Posted by Bebop

You're forcing yourself to enjoy it? That's dumb.

Posted by S

Just as dumb as you judging a movie based on something you've got very little knowledge on.

I never said force, I'm sure that I'll enjoy it to the fact that I can say it with confidence.

Posted by Bebop

So having low expectaions because of what I have seen thus far is as dumb as, no matter what the film turns out to be, deciding early on you're defiantely going to enjoy it? Nice try bubba.

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: ...looks crap. Johnny Depp can't sing so why cast him in a musical? Christ he hasn't learnt to stop talking like Jack Sparrow yet.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=S

Posted by S

It ever strike you that the directors... you know, wanted that? Get off your ****ing cross.

Posted by Bebop

Did it strike me that the director, producers, actors and pretty much everyone involved wanted me to have low expectations and not want to see a film when I see the trailer which in itself is something created to make people WANT to see the film? No. Because I'm not an idiot and neither are the people on the project. Is that honestly what you beleive?

For future kiddo there is only one director on this film and for the majority of films.

Posted by S

Actually, I don't think it occurred to them that they must appease the mighty Bebop. Like I said, get off your cross - you're not that important. They, in all likelihood, hired that persona of Johnny Depp.

Aesthetics is obviously beyond your scope. Just quit while you're ahead.

Oh, and... for future reference, kiddo, the word "beleive" does not exist. I think you were searching for the word: "believe".

Anal retentive ****.

Posted by Bebop

Their goal was to appeal to as many people as they can. That is what I think and seeing as thats how film makers think it means I am right. You seem to think its to give people low expectations which is not how they think which means you are wrong. With me so far?

People with such a diabolical understanding of films shouldnt be allowed to watch them let alone comment about them. Get your head out of your arse. You are not important. People who willy nilly decide to enjoy a film before they've seen it, and get their knickers in a bunch when someone with reasonable amounts of evidence has low expectations for it are the worst audience member of them all.

The look of the film is beyond my comprehension? It's under it mate. Burtons 'tortured dark gothic' look has been done to dust, and this current use of it I find over the top and quite ill fitting, namely in the appearance of Depp. I think you should think about what you are saying before you start using big words.

I'm not even going to start on your reasoning behind Johnny's personna.

Speaking of words don't point out my simple typos when you can't tell the difference between 'quit' and 'quite'. The e makes all the difference.

Next up Solrok thinks Tarintino invented incidental dialouge.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Their goal was to appeal to as many people as they can. That is what I think and seeing as thats how film makers think it means I am right. You seem to think its to give people low expectations which is not how they think which means you are wrong. With me so far?

I believe Solrock was saying the director wanted that specific persona of Johnny Depp, not the low expectations. Misunderstanding.

Posted by Bebop

Naturally the performance Depp gives is what Burton found acceptable. Still that doesnt change the fact its a *** awful one.

Posted by S

I quit reading when you made your first assumption. That was around sentence two I think. Maybe three.

Bebop, you suck at arguing.

Posted by Bebop

Says that guy who struggles to make it clear what the hell he is talking about and decides he likes a film or not before hes seen it. Go back to watching free willy and stay the hell away from cinemas.

When I first saw the poster I thought it was fake. The whole look of the film seems so far over the top for Burton. Just how Depp looks with his one streak of white is ridiculous. The musical element is sickening. Wont beat the TV Sweeney Todd with Ray Whinstone. Thats for sure.

Posted by S

Actually, I just don't make massive generalizations about movies like yourself based on a thirty to sixty second trailer. I don't assume that the vocal variety/power/integrity of an actor is weak when given only one snippet of a verse, nor do I make an assumption about an actor's choice of roles and attack his ability as an actor because of his role choices.

And I don't even like Depp. Huh.

Posted by Bebop

No you make massive generalistions about movies WITHOUT knowing anything about them. You said yourself you're going to enjoy the film regardless. And you're still thinking a negative response to a trailer is more unjust than blindly enjoying it before sitting in the theatre seat. So expectations made from a trailer is a bad move? Then why do trailers exist? I don't need to hear a 4 hour album sung by Depp to judge whether he has a good singing voice. Theres more than enough in the trailer for someone to judge if it's nails on a chalk board or endurable. It's not an assumption, it's an expectation. Attack his ability as an actor? What the hell are you talking about? You make it sounds as if I've lived a live long campaign against Johnny Depps career because I think his latest performance from what I've seen is too similar to a previous character hes played. You really are quite the drama queen.

Posted by S

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Bebop

Holy **** you have an expectation! Thats wrong apparantly. If I had a high expectation would you not have made all those annoying posts or is it more than I'm not interested in a film you are clearly anticipating, and more with the fact you don't think you can have expecations from a trailer?

Posted by S

It's more that your entire first post was attacking the actor and barely even about the movie, if only as a snide second reference.

Posted by Bebop

'Attacking' the actor? is that what kids are calling it when comeone gives a piece of acting a bad review. I made it perfectly clear what my biggest concerns with him were. 1>Singing voice 2>Normal voice.

For a person who claims to not like Depp you really got your nuts in a twist over nothing.

Posted by S

Of which, you had insufficient evidence on his singing voice to actually come to a succinct conclusion. And second, the other can be explained by, again, his persona, of which they hired him in specific for I'd wager.

And I'm sorry that I'm protecting him, but you're just so ****ing stupid. In the lesser of two evils, I'd call you Cthulu.

Posted by Bebop

I did have sufficient amount of singing to judge whether or not I'd endure 2 hours of it. What part of that is hard to understand? Do you honestly beleive he can sing? Honeslty? I bet you haven't even seen the trailer. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Holy flying monkey ****! His acting can be explained by...his acting? No wai! Your an ever flowing fountain of original thought. Congrats. Still, points still stands his portrayal of this character resembles to closely the portrayal or another character he has played. Thats bad acting 101. Duh duh what! Still having trouble comprehending this? Well you are an idiot so it's no suprise.
Also, he was picked for the same reasons Burton picks him in his other films: he likes him and they work well together. Why do you think he's in so many Burton films? Cos of his acting? Seriously think for a second would you. Same goes for his wife Helana Bohem Carter.

Nice sentence at the end. No seriously, it was so deep.

Posted by S

Have you seen the play?

Posted by NeXidala

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Bebop

No. And do you know what, that's irrelevant. Because I'm talking about the trailer of a film

EDIT: Really not sure who that was directed at cos Solrock chas difficulty making himself clear. In any case the adaptation of the play in Burtons film supposadly differs greatly from the play.

Posted by S

Your reading comprehension has nothing to do with my ability to articulate myself, Bebop. :)

No Nexi, it was not directed at you. I'd assume, if you had seen the play, you'd know a little bit more about the plot. The plot is about a man who is wronged, and then comes back several years later as a barber, and kills the people who hurt him.

And Bebop, it has everything to do with it; has it ever occured to you that specific songs are not meant to draw on the vocal talents of the singer? In fact, there are those that are meant to draw on a more harsh or negative tone? You don't like the specific sound of a song? Yeah, fine whatever. You're welcome to your closed mindedness, just don't get ****y if I call you the fool for playing the role. Similarly, the trailer may have been attacking a different point than you were assuming; not his vocal talent, but rather the relevance of the song itself, as it actually tells part of the story that may be necessary to sell the plot and movie.

Posted by Bebop

2 members didnt know who you were directing that post at and you seriously think you dont have difficulty expressing yourself? You really are a fool.

Holy crap another gem from Solrok. Ready the press Solrok has uncovered something that no-one else on this planet could have figured out: The song in the trailer helps tell the story. Jesus get me smelling salts I'm about to faint from this new found knowledge!

It doesnt have anything to do with the play cos we're talking about a film but if you insist consider this: as a play, where people come to watch people act and sing in a LIVE show the person must good at this. Shock piece of news for you so brace yourself: IF THE SONG IS SUPPOSED TO EXPRESS A DARK OR NEGATIVE TONE HAVE A SINGER WHO CAN DO THAT. Just because the song isn't all happy rainbow kisses and bunnies doesnt mean any Tom Dick or harry will be good for the role. I hope you never become a casting director. **** I dont have to worry. A person with your level of intelligence seldoms survives birth. What the song express is irrelevant because all that matters is that you have a voice suitable to convey it. His voice is crap. I bet you're one of those people who defend Zach Braffz awful acting in garden state cos "lol duh his character has little emotion cos of da druggss!". Give me a break. His voice isn't suitable for that song in any stretch of the imagination. At all. Stop trying to think it is.

Posted by S

Swing and a miss.

[quote=Bebop]The song in the trailer helps tell the story.
Meaning it does not necessarily reflect his true stripes, being that the song in question is not crafted to show a skill in tone/voice or anything else. It is a furtherance of the story.

Posted by Fate

Bebop is the king of all decisions in movies. If he says it sucks, it must be true.

I think the movie looks promising.
*oscar*

Posted by Shade

You're both idiots for dragging the argument out for this long.

What Bebop's saying actually makes sense, though.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: Bebop is the king of all decisions in movies. If he says it sucks, it must be true.

I think the movie looks promising.
*oscar*

Well yes, beacuse when I say trailers are made to get people to want to watch the film, and when i say the tone of a song does not make it subjective to a bad performance I am right because *drum roll please* duh duh duh that's fact. Next up Fate freaks when Bebop says the sky is blue and that cherry pie is "pretty good"!

Also I clearly have the best taste in films.

Posted by Roger Smith

Just got back from watching Sweeny, and I enjoyed it greatly. Depp has a pretty good singing voice. And there's only a few times where I hear Captn Jack Sparrow. I'm rather interested in the original play now, and shall look it up.

Bebop, I think Klarth would be flattered that you took over his position as the resident brit *******. Well done on filling some pretty big shoes up.

Posted by The Judge

I loved the movie personally. When I saw it I crapped Goth Cakes.

Posted by Roger Smith

I think one of my favorite parts would be when Sweeny goes out into the street trying to ppl to walk into his shop lol.

Alright! You, sir?/How about a shave?/Come and visit/Your good friend Sweeney!/You sir! Too, sir/Welcome to the grave./I will have vengeance./I will have salvation... /Who, sir? You sir!/No one's in the chair come on, come on/Sweeney's waiting/I want you bleeders./ You sir? Anybody?/Gentlemen, now don't be shy/Not one man/No, nor ten men/Nor a hundred can assuage me.

Posted by Fate

I like where they sing about which pies to make with what meat. :)

Posted by Shade

Quoting Roger Smith: I think one of my favorite parts would be when Sweeny goes out into the street trying to ppl to walk into his shop lol.

Alright! You, sir?/How about a shave?/Come and visit/Your good friend Sweeney!/You sir! Too, sir/Welcome to the grave./I will have vengeance./I will have salvation... /Who, sir? You sir!/No one's in the chair come on, come on/Sweeney's waiting/I want you bleeders./ You sir? Anybody?/Gentlemen, now don't be shy/Not one man/No, nor ten men/Nor a hundred can assuage me.

You realize he wasn't actually out in the street, right?

Yeah I thought it was pretty great. And Johanna had nice boobs.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Shade: You realize he wasn't actually out in the street, right?

No, he wasn't ACTUALLY in the street. It was all in his mind.

Good thing we have you to point out these little things for us Shade, less we'd all look like asses.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Fate: I like where they sing about which pies to make with what meat. :)

That was possibly the best song in the movie...or ever made.

Posted by Ant

go back into your car and start singing it then. faggot.

haha, oh wow. I did that on my way to work the day after it came out...

Posted by Skitzo Control

Although the Burton/Depp/Carter adaptation looks good, I seriously recommend you check out the Sondheim/Hearn/Lansbury musical. I have the DVD, have had it for about three years, now, and it's a very good musical.
---
Bebop, even the stage musical doesn't have very good vocals to it. Because of the storyline, because of the nature of Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett, you really don't want them to have some beautiful angelic voice. That's why Anthony Hope (when played by Cris Groenendaal) was the shining singer in the stage production: he was the hero, the true protagonist, and he gave the audience a feeling of hope with his great talent. Again, it's not about their ability to sing, but more their ability to portray their character properly. Depp, as far as the trailer goes, looks as though he may not have the rage that Hearn displayed (it's really hard for me to get over him in Edward Scissorhands :P), but he definitely pushes the character into a whole new world of bizarre, unreasonable, and flat-out crazy.
---
My personal favorite song is from the stage production (whether or not it's in the movie, I don't know, 'cause it hasn't been released around these parts, yet), it's Hearn's and Groenendaal's duet, Johanna. You can feel the two character's emotions and just how vastly different they see the world. POSSIBLE SPOILER:[spoiler]Sweeney Todd sings, "And if you're beautiful, what then/With yellow hair, like wheat?/I think we shall not meet again/My little dove, my sweet Johanna," showing he has no hope nor does he really care about recovering his daughter, only exacting his revenge, but in the previous lines, Anthony sings, "I feel you, Johanna, I feel you/Do they think that walls can hide you?/Even now I'm at your window/I am in the dark beside you/Buried sweetly in your yellow hair, Johanna..." explaining that, although Judge Turpin keeps her locked in her room, although the Judge has taken Johanna away from Anthony, he is still there for her. He never gives up hope.[/spoiler]

Posted by Xero

I also enjoyed that meat pie song a lot. I still sing it along with my friends after work. :)

And I didn't mind Depp speaking like Jack Sparrow in the movie. I really like that way of speaking, so...
Also, his singing skills aren't incredible, but they were good enough to not spoil the movie. I was actually surprised he could sing that well.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Johnny Depp can't carry a note to save his *** from the plank, the film was somewhat boring once the action and plot started to revolve completely around the songs. I died a little. I've seen both original scores, and I was disappointed enough to walk out of theaters during Depp's meat pie fiasco. I understand that St was to be a musical, because, the original and first stage remake were of course; musicals. But, this film was just complete crap. No sugar on top, no hidden flavors.. just right down to the core-crap.

Posted by Roger Smith

lol

Posted by Shade

Quoting Roger Smith: No, he wasn't ACTUALLY in the street. It was all in his mind.

Good thing we have you to point out these little things for us Shade, less we'd all look like asses.

Just clarifying, as your post indicated that you didn't realize that. And don't worry, you do a fine job of looking like an ass without any help from me. :cookie:

Posted by Roger Smith

Dude, I saw the movie.

Srsly.

Srsly.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Roger always looks like an ass. Even when he's trying to mimic mine. And yes, ST was just imagining the street scene. Seriously, Jack the Ripper would have cut a nigga by then had ST been skulking around and singing; looking for people to "shave". Srsly, wai srsly..

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Tyler Durden: Roger always looks like an ass. Even when he's trying to mimic mine.

How does one mimic an actual ass? Do I draw a line down my face and act out the individual cheeks?

Posted by Tyler Durden

No son, just grow a ****ing BEARD!!!

Posted by Roger Smith

......that's so ****ing retarded it makes sense.

Posted by Shade

...is it weird that I actually get the joke?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Skitzo Control:
Bebop, even the stage musical doesn't have very good vocals to it. Because of the storyline, because of the nature of Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett, you really don't want them to have some beautiful angelic voice. That's why Anthony Hope (when played by Cris Groenendaal) was the shining singer in the stage production: he was the hero, the true protagonist, and he gave the audience a feeling of hope with his great talent. Again, it's not about their ability to sing, but more their ability to portray their character properly. Depp, as far as the trailer goes, looks as though he may not have the rage that Hearn displayed (it's really hard for me to get over him in Edward Scissorhands :P), but he definitely pushes the character into a whole new world of bizarre, unreasonable, and flat-out crazy.

A play is not a film.
A musical is not a film.
A book is not a film.
A comic is not a film.
A video game is not a film.

His voice may suit the stage play but from I've seen it doesnt suit the film.

Posted by The Judge

I thought the film was just ****ing dandy, because I'm not overly critical.

Posted by Bebop

Know that we know you're not overly critical is it even worth your time to give us your opinion on anything else ever again, if we know what it's going to be?

Posted by Roger Smith

I'll believe his opinion more then yours, cuz we know all you do is ***** and complain about movies.

Posted by Bebop

Believe his opinion? Because opinions lie? What?

Judge just admitted he isn't critical of films.
I am critical of films.

So surely, if you were going to 'believe' anyones opinion it should be mine? Don't worry you'll hear about it in full force when it's released over here.
Not that I care really.

Posted by The Judge

Opinions are opinions. I thought it was a well-made movie, and I base this off having never seen the play. I thought the singing was good and the visuals were nice, as well as appropriate. I give my opinion because this is a public message board where I'm allowed to, whether you want it or not. You have the same right, and I'm not knocking you for it.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Bebop: Believe his opinion? Because opinions lie? What?

Judge just admitted he isn't critical of films.
I am critical of films.

So surely, if you were going to 'believe' anyones opinion it should be mine? Don't worry you'll hear about it in full force when it's released over here.
Not that I care really.

Lie?....wtf

Protip: Don't say you don't really care, when you do in fact care a great deal.

NOW WHO'S THE LIAR?

Posted by Bebop

You said you'd 'believe' his opinion. You meant to say trust. Nevermind.

I don't care if you agree with my opinion or not. You've proved time and time again how poor your film taste. I'd be wasting my time dicussing film with someone like you. I was merely addressing and correcting the mistakes in your post.

Judge, I just thought for someone that admits they arent overly ciritcal of something it was meaningless that they would still give their opinion. It kind of defeats the whole point of having an opinion if it's just going to be "it was alright" all the time. I wasn't ripping you or anything. Just seemed to defeat the point is all. Kind of like a person giving their opinion on different meals but saying "everything just tastes the same to me".

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Bebop: You said you'd 'believe' his opinion. You meant to say trust. Nevermind.

I don't care if you agree with my opinion or not. You've proved time and time again how poor your film taste. I'd be wasting my time dicussing film with someone like you. I was merely addressing and correcting the mistakes in your post.

Wow, I get the strong feeling that you are an idiot. Show me these 'times', I demand it. You'll quickly find that I hardly post anything in regards to movies or films. Only thing that comes to mind is the Transformers thread I made a week or so ago, the Sonic the Hedgehog Movie thread I made ****ing 3 months ago, my posts here and in Dark Knight.

Wtf do you know about my film taste? Prick.

Posted by Stalolin

*******it bebop, I pretty close to just making a thread to get you moderator here so you'll stop reporting posts =(

Posted by Bebop

Is it explained what happened between this film and Pirates of the Carribean 3? It's wierd that Jack Sparrow is not longer a pirate but the trailer didn't really seem to make any refrence to previous titles in the series.

What annoys me about Burton (and other directers that do this too) is that he gives the role to Depp, rather than getting an actor for the role. I can't help but feel Depp isnt the best candiate for his roles in Burtons films. Ray *******e was awesome as Sweeny Todd in the TV version and I can't exactly see Depp surpassing that.

Same goes for Carter and her dodgy cockney voice.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Bebop: Is it explained what happened between this film and Pirates of the Carribean 3? It's wierd that Jack Sparrow is not longer a pirate but the trailer didn't really seem to make any refrence to previous titles in the series.

What annoys me about Burton (and other directers that do this too) is that he gives the role to Depp, rather than getting an actor for the role. I can't help but feel Depp isnt the best candiate for his roles in Burtons films. Ray *******e was awesome as Sweeny Todd in the TV version and I can't exactly see Depp surpassing that.

Same goes for Carter and her dodgy cockney voice.

In my humble opinion, J. Depp made and excellent Captain Jack Sparrow. I could not see anyone better to play the role.

And also. It's weird*, reference*, directors*, isn't*, candidate*, Burton's*, and Sweeney*. And I don't know wtf dodgy is unless you meant 'doggy'. :\

Posted by Bebop

This isn't a thread about Pirates of the Caribbean. Please make sure posts are on topic k thanx

Dodgy means to be iffy, odd, perculir, strange. Suspect or faulty.

Wierd can be spelt wither way. Thats what makes it so weird. LOLOLOLOL

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Bebop: This isn't a thread about Pirates of the Caribbean. Please make sure posts are on topic k thanx

Your last post had to deal with Johnny Depp, and the Pirates movie. I merely stated my opinion on your's. :)

Quoting Bebop: Dodgy means to be iffy, odd, perculir, strange. Suspect or faulty.

K.

Quoting Bebop: Wierd can be spelt wither way. Thats what makes it so weird. LOLOLOLOL

...Uh..? What..?

weird /wɪərd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[weerd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird sound; weird lights.

(For 'wierd')
Did you mean weird (in dictionary) or Wierd (in encyclopedia)?

Dictionary suggestions:
weird

Also: It doesn't excuse you from the other errors you made, that which, were basic language. -_-;;

OH BTW! Either* and that's*. :)

Posted by WillisGreeny

Bebop hates Johnny Depp. Why encourage him to agrue his point further? Let him be overly critical.

Posted by Nazo

Quoting WillisGreeny: Bebop hates Johnny Depp. Why encourage him to agrue his point farther? Let him be overly critical.

Ah, my apologies then.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting WillisGreeny: Bebop hates Johnny Depp. Why encourage him to agrue his point further? Let him be overly critical.

I don't hate Johnny Depp.

Posted by Omni

I'm posting to say that I laughed at Bebop's comment about Depp's vocals, since he's actually pretty good at the vocal style that sings in in this movie. Not that I expect Bebop to understand what that means or do anything but attempt to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Omni: since the style he's actually pretty good at the vocal style that sings in in this movie.

Well you're right. I have no idea what that means. Care to try a sentence next?

Depp even admitted he "couldnt carry a note". If the actor admits he cants sing, thats got to count for something.

Posted by Xero

He said he couldn't carry a note...but he still sang in the movie...

Are you sure he really said that? Because that doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Chris: He said he couldn't carry a note...but he still sang in the movie...

And you're point is...that he's in the movie? Really no way. Do you know who the director is any chance?

[quote]Are you sure he really said that? Because that doesn't make much sense to me.

He said "I can't carry a note to save my life but I think that adds something to the character". I'm quite certain that's the exact quote.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Bebop: Do you know who the director is any chance?

It's hard NOT to know who it is... -_-

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: Depp even admitted he "couldnt carry a note". If the actor admits he cants sing, thats got to count for something.

John Lennon stated in interviews that he was a terrible singer and didn't know why people liked his voice. It doesn't count for anything.

Posted by Bebop

John Lennon also said, when asked the questions "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world", "he isnt the best drummer in The Beatles". Seemed to bang the head on the nail with that one.

Besides Depp is still an awful singer full stop. Unless you're trying to say Lennon's voice is on par with Depps?

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: Besides Depp is still an awful singer full stop. Unless you're trying to say Lennon's voice is on par with Depps?

Like I said, Johnny Depp sings just fine in the vocal style that he uses. You do not have to have a vocal range or a lot of vocal power to effectively sing in certain vocal styles. It's not my fault that you don't know how to read.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: John Lennon also said, when asked the questions "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world", "he isnt the best drummer in The Beatles". Seemed to bang the head on the nail with that one.

Oh, and since you know nothing about music, that's a reference to the fact that Paul McCartney can play drums and plays them on some of the songs from their self-titled.

Posted by Bebop

Everyone sings just fine in the vocal style they use.
You're right that you don't have a vocal range or a lot of voal power to effectively sing in a certain style. No one is saying otherwise. Pity for Depp it doesnt seem to fit with any style. He even admits that. Many a critic too.
What happened to musicals with voices that fitted the characters and were still enjoyable to listen to? Cartmans singing in the South Park film is an example of this. I just pray to *** that Carter doesnt sing in the film and that you learn to proof before posting.

EDIT: It's a refrence to Paul McCartney playing the drums? Oh wow thats relevant because otherwise...how would Lennon know if Ringos the best player in The Beatles right? HOLY **** wasnt that the whole point of what I said? You know how sometimes when people say stuff its true? Goodness me.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: EDIT: It's a refrence to Paul McCartney playing the drums? Oh wow thats relevant because otherwise...how would Lennon know if Ringos the best player in The Beatles right? HOLY **** wasnt that the whole point of what I said? You know how sometimes when people say stuff its true? Goodness me.

That has nothing to do with this argument since we're talking about people saying that they aren't good singers. John Lennon also said the Beatles meant more to children than Jesus, but it's irrelevant to the discussion.

How about staying on topic like you were complaining about earlier in this thread? You also have **** grammar but you attempt to tell me to learn sentence structure.

Posted by Bebop

Let me take you through whats JUST happened.

I said that even Depp admitted he was a bad singer.

You come out with "lol so did Lennon" as if to say that because people admit they are bad singers doesnt mean they are, as Lennon is a good singer. This is an example of going off topic.

I give example of Ringo being a bad drummer. Example of Lennon telling truth and countering you stupid point. This is done and over with, back on topic now right because where this was going has just ended? Right? Wrong.

You come out with "LOL OBVIOUSLY YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TEH MUZIKS COS YOU WOULD KNOW THATS A REFECNE TO MCCARNET PLAYING TEH DRUMS" which is completly irrelevant. How is this a counter to my point, or even anything remotely new or interesting? It's not. You just wanted to go back off topic. Seriously what was the point in saying this? And how exactly is saying what I just said the basis for me "not understanding" in music?

I honestly can't believe how dumb you are. You moan at me going off topic when its you who started it in the first place and, even after having it resolved, took it straight back there with your 'point' that I still fail to understand what the significence behind it was. Whats the point of telling me something I already know, especially when I've just said it? When your family have breakfast together do you jump up and down on the table like a baboon shrieking "DAD YOUR EATING CORNFLAKS HA I TOLD YOU IM RIGHT WHOO WHOO THATS ADDED TO MY POINT!" or is this behaviour an internet exclusive?

Back on topic Depp cant sing.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: Let me take you through whats JUST happened.

I said that even Depp admitted he was a bad singer.

You come out with "lol so did Lennon" as if to say that because people admit they are bad singers doesnt mean they are, as Lennon is a good singer. This is an example of going off topic.

I give example of Ringo being a bad drummer. Example of Lennon telling truth and countering you stupid point. This is done and over with, back on topic
now right because where this was going has just ended? Right? Wrong.

You come out with "LOL OBVIOUSLY YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TEH MUZIKS COS YOU WOULD KNOW THATS A REFECNE TO MCCARNET PLAYING TEH DRUMS" which is completly irrelevant. How is this a counter to my point, or even anything remotely new or interesting? It's not. You just wanted to go back off topic. Seriously what was the point in saying this? And how exactly is saying what I just said the basis for me "not understanding" in music?

I honestly can't believe how dumb you are. You moan at me going off topic when its you who started it in the first place and, even after having it resolved, took it straight back there with your 'point' that I still fail to understand what the significence behind it was. Whats the point of telling me something I already know, especially when I've just said it? When your family have breakfast together do you jump up and down on the table like a baboon shrieking "DAD YOUR EATING CORNFLAKS HA I TOLD YOU IM RIGHT WHOO WHOO THATS ADDED TO MY POINT!" or is this behaviour an internet exclusive?

Back on topic Depp cant sing.

Do you go out of your way to contradict yourself and attempt to win arguments in real life or is that behavior internet exclusive?

My bringing up Lennon was an example that made sense, as it was showing that just because someone says they can't sing, that doesn't actually mean they're correct.

You veered way off by introducing the thing about drums, so I pointed out that it was something said by John Lennon that wasn't about John Lennon, and so it was irrelevant. I actually had to explain that to you, because you're idiotic and can't grasp the concept of staying on topic when you claim to be an advocate of this in the exact same thread.

Johnny Depp's vocal style is the same between singing and speaking vocal style used by a lot of folk and blues singers, so I guess they're all really bad singers, including the ones that critics think are good at what they do. It's not like he's using a vocal style that hasn't been used or he's unable to use it. Stop presenting your opinions about things as facts. You know, just because you dislike his voice doesn't mean he can't sing. You aren't always right.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Bebop: His voice may suit the stage play but from I've seen it doesnt suit the film.

That makes no ****ing sense at all. If it suits the character in the play, then it suits the character in the movie, since, you know, it's the same character, movie or no. To hell with how well they can sing. If the actor can portray the character as he's meant to be (which they do, btw), then that's all that matters. You're just being an overly critical prick for the sake of being an overly critical prick.

Also, Omni +1 awesomeness

Quoted post: His voice may suit the stage play but from I've seen it doesnt suit the film.

It suits the film quite well actually. Nearly all of the vocals do. They may not be great, but they're perfect for the characters, period and set. And are you saying this having never actually watched the movie?

Seriously though, Bebop is the last person I'd trust for any kind of review or opinion. I should really just lock this thread.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Omni;806210]You veered way off by introducing the thing about drums, so I pointed out that it was something said by John Lennon that wasn't about John Lennon, and so it was irrelevant.

You were trying to use your example to say Depp was a good singer, because other singers sometimes dont think they are good. My example was to show that Lennon right about certain things so you're weak method of trying to use him was easily void. Gosh youre dumb. I'm done with this. I had to explain this to you before and I'm certainly not going to do it again.

[quote=Shade]That makes no ****ing sense at all. If it suits the character in the play, then it suits the character in the movie, since, you know, it's the same character, movie or no.

A play is not a film. Simple as. If Depp was on stage that'd be a different jar of biscuits all together.

The History Boys film uses the exact script from the stage play. Is it a good script? It is very good and witty but doesnt entirely suit the screen as it would a play. Things don't translate completly well from adaption. Just look at the process of taking the book to the screen.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Bebop: You were trying to use your example to say Depp was a good singer, because other singers sometimes dont think they are good. My example was to show that Lennon right about certain things so you're weak method of trying to use him was easily void. Gosh youre dumb. I'm done with this. I had to explain this to you before and I'm certainly not going to do it again.

That sarcastic comment about Ringo doesn't change the fact that John Lennon genuinely thought he was a bad singer, to the point where he wrote extensively about it in his journals and sought counsel from both of his wives on it. Him making a sarcastic comment to the media about someone else's abilities doesn't change the fact that you said, and I quote:

[quote]Depp even admitted he "couldnt carry a note". If the actor admits he cants sing, thats got to count for something.

It doesn't count for anything, because being critical of your own abilities doesn't automatically mean you're bad at something. I have no doubt that Johnny Depp, much like John Lennon, has critiqued someone else's ability to do something in the past in an interview, so I guess his comment is to be taken just as seriously, since both would be equally relevant. Nothing but baseless, unrelated assumptions by you. Making an UNRELATED comment about someone else in the media doesn't mean that all of your comments are to be taken as sarcasm.

[quote]A play is not a film. Simple as. If Depp was on stage that'd be a different jar of biscuits all together.

The History Boys film uses the exact script from the stage play. Is it a good script? It is very good and witty but doesnt entirely suit the screen as it would a play. Things don't translate completly well from adaption. Just look at the process of taking the book to the screen.

If he accurately portrays the character as the character is meant to be portrayed, as in, with a very rouch, almost grating voice, he's doing what he's supposed to do. Not to mention that he's using a perfectly acceptable and established vocal style. So I guess you just don't like his performance. He still played the role to the hilt and did an acceptable job. You don't decide what's acceptable in adaptations of stage plays to screen, because you're not and have never been in any position to tell a writer that they have to change their play for the big screen. There's no rules that say anything has to be changed to suit personal taste, which is what you're clearly expecting.

Your complaint is one of opinion, and never fact. You're also attempting to run around the argument by citing irrelevant comments made by people about unrelated things. You have no basis for complaint beyond your own opinions, which is why nobody in this thread has agreed with you so far.

You didn't like the movie. Other people did, and nobody will agree with you if you present all of your opinions as facts without any base to establish them as such beyond your own personal taste.

Posted by Shade

[quote=bebop]so you're weak method of trying to use him was easily void.

YOUR. F[COLOR=white]U[/COLOR]CKING YOUR. LEARN ENGLISH.

[quote]Gosh youre dumb.

This goes beyond the pot calling the kettle black.

And to wrap it up, you're an idiot. Your (notice, no apostrophe -re) unfailing idiocy has been prevalent in almost every post you've made in this thread. I'm not even going to bother with a counter-argument because all you're (a correct usage of you're, btw) going to come back with is the exact same non-sensical **** you've been spewing. Good day.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Omni;806445]You don't decide what's acceptable in adaptations of stage plays to screen, because you're not and have never been in any position to tell a writer that they have to change their play for the big screen. There's no rules that say anything has to be changed to suit personal taste, which is what you're clearly expecting.

Aside from specualting, what's your basis that you CAN decide what's acceptable in adapatations of stage plays to screen?

Quoted post: Aside from specualting, what's your basis that you CAN decide what's acceptable in adapatations of stage plays to screen?

None, which isn't even her point. She's saying it's the writers and directors who are the only ones who can really say since it's their vision, and otherwise everyone else is just giving an opinion, which is neither right nor wrong.

Unless of course you haven't seen the film, in which case yours would be wrong and baseless.

Posted by Bebop

Ive already said I havent seen the film. Its not out here yet. That doesnt mean things don't translate 100% from media to media.

Haha, oh wow.

Posted by Roger Smith

Lock the thread Vamp, please.

Posted by S

Thread is repeating the old argument, with new people, except Bebop. This is stupid; thread locked.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

just about to do that. use [url=http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=27873&highlight=sweeney+tod]this thread[/url] if you actually want discuss the film without making a massively stupid argument out of it.