gets pretty tough. Hell, whenever I get an Achievement in any game that requires a lot of work I feel pretty good. They're optional for those who don't care, but almost necessary to appeal to those who want the sense of accomplishment and care for a jabby comparison with friends. It's another network.

Quoted post: Hell, whenever I get an Achievement in any game that requires a lot of work I feel pretty good.

60 minute defense achievement in GRAW2. Proud is ****.

Posted by Fate

Exhausting as hell, I assume, but you got it right?!

Heck yeah. Two straight weeks and intense planning with the same people day in and day out paid off.

Wasn't even worth that much actually, but most fun I've had with any game. Which is where achievements really shine. Especially the ones co-op based like that one. Numerical value means jack**** in the long run, but the experience is usually pretty great. Not like you have to get the achievements that require grinding.

Posted by Fate

The greatest thing about it is that if there wasn't an Achievement for it you probably wouldn't have done it.

Exactly.

I mean, wait, no, achievements suck cause they're forced on me. Never mind.

Posted by S

The Wii sucks because the Nunchuck is forced on me.

Seriously though; it's basically just adding a new, optional, dimension of play. It's akin to adding side-quests, but the side-quests are of a universal reward system, rather than a seclusive. You don't have to do them, some are pointless even, but some will also affect how you walk away from the game. It's up to the developers to make them positive reinforcement, however.

It's the principle, man. The principle. You just, you just don't understand, all right?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;802146]nah, dude. anything to hate on the xbawks.

I'm getting one this month you queer >: O

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Within a week of Speedy getting an XBox, I bet we never fight with him ever again. Ever.

Posted by Speedfreak

You'll be in awe of how badly I beat you in Burnout.

Hey, whoa, buddy. That's not fair you've had way more practice. We'll play a game of CoD4 instead.

Though it's funny you should say that cause I was looking through cats' friends list and I saw your old gamertag. I was all "wait, wait... what?!" Boggled my mind.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;802441]Hey, whoa, buddy. That's not fair you've had way more practice. We'll play a game of CoD4 instead.

Though it's funny you should say that cause I was looking through cats' friends list and I saw your old gamertag. I was all "wait, wait... what?!" Boggled my mind.

I tried playing COD4. I was absolutely abysmal, thumbsticks make me cry. I was in awe of the animation specifically, does it use Natural Motion or something similar? The rag-doll effects were also well done, they didn't look silly like Half-Life or Oblivion at all. Not really sold on the gameplay, I felt very lost a lot of the time and my teammates running ahead of me was confusing. I only played the game for about half an hour though, I'll play the demo to death before I really decide. That's definately one aspect of 360 I'm very much looking forward to.

Single-player, like all CoD games, is intensely linear. So you shouldn't really get lost. Multiplayer is just learning the maps and the general flow of battle. Once you got that down it's pretty easy, just takes a few games. Same with the controls I guess. It's a pretty likable game and it's not like you have to jump into ranked matchmaking right away.