Dreams

Posted by Bebop

I figure this was the best board to put this in.

I'm basing a script around dreams and nightmares, including their pros and cons. Would be very grateful if members here could discuss and state their stance on dreams and nightmares.

Would you rather have a nightmare than a dream because you rarely have one? Is the transition from nightmare to reality better than that of dream to reality? Do your dreams alter your perception of the day or your life, of do you downplay the images you've experienced as merely an insignificent mess?

Posted by S

I'd argue they affect us subconsciously, so in that light they do alter our perception of daily life. In the same way that a small action can affect our mood for the rest of the day, and we aren't really cognitive of that change. Besides that though, I'm not too positive on my stance of things.

Posted by Omni

I never almost never remember my dreams, though I'm sure I have them often.

Posted by Ant

I disagree with most of my dreams

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Often I'll wake up from dreams believing what just occurred is actually real. It's been like that all my life, so dreams can be REALLY disappointing to wake up from. So I'd almost rather have nightmares, which I actually haven't had in ages. I'd rather be relieved than disappointed...

Posted by Gollum

Dreams don't mean anything. They're bits of fluff left over from the day. Usually they have to do with something you've seen or thought of over the past few days, and sometimes we associate objects or feelings with things we've recently seen and dream about those. In either case, they're meaningless.

Of course, some of the best times I've ever had were in lucid dreams, so I absolutely love dreaming. I can usually recall a dream once every 2 days, and I have lucid dreams once or twice a month.

I don't think many people are going to choose to have frequent nightmares. But when you wake up from a nightmare, you feel relieved, and usually when you wake up from a good dream, you want to go back into it. But the feeling of knowing you were having a good dream is a lot better than the feeling of waking up from a horrible situation.

blah blah blah, my bad.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;787877]Often I'll wake up from dreams believing what just occurred is actually real. so dreams can be REALLY disappointing to wake up from.

I do the same except I dream about getting some action :cool:....video games that is.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I think nightmares in particular can influence us in reality. About a year ago, I had a dream about velociraptors trying to attack my family and I. Now I get really uncomfortable whenever I see dinosaurs in the media.

Guess I won't be buying the new Turok. :(

Posted by I Want A Sandwich

Personally, dreams are either really simple, or really complicated.

One time I had a dream where I saw myself sleeping in my bed, and all of the sudden, two duck heads sprouted out of my own head. So I go to the shower, and try and wash them off with shampoo. And that was the dream.

But another time, I had a super elaborate dream involving one person who I hadn't talked to in forever, one person I kinda knew, and one person who was my best friend, and myself, going on an excellent adventure.

They're all over the place and generally don't mean much. Nightmares in particular are just visions of old **** that happened or the embodiment of fear of something else scary happening. But, really, nothing much there.

I'd rather have a duck dream than a nightmare though.

Posted by Shade

Dreams, on the chance that I may be lucid during them. That ****'s the best.

Quoted post: I think nightmares in particular can influence us in reality. About a year ago, I had a dream about velociraptors trying to attack my family and I. Now I get really uncomfortable whenever I see dinosaurs in the media.

I had a dream about my stepdad killing my family a long time ago. I was constantly uncomfortable around him after that. So I agree with you completely.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nightmares cause me to lose sleep and are therefore inconvenient.

Also, I fail to see the argument here.

Probably because there is no argument? idk

Posted by Wind_Disciple

I agree with dreams/nightmares having some certain effects on us.
One particular dream changed me completely. From bad to good, I'd rather
not go into details though. When I was young I could easily control
my dreams and nightmares, not completely though.
Anyway nowadays I barely remember my dreams. Its kinda sad.
I want to have that dream again.. the one where I was dragon,
flying through the sky and devouring unfortunate souls who
stumble along my path.

Posted by Xenos

Ninety-percent of my dreams are always nightmares and I always remember them clearly. Sometimes, like Vampiro, I believe that they are true for a period of time and wake up completely panicked. It takes me a few minutes to realize I was dreaming. I can recall one time where I thought I was late to work and I woke up. I was in complete chaos when I looked at the clock after getting dressed, realizing that it was only 2 AM ...

Posted by Borealis

I often don't like having nice dreams or nightmares, I just like having a dream that is neither awful or appealing. As everyone's agreed, nice dreams are often disappointing after you've woken up, and nightmares are a total panic during after shortly after; I'm not a fan. For me, I just like having stories go through my mind so I'll go through my sleep without the feeling of just sleeping three minutes from night to morning (which I hate).

But if I'd have to choose, I'd usually rather have nice dreams because everything is originated from my own thoughts, so it just gives me hope; plus I've had several dreams happen in real life relatively to how I've dreamt them, not often though.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=I Want A Sandwich;788007]Personally, dreams are either really simple, or really complicated.

One time I had a dream where I saw myself sleeping in my bed, and all of the sudden, two duck heads sprouted out of my own head. So I go to the shower, and try and wash them off with shampoo. And that was the dream.

But another time, I had a super elaborate dream involving one person who I hadn't talked to in forever, one person I kinda knew, and one person who was my best friend, and myself, going on an excellent adventure.

They're all over the place and generally don't mean much. Nightmares in particular are just visions of old **** that happened or the embodiment of fear of something else scary happening. But, really, nothing much there.

I'd rather have a duck dream than a nightmare though.

I barely remember some of my dreams and I later get deja vu and the dream pieces back together.

Quoted post: I can recall one time where I thought I was late to work and I woke up. I was in complete chaos when I looked at the clock after getting dressed, realizing that it was only 2 AM ...

I find myself doing that surprisingly often. Easily one of the more annoying things that come out of my dreams.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I had a dream about my stepdad killing my family a long time ago. I was constantly uncomfortable around him after that. So I agree with you completely.

This dream I had about my dad being really violent led to me being scared to talk to him for a few days. In my dream he smoked a lot, and when I woke up I convinced myself that he had been smoking for years. So somehow I rationalized that if I could prove he didn't really smoke, then I could be sure my dream hadn't actually happened.

I ended up asking him about it like 3 days later, scared out of my mind. That's definitely the strongest effect a dream has ever had on me. Other than that, dreams will lead me to believe I've had certain conversations with people, or gotten things that in reality I don't own.

Yeah, conversations and the like are my main issue. Leads to awkward moments when I'll bring up conversations that didn't actually take place.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... Like dreaming that Snake was riding Metal Gear Rex.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Bebop:
Would you rather have a nightmare than a dream because you rarely have one?

No definitely not. I hate waking up from a nightmare. I don't like what I see in my nightmares most of the time. Horrible images. And I remember them all the time. My dreams I'll forget about them.
And the little parts of my dreams that I remember usually have absoultely no link with what happened during my day.

Posted by cool gamer dad

There's not a lot to my dreams. I'm convinced that they're a reflection of what I've done earlier that day, with a small mix of what I wish I could have done that day. I'd say around 80% of them include all of the following:

- Drinking
- Playing shotun gamez with some friends
- Sex. But not always the act itself. Usually just thinking about it.

Pretty much it. Every once in a while I'll have a dream about space, or I'll be out in the street but I can see space, only completely distorted. Then I'll see a giant asteroid. I wake up much more refreshed when having one of those dreams!

The only time I wake up disappointed is when I really think I have something in a dream (like a really rare video game etc.), and I actually go for awhile awake until I realize it was a dream! Angry kitty.

Quoted post: ... Like dreaming that Snake was riding Metal Gear Rex.

Reality is so disappointing.

Posted by Fate

My nightmares usually stem from real life experiences or my greatest non-physical fears. I'd rather not wake up crying. On that note, I don't have good dreams, just weird ones. I understand there's supposed to be some significance, but I don't understand it.

The latest one I had was a mixture of work, Beautiful Katamari, and Dead Rising. The setting is of me in the Entrance Plaza (the one where you enter it for the second time and it's empty). There's a whole bunch of receipts and paper on the floor, which comes from the clerical part of my job. The Katamari part comes in when I have to roll up all the receipts into a giant ball.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I had a dream about having sex in a graveyard last night, and woke up thinking 'OH MY ***, I CANT LET PEOPLE KNOW I'VE DONE IT IN A GRAVEYARD'.

Creeeeepy.

Posted by ExoXile

Had a dream I was in the bathtub, stuck my head under the water and I pretty much drowned.

Woke up gasping for air, my heart pounding like nothing else.
Happened today.

Might quite possibly be the most uncomfortable dream I have ever had.

Otherwise it's always great havin' them awesome I go fornicating with my gal.

Nightmares are usually awesome, too.

Except yesterday, yesterday was really uncomfortable. :(

Posted by Xero

Does anyone dream about VGC sometimes? Or members from VGC?

I think I get one of those every month. But I can't remember exactly what happens in them. Something about posts and rep most of the time.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah. I had a dream I was playing R6V with the Xbots crew.

CREEPY.

Yeah, if I dream about shootdan games it's pretty likely a VGC Xbot will show up.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I remember having a dream about the start of the 'All Ghillied Up' mission in COD4 just after it was previewed at E3...

Posted by misogenie

I yelled out loud to snap out of my Nightmare on Elm St-like dream when I was 12 years old. I couldn't move my arms and legs. It's as if Earth's gravity, or someone like Freddy with black magic, had pinned me down. I'm now a fearless mature adult and bad dreams are nothing more than a short horror movie scene.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Reality is so disappointing.

Not if you wake up from a nightmare ;-)

Do people enjoy the unpredictive nature od dreams which seem to flow one subjects bizzarly in little or no coherent manner, or would people prefer to have full control over their dreams?

The former for sure. I've rarely had a dream I had full control over, and if you ask me, that kinda ruins the fun of a dream.

Posted by Skitzo Control

You people make it too easy...

I hate dreaming because when you want to sleep, you want to sleep. Dreaming is work. Next thing you know, I have to build a go cart with my ex-landlord.

RIP MITCH

Posted by Xenos

I wish I had a dream I have full control over, but most of the time its like watching a movie for me.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: The former for sure. I've rarely had a dream I had full control over, and if you ask me, that kinda ruins the fun of a dream.

You kidding? Makes them so much more fun. You can do pretty much anything you want to. It's like being God for a few hours.

Every time I've had control over my dream it's sucked pretty hardcore. **** some hot chick, fly, fly and **** hot chick, play video games while flying. Whatever. Plus, my dreams are pretty *****ing anyways and I'm usually doing something I'd do if I had control over them.

Posted by S

Hey, aren't you still pretending to be gay?

Posted by Linkman

Having control over your dreams is hard, but possible. Because it's just your unconscious mind goofing off while you conscious mind is shut down, you have to REALLY focus on a subject for a long time and hope your unconscious mind sticks to it while you sleep. Also explains why most people's dreams are weird and make no sense. Just combinations of fears, hobbies, and interests.

I learned that on Beakman's World a looooong time ago. Used to love that show. :p

Me; I can never predict what I'm gonna dream about, if I dream at all. Never really have nightmares, but I do have really weird dreams sometimes.

Posted by ExoXile

I can always control my dreams, which is awesome.
Especially when they're nightmares.

But like Linkman, I almost never dream anymore, neither good nor bad ones. :(

Quoted post: Hey, aren't you still pretending to be gay?

No. I had my laugh.

Posted by Shade

I knew it.

So is Omni still a girl, or has he had his fun?

Posted by Omni

Only the Vamp being gay thing was a joke. I posted that because I came into the thread and like five people were asking if he was gay because one person asked him. He didn't even know I said it for a while.

Quoted post: I knew it.

drrr. Even if I was gay I wouldn't say tell anyone here. I just thought the random post out of nowhere asking me if I was gay was hilarious. Didn't expect anyone to buy it. HIGH FIVE QUEEN WOOOO

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]I usually dream about fighting zombies, flying, sex, stupid mundane things, or having stupid mundane sex while fighting flying zombies.[/COLOR]

Posted by Gollum

Quoting ExoXile: I can always control my dreams, which is awesome.
Especially when they're nightmares.

But like Linkman, I almost never dream anymore, neither good nor bad ones. :(

You dream about once for every 90 minutes of sleep, on average, every night. You just don't remember. :)

Posted by Shade

Anybody ever had a dream where a **** load of time passed inside of the dream? One time I actually lived through over a month inside of a dream, and was ****ing surprised when I woke up.

Most my dreams take place of the course of a few days it seems.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Gollum;793823]You dream about once for every 90 minutes of sleep, on average, every night. You just don't remember. :)
I knew that.

I just don't consider unconscious dreams, 'dreams.'

Posted by Slade

Quoting ExoXile: But like Linkman, I almost never dream anymore, neither good nor bad ones. :(

You're dreaming, you just don't remember it. Best way to remember your dreams is to change your sleep schedule, or just wake up at a different time than usual and see if you remember what you dreamt. You pretty much have to wake up in the middle of dreaming to remember it.

As for lots of time passing, I used to wake up and turn off my alarm clock, then fall back asleep for 30 minutes almost every day. Sometimes within those 30 minutes I'd dream through my whole day, and be ****ed when I woke up because I had to go do it again.

Posted by ExoXile

I know.

That's why you can hear your alarm in yer dream, etc.

Quoted post: I just don't consider unconscious dreams, 'dreams.'

aren't all dreams technically "unconscious dreams"?

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;793889]aren't all dreams technically "unconscious dreams"?
Technically, yes.
But I consider the ones you actually remember, 'dreams.'

The other ones don't really matter.

IMHO.

Posted by Shade

If you remember it, it happened.

Is the opposite true? Ohhhh

Posted by Pit

I dream of Shades mother.

Posted by ExoXile

Bad dream?

Posted by Shade

Quoting Pit: I dream of Shades mother.

I dream of you with my mother.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Mr. Awesome;792642][COLOR=Navy]I usually dream about fighting zombies, flying, sex, stupid mundane things, or having stupid mundane sex while fighting flying zombies.[/COLOR]

You are a god, please teach me.

Posted by Pit

Quoting ExoXile: Bad dream?

Wet dream.

Posted by ExoXile

Sexy.

Posted by Shade

It wouldn't be, but Pit more than makes up for my mom's horrendous appearance.