10 Best Post-2000 Black Metal Albums

Posted by Omni

I'm going to post this as a journal on Last.fm once I finish the list. I want the most unique original albums I can find. I've got five so far.

Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Shining - V - Halmstad (Niklas ang

Posted by Shade

Needs more Agalloch.

Posted by Omni

I'd put Agalloch in there if any single album by them was even close to being just black metal.

Posted by Gollum

Leviathan/Wolves in the Throne Room?

Posted by Shin-Ra

1.) Crushing the Holy Trinity split
2.) Urfaust/Circle of Ouroborus split
3.) Nyktalgia
4.) Elysian Blaze - Levitating the Carnal
5.) It's a battle between Enslaved's Isa, any Forgotten Tomb, Darkspace, Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket's newer stuff, Wolves in the Throne Room's second effort, VC, etc. I dunno.

Posted by Omni

Only talking about albums. No splits or EPs.

How about the ones I said and Two Hunters, Nyktalgia, Dark Space II, Genevieve and Levitating the Carnal? And I didn't say anything about what order they go in.

Posted by Slade

Sounds pretty to me so far, and those ones you want to add are good choices.

Posted by Shin-Ra

You can say splits don't count, but the two that I mentioned simply ARE the best black metal releases post-2000. All bands participating contributed an equal level of quality music. They should count, but it's your list. I agree with the specific albums you picked, also.

And since splits don't count, Mgla - Mdlosci / Further Down the Nest is a must. I much prefer the "Power and Will" songs, but these will do.

Posted by Omni

I do agree Mgla is one of the best current bands, but that's an EP. Is it that hard to explain that I'm trying to make a list of full-length albums?

Posted by Slade

I think I understand what Shin-Ra's saying. It seems wrong to have a "best of" list but not include some of the best releases because of a technicality. What's the benefit of only including full-length albums?

Posted by Omni

A compilation of three split CDs such as Crushing the Holy Trinity has more material than any album ever could, so it's not a fair entry. Not to mention that it's a compilation of split EPs. Splits and EPs aren't albums and aren't included in most best albums lists because they're not full-length releases. If Mgla had an album out, I'd probably have named it in my first post because I like everything they've done so far a whole lot. I know they're apparently releasing one next year.

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: Splits and EPs aren't albums and aren't included in most best albums lists because they're not full-length releases.

Yeah, I've got this part down.

Quoted post: A compilation of three split CDs such as Crushing the Holy Trinity has more material than any album ever could, so it's not a fair entry.

Okay, so it's not done because it'd be unfair. That makes sense. I think I just don't get the point of a best albums list, period. A 'best release' list would make more sense to me, because then it wouldn't be like "those are the best full length albums, but there might be some splits or EPs that are better."

But I'm not complaining, because this list is still pretty awesome. it's just not super saiyan level 6 awesome

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Dark Space II,

DS1 is better, imo

oh, and Andacht by Lunar

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I agree that Dark Space I is better. I meant to type that. The second one is more ambient and it excites me less. Andacht should probably be in there somewhere.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I like Darkspace II more because I'm boring and like boring music. :(

It's not that it's boring, I just like the atmosphere better in DS1. Seemed more focused to me. I mean, DS2 is fantastic, just not quite as well written, in my opinion.

Posted by Omni

Gar, it makes sense, since you also like Paysage d'Hiver so much, and that's definitely ambient music most of the time.

Posted by Omni

Oh, and I'm partial to Om by Negură Bunget now that I think about it.

It's good, but I wouldn't put it in even my top twenty.

Posted by Empty_Void

What about De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Det Som Engang Var and Blood Fire and Death?

But I agree with the list you have there, V:/Halmstad is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Posted by Omni

This is a list of albums from the year 2000 and later, so none of those really fit in here.

Here's a list of probably my overall favorites from any year:

Peste Noire - La Sanie des si

Posted by Empty_Void

You had Bathory - Blood Fire Death written there, wouldnt it fit in?

Posted by Omni

The list I just posted is overall favorites.

Everyone knows Nordland I is their best.

Posted by Empty_Void

Havent got that one yet, ill go get it from g2p now.

Posted by Iron Octopus

SunnO)))'s "Black1" is the best black metal album post-2000.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Iron Octopus: SunnO)))'s "Black1" is the best black metal album post-2000.

Since when are Sunn O))) black metal?

Posted by Omni

They aren't. Black One has a lot of black metal influences, but is definitely a drone doom/dark ambient album. It's still really good.

Posted by Iron Octopus

What doesn't make "Black1" black metal, exactly? Speed it up to 750 BPM and play it next to Burzum. That's why it was called "Black1". The vocals were done in the style of black metal, even with Malefic recording vocals from inside a coffin. Come on man, "Bathory Erzebet"? That is a black metal song, just with the bassline replaced with sludgy guitar tracks.

Posted by Omni

First of all, it's called Black One, not Black1. White1 and White2 are part of a series, and the name of Black One is a parody of those album titles that references the black metal influence on the album.

It doesn't matter how fast you speed it up, it will never sound like a black metal album because there's absolutely no percussion and most of the duration of the album is made up of monotonous ambient drones with very little variation or anything that could be called riffing. Unfortunately, hiring session black metal vocalists to be on your album doesn't make you a black metal band, or else Jarboe and Current 93 are black metal artists, too. My advice is to learn what drone doom is, because that's what genre of music the album falls under.

It's not a black metal album, though it has black metal influences, like I stated earlier. It's a tribute to black metal bands, kind of line how Sunn's first album has a tribute song to Melvins without playing their style of music, and their second album has a tribute song to Metallica.

lol drone is black metal now