Big games of 2008

Posted by Speedfreak

I've pretty much forgotton what the hell's supposed to come out next year. After seeing it on another forum I thought maybe we might do well to keep a list of major upcoming games for all platforms for reference. I'll just edit this post and add any suggestions to the list. It does't have to be "AAA" titles (whatever that means), just anything that could conceivably be good.

Wii

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Europe) (Tactical RPG)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Fighting)

Super Mario Kart Wii (Racing)

No More Heroes (Action)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Action RPG)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and Promised Land (RPG)

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Labrynth of Lost Time (Action RPG)

Castle of Shikigami 3 (2D Shoot em up)

Tales of Symphonia 2 (Action RPG)

Winning Eleven Wii (Football/Soccer)

Wii Fit (Self help fitness)

Disaster: Day of Crisis (Survival-Action)

Okami (Action-adventure)

Animal Crossing (Life Sim)

DS

Fire Emblem DS (Tactical RPG)

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (Action)

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Sealed Grimoire (Turn-based/Tactics)

Final Fantasy IV DS (RPG)

Tales of Innocence (RPG)

Dragon Quest IX (RPG)

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Adventure)

Xbox 360

Grand Theft Auto IV (Action/Adventure)

Resident Evil 5 (Action/Survival Horror)

Too Human (Action RPG)

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Shootan)

Lost Oddysey (RPG)

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Action)

Fable 2 (Action RPG)

Halo Wars (Strategy)

Banjo-Kazooie 3 (Platformer, Action-Adventure)

Battlefield: Bad Company (Shootan)

Fallout 3 (Action RPG)

Silent Hill V (Survival Horror)

Soulcalibur IV (Fighter)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Action/Stealth)

PS3

Soulcalibur IV (Fighter)

Silent Hill V (Survival Horror)

Fallout 3 (Action RPG)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Action/Stealth)

Grand Theft Auto 4 (Action/Adventure)

Resident Evil 5 (Action/Survival Horror)

Gran Turismo 5 (Racing)

Killzone 2 (Shootan)

LittleBigPlanet (Platformer/Sandbox)

PC

Spore (Sandbox)

Far Cry 2 (Shootan)

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Shootan)

Fallout 3 (Action RPG)

Left 4 Dead (Shootan)

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (MMO)

PSP

*** of War: Chains of Olympus

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Secret Agent Clank

Gran Turismo 4 Mobile

Wipeout Pulse (US)

Multiplatform

Lego Bat Man (Action)

Lego Indiana Jones (Action)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Lost Oddyssey, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Too Human, Turok, Far Cry 2, Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones all look pretty good.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sorry, I put a rule in the fine print that no Lego games are going on the list. Ever.

Edit: I KID. What platform are they?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Lego Star Wars is awesome, dude.

Both games have a TBA with regards to platforms.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

probably all the major platforms. Definitely the wii, definitely the xbawks. Either way, I like the idea. Like you, I've pretty much forgotten what's coming out besides Vegas 2 and Smash.

Posted by Speedfreak

A few days ago I spent about half an hour trying to think of games other than Smash and failed miserably. It's always nice to use as a purchase planning guide too.

EDIT: Please don't tell me those two are the only DS ga- Ninja Gaiden!

Posted by S

2008 has video games? And here I thought Smash Bros would be the end-all game, forever.

Seriously though, I have no planned purchases past brawl. Not many games look all that interesting.

Posted by Speedfreak

We're in the dead zone between Christmas (where everything comes out) and the game expos (where everything's announced...for Christmas).

Posted by Arcadios

Spore on Wii.

Posted by Iris

There's like, 5 Tales of games coming out, right? I'm sure at least one's set for 2008 in America.

Posted by Zeta

On the Square-Enix front the only good-looking games are Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy IV DS, and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Labrynth of Lost Time.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Speedfreak: I've pretty much forgotton what the hell's supposed to come out next year. After seeing it on another forum I thought maybe we might do well to keep a list of major upcoming games for all platforms for reference. I'll just edit this post and add any suggestions to the list. It does't have to be "AAA" titles (whatever that means), just anything that could conceivably be good.

Wii

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Europe)

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Super Mario Kart Wii

No More Heroes

Trauma Center New Blood (Europe)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

DS

Fire Emblem 1 Remake

Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Xbox 360

Grand Theft Auto IV

Resident Evil 5

Too Human

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Lost Oddysey

PS3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Gran Turismo 5

Killzone 2

Little Big PLanet

PC

Spore

Far Cry 2

Multiplatform

Lego Bat Man
Lego Indiana Jones

R6V2 is PC and 360, isn't it?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Moogs;793729]R6V2 is PC and 360, isn't it?

Unless people specify I'm just guessing!

[quote=Arcadios;793428]Spore on Wii.

As far as I know it's coming to all platforms, but the only decent one will be the PC and Xbox versions. I figure the cheap knock-offs don't belong on the list.

Posted by Degeneration

Grand Theft Auto IV = PS3, 360
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 = PS3, PC, 360 (Wii unconfirmed)
Resident Evil 5 = PS3, 360 (Japan = TBA 2008, elsewhere = TBA 2009)

Posted by Speedfreak

I already have those.

Posted by Degeneration

Just listing the platforms for you. The PS3 needs love, too.

Add Burnout Paradise on there.

Posted by muffla

ninja gaiden 2

Posted by Zeta

Oh yeah, that Chocobo one is Wii btw. :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;793839]Add Burnout Paradise on there.

Anyone actually play the demo yet? The fact that you can't restart events and have to drive back to the traffic lights to do it again seems to catch a lot of shit from people.

Played it, enjoyed it thoroughly. I was the kinda guy that walked from city to city in Oblivion though, so whatever.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, you're pretty much not meant to do the same event twice. You usually have to complete a certain amount of events, doesn't matter which. Can't really see why you'd want to play one again.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;793862]Anyone actually play the demo yet?
Found it to be pretty awesome. Only beef with it was that the crashes weren't as extravagant as they've been in the past.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Iris: There's like, 5 Tales of games coming out, right? I'm sure at least one's set for 2008 in America.

Tales of Innocence for DS is supposed to hit NA in 2008, I think.

Quoted post: Yeah, you're pretty much not meant to do the same event twice. You usually have to complete a certain amount of events, doesn't matter which. Can't really see why you'd want to play one again.

For completion's sake? idk, I'll likely do an event, if I fail it I'll go on to the next event and by the time I work my way around to the failed event I can redo it. It's an easy way of making those events less frustrating and tiresome. Some of the past games made you redo the same event over and over again until you could perfect it. You couldn't advance any further until you beat it. That's annoying. This eliminates it. Can't beat it? Move on. Advance. Come back later when you're capable of completing it.

Quoted post: Only beef with it was that the crashes weren't as extravagant as they've been in the past.

Seems like they're more based in reality.

Posted by Speedfreak

I updated the list with their genres, I'm not sure of some of them so corrections are welcome.

I only fixed the 360 ones cause I'm an xbot.

Posted by Speedfreak

That's cool. Need some help updating the PS360 parts because I don't follow them as closely, I'm mostly adding stuff to the DS/Wii parts.

Posted by Pit

Devil May Cry 4 and Turok?

Posted by Shade

Fable 2.

All right, fixed up the list a bit.

Posted by WillisGreeny

SimCity Societies could be a canidate. Supposedly, Societies is going to expand the sandbox city building genre from being objective oriented, to also self-values oriented, allowing a player to personalize their City much more than earlier SimCitys. I'm still skeptical of the new game play, since Societies pushes from quite a different direction SimCity 3000 and 4 were heading. I actually liked how complicated it was becoming. Looking at SimCity 4, traffic problems were half the fun.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Halo Warz? lol

Posted by Arcadios

Animal Crossing for Wii?

Posted by Shadow

How about Unreal Tournament 3 for XBOX 360?

For 360: Banjo-Kazooie 3, Battlefield: Bad Company, Fallout 3, and I heard Huxley is good too; Lego Batman. Silent Hill V, Soulcalibur IV, Tom Clancy's EndWar, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, Top Spin 3

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Shadow;798805]How about Unreal Tournament 3 for XBOX 360? Banjo-Kazooie 3, Fallout 3
Holy ****! How could I forget these three? Fallout 3 is going to kick so much ***. Oblivion with shootan? Excellent.

[quote]Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Delayed until 2009.

Posted by Shadow

"The game was originally going to be released globally on November 16, 2007,[4] but on July 24, 2007, Ubisoft announced a delay to their fourth fiscal quarter (January to March 2008).[5] On November 20, 2007, Ubisoft announced another delay to next year's fiscal quarter (which begins April 1, 2008)."

Source: WIki

Check out the video:
http://splintercell.us.ubi.com/conviction/video/video.php

Posted by Last Fog

Nobody cares about another Splinter Cell.

But omg, Banjo Kazooie! Totally forgot about that. I can't find any new info released in the last year about it.

Posted by Degeneration

Zero PSP games? Harsh. I'll add a few:

God of War: Chains of Olympus
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Secret Agent Clank
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile
Wipeout Pulse (US)

That's really all I can think of.

Posted by Shadow

Are you serious, a *** of War in PSP, I wonder how that will turn out, most likely, *** of War is the only reason I would buy the PS3, psp, I played *** of War on Ps2 and it was awesome, 10/10, I wish it was on X360. Is this the first game for *** of War on PSP?

Posted by Degeneration

Yes, it's the first. Info [url=http://psp.ign.com/objects/886/886122.html]here.[/url]

Looks pretty hardcore for a handheld game.

Quoted post: Nobody cares about another Splinter Cell.

I do.

And UT3 looks like garbage. It kinda sucks on the PC and that's with mods, so I can't imagine how crap it'll be on the 360.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Last Fog;798856]Nobody cares about another Splinter Cell.
I do, too.

It's made by Ubi Montreal, and looks to be amalgam of all the good things of Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed. Plenty to be excited for.

Posted by maian

but metal gear solid 4 will be better

Posted by Speedfreak

Splinter Cell will be better because it has multiplayer and playing hide and seek with predictable AI is the most pointless experience ever conceived!

idk, I always found the single-player to be a lot of fun.

Posted by Speedfreak

Eh, I think there's a kind of unresolvable conflict of interest in the gameplay of that genre. It's either too easy and therefore removes all the tension and fun from hiding, or it's just unfair. Playing with humans fixes it totally, though.

There really hasn't been any good stealth online games, so I don't know what you're talking about. Chaos Theory was great in... theory, but it was ruined real quick. Double Agent was great, again in theory, but super limited and died off real quick because of it. Then there was Metal Gear Online that was okay, but had a ton of weird problems including terrible controls.

So, you'd think it's better, but it isn't. And for how few stealth games there are, most of them are pretty great and well balanced. I've always had fun with Splinter Cell games (minus Pandora Tomorrow) and Metal Gear is top-notch (in before metal gear sucks.)

you just seem to hate games. I think that's your problem.

Posted by Moogs

I care for SP if they make the multiplayer have more replay value

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;800369]you just seem to hate games. I think that's your problem.

Haha, I'll give you that. I've definately been getting a lot more cynical lately.

Yeah, you certainly don't hide it. Every thread is basically you saying "**** ****ING SUCKS" in one form or another. Unless it's about a Wii game.

Remember when we were all kids and every game was awesome? Miss those days...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
Remember when we were all kids and every game was awesome? Miss those days...

Anything with cartoon-like characters = awesome for little kids. That was then atleast. As a little kid, I felt that Mickey Mouse and Mario knew each other.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Remember when we were all kids and every game was awesome?

Every game except LotR SNES, yes.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Remember when we were all kids and every game was awesome? Miss those days...

Back to the days when Contra and Double Dragon were the best games ever made...

Posted by maian

Metal Gear is a brilliant stealth game, and the only one I can stand, really. That may be because it's not 100% stealth, I don't really know how to define it, it's a mix of genres, but it does it beautifully. MGS1 and 2 could use improvement, but MGS3 was beautiful and MGS4 is looking phenomenal in every aspect. Anyway, Metal Gear Online is coming and that looks like it will pull off online stealth.

in any case I miss N64 :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;800499]Remember when we were all kids and every game was awesome? Miss those days...

I'm content with hating everything new and looking at the old stuff through rose-tinted glasses, thanks.

Yeah, exactly.

Good times.

Posted by maian

Well, most of the games back then actually were good, though. =/ It wasn't the massive mainstream industry it is now, where countless games are just means to advertise crappy movies and such.

Like, old Disney games were actually fun. Aladdin SNES ftw :(

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting maian: Aladdin SNES ftw :(

HELL ****ING YEAH

Posted by maian

WELL LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT LION KING WHILE WE'RE AT IT

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;800708]Well, most of the games back then actually were good, though. =/ It wasn't the massive mainstream industry it is now, where countless games are just means to advertise crappy movies and such.
oh, no. No no no no no. There were just as many crappy games in the past as there are now. Go on vNES and pick a random game, and I bet it'll be something awful like Double Dragon III or Simon's Quest.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;800708]Like, old Disney games were actually fun. Aladdin SNES ftw :(

The Mega Drive version was better than the shitty SNES version. NOT THAT I'D KNOW BECAUSE THE GAME WAS SHIT ANYWAY.

Keep the whiskey coming, barkeep.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: The Mega Drive version was better than the shitty SNES version. NOT THAT I'D KNOW BECAUSE THE GAME WAS SHIT ANYWAY.

which one was the prince of persia in the aladin skin, and which did you constantly chop people up in like *** of war?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: The Mega Drive version was better than the shitty SNES version. NOT THAT I'D KNOW BECAUSE THE GAME WAS SHIT ANYWAY.

Truth. The Genesis version rocked, although Capcom did a good job with the SNES version... it just didn't look much like Aladdin.

Oh, and it was easier to make "good" licensed games back then because everything was a platformer. Merely replace the characters and have them jump a lot, and you've got a decent game.

And sometimes Total Recall. Ouch.

Quoted post: Well, most of the games back then actually were good, though. =/ It wasn't the massive mainstream industry it is now, where countless games are just means to advertise crappy movies and such.

Hahaha, oh man. Oh ***. Hahahaha. You really have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, yeah, there's a bunch of **** games these days, but back then? Jesus, there was so much more. So many crappy movie cash-ins too. More then than there is now, easily. What the hell. lol

Posted by Shade

Quoting The X: something awful like Double Dragon III

F[COLOR=WHITE]U[/COLOR]CK YOU

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The first two Double Dragons were great games, but the third was seriously awful. Try it, and see what I mean.

Posted by Shade

I still love it. It's like they're my newborn triplets, only one is slightly deformed.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Pshaw, Earthworm Jim rocked harder than anything anybody well ever make, ever.
---
I think Far Cry 2 is also coming out for 360.

Posted by Shade

**** Far Cry. The other one for 360 sucked ***.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting maian: WELL LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT LION KING WHILE WE'RE AT IT

I liked the Sega version more than the SNES.

Posted by Zeta

Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

YEEEEAAAAAH!

Posted by Ant

Yes, I liked all the Mickey games back in the day.

and the snes version of Aladdin was better.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Mickey's Speedway USA was an underrated Mario Kart killer. Sooo many tracks.

Posted by Slade

My only experience with Mickey's Speedway was in fierce competitions every time I ate at McDonald's with friends. ****, I still remember how I lost the last race we ever played there.

As for the year 2008, Dragon Quest IV for DS needs to be on the list. gonna be sweeeeeeet

Posted by Shade

There's a whole slew of Dragon Quest remakes in the works for the DS, I think. Should be good fun. :cool:

Posted by Ant

for the DS, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Posted by Shade

Already on there.

Posted by Ant

OOPS

Quoted post: **** Far Cry. The other one for 360 sucked ***.

You mean the one that was made for the Xbox and ported to the 360 two years later? Uh... yeah.

haha, wow.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Prototype looks freaking awesome! 7.1 Surround sound on the PC and PS3 versions!

Posted by muffla

prototype will be good even without the new sound system, i personally dont think people will be able to tell the diffrence between 5.1 and 7.1

Quoted post: i personally dont think people will be able to tell the diffrence between 5.1 and 7.1

Then they're deaf. It's the difference between being surrounded in sound and only have sound in the front and back.

Posted by Speedfreak

We need to take games off the list as they come out!

Get to it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

No More Heroes (Action)

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Adventure)

Lost Oddysey (RPG)

... can all be taken off. Apollo Justice is out on Monday, NMH is out, and Lost Odyssey is out.

Posted by Ant

Why do they need to be taken down...? Just put a check or something next to them.

If only VGC had a strike-out feature...

Posted by Shade

Sounds like a job for Jesse.

GET TO IT, ADMIN.

one week later:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

six years later:

HeY wAcKos!!!!!! :D:D:D:D i r imeplemtn TEH strykeout featoor!!! lolo :D:D

Posted by Shade

Totally worth it.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's gotta be out in all regions to be taken off te list. NMH still isn't out here.

Posted by Arcadios

Not a Tales series fan but what about Tales of Vesperia for 360?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Vesperia

Posted by Shade

Quoting Arcadios: Not a Tales series fan but what about Tales of Vesperia for 360?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Vesperia

My excitement is unmatched.

I find it pretty stupid how the 360 is the only announced console. Tales isn't exactly a western game and they decide to release it on the most western of consoles? Smart.

Posted by keyartist

I've pre ordered Crisis Core for the PSP looks good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;821831]I find it pretty stupid how the 360 is the only announced console. Tales isn't exactly a western game and they decide to release it on the most western of consoles? Smart.
The 360 is the new home of lacklustre JRPGs!

Posted by Shade

No, it's the home of good JRPGs. GET IT RIGHT

That's a prime oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Posted by S

Last I checked, that's a huge negative, cowboy.

Vamp, you *****. Ninja'd me.

Posted by Shade

Only bad one right now is supposedly Blue Dragon, though I haven't played that enough to judge.

On the 360? There's only, like, 5. And of those only maybe one is good. JRPGs in general though are ****. They're the same game over and over again with the same battle engine over and over again.

Posted by Shade

Eternal Sonata's battle engine wasn't the same. I liked the battle system quite a lot, actually. Very fun. And to get back on what was originally said, there could be a difference between a good JRPG and a good RPG in general.

action jrpg. Haven't seen that before! Oh wait, they added a light and shadow mechanic. How different.

Posted by Speedfreak

I was gonna disagree with Vamp, but then I realised the only JRPGs I like I really old. The majority of the new stuff outside of Pok

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: action jrpg. Haven't seen that before! Oh wait, they added a light and shadow mechanic. How different.

Action gauge, tactical time, echoes, harmony chains, ETC

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak:

EDIT: Fuck it, you're wrong. You can't slag off JRPGs because of their lack of innovation in the battle system while at the same time like all FPS and all fighting games regardless of them sharing the same problem you stupid faggot.

Yeah, you can pretty much slag jrpgs for everything else, though.
Also, fighting games don't all have the same engine, I mean unless you only play on particular series, such as Smash (which you seem to laud whenever the chance presents itself), Tekken, etc. I mean, MvC2 is completely different from Soul Calibur 3. Spot on about FPS games, however, generally, the companys that make FPS say the atmosphere makes the game. If you were to play something like STALKER and say it is just like Halo, you're a ****ing idiot.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak:
EDIT: Fuck it, you're wrong. You can't slag off JRPGs because of their lack of innovation in the battle system while at the same time like all FPS and all fighting games regardless of them sharing the same problem you stupid faggot.

That's not a valid reason to dissagree.

Except first person shooters are kinda fun to play online with friends! Sure the mechanics are the same, like in every genre, but gameplay tends to differ quite a bit between each high-profile game. Unlike most high-profile JRPGs which are horrible grindfests.

Though, why me liking FPSs has any bearing on anything, I'm not quite sure!

Posted by WillisGreeny

I think Speedfreak doesn't like you because he doesn't like you.

I don't like him for the same reason. Perfect!

Haha, nah. He's a good guy. Can't fault him for arguing with me when that's what I want.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Unlike most high-profile JRPGs which are horrible grindfests.

Only recent one that comes to mind is Dragon Quest VIII.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;823380]Haha, nah. He's a good guy. Can't fault him for arguing with me when that's what I want.

I did it first, fucker.

Posted by TK_hawk

We interrupt this argument for something that I give 50/50 odds of just being ignored.

Sigh. Another forum, and once again, I seem to be the extreme minority in enjoying these games. I'ma try and get them on that list anyways, 'cause I like the series, so deal. Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility on the Wii and Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness (haha, dumb name) on the DS are coming out this year, too.

... If you want to tell me Harvest Moon sucks or something, feel free to, but don't expect me to argue back. ... I try not to get into fights until at -least- having a hundred posts.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Whoa, dude. Chill. You sound depressed.

Posted by Shade

A new Harvest Moon on the DS already? **** yeah. Sign me up.

Posted by TK_hawk

Quoting The X: Whoa, dude. Chill. You sound depressed.

Not depressed so much as paranoid and pessimistic, honestly.

Ah, don't worry, for a paranoid and pessimistic person, I'm generally quite... cheerful. Sometimes pessimistic paranoia wins out, like above, but that's really a rather rare situation.

Wait, what's wrong with Harvest Moon?

Posted by Ant

it "sucks".

Posted by Speedfreak

People hate Harvest Moon?

Did Harvest Moon even come up in this thread prior to that post?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I don't think so...

Harvest Moon is a fun game, but once you've played one, there isn't much appeal in another.

What was the N64 game with Harvest in the title? Body Harvest? They should make another one of those.

Posted by TK_hawk

Tch, I feel dumb now. Sorry for making such assumptions, I'm just getting used to message boards I join very vocally putting down Harvest Moon at the slightest mention. ... Never stuck around any of those, to be honest. Anyways, that's not the case here, so apologies, and happy joy.

Posted by Shade

Quoting The X: I don't think so...

Harvest Moon is a fun game, but once you've played one, there isn't much appeal in another.

Eh, they're throwing different kinks into each game. Rune Factory had dungeon crawling, Island of Happiness you have to build the town, etc. They're learning.

Hated the sprites in Harvest Moon DS, though.

Posted by scottlol78

hey i really have to agree with you there on the lich King that is big news for all wow gamers!!

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: People hate Harvest Moon?

It's an anime farm simulator. A farm simulator. You have to be the most bored person in the universe to play that.

Posted by TK_hawk

Despite that description fitting me to a T, Harvest Moon's actually surprisingly entertaining and addictive. Of course there's far more to it than farming, which is really just the backbone to the game. That alone would be pretty boring, methinks. Fortunately, they fleshed it out excellently.

Posted by Synth2012

I played a Harvest Moon game once and I couldn't really get into it, but that was just me.

Posted by TK_hawk

Ah, that's understandable. It's really a game that you're going to have to be willing to devote a lot of time to if you really want to enjoy it, and that's not something everyone's really going to want to do, especially with how long it takes for the game to really get going with a new file. It's really only going to appeal to a minority crowd, I suppose. I love it nonetheless.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;824555]It's an anime farm simulator. A farm simulator. You have to be the most bored person in the universe to play that.

The theme of a game should mean relatively little to anyone over the mental age of five. The mechanics of the game are what you have fun with.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: The theme of a game should mean relatively little to anyone over the mental age of five. The mechanics of the game are what you have fun with.

Farm simulation is great. I mean, I sure love dating those farm girls while planting vegetables. Man, raising animals sure is fun. Boy do I sure love pulling up rocks and weeds and doing other tedious chores in a game!

The "mechanics" are as terrible as the "theme".

That's why harvest moon is a "terrible game", in fact, it's the worst single player korean mmo ever made

Posted by Speedfreak

You didn't describe any mechanics. You described the themes they're based around. You're out of your depth, kid.

Posted by TK_hawk

Well, to be fair, pulling weeds is pulling weeds. There's really nothing entertaining about that one.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: You didn't describe any mechanics. You described the themes they're based around. You're out of your depth, kid.

please, explain to me the mechanics are oh great anime farm messiah so i can tell you why this game is boring trash.

also anime farm simulators are deep have fun thinking that.

Posted by Speedfreak

Most of the mechanics are about managing resources. A mechanic that's pretty common in strategy games aswell as games like sim city, the sims etc. People enjoy it because of the amount of thought that goes into managing it.

The opposite would be quick-timer events. Where the theme is all OMG AWESOME HE'S SLASHING HIS KNIFE OR RUNNING AWAY FROM SOME GREEK *** or whatever, but the mechanic is just some s[color=lightgreen]h[/coor]itty simon-says crap where you just press the button on the screen. But I bet you love those kind of games.

Posted by TK_hawk

Y'know, I may be new here, but I can already tell that this guy's not worth the effort. All you're gonna accomplish is getting a headache, and he'll skip off completely unaffected in the end. Do keep in mind that you're kind of having to explain step-by-step what mechanics are to keep this argument moving while considering just how worth it he may or may not be.

Posted by S

Quit trolling Poco.

Posted by Shade

If you acknowledge a troll, it just means they win.

FOR THE LOVE OF *** IGNORE _______

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Most of the mechanics are about managing resources. A mechanic that's pretty common in strategy games aswell as games like sim city, the sims etc. People enjoy it because of the amount of thought that goes into managing it.

The opposite would be quick-timer events. Where the theme is all OMG AWESOME HE'S SLASHING HIS KNIFE OR RUNNING AWAY FROM SOME GREEK *** or whatever, but the mechanic is just some s[color=lightgreen]h[/coor]itty simon-says crap where you just press the button on the screen. But I bet you love those kind of games.

Oh ok, most people just call it resource management, sorry guess ive been a pc gamer too long. I only played harvest moon for ~ 2 hours (n64 one), and didn't see much in the way of resource management, guess i didn't get to into it enough.

ps if you think harvest moon is "deep" in terms of "resource management" try galactic civ 2 or X3 reunion. your brain would implode from the excellent mechanics.

however this still doesnt stop it from being a terrible game with terrible gameplay.

Quoting TK_hawk: Y'know, I may be new here, but I can already tell that this guy's not worth the effort. All you're gonna accomplish is getting a headache, and he'll skip off completely unaffected in the end. Do keep in mind that you're kind of having to explain step-by-step what mechanics are to keep this argument moving while considering just how worth it he may or may not be.

[QUOTE=S

Posted by TK_hawk

Yes, it's a nice avatar, isn't it? Thank you for noticing. Yours is... interesting. And has way too many artifacts. What do avatars have to do with anything, anyways?

Quoted post: What do avatars have to do with anything, anyways?

Quoted post: Poco disagrees: anime fan. welcome to hell

guess that was his point

Posted by TK_hawk

Well, it's a pretty dumb point, then, isn't it?

Posted by S

Stop trying. You can't win against someone who argues just to get you ****ed.

Posted by TK_hawk

Oh, you people don't know me, so you don't know how I act when angered, huh? Rest assured I'm completely calm at the moment, and just kind of laughing at this guy.

Posted by S

I'm not saying you're angry; I'm saying these are the responses he's fishing for.

Posted by TK_hawk

Really? I'm just posting them for kicks. Is that so wrong? Neh, whatever. 'Twas fun, dear sir, but it seems that "Don't feed the troll" is strongly suggested here-abouts.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=TK_hawk;825551]Y'know, I may be new here, but I can already tell that this guy's not worth the effort. All you're gonna accomplish is getting a headache, and he'll skip off completely unaffected in the end. Do keep in mind that you're kind of having to explain step-by-step what mechanics are to keep this argument moving while considering just how worth it he may or may not be.

I know better than anyone, no need to warn me. I just use people like him as practise for developing and explaining certain concepts and theories about games. It'll be a very useful skill if I ever have to pitch a game concept. It's pretty amazing how you can further your own thoughts just by trying to communicate them to someone else, the fact that he's a complete retard just means I'm playing on "extreme mode".

Posted by Iris

You know we're free to delete Poco's troll posts in here, right? :/

Posted by S

His last post was fairly decent so I left it for now.

None of those were troll posts, you morons.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: I know better than anyone, no need to warn me. I just use people like him as practise for developing and explaining certain concepts and theories about games. It'll be a very useful skill if I ever have to pitch a game concept. It's pretty amazing how you can further your own thoughts just by trying to communicate them to someone else, the fact that he's a complete retard just means I'm playing on "extreme mode".

well hot **** i think a game with boring, ***-awful gameplay is crappy i must be a moron for knowing what i like. maybe i'm the only one who has noticed this, but when someone makes a point you can't counter, you resort to name calling. idk how you are going to get by in the professional world by calling people "faggots" when they disagree with you. you're posting is reminiscent of 14 year old nerd-rager.

edit: holy crap you're 20 years old

Seriouspost: If you like micromanaging resources and such, I'd strongly recommend you play World in Conflict (provided it was released under that name in Britain). I don't know if you'd like the theme of the game (oh no russians are attackin in the late 80s again!!) The game has a strong emphasis on resource management, with a little action thrown in. You control fewer units, so it's kind of like an action rts. I strongly recommend to you, because I think you'd like it. (Yes, I know, I can form coherent thoughts). Truth be told, I really don't like Harvest Moon, I just could never get into it. It seemed alright, but it still is an Anime farm simulator, which I guess kind of turned me off to it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;825585]ps if you think harvest moon is "deep" in terms of "resource management" try galactic civ 2 or X3 reunion. your brain would implode from the excellent mechanics.

however this still doesnt stop it from being a terrible game with terrible gameplay.

Never played the N64 one, though apparantly it's easy like the Gameboy Color one. Try the Gamecube one, I couldn't get started.

The games function well, they have all that's required to generate some fun. But even if a game has that it doesn't mean you'll like it. You're entitled to your opinion, laddy.

[quote=Poco;825783]well hot **** i think a game with boring, ***-awful gameplay is crappy i must be a moron for knowing what i like. maybe i'm the only one who has noticed this, but when someone makes a point you can't counter, you resort to name calling.

I countered all your points, you are sorely mistaken.

[quote=Poco;825783]idk how you are going to get by in the professional world by calling people "faggots" when they disagree with you.

Because *shock horror* I act differently in real lfe.

[quote=Poco;825783]you're posting is reminiscent of 14 year old nerd-rager.

So you see a lot of yourself in me. I suppose I should be flattered?

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Never played the N64 one, though apparantly it's easy like the Gameboy Color one. Try the Gamecube one, I couldn't get started.

The games function well, they have all that's required to generate some fun. But even if a game has that it doesn't mean you'll like it. You're entitled to your opinion, laddy.

Nah, I remember the N64 one not being easy, per say, everything in it was just really wooden. It didn't really feel fluid, like I expected it to. I can't really explain it.

My gf's little bro is a huge fan of the Harvest Moon games. He showed his farm in one of the GC (I think it was called wonderful nature or something), and geeze, he must have invested huge amounts of time in to that game.

I do believe the games would appeal to a certain group, but I really didn't care for them.

edit: since when is 5'9" 148 lbs fat im just wondering where this idea came from, because it seems when someone disagrees with me they call me fatty or something also bebop you're a p. terrible troll. almost as a farker

Posted by fanboy100

i think gta is awful does anyone aggree with me

Posted by Poco

Quoting fanboy100: i think gta is awful does anyone aggree with me

yeah man i aggree with you

Seriously, I don't see how people think GTA is so awesome. It's a decent sandbox game, but not much else.

Posted by fanboy100

i mean the graphics look awful ok the cars look ok but the characters look crap. i would prefer my character to look better than the car i am driveing

Posted by Poco

Quoting fanboy100: i mean the graphics look awful ok the cars look ok but the characters look crap. i would prefer my character to look better than the car i am driveing

ah hellz yeh bro man every1 knowz grafix is da reson for gamin it aint maddin or sh**t

Posted by fanboy100

have u palyed manhunt2

Posted by Poco

Quoting fanboy100: have u palyed manhunt2

aw nigga fuk dat ****T that game wuz gay!

Posted by fanboy100

thats what i mean rockstar cannot make good solid games

rockstar cant make a game without it gettibg banned in atb least 1 country. the only gud thing about gta is its humour, and thats hardly excellent, so y waste money on it.

Quoted post: without it gettibg banned in atb least 1 country.

pretty much every game these days gets banned by at least one country.

Posted by fanboy100

yeah but every single rockstar game has been banned apart from table tennis. look at ubisoft they havent had one of their games banned.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If you want to make a game that's edgy, that's the risk you take.

Posted by fanboy100

yeah but when all of the gta and manhunt games were banned they should learn and make the games a little less edgy

Posted by WillisGreeny

And give in to the system? Yeah, people love it when companies give in. :cookie:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=fanboy100;826091] look at ubisoft they havent had one of their games banned.
GRAW2 was banned in Mexico.

Posted by fanboy100

all im trying 2 say is if rockstar dont want 2 waste money they should make different versions to the titles they r going 2 bring out in different countries, like no more heros, this way they will insure there games do not get banned

Posted by WillisGreeny

yeah, making 2 different versions is cheaper than 1... I think you're over simplifying the issue.

Posted by fanboy100

no i mean making less violent content for specific countrys.

Quoted post: all im trying 2 say is if rockstar dont want 2 waste money they should make different versions to the titles they r going 2 bring out in different countries, like no more heros, this way they will insure there games do not get banned

ugh, just shut up. Rockstar's GTA series, though banned in certain countries, still manages to outsell nearly every single game that's available in all nations. HMM, seems you have failed logic there.

Posted by fanboy100

HMM, seems you have failed logic there.

HMM? the gta series hasnt outselled the likes of the halo and resident evil, the only people who buy gta games r people looking to kill inocent people so they get the swat on them, that is all good and well but compared to the depth of say half life or resident evil gta is awful!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=fanboy100;826373]HMM? the gta series hasnt outselled the likes of the halo and resident evil
hahahahaha, oh wow. San Andreas is the best selling game of all time. Dude.

Posted by fanboy100

no series not individual games and super mario bros on the nes is the best selling game of all time

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;826377]hahahahaha, oh wow. San Andreas is the best selling game of all time. Dude.

...no it's not. Maybe you're thinking "of last gen".

Posted by fanboy100

last gen u sed of all time last gen next gen it is all time

Posted by Shade

GRAMMAR, MOTHA F[COLOR=WHITE]U[/COLOR]CKA, CAN YOU USE IT

Posted by fanboy100

U CANT USE UR PENIS u have NEVER gave a girl a orgasm

Posted by Shade

I'll take that as a no, then.

Posted by fanboy100

ok so u r saying gta is better than super mario i think u r off ur head

Posted by Poco

fanboy100 stop posting, you were entertaining at first but not anymore, now or ever

Posted by Axis

I actually haven't play many video games lately... so my list at the moment is small.

Condemned 2: Blooshot
Metal Gear Solid 4
Fable 2
Alan Wake (if it ever comes out)
Resistance 2

Yeah... that's about it.

Posted by fanboy100

i will stop posting bout gta poco! is resistant anygud i just saw it as sony trying 2 sell their awful console!
no offense sony!

Posted by Shade

Troll better.

Posted by fanboy100

i dont think i wil ever buy a ps3 until mgs4 comes out! there is a serious lack of good ps3 exclusives!

Can I just ban this kid?

Posted by Shade

Go for it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't be a dick, he's funny.

Posted by Shade

Was funny.

Posted by Speedfreak

Right, because he's not posting at this moment in time!

Posted by Shade

As in he's not funny anymore. Way to intentionally (I hope) miss the point, buddy.

He was never funny. There.

Posted by fanboy100

do any of u have a ps3

Posted by Speedfreak

Comedy gold!

Posted by fanboy100

thank you so much speedfreak! *** bless ur soul. you r forgiven

Posted by Speedfreak

Can I keep him? :(

Posted by Poco

Quoting fanboy100: do any of u have a ps3

beautiful. i love you.

Quoted post: Can I keep him?

Sorry, but no. I'll have to put him down.

Posted by Shade

Damn, I was hoping to make the first dog pun.

Posted by The Sageless Ranger

This game is gonna be crazy!!

Posted by CookieSlayer666

Looking forward to Fable 2, Fallout 3 (CAN'T WAIT!!!), Star Wars: Unleashed, Alan Wake, Mirror's Edge... a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Quoted post: Alan Wake

Quoted post: Big games of 2008

hahahaha

Posted by Ant

Are we still keeping this list up to date? if so add Street Fighter IV and Castle Crashers. Both ****ing great (played both, accounted for awesomeness)

Ah, Castle Crashers, that's one game I really want to play. Xbox Night when that game comes out.

Posted by Ant

it's stupid easy fun brawling arcade action extreme xXhardxcoreXx

I like all those things!

Posted by ItSlaughter

Dead Island is supposed to come out this year. For those of you who don't know the story, your plane crashes on an island during your honeymoon. Your wife is lost in the insuing chaos and you set out to find her. The only probably is the island is infested with zombies. The game sports what it claims to be a real time damage effect. Meaning the zombies will really decay and their skin will respond to where you hit them and what you hit them with.

I don't know if it will actually make it out this year since the release date is TBA 08 and the only place that has any kind of upto date information about is the games actually website. Seems like there keeping it pretty much hush hush which has me a little worried. I don't want this to turn into another Alan Wake.(no offense to the game as I'm dying to play it, but seirously, is it coming out or what?)

I haven't even heard of it. NOT A BIG GAME

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

SKATE 2

HOLIDAY 2008

Posted by scott349

Fallout 3
Crysis Warhead
FarCry 2

Posted by worldofpeace

Thanks To Gave A list Of Best Games Of 2008, Now I can Buy Besat Games With Help of Your Information

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;869971]I haven't even heard of it. NOT A BIG GAME

but that doesn't mean it will suck though! but yeah, no way 08.

Posted by jenny13

Thanx Fr sharing the list....I have recently played MotorStorm: Pacific Rift...Rockin one!!!

Posted by Omni

I'd just like to point out that this sticky is fairly outdated and could be unstuck.

Posted by Drexciya

I came here to say the same thing. Your staff here is ****ing horrible. This place is a garbage chute.

Posted by coromoro

And you are part of it now! :)

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Drexciya: I came here to say the same thing. Your staff here is ****ing horrible. This place is a garbage chute.

"Staff"... LOL.