Just ****ing great

Posted by TimeSkipz

So I buy a 128 mb stick of RAM and I put it in, you see my main computer uses ddr sticks but I inserted an ddr2 stick. So I go to boot it up and monitor doesn't come up. I obviously fried something because an awful smell filled the room moments after.

What did I fry?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: you see my main computer uses ddr sticks but I inserted an ddr2 stick.

Uh... yeah. DDR1 sticks will not physically fit in DDR2 slots and vice versa. There are exceptions, but you likely don't have such a mobo. You ****ed up. Next time read what type of ram your mobo takes.

Posted by muffla

wow youre really dumb even i kno that

Posted by MottaTheHutt

It's a government conspiracy. George Bush made a plan to fry your monitor, because he's smart enough to pull something like that off.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;796565]Uh... yeah. DDR1 sticks will not physically fit in DDR2 slots and vice versa. There are exceptions, but you likely don't have such a mobo. You ****ed up. Next time read what type of ram your mobo takes.

Hey first time trying it. This doesn't answer my question, what did I fry.

Look on your motherboard for signs of burning or scorching. It could either be the ram slot or somewhere else on your mobo.

Posted by TimeSkipz

So what would be easier, buying a new or repairing my mobo or buying a different mid end computer and working on it?

I'd take it into a shop and see what they can do for the time being. If it's a fried ram slot, they can probably fix it. If not, well, the visit shouldn't cost too much and you can't use the computer anyways, so no loss there.

Posted by muffla

you dont need a computer nobody here likes you anyways

Posted by Philsdad

They actually still make 128MB sticks of RAM? What a waste!