Gears of War 2

Posted by Shadow

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar2/index.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25896.html

Gears of War 2 Confirmed!

Posted by Borealis

I knew, but I haven't seen that interview. Mark Rein is much too modest.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Was wondering when they'd confirm it. Probably come out this november. Let's hope it's as bad as the original.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Let's hope it's as bad as the original.
First of all, shut up. Gears is amazing. Even if you think the multiplayer sucks, the campaign on co-op was undeniably great.

Secondly, why would you hope for it to be as bad as the original?

Uh, because I enjoyed it? It wouldn't've been half as fun if it was great.

Posted by Last Fog

wait what?

Posted by Borealis

I'm definitely confused now

I
Had
Fun
Because
It
Was
A
Bad
Game

Posted by Last Fog

Well
You
Must
Have
Bad
Taste

Does it really matter why I enjoy a game? I mean, I still had lots of fun with it and played the **** out of it. I just thought online was horribly designed, and all the little quirks that came up because of it is what made it fun.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's going to need a ton of EAT **** AND DIE to be good. Calling it now.

Posted by Dexter

I thought they confirmed this as a trilogy a long time ago?

Posted by Al Borland

I thought that too. Nevertheless, this is great news. The first one was amazing and the online play was horribly underrated.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Al Borland;799149]online play was horribly underrated.haha, oh wow

Posted by Moogs

Well, I enjoy the game. And will enjoy the 2nd.

Quoted post: haha, oh wow

Yeah, eh? It wasn't, you know, the most played online game for almost a year or nothing, right? hahaha

Posted by Shade

Old news. Trilogy was announced ages ago. November 21, 2006, to be exact.

And yeah, online sucks. Hopefully they improve on it.

Posted by Borealis

Quoting Shade: And yeah, online sucks. Hopefully they improve on it.

Doubtful.

Posted by Al Borland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people on this site and other video game-oriented message boards always cry about how bad and shallow online play was. Mostly all of my friends who own a 360 with a live subscription never got into it either. One of the biggest criticisms of the game was that multiplayer was lacking given that only deathmatch was available with a handful of maps. I tend to disagree and to think that the game's multiplayer has a lot of substance. From this perspective the game's online play is underrated.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Al Borland;799498]Correct me if I'm wrong, but people on this site and other video game-oriented message boards always cry about how bad and shallow online play was.
Yep, you're right about this one.

[quote]From this perspective the game's online play is underrated.By underrated, you mean '****ing awful' - riiiight?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Oh man, still need to play the first one. Maybe the price will finally drop.

Posted by Last Fog

I did Gears multiplayer for a looooong time. I knew it was shallow and the host advantage practically ruined the whole game, but I still prefer it over Rainbow and that was really the only alternative at the time.

Posted by Al Borland

Quoting The X: By underrated, you mean '****ing awful' - riiiight?

I don't, actually, but you proved the point I was trying to push across before your condescending follow up.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Al Borland: Correct me if I'm wrong, but people on this site and other video game-oriented message boards always cry about how bad and shallow online play was. Mostly all of my friends who own a 360 with a live subscription never got into it either. One of the biggest criticisms of the game was that multiplayer was lacking given that only deathmatch was available with a handful of maps. I tend to disagree and to think that the game's multiplayer has a lot of substance. From this perspective the game's online play is underrated.

Let me get this straight. You think it's underrated because most of the people you know don't like it (because it's bad), but you do (even though it's bad)? HAH

Posted by muffla

yea i thought the online was gay but the fags at my school were like ZOMG BESTEST SHOOTAN GAMZ EVAR!!1!1one

Posted by Al Borland

Quoting Shade: Let me get this straight. You think it's underrated because most of the people you know don't like it (because it's bad), but you do (even though it's bad)? HAH

From Dictionary.com,

"un

Posted by Dexter

That's your personal experience. Most people I know and most people they knew know a lot of people who played it a lot and enjoyed it a lot. It was very overrated.

Posted by Shade

[QUOTE=Al Borland;799547]From Dictionary.com,

"un

Because Gears wasn't one of the highest rated games of all time, right? Haha, oh man. Just drop it, dude.

Posted by Al Borland

The multiplayer dog, the multiplayer

Posted by muffla

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gears-of-war/infinite-gears-of-wars-sequels-232762.php
http://kotaku.com/gaming/mark-rein/gears-of-war-not-a-trilogy-217088.php
http://kotaku.com/gaming/gears-of-war/news-of-gears-trilogy-slipped-nobody-surprised-216258.php

old news

Quoted post: The multiplayer dog, the multiplayer

Uh, yeah, that was a big factor. Obviously it wasn't underrated if it was the most played online game for months on end.

Posted by Fate

It supposedly raised XBL usage by 80%. I was one of those that jumped in on that game.

Posted by Shade

You jump on anything that moves. HEY OHHHHHHH

Posted by RadioStatic

4 player campaign!!!!

Posted by Anti-Muffla

i have Gears of War for the pc and it is really awesome! Though, I think it was a bit overrated when it first came out for the 360. Gears of War 2 is going to be awesome, but I have to say I'm more excited about Resistance 2 right now.

Posted by ElroyJetson

gears of war multiplayer is why i bought an xbox, thats not to say halo and COD4 multiplayer isnt eons better, but still...

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

The only reason why I hated the online was because I want to play ranked with friends, sorry. Halo 2 and 3 spoiled me, I like earning ranks with teammates I know and a skill level I trust. Yeh yeh, I know the whole trick in Gears of finding a room and going on the phone or private chat and telling your friends to meet you in this room.. bah took way to long, screw it. And player matches non ranked are lame, I like my achievements thank you very much!! But for the single player, I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for the second one. The graphics in my book are the 360's best out there so far tied with Bio Shock, if Gears not being a tiny bit better. I remember reading somewhere that Bungie doesn't have a trade mark or rights to the technology or whatever you call it for the way matches and players are found for online multilayer matches. I believe it was an article in OXM, basically any gaming company could use Halo 3's matchmaking style but no one chooses to do it. Hmmm.....

Posted by Fate

You can safely assume it's not because they don't want to use it, but because it may be more complex to program. You can tell that a lot of effort was placed into the grading/ranking/matchfinding system for multiplayer in Halo. It's easier and cheaper to make rooms to be found than to do autosearching and level categorizing. And etc.

... it's Epic. It's Gears. A hugely successful company and what was obviously going to be a hugely successful game. It's just lazy on their part. Plus, it doesn't need to be as complex as Halo. Look at CoD. Matchmaking much like Halo, but more basic, though still works fine, you can still rank up with your friends and travel from lobby to lobby no problem.

laaaazy epic

Posted by Fate

But the skill level matching is nonexistent. I'm saying that there's something more complex about it. CoD4 obviously has the funding to support that system that Halo has, but it's difficult to do.

Quoted post: But the skill level matching is nonexistent.

Hence "basic." And personally I prefer the lack of skill level. It's like the best of matchmaking and open lobbies. One of the reasons why I stopped playing Halo was because my levels in all playlists were too high just to have fun. I had to try every time I wanted to play against randoms. No thanks.

Posted by Fate

I guess that's what Social Slayer is for. Ranked matches should be categorized differently. If I were to play CoD4 online, right now, I'd have no idea what the **** to do and I'd get owned viciously. That doesn't display my true skill, just horrible luck finding people on my own skill level.

Quoted post: I guess that's what Social Slayer is for.

Except it does the same thing, just with a hidden true-skill number. You can tell because the first time you play a new playlist you'll get matched up with kids who maybe have 75 wins. Then you'll get to kids with 200, then 300, then 500. It's no different.

As for CoD4, yeah, you'll notice a lot of people go horribly negative. But it's a really easy game to get a hang of once you learn the maps, and that only take a couple hours of getting your *** beat. Really no different than any other game.