Wii's Potential?

Posted by S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Won't let me imbed for some reason. Check it out yourself.

Posted by Degeneration

Awesome. I want to see this idea go places.

Posted by Borealis

I sniff future peripherals.

Posted by Linko_16

Yeah, this was posted on Zelda Power recently. It seems so intuitive to the Wii's capabilities, it's almost surprising that this use was not thought of and implemented by Nintendo during the Wii's development.

Posted by Linko_16

Not as cool, but related:

[YOUTUBE=0awjPUkBXOU]0awjPUkBXOU[/YOUTUBE]

Posted by Roger Smith

in b4 Ninty hires Johnny to be head of R&D.

Posted by Iris

Both videos have great info. If they could find a way to use buttons while tracking your fingers then that would be amazing.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wow, that's pretty cool. I think everyone shifts their body and head to try and see what's off the screen, it's just something you do subconsciously, so it makes sense to have something like this.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm pretty sceptical of it's possible use in games. All it's doing is letting you move the game camera's position very slightly, because you obviously still have to look at the tv. That is to say it's using Wii pointer controls to control movement, but you have a pretty limited range of movement. We already have movement controls in games, except they give us a full range of motion. It's kind of neat but that's about it.

Just another step towards immersion.

Posted by Speedfreak

I suppose. Can't see it selling though. Seems too much of a complicated setup, a remote, control method and headgear.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Speedfreak: I suppose. Can't see it selling though. Seems too much of a complicated setup, a remote, control method and headgear.

People walk around all the time with hats on. And they aren't really doing ****. What's wrong with wearing headgear that will actually help achieve better immersion in a video game?

Posted by Speedfreak

Because it's not really that immersive. It's like looking at the game world through a window, an HMD would be immersive. A lot of people would be repulsed by having to wear something on their head to play a game too. Dunno about there but most people here don't wear hats.

Posted by Roger Smith

Well, we aren't talking big bulky workmen's hats.

considering it's nothing but a prototype, I'm sure Nintendo of all companies could come up with something a bit more sleek. The glasses are only to mount it. There's a ton of other solutions than just a hat and glasses (the latter of which don't seem like you're looking out a window...)

Posted by Linko_16

An idea we came up with on ZeldaPower was headphones, which would be beneficial to those of us wearing glasses already.

Quoted post: which would be beneficial to those of us wearing glasses already.

just mount it on your glasses then. A simple clip would work and you'd be able to take it off and on easily.

Posted by Bebop

Headphones would make sound benefit from head tracking too.Still an awesome video.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: just mount it on your glasses then. A simple clip would work and you'd be able to take it off and on easily.

Yeah, but headphones would be a universal piece of a equipment, rather than saying "Here are glasses, unless you already wear glasses, in which case have some clips."

if I wore glasses I'd rather have it clip on my glasses than wear a headset.

Posted by O.T.L

that **** was cool