Back to zero

Posted by Xero

Yesterday, I wanted to go look at some drawings on Deviant Art, but it said that I needed the most recent version of Safari to be able to look at anything.
So I looked for updates and it offered me the Safari version I was looking for. The computer was installing it, but something went wrong and it had to cancel it. My computer started to be really slow and some programs wouldn't open up anymore.
I shut it down and restarted it, but it wouldn't load. It would stick to the little apple that appears after you open up the computer. I left to go play some Wind Waker and came back 45 minutes later to see if it finally started up, but no! It was still that little apple on the screen. I restarted it a few more times and it still wasn't working. So my laptop's already down after 3 months (since I bought it) and all that because I wanted to update my Safari. **** yeah.
So I went to Future Shop today and asked them to tell me what the **** happened and they had no clue either. They pressed on a bunch of keys while starting up the computer again, but nothing worked. So now I left it in their hands and I'm suppose to come in 2 hours to see if it works fine again.
If it doesn't, it means I will have to install Mac OS X all over again.
What does that mean? I'll be back to zero. No Firefox, no images, no music, no last.fm radio and no MSN. I'll have to get all those back.
Firefox? I can get that back no problem. Takes me 2 minutes.
Images? Some I won't be able to find again, and some I will find. Doesn't matter that much.
Last.fm radio? It'll take me 2 minutes to get it back.
No MSN? I can find a link to the most recent version. Thank *** for that.
No music? That's where I'm annoyed, because I had a lot of downloaded music on my laptop and if I lose it all, it'll take me quite a while to get all of it back.
If I have to start over, it means I have to get nearly all the Aphex Twin I had, a couple of U-ziq albums and many Venetian Snares albums, David Bowie, Beck, Summoning, Mystic Forest, I:Cube, Chevron and Squarepusher. And I probably forgot some.
And seeing as most links probably expired, I really don't feel like asking for those files to everyone again.
So the only thing that really upsets me is that I probably lost a **** load of music and did not make a backup of any albums on my USB key. At least I didn't have any important documents on my computer yet.

**** happens.

I wasn't suppose to be posting before a little while, but I just had to share this with you. Bye now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It definitely sucks, but a year or so ago when I had to reformat, losing all my music was kinda refreshing. I had about 11,000 songs, but I only listened to around 3,000 of them regularly, at most. Reformatting allowed me to refine what songs I put on my PC.

Posted by Xero

Well thank *** for that technician. He was able to get my laptop to work again. It's starts up much slower than it used to (takes about 60 seconds now. Used to take 20) and my Safari still isn't working. But Firefox is. So I still have all my files and everything works fine (just slower) except Safari. I'll see what the problem is for that program later tonight.

Lucky me. This time.

Posted by Corrupt

I'm glad that the problem has been at least somewhat resolved. And if it still does come down to us having to upload anything for you again for any reason, I know I'll be more than happy to.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I thought I had lost all my music when my computer crashed back in October, luckily it was just the motherboard and not the harddrive. I bought a USB device (along with a new computer) that would upload my harddrive into the new computer, saving me room for a brand new harddrive in the new computer case. I got one good night of use from the device, finding out the next morning one of my dogs had chewed right through the wires. Though I rescued my music, I hadn't uploaded my downloaded software or save data.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If it ever happens again you can just extract your files from your hard drive by hooking it up to a hub and then reformatting. As long as the hard drive is still good you can always get your files from it, and even if your hard drive fails you can still recover data assuming it's not a mechanical failure. So there's not much to worry about in that case.

The problem I've noticed with apple updates is that if something goes wrong mid-update and you have to shut down your computer or cancel it it could potentially cause a ton of problems.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

The problem I've noticed with apple updates is that if something goes wrong mid-update and you have to shut down your computer or cancel it it could potentially cause a ton of problems.

Yeah it's not the first time an update went wrong. But this time it became like....major.
But now I did an update on my whole Mac OS X and so I have a better version that comes with Safari 3. So now my internet works fine again and I have a new version for my processor. Yay.

Everything's back to normal.

And Corrupt, it's good to know that you'd be ready to re-upload about 20 albums for me :) I'll keep that in mind.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: As long as the hard drive is still good you can always get your files from it, and even if your hard drive fails you can still recover data assuming it's not a mechanical failure.

The electronics on my brother's hard drive fried for some reason, once. He managed to replace them using another hard drive. So pretty much as long as the disk is intact, it's possible to save your files.

Electronic failure is a tad different than mechanical. Bit more difficult and I've noticed the chances of success are slimmer, if only because a mechanical failure appears to **** up the disc really bad if you don't catch it right away. Either way, it's generally a bad idea to fix them on your own, if only because you really want to be in a clean room if you're opening up a drive.

Posted by Slade

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention he does this stuff for a living, so he was decked out with everything he needed, including a static/dust free working space.

Oh, well there you go. But I doubt Chris has one of those...

Posted by Xero

No I don't.

WOULD BE PRETTY WEIRD IF YOU DID

Posted by Slade

yeah I would've been like "wow"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Disk drive is the only thing on a computer I haven't changed/installed before. I should try it out sometime for the lulz

pretty ****in easy

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The internals of a computer is just like a big Lego board.