COD4 or Mass Effect

Posted by Rhea

Well I'm somewhat tired of halo now so I was looking for another game to pick up and start playing. What do you guys recommend? Call of Duty 4 or should I get Mass Effect when it comes out?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

COD4. It's so good that I know Mass Effect won't beat it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Previews of Mass Effect aren't looking quite as hot as we were all expecting right now. Most of the 1Up crew are a little down on it and it seems to be pretty short (ranging from 12 hours to quickly finish it to 20 hours to do nearly everything.) So I'd suggest CoD4 since it's out now and an amazing game.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

What, it's only looking that short? How disappointing. Still, I really doubt it will be bad.

I'd get CoD4 and rent Mass Effect if I were you. You're going to get a ton of replay value out of CoD.

Posted by Shade

Mass Effect doesn't look too great. COD4.

Posted by Rhea

Alright, thanks. I was leaning more toward COD4 so this pretty much solidified my decision.

Quoted post: What, it's only looking that short? How disappointing. Still, I really doubt it will be bad.

Not saying bad, just not as good. I can already tell I'm going to be ****ed off since only a couple of the classes are worth playing (sup, Vanguard) since the rest make some latter missions impossible to play; your inventory is horribly gimped cause you can only carry 80 items and if you go past that, anything you collect afterwards HAS to be deleted. It puts you in a screen with all your new loot and forces you to delete all these badass items you just worked for until you have enough to carry with you. You can't even go back into your old items and delete from there.

Oh, and you can't interrupt conversations anymore. And the side-quests are apparently the worst in just about any game ever and you rarely get awarded for doing any of them. Little things like that end up having a big impact.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

Yeah COD4, and while you are at it go ahead and pick me a copy up too. i will buy you left 4 dead or RE5, when it comes out.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not saying bad, just not as good. I can already tell I'm going to be ****ed off since only a couple of the classes are worth playing (sup, Vanguard) since the rest make some latter missions impossible to play; your inventory is horribly gimped cause you can only carry 80 items and if you go past that, anything you collect afterwards HAS to be deleted. It puts you in a screen with all your new loot and forces you to delete all these badass items you just worked for until you have enough to carry with you. You can't even go back into your old items and delete from there.

Oh, and you can't interrupt conversations anymore. And the side-quests are apparently the worst in just about any game ever and you rarely get awarded for doing any of them. Little things like that end up having a big impact.

Oh man, that puts a damper on things. What's happening, Bioware?

Posted by Shade

[quote]Little things like that end up having a big impact.

So they have a massive effect? Hahaha...

I just died a little inside.

Quoted post: What's happening, Bioware?

Not entirely surprised. This is their first big project that's a brand new IP (Jade Empire doesn't really count) and they go into massive depth with just about every character and item within the game, then there's all the dialogue and character interactions and just about everything else that goes into making a huge game like Mass Effect. So yeah, I guess I can't be all that surprised. It's a shame, but it's still pretty good from the sounds of it. Just not AAA caliber anymore.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Up until a few months ago, I assumed it was gonna be a mediocre space RPG, thankfully my expectations are low...

Mediocre from Bioware? I think not.

Whatever, I'll still get it.

I'll probably just play it at my friend's like I do with most games. I was really looking forward to doing it on my own time though, but idk if it'll even be worth the money.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

So much for the November rush of quality games...

Mass Effect is quality. It's easily one of the best looking and most advanced games out there, it just seems to be a little rough around the edges when it comes to a couple game mechanics. Another victim of hype this holiday season.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

9.6 from Gametrailers and 9.4 from IGN. Their reviews usually sit well with me, so I'm pretty sure it's gonna kick ***.

Yeah, wouldn't doubt it. I just know certain aspects are going to annoy me.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Whaaaa? A hugely ambitious game falling short of expectations? THAT NEVER HAPPENS! ...Fable...
---
I'd take CoD4. Not since Halo:CE have I enjoyed a game to the point where I can't wait to get back home so I can play it. Sure, it's just another shooter. Sure, it's just another war game. Sure, it's the same ol' thing that Call of Duty has been for a long time. But, OH MY GOD, it's fun.

Posted by Moogs

The Gaming Center I work at picked it up Saturday so I work today and will probably play it today.

Nothing will take over my CoD4 though.

Quoted post: Whaaaa? A hugely ambitious game falling short of expectations? THAT NEVER HAPPENS! ...Fable...

Turns out it's a ****ing awesome game. Definitely not a failure like Fable.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Fable would have been a good game if Pete Molenyeux hadn't been all like 'YOU'RE GONNA SEE TREES GROW UP'

I loved my old man holy warrior...

Turned out your dude was the only thing that grew. And even that was pretty underwhelming.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Your wife never grew old, which was pretty awesome (for the character).

Posted by Moogs

I love the game... It's funny how before we were all saying it would fail and now we all like it. hah

Posted by Kit

I liked my mohawk grandad wizard dark warrior light assassin.

Posted by The Pain

That's a really weird question. I mean... you should get CoD4 if your wanting a new multiplayer shooter, which is always good. Get Mass Effect if your wanting a new single player RPG experience.

Posted by karateteen14

if you like rpgs, get mass effect but if you like shooters, get call of duty 4. I'm going with mass effect

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=The Pain;786946]CoD4 if your wanting a new multiplayer shooter, which is always good. Get Mass Effect if your wanting a new single player RPG experience.
CoD4 has a deep single player and multiplayer. Mass Effect only has one. CALL OF DUTY 4 WINS

Mass Effect should be your definite second choice, though.

Mass Effect has a decent amount of shootan too, though.