Polysics - Karate House

Posted by Vortex

Quoting Arcadios: Albums of the Year
1.Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
2.Jay-Z's American Gangster
3.Kanye West's Graduation
4.50 Cent's Curtis
5.Common's Finding Forever

i not heard the lupe album, hear its great though. dont think its out in the uk yet...

Posted by Poco

i was expecting j-pop and garbage metal and i was right

any way my vote goes for big bear-doin thangs the album

Posted by Xero

Best albums:

1. Venetian Snares- Chocolate Whellchair
2. Venetian Snares- Doll Doll Doll
3. U-ziq- Tango N' Vectif
4. U-ziq- In Pine Effect
5. The Flashbulb- Kirilian Selections
6. Amon Tobin- Supermodified
7. Venetian Snares- Infolepsy EP
8. Infected Mushroom- Vicious Delicious
9. Mystic Forest- Welcome back to the Forest
10. Mika- Life in Cartoon Motion

Best Debut:

Mika- Life in Cartoon Motion

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Best Albums:

1. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

Yeah.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: 1. Venetian Snares- Chocolate Whellchair
2. Venetian Snares- Doll Doll Doll
3. U-ziq- Tango N' Vectif
4. U-ziq- In Pine Effect
5. The Flashbulb- Kirilian Selections
6. Amon Tobin- Supermodified
7. Venetian Snares- Infolepsy EP
8. Infected Mushroom- Vicious Delicious
9. Mystic Forest- Welcome back to the Forest
10. Mika- Life in Cartoon Motion

3/4 of these didn't come out in 2007.

Posted by Xero

Aw I thought it was my personal top 10 of albums I GOT in 2007. =/

No. That wouldn't make sense.

Posted by Richaod

In non-ranked order:
A Fine Frenzy - One Cell in the Sea
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
Tori Amos - American Doll Posse
Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City
Dead Letter Circus - Dead Letter Circus
Machine Head - The Blackening
Kate Miller-Heidke - Little Eve
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Silverchair - Young Modern
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
Turisas - The Varangian Way

Maybes:
Against Me! - New Wave
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
Rufus Wainwright - Release the Stars

Category of its own:
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (good compared to other artists, redundant compared to themselves)

I must be turning indie... I sort of reviewed them [url=http://richaod.livejournal.com/1165.html]here[/url].

I can't believe Kid Rock made it onto list that WASN'T the worst albums of the year.

Oh yeah, best album artwork: Ted Nugent - Love Grenade (Special Edition)

Posted by Omni

Oh, and having seen the translated lyrics for "L

Yeah, definitely interested. Post 'em.

Posted by Omni

Ah, found them. Cool.

Let us take everything from each other
Let us take everything from ourselves
Let the poles take effect and emit cold filth
Steal from me the divine spark
Kick the happy grin out of my disgusting visage
And let the steel be buried in the billowing flesh
Which on this earth wanders in wretched nothingness
With a sterile gaze at life and all within
We wait with devotion for the sacred executioner
He who relentlessly approaches to perform his assigned task
My judgment fell early and without mercy
And the verdict shall even fall upon you who is without faith
Yet more merciless and furious
In this my shadow self finds comfort and sadistic happiness
That we shall all be stroked by the flames' tender love
For eternity, amen
Let him take everything away from you

Ah, very cool. Very Shining. Just what I'd expect.

Posted by Omni

I'd also like to nominate Shining for best live concert experience of 2007 for the Le Romandie show.

Hahaha, seconded.

Posted by Shade

Was that the one with gay BM action on-stage?

Posted by Omni

Yeah, Kvarforth on Maniac action. Talk about hot.

Posted by Shade

Oh *** I lol'd at that. Then I closed window because all entertainment stopped after that.

It kept going.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, the performance was actually not bad. I was surprised how good Maniac sounded and the band played really well.

I was more surprised at how decent Maniac looked. The last time he was with that band he looked, well, embarrassing. Not that he doesn't here, but he's dressed a lot nicer. I think it's the lack of a potbelly, lack of being half-naked and a lack of a swastika that does it.

Posted by hjhjh220

i think the best album in 2007
open the door - Evanescence

Posted by Richaod

Quoting hjhjh220: i think the best album in 2007
open the door - Evanescence

Lol. I don't think it was a bad album, actually - just much less accessible than their first, but everyone else will. And it was released in 2006!

Try some Nightwish... not really that similar, but their appeal does cross over, and they're much better. They're one of the ways I started getting into good music, too.

Posted by G-Sides

i thought you all were talking about the Shining i listened to at first :( does anyone listen to the non-black metal/very avant-jazz Shining?

don't be stupid

Posted by Omni

I know that I don't.

You'd probably like their most recent album anyway, the black metal one.

Posted by Shade

Even I like it.

probably helps that it's just barely black metal in a lot of sections.

Posted by Omni

I love all the acoustic guitars and strings, not to mention the piano. :)

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: probably helps that it's just barely black metal in a lot of sections.

k, how about this: I liked EVERYTHING.

Still barely a black metal album.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Omni: I love all the acoustic guitars and strings, not to mention the piano. :)

I agree - generally I like black metal bands best when they're not playing black metal, e.g. Emperor keyboards, Alcest doing shoegaze, Arcturus being weird etc.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Richaod: Lol. I don't think it was a bad album, actually - just much less accessible than their first, but everyone else will. And it was released in 2006!

Try some Nightwish... not really that similar, but their appeal does cross over, and they're much better. They're one of the ways I started getting into good music, too.

Within Temptation is superior.

Posted by Richaod

Arguably better vocalist, but much more formulaic, less instrumentally oriented songwriting. There's really no one else in metal who can write songs like Tuomas.

I think I'd take Epica over WT too, actually.

Posted by Shade

it's the vocals that do it for me, no other female singer can top her. and i really don't understand why you cream your pants over tuomas' songwriting.

Posted by Richaod

Songs like Ghost Love Score and Higher Than Hope have an emotion, and an unconventional approach to the orchestra that's virtually unmatched in metal.

And songwriting > vocals by far. Case in point: many may consider Anette an inferior singer, but Tarja's album absolutely blows in comparison to Dark Passion Play.

Posted by Shade

annette's actually a better vocalist, imo. i'll give you that ghost love score has awesome orchestration, but other than that, i'm not seeing the fabled unparalleled songwriting of tuomas. sorry.

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

Only 1007 album I have heard was 8 Diagrams by Wu Tang. Not to big on todays music, guess 8 gets my vote, even though it failed.

Posted by Richaod

Emotion, expressiveness and musical variation are all things that Nightwish have that are sorely lacking in metal, especially gothic and power, where the focus is generally on the melodic and vocal components of the music alone. Bands good (like Within Temptation) and bad (HIM) usually just have guitar riffage or chords underneath the main vocals, which essentially makes their music more repetitive, with less variety. If I thought vocals made a band, I would never have gotten used to Tarja's opera style, and continued to think Evanescence was better.

As for emotion, I doubt that Within Temptation could write a song with as much meaning in it as Creek Mary's Blood or Higher Than Hope. They're poignant and reflect their subject matter perfectly... but maybe you don't take notice of that part of the music so much as the melodic aspect. I didn't in the past, but I've now realized that's what makes bands like Nightwish and Dream Theater special, not because they have the biggest orchestras or the best singers.

Posted by Omni

I hate to get involved in this discussion, but Dream Theater doesn't have a really great singer anyway. Even when LaBrie was in his prime, he was a fairly average level vocalist in the style he's known for.

Posted by Richaod

Live at the Marquee is IMO some of the best live singing I've ever heard. I don't worship his studio vocals though, nor do I blame him for getting food poisoning and screwing up his singing for 10 years...

But he sounded great when I saw him live a few months ago. A big part of it is his range - it's just massive, and his high notes are as strong as ever.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Richaod: and his high notes are as strong as ever.

no they're not. listen to images and words, then octavarium or systematic chaos. huuuuuuuuuuge difference.

EDIT: nevermind that, it's not relevant to the point i'm trying to make anyway. bottom line: his songwriting isn't that good, imo. it's pretty average in my eyes. and if you think nightwish has more emotion in their songs than any other metal band, then there's really nothing i can say other than 'listen to more pain of salvation.'

Posted by Omni

Quoting Richaod: Live at the Marquee is IMO some of the best live singing I've ever heard.

You realize that album was doctored in studio, don't you? I actually learned about that from Hyper.

Quoted post: A big part of it is his range - it's just massive

Massive compared to who? Not a lot of the singers I can think of, even just those who use the same style as him.

Posted by Shade

He was better on Live Scenes from New York, anyway.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Omni: I hate to get involved in this discussion, but Dream Theater doesn't have a really great singer anyway. Even when LaBrie was in his prime, he was a fairly average level vocalist in the style he's known for.

DT has more problems then that. They need to find a new songwriter, and pretty much everything else. They're a pretty terrible band is what I'm getting at, it's like:

Dragon Force:Symphonic Metal::Dream Theater:Progressive Metal

Posted by Grave Wisdom

James LaBrie is just a third rate Geddy Lee...

Posted by Shade

Quoting Poco: DT has more problems then that. They need to find a new songwriter, and pretty much everything else. They're a pretty terrible band is what I'm getting at, it's like:

Dragon Force:Symphonic Metal::Dream Theater:Progressive Metal

Okay, I let the negative comments that are true go. But that's just ****ing bull.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

At least DT doesn't rely as much on studio trickery as DF does.

Outside of James, I think the rest of the band are pretty straight shooters when it comes to deceiving people or not.

Well, I don't like James singing to begin with...lol

Posted by Poco

Quoting Grave Wisdom: At least DT doesn't rely as much on studio trickery as DF does.

Outside of James, I think the rest of the band are pretty straight shooters when it comes to deceiving people or not.

Well, I don't like James singing to begin with...lol

they don't need trickery. They are talented yeah. However, they are also pretentious, boring, and play like robots. Listen to Can if you like good Prog Metal.

Dream theater is like Dragon Force in that they are both the bottom of their respective genres of metal, which is the bottom of music.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

For Prog Rock or Metal, I can name off a lot of bands I like over DT: Nightingale, Rush, Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend...you get the idea

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shade: no they're not. listen to images and words, then octavarium or systematic chaos. huuuuuuuuuuge difference.
Live.
He tends to sing lower these days, for sure. But he can still hit the notes. About their current songwriting, I have to say I loved Octavarium - they exercised restraint and focused more on the songwriting. I don't care for Systematic Chaos.
DT wasn't really the point though - just citing them as an example.

[quote]EDIT: nevermind that, it's not relevant to the point i'm trying to make anyway. bottom line: his songwriting isn't that good, imo. it's pretty average in my eyes. and if you think nightwish has more emotion in their songs than any other metal band, then there's really nothing i can say other than 'listen to more pain of salvation.'

I wasn't comparing them to Pain of Salvation. To most other metal bands, yes, they have more emotion.

Posted by Omni

Shining has so much emotion that Kvarforth cuts himself to let it some of it out.

Seriously, I think that bands in the same style as Shining are some of the most emotional music.

emotion = in gowan ring

Posted by Omni

While I agree with you, In Gowan Ring isn't a metal band, which is what we were talking about. :(

DT isn't metal so I got confused.

Posted by Shade

wut

Quoting Omni: Shining has so much emotion that Kvarforth cuts himself to let it some of it out.

I feel kinda bad for loling at this, but not really.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Hey Shade, you seriously should post more :)

Even if we disagree on DT, you are a good guy.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shade: I feel kinda bad for loling at this, but not really.

The statement is pretty accurate, though delivered in a funny way. I bet even Kvarforth would find it funny, and then he'd cut himself to get rid of the pain.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Lucida Sans] [COLOR=Blue]Kvarforth is like Emo, but grimmer and with genuine emotion instead of the pre-fabricated variety. [/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Shade

Quoting Omni: The statement is pretty accurate, though delivered in a funny way. I bet even Kvarforth would find it funny, and then he'd cut himself to get rid of the pain.

The pain of humour? What?

Posted by Omni

Kvarforth would be laughing on the outside, but suicidal about it on the inside.

Posted by Shade

grim to the extreme

Posted by Poco

metal is a terrible, boring genre. there, i said it.

Album of the Year? Easy, Mistah F.A.B.'s hit single "Ghostride It"

Posted by anita

The best album of the year are:
M.I.A.:MIA topped the list at No. 1.Great album, great artist!
M.I.A. remains a criminal-minded art freak with a true rock & roller's love of flash and sensation and irresponsible ****-talking
Bruce Springsteen:I think is great that the Bruce and the E Street band are releasing a new CD. I only wish that they would stop off in Portland Oregon to play.

Posted by Shevanel

10. Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
9. Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty
8. Deathspell Omega - Fas
7. Thrice - The Alchemy Index Parts I & II
6. The Ocean - Precambrian
5. Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
4. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
3. Boris with Merzbow - Rock Dream
2. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
1. Between The Buried And Me - Colors

I didn't hear at least three of these until sometime this year so I'm somewhat late in deciding.

Quoted post: 9. Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty

I don't know why people hate this band, because I gotta say they're pretty good and that album was really enjoyable.

Posted by Omni

They were one of the bands who I listened to that made me interested in checking out black metal and other metal genres. I still haven't heard more than a few songs.

Posted by Shade

I remember listening to Between **** and **** We Are Born and really enjoying the chorus. Should probably've checked out more of their material.

Yeah, they really shine during their choruses. The clean vocals are some of my favourite in black metal. And their last two albums highlight them the best.

Posted by Shevanel

Do Not Speak contains the best BM chorus of all time

Posted by Omni

99% of black metal doesn't have choruses, so that doesn't say a lot. It's still really awesome.