Gamasutra's Best of 2007: Top 5 Most Affecting Characters

Posted by Big Boss

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16569

From Kratos' never ending quest of absolution, to Andrew Ryan's dangerously idealistic views come-to-life and Portal's hilarious AI, those were their 5 most affecting characters of '07.

Oh, and beware major a BioShock spoiler if you haven't played it already (Seriously, you haven't played it? ... )

Posted by Arcadios

Never played any of these games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://www.bangstudio.it/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/man-of-the-year-2006-time.jpg[/IMG]

Unoriginal copout is unoriginal. But hey, not a bad list apart from that. Sander Cohen should have been in there too, even with Andrew Ryan already making an appearance. I had a fascination with the Fort Frolic stage of BioShock.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Arcadios: Never played any of these games.

You are wrong in life.

Go play Portal and BioShock, at least. Please.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Besides Portal and BioShock, what a ****ty list. And Andrew Ryan should've been above Glados.

Posted by Bebop

Bioshock was bioshockingly dull. Overrated. About as fun as church.

And yeh that list is crap. But it's always nice when you're reminded of Portal. Jolly good fun.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Big Boss: You are wrong in life.

Go play Portal and BioShock, at least. Please.

Sorry, xbox dosen't interest me as much as it should for some reason.

Both games are on the PC.

Posted by muffla

i dno i really wanna play bioshock but the lack of online scares me. whats there to do after the single player?

Nothing. Why not, you know, rent it?

Posted by Ant

People seem to care way too much about multiplayer nowadays. Video games are all about being alone, sad, in your room playing a video game to forget your problems.

you need something to justify 60 bucks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I like single player more so than multiplayer most of the time. Unless it's seriously epic stuff like Smash Brothers or COD4.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant: People seem to care way too much about multiplayer nowadays. Video games are all about being alone, sad, in your room playing a video game to forget your problems.

Yeh games have always been like. There's always been about lack of multiplayer. Just look it's history: Pong, Mario Bros arcade, Street Fighter, Mario Kart.

Quoted post: I like single player more so than multiplayer most of the time. Unless it's seriously epic stuff like Smash Brothers or COD4.

most games worth buying have pretty great multiplayer.

Posted by Shade

So all great games are shootan, fighting, racing, and sports. k

this is north america

Posted by Zeta

EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA ONLY CARE FOR SHOOTAN.
JAPAN IS ALL ABOUT BRAIN TRAINING AND WII FIT AND ****.

THE INDUSTRY IS DEAD.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Industry is only good if it enjoys lengthy and inaccessible JRPGs, amirite?

Posted by Zeta

No. Less jrpgs, more platformin'.

And less focus on story and graphics.

Posted by Arcadios

Yes, please.
Actually, no.
I need a good JRPG for Wii.
I mean....even any RPG for Wii is fine. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

...well that was a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it list.

EDIT: I mean Christ, that was bad. 5 people. One of them is you. One of them is the dick you see for 3 minutes in BioShock. GLaDOS was funny, but second most affecting character of the year? F[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck off.

If anything it proves that this year was pretty wank for game characters.

[quote=Arcadios;794492]Yes, please.
Actually, no.
I need a good JRPG for Wii.
I mean....even any RPG for Wii is fine. :(

RPGs take ages to develop, the system's only been out a year. You have Fire Emblem, the two Crystal Chronicles games, Baroque, Fragile and Golden Sun coming up.

Quoted post: No. Less jrpgs, more platformin'.

If only developers other than Nintendo knew how to make platformers.

Quoted post: One of them is the dick you see for 3 minutes in BioShock.

Yet who talks to you near constantly throughout 80% of the game? And who happens to have some of the best dialogue and voice acting of any other game? yeah.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Speedfreak;794576]...well that was a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it list.

EDIT: I mean Christ, that was bad. 5 people. One of them is you. One of them is the dick you see for 3 minutes in BioShock. GLaDOS was funny, but second most affecting character of the year? F[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck off.

If anything it proves that this year was pretty wank for game characters.
The only problem with that list was that it was rather short. But, come on, think of the character development throughout games. GLaDoS starts out to be little more than a normal AI with a few minor malfunctions, then later turns into my mother (tells a lie, admits it, says she won't lie anymore, then lies again) then goes outright berserk, and does it with hilarity. That argument with BioShock doesn't fly, because you never actually see GLaDos until the end of the game, and that fight lasts for less than three minutes.

"You" is an excellent character. Adding your personality to your MMO or other multi-player game made it feel more personalized. You get to see a bit of everybody's personality in their WoW armor, and you get to see their [url=http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070831.jpg]testicles[/url] with Xbox 360's camera, and so forth. I love it, and I support this list with a firmly lifted 2/3 of a pinky finger.:)

Probably is "you" as a character largely sucks because gamers in general suck.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak:

RPGs take ages to develop, the system's only been out a year. You have Fire Emblem, the two Crystal Chronicles games, Baroque, Fragile and Golden Sun coming up.

GOLDEN SUN!? ORIGINAL OR REMAKE, LINK PLEASE.

****it, I might have to buy a Wii now.

Yeah, I haven't heard of a new Golden Sun game.

Posted by Shade

Quick google search revealed nothing. Way to get my hopes up, Speedy.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;795116]Yet who talks to you near constantly throughout 80% of the game? And who happens to have some of the best dialogue and voice acting of any other game? yeah.

Not that Andrew Ryan was a bad character, I just thought he was a particularly odd choice. I found the character you played in Bioshock was much more interesting then the generic "I RULE THIS CITY" guy. Mr would-you-kindly also would've been a better choice.

I thought the storyline was overrated anyway, the choice between saving or killing the little sisters and the results of each was ridiculously shallow. I was more into the whole First person surival adventure horror gameplay.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;795274]Yeah, I haven't heard of a new Golden Sun game.

[quote=Shade;795305]Quick google search revealed nothing. Way to get my hopes up, Speedy.

I'll admit it's just rumour for now, but there's been a lot of buzz recently. A few months back Camelot say they want to make Golden Sun 3, and if they do it will be on the Wii, and that Nintendo have been asking for it. A few months later a rumour springs up about it being an action-RPG. Recently Matt Cassimassqdsaca said it's definately going to happen, it's just a matter of when. That was pretty much always the case so at the very least we can expect one at some point.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;795329]Not that Andrew Ryan was a bad character, I just thought he was a particularly odd choice. I found the character you played in Bioshock was much more interesting then the generic "I RULE THIS CITY" guy.
Really? Your character in BioShock is really nothing more than a tool of Fontaine's in his plan to overthrow Rapture. No name, no dialogue... As far as characters go, he's a Gordon Freeman - just an empty shell for the player to project themselves onto.

Andrew Ryan, on the other hand, develops from a menacing overlord to a misguided idealist. The fact that I genuinely didn't want to lodge the golf club in his skull, despite everything he'd put me through, was a testament to the character's influence. He definitely deserves his spot on the list of 'affecting' characters.

[youtube=qbI7gxxbYpo]qbI7gxxbYpo[/youtube]

Watching the above video (a compiliation of all Ryan's important speeches), I really can't understand why you'd find more interest in a blank slate such as BioShock's player-character than a pure ideologist who decides to build an underwater city and genetically enhance its inhabitants.

SOMETHING I LEARNED TODAY: A. Ryan = aryan . dun dunn dunnn.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;795338]Really? Your character in BioShock is really nothing more than a tool of Fontaine's in his plan to overthrow Rapture. No name, no dialogue... As far as characters go, he's a Gordon Freeman - just an empty shell for the player to project themselves onto.

I liked how they explained how they were getting me to do all the running around with my character being programmed. When I saw the "would you kindly" bit near the end I was amazed at how I didn't notice the guy saying it the whole way through.

[quote=The X;795338]Andrew Ryan, on the other hand, develops from a menacing overlord to a misguided idealist. The fact that I genuinely didn't want to lodge the golf club in his skull, despite everything he'd put me through, was a testament to the character's influence. He definitely deserves his spot on the list of 'affecting' characters.

Maybe it's because the game mentioned so many names that I failed to form any idea of who the hell Andrew Ryan was. For a lot of the game I was genuinely confused about who was who.

I don't get why you didn't want to smash his cranium in, though. I certainly did. I mean, most of everything was his fault, he was one of the several bad guys, and he was openly inviting you to take a golf club to his head. The total game-ruining part for me was when I tried to do it it didn't f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking work. It's like the whole **** game was about your choices, but when it got to that part they decided to put in a nice little reminder that you are, in fact, playing a videogame. You aren't a character inside the game but rather are seeing the story through that persons eyes. You couldn't club him because your character, not you, was brainwashed. It was a totally crap clich

Quoted post: Not that Andrew Ryan was a bad character, I just thought he was a particularly odd choice. I found the character you played in Bioshock was much more interesting then the generic "I RULE THIS CITY" guy. Mr would-you-kindly also would've been a better choice.

This part almost makes me believe you didn't even play the game. The X has it dead on. Your character is quite literally nothing. And though Fontaine was a good character, he was no match to Ryan's dialogue and impact.

Definitely one of the weirder posts I've read I think.

Quoted post:
I liked how they explained how they were getting me to do all the running around with my character being programmed. When I saw the "would you kindly" bit near the end I was amazed at how I didn't notice the guy saying it the whole way through.

So, how does that make the main guy a good character? better than Ryan? I don't understand.

Quoted post:
Maybe it's because the game mentioned so many names that I failed to form any idea of who the hell Andrew Ryan was. For a lot of the game I was genuinely confused about who was who.

I don't get why you didn't want to smash his cranium in, though.

I don't think you were paying attention. You didn't want to smash his skull in because he ends up being the good guy. Atlas was the enemy all along. He wanted you to smash his skull in to just show you how ****ed up you really are, how you're being used, and obviously he didn't exactly want to live anymore in his underwater nightmare.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't think it was a case of not paying attention because I was interested in the story. Trying not to sound like an imbecile I think I found certain parts quite confusing, which lead to me not really getting a good grasp of what the guy was about. The only other person I've spoken to about the game thought the same thing so I figured it was just told a little weird and I didn't miss much. Apparantly I did!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I had no problems understanding it, but I can see where you're coming from. A lot of exposition came from the audio diaries, which I usually had to listen to while shootan and zappan.

Ah. I believe when you meet Ryan he pretty much explains everything. Jack is Ryan's son, gets programmed and sent to the surface during the war, then brought down by Fontaine when a stalemate is reached. He was the tool to kill Ryan and nothing more, but Ryan orders you to kill him as a way to die on his own terms since he knew he was dead either way.

Quoted post:
A lot of exposition came from the audio diaries, which I usually had to listen to while shootan and zappan.

Yeah, that's basically what you had to do to fully grasp the story, and I made sure to thoroughly search an area before I left, so I ended up only missing two in the end. Plus, I'd pause the game to listen. I don't think you fully understand you're the son of Ryan unless you find the diaries, nor the fact that children were being programmed, now that I think of it.

Posted by Zeta

ARE YA READY KIDS?
I CAN'T HEEEEEAR YOOOOOOU
OOOOOOOOOH
WHO LIVES IN A SKYSCRAPER UNDER THE SEA
AN-DREW RY-AN
ECCENTRIC, AMBITIOUS, AND MOUSTACHED IS HE
AN-DREW RY-AN
IF OBJECTIVIST NONSENSE BE SOMETHIN YA FEAR
AN-DREW RY-AN
THEN COME DOWN TO RAPTURE IN A BATHYSPHERE
AN-DREW RY-AN
AN-DREW RY-AN
AN-DREW RY-AN
AN-DREEEEEEEEEEW
RY-AAAAAAAAAAAAN

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;795462]I had no problems understanding it, but I can see where you're coming from. A lot of exposition came from the audio diaries, which I usually had to listen to while shootan and zappan.

Oh my *** I just remembered how poorly implemented that was. Why couldn't the game pause when you picked one of those up? I couldn't concentrate at all when I picked one up whilst fighting.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;795480]Why couldn't the game pause when you picked one of those up? ... It can, if you want it to.

Quoted post: Oh my *** I just remembered how poorly implemented that was. Why couldn't the game pause when you picked one of those up? I couldn't concentrate at all when I picked one up whilst fighting.

Press select. And it doesn't force you to because some people don't care to sit there and wait for those exceptionally long audio diaries to finish. Plus, there's a lot of down-time when there's not much noise happening in the background so you can focus no problem.

Posted by Speedfreak

I played on PC, wasn't really aware of the option. Still, it's not like Metroid Prime put Chozo lore in a room filled with Space Pirates is it?

Posted by Zeta

That's what Pirate Logs were for!

Quoted post: I played on PC, wasn't really aware of the option. Still, it's not like Metroid Prime put Chozo lore in a room filled with Space Pirates is it?

Keep in mind, audio diaries only activated when you held A (whatever on the pc.) They saved in your inventory so you could listen to them later at a better, more quite time. It was implemented quite well since it gave you many options, so everyone was happy.