Looking for a store that sells Magic Starter Packs

Posted by Death-By-Minnow

I'm a little late with starting the game, but after watching friends play I figured I'd try too. Does anyone have/know how to get a list of stores that will sell starter packs for it? I'm not looking for any particular packs, just something I could buy 2 of and play a game against someone equally unskilled with.

Suggestions on good start packs that are balanced against each other would also be useful.

Posted by Roger Smith

http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?src=EssentialMagic

And it depends on what colors you like and your play style.

If you like defense, then focus on white and blue- You gain life, and you counter anything your opponent throws at you. Also called a Control deck.

If you like attacking, red and green- red for keeping creatures off your back while you build up green.

If you like to be weird and evil, go with single black. Or a good strat is to pair black with green or white, as black deals with 'hurting' yourself, IE damaging yourself or your creatures to hurt your opponent. Green spore creatures can generate token creatures usually every other turn. White can be used to gain life or control, whichever you want.

I started on the Ice Age block, Cold Snap. Then I worked my way up. I suggest you start on Time Spiral, as it not only uses new cards, it also uses cards from older blocks, so you can familiarize yourself with both old and new.

I ended up with red and green from Future Sight. Future Sight was the only pack available at the store I went to today, and it was either red/blue or red/green. I went red/green and my friend went red/blue, but the odds seem a bit skewed in favor of red/green when we play.

Thank you for your help!

Posted by Roger Smith

Eh, I'm not a fan of Future Sight. I don't like the style of the cards. Good thing it 's only for that one block.

Btw, if you have any more questions regarding Magic, just PM/IM me on AIM.

Posted by cool gamer dad

ugh, Tarmogoyf. Future Sight is nasty.

Whenever/if you decide to get into competitive play, go to http://magic.tcgplayer.com and browse the current tournament decks people are playing. It's really the only way to win at that level: taking someone else's ideas and using them... at most making a few changes to the sideboard depending on which decks are seeing heavy play in your area.

GOOD LUCK.

Posted by Ant

try your local magic shop. and you'll be pulling rabbits out of your hat in no time!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Roger Smith: http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?src=EssentialMagic

And it depends on what colors you like and your play style.

If you like defense, then focus on white and blue- You gain life, and you counter anything your opponent throws at you. Also called a Control deck.

If you like attacking, red and green- red for keeping creatures off your back while you build up green.

If you like to be weird and evil, go with single black. Or a good strat is to pair black with green or white, as black deals with 'hurting' yourself, IE damaging yourself or your creatures to hurt your opponent. Green spore creatures can generate token creatures usually every other turn. White can be used to gain life or control, whichever you want.

I started on the Ice Age block, Cold Snap. Then I worked my way up. I suggest you start on Time Spiral, as it not only uses new cards, it also uses cards from older blocks, so you can familiarize yourself with both old and new.

You do realize that pretty much any color can be played offensively or defensively, right? White weenie is great for early game zergs and building up midsized armies late games, suicide black can zerg with hella big creatures early on, red has goblins (nuf said) etc.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Lord of Spam: You do realize that pretty much any color can be played offensively or defensively, right?

No ****. I never said the colors couldn't be used in a way like that, just that each color has a specific role.

Posted by The Judge

BLACK AND GREEN. THAT'S ALL I NEED.

**** blue, blue's for mermaid-loving hippies.

**** white, white's for angel-loving faggots.

**** red, red's for goblin-loving retards.

Black and Green is where it's at.

Posted by cool gamer dad

ah yes. BG. Tarmogoyf and Thoughtseize. Wonderful.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting The Judge: BLACK AND GREEN. THAT'S ALL I NEED.

**** blue, blue's for mermaid-loving hippies.

**** white, white's for angel-loving faggots.

**** red, red's for goblin-loving retards.

Black and Green is where it's at.

... >.>

Blue: Counter/control based. Can also have great defense, as well as offensive, though offensive blue creatures are hard to come by.
Blue recommendation: Don't use for attacking or defending unless you have some neat strat in plan or you're... well ****ed. Use it strictly for countering spells and controlling your opponents moves.

White: Mostly, yeah, angelic type creatures, however, the advantages of the white creatures are massive. For one, they have the most flying creatures. (Duh, angels you tard. >.>) The color can also be used for counter SOME things and protection you/your creatures from certain colors, as well as put some control on the opponent. Though, countering and control with white is second to blue.
White recommendation: Don't use it for countering or control unless you import some blue cards and tactics into it. Making a blue/white deck. Blue/white to be honest, will RAPE if you know what you're doing. For attacking and defending, it's quite formidable. Use some control and bring out your best creatures and win the game. Simple? Lol, not against a pro. :p

Red: Ping, burn, haste, first strike, double strike, and more. My personal favorite. This color basically focuses on getting creatures to the field FAST and doing small or large damage quickly by either sorcery/instant, or abilities. Though, defensive measures with this color isn't the way to go, it's strictly OFFENSIVE. For defense you could add some blue to control, or you can and in some white for control/some defense, or even better, make a green/red and make a defender/burn deck.
Red2: Ping is a nick name for an ability that allows a creature to deal damage to the player directly just by tapping a land and the creature for some, or just the creature. Though, most of the times the ping damage is one, but creatures like the Spikeshot Goblin, you can buff up, tap a land, then the creature and deal as much damage as his attack power. Burn Just a nickname for using sorcery/instants to deal massive damage to the player, though, against a blue control deck, it's useless. The rest you should know.
The red recommendations are in the post. Re-read it if you didn't see it. :p

Green: Offensive and Defensive, as well as power ups. Yeah, you heard it POWER, but the mana cost of these bastards are immense, and trying to make your way through in a REAL MTG game with green alone is suicide. You won't win. Of course, that is unless you have an infinite land produce plan, then you're good, but we're going with the basics here. This color can also produce land, as stated a bit above, though it's a hard road to follow. I use green mostly with low cast cost defenders. Like.. 1 colorless 1 green I summon a 0/5 defender. and a 5 defense is nice. :) I also use them for land producing and offensive measures, though my green deck I have is nice and has won a good bit, it's still lacks the defense I need when I'm getting hammered.
Green recommendations: Use it with a different color, DO NOT go solid green, you will fail horribly. Maybe use it with white, to heal up if you take a bit of damage getting land out, or maybe a bit of blue to control your opponent. Hell you could use black to destroy your opponents creatures, but I HIGHLY recommend you DON'T take this road as some of the creature destroy cards also have a slightly high cast cost and will end up in your failure. You could also use red with this color to ping your way out and go solid defense or you can destroy creatures with the burn method instead of dealing it to the player.

Black: Destroy, fear, regenerate, and like green, has a higher casting cost than other cards. This is a great color as it can end up in stealing life from you opponent and healing damage or stealing life from yourself to deal damage. It's a risky color, but using it alone can be hard. I myself am not a black user as it's hard to use, so I don't know much on it.

To me, the BEST multi-color decks are as followed; (1.) Blue/Black (2.) White/Blue (3.) Red/Blue (4.) Green/Blue (5.) Red/White.

My personal favorite is Blue/Black and Red/White and White/Blue. Most, if not all my decks I've made have a healing ability, and the highest I've gotten my life points before was a 260. The regular is 20. >.>

Also: Artifacts are good to get into also. Some of the abilities such as; Indestructable, and Equip type are awesome. Look up some and find out what you like, then import them into a strategy. They're great and I have NO deck without a few Arti's.

Posted by cool gamer dad

haha. Uh, dude. Which format are you talking? Because R/G has been dominating T2 for quite some time now.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting cats: haha. Uh, dude. Which format are you talking? Because R/G has been dominating T2 for quite some time now.

Eh? Oh, are you referring to my top five multi-color decks? If so, I was stating my personal opinion. My apologies, I didn't clarify. :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Roger Smith: No ****. I never said the colors couldn't be used in a way like that, just that each color has a specific role.

...you do realize that i was directly contradicting you, right? No color has a specific role. There are things that some colors do better than others, but thats far from having a specific role.

Posted by Roger Smith

You don't build a counter deck using black and red now do you? >_>

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Lord of Spam: ...you do realize that i was directly contradicting you, right? No color has a specific role. There are things that some colors do better than others, but thats far from having a specific role.

Blue's role - Counter/Control. White's role - Mostly heal and protect. Black's role - Destroy/takeover/regenerate. Red's role - Burn, and activated ability damage. Green's role - Beefy army.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Roger Smith: You don't build a counter deck using black and red now do you? >_>

HEY LETS TAKE EVERYTHING SUPER LITTERAL LOL ITLL BE AWESOME

The way you're talking about it makes it seem that if you want to play an agressive deck, it has to be a certain color, while control decks have to be certain colors, etc; this is just flat out not true.

" Blue's role - Counter/Control. White's role - Mostly heal and protect. Black's role - Destroy/takeover/regenerate. Red's role - Burn, and activated ability damage. Green's role - Beefy army."

If you retards are keep going to spout crap like this I'm going to start digging up decklists that just **** all over you.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, you can play some pretty heavy control with red. As well as aggro.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Lord of Spam: HEY LETS TAKE EVERYTHING SUPER LITTERAL LOL ITLL BE AWESOME

The way you're talking about it makes it seem that if you want to play an agressive deck, it has to be a certain color, while control decks have to be certain colors, etc; this is just flat out not true.

If you retards are keep going to spout crap like this I'm going to start digging up decklists that just **** all over you.

Your an idiot.

And no, I never implied that or wanted it to seem like I said that. Every color is attuned to a different ability. I never said you can only control with blue. You can do whatever the **** you want with the cards. My original point was that each color has it's own job.

Way to stretch **** out.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Roger Smith: My original point was that each color has it's own job..

Precisely.

Also, LoS. You don't need to look up a deck list that will impress us. We've already seen a few. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'mma gtfo my geek mode. XD

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Roger Smith: Your an idiot.

And no, I never implied that or wanted it to seem like I said that. Every color is attuned to a different ability. I never said you can only control with blue. You can do whatever the **** you want with the cards. My original point was that each color has it's own job.

Way to stretch **** out.

So your point is that each color can do whatever it wants, but has its own job? Wow, you're a ****ing retard.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Lord of Spam: So your point is that each color can do whatever it wants, but has its own job? Wow, you're a ****ing retard.

Haha, oh wow. Hey guys, I'm being insulted by a Wizard of Magic!

WHOOOOO.

And yeah you huge headed fag . Each color has an INTENDED purpose, but that doesn't mean they can't be used the way the player wants.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Lord of Spam: So your point is that each color can do whatever it wants, but has its own job? Wow, you're a ****ing retard.

You failed to see the knowledge in his post. I believe you should think a bit more into retardation. Anyway, the thing about colors having their own 'job' is true. Even the MTG books tell this much. Hell, go to the MTG site, and read. You'll see this line at a certain point: "Though all colors in the Magic the Gathering world can all have the same effect, they also have their own job."

Posted by Roger Smith

Wow, I guess only someone who's head isn't large due to the fact of a tumor would get that point.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Nazo: Blue's role - Counter/Control. White's role - Mostly heal and protect. Black's role - Destroy/takeover/regenerate. Red's role - Burn, and activated ability damage. Green's role - Beefy army.

1)[url=http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=18077]BLUE SMASH FACE wait what?[/url]
2)[url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bd57]Suck my big fat white weenie[/url]
3)[url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/23]take over/regenerate? seems like suiblack is more about smashing face to me[/url]
4)ok, i'll give you that this uses direct damage... but in a f[url=http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071124112510AAImD7B]ucking CONTROL DECK. lol red control? that r unpossible![/url]
5)[url=http://mtgbattle.blogspot.com/2005/10/glare-of-subdual.html] hey lookey here, this green deck uses tokens for noncombat, and has little to no real army. AND its a control deck! EXCUSE ME WTF R U DOIN[/url]

took me about 30 seconds of half assed google searches to find those. none of which fall into what you describe. Your argument is hereby void.

Posted by Nazo

I refuse to click your links, as I'm afraid I'll catch AIDS. I've already explained... Must I quote myself?

I do?

Ah, okay, I will.

Quoting Nazo: "Though all colors in the Magic the Gathering world can all have the same effect, they also have their own job."

Posted by Roger Smith

Once again, you fail to understand the whole point of this moronic one sided argument.

The basis of Magic governs around the colors, what they represent, and the strategies that are used with said colors.

This is a prime example of you overlooking simple points and facts.

The colors can take on any role. Sure you can control with green, BUT NOT WITH THE STRENGTH BLUE OR WHITE CAN.

SO IN FINAL, EVERY COLOR HAS IT'S OWN JOB BUT IT CAN ALSO TAKE ON THE JOBS OF OTHER COLORS. USING THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE IS WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MAGIC PLAYER.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Lord of Spam:
Your argument is hereby void.

I have but one thing to say.

lol.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Huh, I could have sworn that glare of subdual combined with geater good and yosei the morning star won a bunch of ptqs and whatnot. LOL GUESS I WAS WRONG. and i guess that red/artifact deck that relied on quick big dragons (huh, big army sounds pretty green to me) that kai budde used to win the mother fuggin magic world championship in 1999 doesnt mean anything.

Saying that everything has a job but can do everything else's job is completely contradictory. If anything can do anything else's job, then how is it that you can clearly define any color's specified job? If any other color can claim it, then it hardly belongs to one color.

now granted, yeah, there are a FEW mechanics that are really hard to duplicate (counterspell being the only example that springs to mind) but that hardly means that each color has a certain roll. Fact is that creative players will always combine the best cards to do the best thing, regardless of what color they are.

"I refuse to click your links, as I'm afraid I'll catch AIDS."

Lemme translate that... LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU IF I DONT LOOK AT EVIDENCE THAT PROVES ME WRONG I DONT LOSE HAHAHA" For ****s sake, two of the **** links are ****ing wizards.com. You know, wizards? Like, wizards of the coast? The company that makes MtG? OBVIOUSLY that site is nothing but a seething cesspit of adware.

Suck my nuts, both of you.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Lord of Spam: Lemme translate that... LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU IF I DONT LOOK AT EVIDENCE THAT PROVES ME WRONG I DONT LOSE HAHAHA"

...Um... no. It just means I don't want AIDS. >_> Can't you read English? Jesus...

Quoting Lord of Spam: OBVIOUSLY that site is nothing but a seething cesspit of adware.

[url]www.magicthegathering.com[/url]. Click that, then go read up. ^_^

Quoting Lord of Spam: Suck my nuts, both of you.

You're quite a prophan person... I don't get it. I've been calm this whole time, used hardly no cussing, and yet, I get stuff thrown at me...

Now... My fun is over, and I'm done. :) Thanks for the lulz though. ;)

Posted by Lord of Spam

I read magicthegathering.com loyally and consistently for years. Maybe thats why I know that if you go to wizards.com and look over there on the left side, GASP, its a link to magicthegathering.com. And take a peek at the back of your next booster. I will bet you my left testicle that (assuming its a new set) it will have a WotC logo somewhere. GASP, maybe thats cuz WotC owns MtG? As well as DnD, and various other franchises.

Its profane. And yes, I am, thought its largely a joke. Kinda like your argument:cookie: But sorry if my words hurt you. I'm not used to being being hypersensitive vaginas*oscar*

All argument aside... I pretty much only play casually using OCTGN online and will construct a real deck once I find a layout that works perfectly for me. So far I had some fun with a (highly illegal) Sliver deck, but haven't constructed anything else with any amount of decent success.

I'll keep working at it. Currently my color preference leans towards the powerhouse red/green combo, but since my deck building skills rival that of a fetus, that opinion has no substance.

Yes I revived my thread a little late... oh well