Philosophy versus Religion

Posted by PROF CHAOS

Definition of religion from Dictionary.com

[quote][b]re

Posted by ExoXile

Stop looking at stuff in black and white.

Posted by S

Atheism requires faith. Faith is the anti-thesis to logic in religious terms. Atheism is by no means logical, in some regard it takes on similar ignorant notions that religious bodies accept as creed. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out here, but if you're trying to align them with said definitions, you've got them wrong. Philosophy and religion are not a duality, they are not exclusive from one another. Religions have philosophy backing them. Religion, for all intents and purposes, is a solidified state of spirituality in which a mass of people hold similar values; one that requires certain aspects to be respected and specific norms upheld. Atheism lacks that, and it lacks a cohesive conjecture on creation (I.E. Mythology.), so it really cannot be considered a religion. It is merely a denial of other religions based on faith, in the same way religions deny their peers.

It is a faith and a philosophy, but not a religion because it makes no claims aside from denial.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Neither is superior. Religion, philosophy and science are all inter-dependent. Pretty much as simple as that.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting ExoXile: Stop looking at stuff in black and white.

Indeed

Posted by Ridley_04

[Quote]Actually the difference between Chistianity and Athiest is actually one would believe in the spiritual (Christianity) versus the other believes in the rational (Athiest). That seems to be the main difference in the two definitions of religion versus philosophy.

You can't believe in the rational. You can accept it as being a logical answer to a problem, but, while spirituality is something that people can relate to, the definition of good versus evil, and right versus wrong, rationality is the logical answer to good, evil, right, wrong. Rationality is a term to define things.

But, while these days Philosophy is about science, it was (and still is with me) a religious perspective on sience. Philosophy was the scientifical explaination of ***'s work.

Athiests do indeed have a religion, system of beliefs. Everyone does. But the true difference with Athiesm is whether there is something bigger controlling what is happening in those beliefs, or whether it happens on its own accord.

Posted by Linko_16

Quick question: how many people here have ever taken a class in philosophy?

I'm about to finish up my first (and probably only) philosophy class, and while I can hardly say I'm an expert, I can say that it's wildly different than what most people think it is.

Posted by S

Quoting Ridley_04: You can't believe in the rational. You can accept it as being a logical answer to a problem, but, while spirituality is something that people can relate to, the definition of good versus evil, and right versus wrong, rationality is the logical answer to good, evil, right, wrong. Rationality is a term to define things.

But, while these days Philosophy is about science, it was (and still is with me) a religious perspective on sience. Philosophy was the scientifical explaination of ***'s work.

Atheists do indeed have a religion, system of beliefs. Everyone does. But the true difference with Atheism is whether there is something bigger controlling what is happening in those beliefs, or whether it happens on its own accord.

You know, except... not. Certain sects of Agnosticism do not have a religion; and that's ignoring the fact that I already outlined how atheism lacks the necessities to be considered a religion.

Equally, science was born from philosophy, so its not the fact that philosophy aligns to today's science, but science was founded via philosophy and so its of no surprise that they are of like-kind. Most, if not all, -ogy's were founded on the basis of Philosophy and its principals. Philosophy is now the mass of ideas that don't cohere to any particular study.

Linko: I've taken quite a few philosophy classes.

The X: It's not true that the three entities are inter-dependent. They all attempt to explain the same thing, yes, but that doesn't make them dependent on one another at all. To acquiese something like that is to lose scientific integrity. It would require science to actualize a particular religion in order for the two to be inter-dependent. And that probably won't happen unless some form of upper-dimensional being comes down and ***-smacks us across the face.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Linko_16

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Quick question: how many people here have ever taken a class in philosophy?

I took it all throughout high school and a year in university. Good times. Anywho, thread topic sucks and has been done to death. Not interesting.

Posted by Speedfreak

Athiesm is refusing to believe anything we don't have proof of. I don't see how that's illogical, Solrok.

Atheists are starting to open up their own "churches" with, what amounts to, their own "prophets." They might as well be another religion at this point. That's illogical.

Posted by S

Quoting Speedfreak: Athiesm is refusing to believe anything we don't have proof of. I don't see how that's illogical, Solrok.

Refusing to believe != Denial of. Atheists DENY the existence of the Christian God (And many others, but since this is the one used so far.), or at least a large majority do. Even if this is a mathematical improbability of existing, denying it is making an assumption - and adhering to that assumption requires faith.

Posted by Arwon

I suppose it requires "faith" to doubt the Celestial Teapot, too?

Posted by WillisGreeny

What I believe is closely tied to what Sol said, that Philosophy and Religion have a uniqe relationship with each other, making it impossible to really say which one is better since they are essentially the same thing.

As for Faith I think of this flow chart (not perfect, just a start);

Desperation => Faith => Hope => Confidence.

Posted by xuclo

I would definitely switch hope and faith.

With confidence and faith, you're sure of something.

Now, if you really are sure of it, you don't need to be desperate, and you don't need to hope for it. See what I mean?

"I have confidence that it is so."
"I have faith that it is so."
"I hope that it is so."
"If it isn't so I'll ****ing kill myself right ****ing here."

Posted by WillisGreeny

Alright, new flow chart;

Desperation => Hope => Faith => Confidence

Posted by xuclo

xuclo approves :D

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: Athiesm is refusing to believe anything we don't have proof of. I don't see how that's illogical, Solrok.

Atheism is not having any beliefs, not refusing to believe. Refusing to believe anything without proof is pretty much a loose description of agnosticism.

Posted by WillisGreeny

They believe in proof.

Posted by Shade

Who does? BE MORE SPECIFIC

Posted by WillisGreeny

ATHEISTS

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Shade: Atheism is not having any beliefs, not refusing to believe.

Perhaps more accurately, Atheism is having a belief, it's just the belief that there is no such thing as divine power. But, yeah, refusing to believe anything without proof is agnosticism.

EDIT - Triple ninja'd. Strictly speaking, athiests don't have proof that there is no *** any more than Christians do that there is ***. You're still confusing them with agnostics.

No. I'd say the difference is Atheists KNOW there is no higher power. There's no question. Whereas religion is the belief that there's a ***. Knowing whether a *** was there or not would defeat the entire purpose of Christianity and the like. Hence "Sola Fide." That would be the main difference if you ask me. If you want, you could say the lack of proof is proof enough for Atheists.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No. I'd say the difference is Atheists KNOW there is no higher power. There's no question.

They think they know, perhaps, but by any worthwhile definition of knowledge they don't. Their justification is often that the believers bear the burden of proof... but as you've said, theists don't operate on proof (though oddly enough, some think they have it anyway), so the atheists assert that it simply follows that their beliefs are entirely untrue. By this right, they think they know there is no ***, but it really just means we don't know there is a ***.

No one knows, that's the point. The lack of knowledge is the proof in their case. It's not that believers have the burden of proof, it's that the believers don't have proof.

Point is, most Atheists know jack**** about anything anyways.

Posted by Linko_16

That's basically what I was saying by "burden of proof."

Theists: "I believe there is."

Atheists: "There's no proof that there is, so there isn't."

Agnostics: "There's no proof of either, so I don't really know if there is or isn't."

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Voltaire was the only cool atheist.
that's all I have the interest to say

Posted by Arwon

Hmm.

[quote]If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

Posted by xuclo

There's no proof of a divine power, but there's no proof against a divine power, either. I think that's a fact overlooked by some people.

As stated before, you can't "know" something without proof. You can only believe. So really, atheists only believe there is no such thing as g-o-d. You can't know that. You can pretend you do, but some people just don't like to think. :)

Quoted post: There's no proof of a divine power, but there's no proof against a divine power, either.

Except, you know, there doesn't need to be proof that a g[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d doesn't exist if there's no proof one does exist.

Posted by xuclo

How do you figure? It's hard for either side to claim that they're right without anything to back it up, so until we die (or through some kind of insane miracle, some proof does come up) nobody's going to know for sure. We're just going to have to stick to confidence, faith, hope and desperation. :)

Posted by PROF CHAOS

[quote]If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

sorta like the belief of a Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well that was just an argument against the teaching of Intelligent Design.

Quoted post: How do you figure? It's hard for either side to claim that they're right without anything to back it up, so until we die (or through some kind of insane miracle, some proof does come up) nobody's going to know for sure. We're just going to have to stick to confidence, faith, hope and desperation.

Why would you have to disprove something that hasn't been proven to exist?

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;779796]Voltaire was the only cool atheist.
He really wasn't one.

For some reason I thought that was the point of BJ's post.

Posted by ExoXile

Well, his statement was wrong, then.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Arwon: Hmm.

you do realize I could say the same thing for half of your beloved science, right?

Posted by S

Science's main assumption: All things are consistant and can be tested at any given time.

However, BJ, Science is constantly evolving based on the fact that it's created by humans who are working off of massive assumptions (Like the above.). Science, if it is capable, will basically resemble the correct creed, should it ever be provable.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Why would you have to disprove something that hasn't been proven to exist?

Because so many people claim that it's an absolute fact that it does exist.

Technically you don't have to, but it would help to shut a lot of them up.

Even with solid undeniable proof that there is no dog, some people would still swear there is one.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting xuclo: Because so many people claim that it's an absolute fact that it does exist.

This shouldn't be a good enough reason, but sadly enough, it is.

Posted by S

It's truthiness.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Linko_16: That's basically what I was saying by "burden of proof."

Theists: "I believe there is."

Atheists: "There's no proof that there is, so there isn't."

Agnostics: "There's no proof of either, so you can't know if there is or isn't."

edited.

"So I don't know if..." Would be weak agnosticism, as it implies that somebody else could know.

Posted by Arwon

I'm sorry, are people seriously equating the empirical validity of the scientific method with the empirical validity of religious faith?

Posted by S

No.

Posted by I Want A Sandwich

Quoting Arwon: I'm sorry, are people seriously equating the empirical validity of the scientific method with the empirical validity of religious faith?

Welcome to America, baby. Where the president thinks that *** himself wanted him in office.

I'm sorry, if *** wanted Bush in the white house... we are a lot more ****ed than people think.

Why'd they censor g0d? That's weird...

Quoted post: Because so many people claim that it's an absolute fact that it does exist.

But there's no proof, so there you go.

Posted by pc_gamer22

are you talking about the power of the geforce 8800 gtx and physx?

People don't need to have proof to have faith. Faith is exactly that: belief in the absence of evidence.

Not to say I think its logical... cuz I don't. But if you get enough people thinking that it is reasonable to have faith in a certain deity, it becomes religion, and would therefore become fact to those people.

It's a stupid process, really.

Posted by Omni

I don't really believe in God. Even if he was real, he seems to be uncaring and unfriendly at times, not to mention prone to hardcore mood swings, so I'm not really sure I'd want to spend an eternity with him.

Posted by Linko_16

As an agnostic myself, I've adopted the position that if there is a ***, then He probably never interferes with the world at all, not because he's uncaring or whatever, but because that would make life as a test of whether or not you deserve to get into heaven utterly useless. Makes most sense to me to see if you can stay a good person despite all the things in the world that can corrupt you (poverty and misfortune convincing you that there is no *** looking out for you and forcing you to turn to crime, wealth making you greedy and selfish, et cetera). If he reached in and helped some people just because they pray for it, well, what sense is that? Magic wishes a good person does not make.

Not that I'm all that convinced that there's a ***. Plus this is vastly different from what most of Christianity teaches, which is that all you have to do to make it into heaven is accept Jesus as your savior. But whatever.

Posted by Shade

I agree with you. While I am a theist, I do believe that *** doesn't intervene with the matters of the universe at all. He created it, then let it be.

Quoted post: People don't need to have proof to have faith. Faith is exactly that: belief in the absence of evidence.

That was established quite awhile ago, thanks.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: But there's no proof, so there you go.

There's no proof either way.

I just realized that versus is misspelled in the thread's title.

Quoted post: There's no proof either way.

Exactly.

Posted by xuclo

There are still people on both sides that claim, without any actual evidence, that their beliefs on the matter are fact. There is no evidence supporting either side and I doubt there ever will be, in a physical/measurable/"scientifically acceptable" form.

There's no evidence supporting a g[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d, so there's no evidence needed to disprove a g[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d.

in short: one of the stupidest arguments on this topic. and old and boring

Posted by xuclo

We're not actually disagreeing on that point. Why are we still going off on it? lol

You're saying atheists need proof that *** doesn't exist, I'm saying Atheists don't need proof if there is no proof of *** existing to begin with. Thus I'm disagreeing.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=dictionary.com]
scientific method
n. The principles and empirical processes of discovery and demonstration considered characteristic of or necessary for scientific investigation, generally involving the observation of phenomena, the formulation of a hypothesis concerning the phenomena, experimentation to demonstrate the truth or falseness of the hypothesis, and a conclusion that validates or modifies the hypothesis.

My astronomy professor said once in lecture that experiments are only able to prove a hypothesis wrong, never do they prove them right. For example; Dropping an apple 4ft and seeing it accelerate disproves a theory saying apples fall at a constant speed. However, It doesn't prove my hypothesis that invisible microbes known as gravitolies are jumping on the apple as it falls, making it fall faster because of the extra weight (I know this is inaccurate ).

If a person strongly believes in science, they're more likely to be agnostic since, as already been said by a lot of you, there's no way to prove *** does or doesn't exist. Science hasn't yet made an experiment disproving creationism or evolution, so under the "believing science" philosophy it says we must accept them both as being plausable.

tl:dr

Whatever Vamp or Solrok said.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You're saying atheists need proof that *** doesn't exist, I'm saying Atheists don't need proof if there is no proof of *** existing to begin with. Thus I'm disagreeing.

If I said that, I should've put it differently. However, in order to claim that g-o-d does or does not exist, you do need proof. I can say I have a 24-inch long penis, but with no proof, that would be something you'd have to assume on faith, which is what atheists and religious people do when it comes to the big boss upstairs.

Or, you know, I don't have to disprove anything that isn't proven. idk

anywho, this argument is still stupid

Posted by Arwon

Nobody has proven that Zeus doesn't exist, yet you're all Zeus-atheists. Nobody has proven Shiva and Kali don't exist, yet you're all atheists to Hindu mythology. Same with Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Xenu and Thor.

You're all atheists.

Some of us just go one g-d further.

Posted by S

And some of us don't deny their existence period. Ra is just as likely as Yahweh. They're both scientifically improbable... but there's no such thing as 100% in Science.

Posted by xuclo

I wouldn't say scientifically improbable, but improvable. If that's even a word.

[quote]Nobody has proven that Zeus doesn't exist, yet you're all Zeus-atheists. Nobody has proven Shiva and Kali don't exist, yet you're all atheists to Hindu mythology. Same with Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Xenu and Thor.

You're all atheists.

Some of us just go one g-d further.

Lol I'm definitely not an atheist. Other than that, that post was weird.

Posted by Shade

*** = Yahweh = Ra = Zeus = Odin = etc etc etc

Believing in one is essentially believing in all the rests, just not in the same context.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You're saying atheists need proof that *** doesn't exist, I'm saying Atheists don't need proof if there is no proof of *** existing to begin with. Thus I'm disagreeing.

Just reread your post. In argument, anyone who makes a claim must back it up - it is not anyone else's burden to prove or disprove their argument. If an Atheist claims there is no supernatural beings in this universe, it is on them to provide sufficient evidence to verify said claim. Otherwise, they are just as bad as people that spew dogmatic creed.

Yeah, and their proof would be the lack of proof of a *** existing. I mean, how could you possibly disprove it otherwise? Beyond the fact it's essentially physically impossible to prove a higher being exists, it's then equally impossible to say one doesn't exist without resorting to the fact that there's no evidence to support a *** exists. You have to prove one exists to get anywhere in this argument.

Posted by S

Thus, the didactic beauty of theism. That's how it works, however, thems the breaks.

Yeah, you can't disprove something that doesn't have any solid evidence supporting it. I know.

lol

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Shade: *** = Yahweh = Ra = Zeus = Odin = etc etc etc

Believing in one is essentially believing in all the rests, just not in the same context.
How do you figure? Each religion has its own set of deities, so I don't see how believing in one set equates with believing in another set at the same time.

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Arwon

Honestly, just because modern religion has managed to retreat far enough into metaphysics and sophomoric word games to render their ideas immune to emperical analysis or debate doesn't mean I have to respect their ideas any more than any random nutcase's insistance on any number of other random baseless claims about fairies or celestial teapots.

Of course theists have the home ground advantage. Even ignoring the weight of traditional indoctrination and stuff, they also don't need to rely on actual evidence or logic or anything like that. Schizophrenics have exactly the same advantage in supporting their own delusions.

If you raise a child in a vacuum and never expose them to ideas of g-ds, is it then a matter of "faith" for them to lack any sort of belief in them? No, it's just normal because no-one ever planted the idea in their head. Actually, forget a vacuum, what about raising someone in China?

Posted by S

And that brings us to the origin of mythology, eh?

Who said anything about respecting religion, Arwon? If you respect the scientific ideology, then you must respect the fact that everything has a possibility. You're welcome to hate the religion, but that's not what defines an Atheist. An Atheist is someone who denies the existence of said possibility or possibilities (In respect to partial atheists vs. full atheists.).

Posted by xuclo

I've never heard of a partial atheist. Is that like an agnostic?

Posted by S

It's a self-coined term. Some atheists don't deny the existence of other gods, only Yahweh. It's like a splicing of agnosticism and atheism.

pretty ****ing stupid

Posted by Arwon

What "scientific ideology"? That's nonsense and you're playing silly word games. "If you respect the scientific ideology, then you must respect the fact that everything has a possibility." What rot that is. Lots of things aren't possible. I can't fly. My brain is not made of cheese. Babies don't like being kicked. The universe was not created in 6 days. Etcetera. The existance of *** is exactly as likely as the existance of invisible fairies or orbitting teapots or any of the other infinite number of things people can say exists that can't be disproven. The fact that a lot of people thought this one similar thing and ganged up to control society for several thousand years doesn't make the idea any more legitimate.

If you're going to argue that "the existance of ***" is a scientific hypothesis, then fine. It's a terrible one with lots of counterveiling evidence invalidating it. It's a hypothesis that should be thrown out. It's up there with "dancing makes it rain" or "the lion is an Aryan animal while the rabbit is not". Seeking to legitimise faith by making it a rational and "scientific" proposition is the surest way to get it debunked and disproven (some quick examples: anthropology and history, cosmology, the existence of mutually exclusive faith in other ***s, the inaccuracy of holy books, the problem of evil, the amount of suffering in nature, [url=http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/malady/archives/harlequin.htm]Harlequin fetus[/url], the poor "design" of the universe, personalities of ***s as described in various Books). The faithful are better off staying retreated into harmless extra-universal metaphysics where they can tell themselves whatever stories they want as long as they don't, you know, translate those delusions into impingements on mine or others' freedom.

When I was 6, I didn't believe in any ***. I remember an argument I had with a kid about it at school (who I've since found out grew up atheist, incidentally). I never chose to decide not to believe in all this twaddle, the idea never really sprang up and by the time it did (scripture classes at age 10 or so), it sounded pretty much like the Easter Bunny for grown-ups.

Atheism does not require faith. It's only percieved as such when you look at it from a theo-normative perspective (the assumption that faith is normal and lack of faith is deviant or even not possible). I don't really hate religion, it's more bemused pity, and I'd really rather just freaking ignore it. As such, people telling me that because I tend to accept stuff that can be observed and inferred about the real world and not bother with things people made up, I'm as deluded and blindly faithful as people who believe in magical wish-granting Jewish zombies... it kinda gets my goat, ya know?

Posted by xuclo

[QUOTE=S

Posted by S

Quoting Arwon: What "scientific ideology"? That's nonsense and you're playing silly word games. "If you respect the scientific ideology, then you must respect the fact that everything has a possibility." What rot that is. Lots of things aren't possible. I can't fly. My brain is not made of cheese. Babies don't like being kicked. The universe was not created in 6 days. Etcetera. The existance of *** is exactly as likely as the existance of invisible fairies or orbitting teapots or any of the other infinite number of things people can say exists that can't be disproven. The fact that a lot of people thought this one similar thing and ganged up to control society for several thousand years doesn't make the idea any more legitimate.

If you're going to argue that "the existance of ***" is a scientific hypothesis, then fine. It's a terrible one with lots of counterveiling evidence invalidating it. It's a hypothesis that should be thrown out. It's up there with "dancing makes it rain" or "the lion is an Aryan animal while the rabbit is not". Seeking to legitimise faith by making it a rational and "scientific" proposition is the surest way to get it debunked and disproven (some quick examples: anthropology and history, cosmology, the existence of mutually exclusive faith in other ***s, the inaccuracy of holy books, the problem of evil, the amount of suffering in nature, [url=http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/malady/archives/harlequin.htm]Harlequin fetus[/url], the poor "design" of the universe, personalities of ***s as described in various Books). The faithful are better off staying retreated into harmless extra-universal metaphysics where they can tell themselves whatever stories they want as long as they don't, you know, translate those delusions into impingements on mine or others' freedom.

When I was 6, I didn't believe in any ***. I remember an argument I had with a kid about it at school (who I've since found out grew up atheist, incidentally). I never chose to decide not to believe in all this twaddle, the idea never really sprang up and by the time it did (scripture classes at age 10 or so), it sounded pretty much like the Easter Bunny for grown-ups.

Atheism does not require faith. It's only percieved as such when you look at it from a theo-normative perspective (the assumption that faith is normal and lack of faith is deviant or even not possible). I don't really hate religion, it's more bemused pity, and I'd really rather just freaking ignore it. As such, people telling me that because I tend to accept stuff that can be observed and inferred about the real world and not bother with things people made up, I'm as deluded and blindly faithful as people who believe in magical wish-granting Jewish zombies... it kinda gets my goat, ya know?

Did you actually read anything I said?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Who's playing word games?

Posted by xuclo

[QUOTE=S

Can I just throw something out there?

I like playing it as a numbers game, with one basic assumption, with that assumption being that the universe is infinite. (Or at least so incomprehensibly big that if one even tries to imagine how small one really is in relation to it, his or her head would be boggled to the point of dysfunction, a la The Total Perspective Vortex from The Hitchhiker's Guide). The universe in this case is defined as every single known and unknown that was, is, or will be in existence. Personally, I think this is a perfectly reasonable assumption, but basing the following logic on a single assumption might throw some people off.

Now, with that assumption in place, we can now begin a stage of if-then statements. If the universe is as big as was mentioned before, then there is a finite chance of any occurance (including the chance that somewhere out there, there exists a G0D, however finite that chance might be). So, basically, in an infinite universe anything and everything happens somewhere.

Now, if anything and everything happens somewhere, then somewhere at some point in the 4-dimensinal universe a G0D exists. Agree with me so far?

Now. Since we are going off the assumption of an infinite universe, and by that assumption G0D somewhere at some point exists, we now bring the infinity of the universe back. The probability that this G0D's domain, in an infinite universe, includes our dear Earth is virtually zero, because any domain other than an infinite one, when compared to infinity, is as next to nothing as makes no odds.

To disprove G0D's idea of an infinite domain takes a little more faith. If G0D behaves as those who claim him as their savior accept him, his rule over an infinite domain would be nonsensical. Is Earth the only planet with intelligent species in the universe? Impossible, given an infinite universe. Given the size of the universe, compared to the size of our small planet, why would anyone in control of the whole universe pay attention to a small blue planet orbiting a dwarf of a star in some random galaxy? If G0D is so caring to our part of the universe, then he or she would be so irresponsible forsaking the rest of the galaxy in such a manner. If G0D is so all-controlling, then our planet makes no difference on the scale of things, and so, on the whole, he or she would pay no attention to us.

But all of that only applies if you think there is something as big or bigger than the universe in which we reside. That would be the only possible way such a deity could exist. There is a one in infinity chance that something is as big as infinity.

So basically, if G0D is bigger than infinity or as big as infinity, which as stated above, this would either deny our beginning assumption or have a one in infinity chance of being so.

So... One vs. the rest of all known existence. Do I hear any bets on one?

If clarification is needed, it will be granted. If you point something out of which I was not previously aware, I will adjust accordingly. Please note that while writing this, I had a terrific case of insomnia, so there might be (probably are somewhere) wording issues or gramatical issues or minor logical fallacies, etc.

Thanks for considering.

Quoted post: The universe in this case is defined as every single known and unknown that was, is, or will be in existence.

Stopped reading.

That's fine. I was just tossing it out there.

Posted by xuclo

That's a lot of words to just be tossing.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=S

Posted by xuclo

There's no proof of it, but there's no proof against it. I'd think of some stupid analogy but you get what I'm saying already, right? lol

Yes, I think everyone does as it has been repeated for the past two pages. It's a stupid point.

Posted by Slade

Quoting xuclo: There's no proof of it, but there's no proof against it. I'd think of some stupid analogy but you get what I'm saying already, right? lol

Arwon already said it, you're assuming that faith in a *** or ***s is "normal," or that it naturally exists. If someone hadn't cooked this **** up, no one would have ever heard of it, so there'd be absolutely no sign of it anywhere at all.

By what you're saying, if I make up something or write it down(for instance, a religious text detailing a brand new ***), then suddenly I have to disprove it before I can be sure it doesn't exist. You're saying that otherwise I'm only assuming that my made up *** doesn't exist, and putting faith into believing it doesn't exist. But I just made it up! That's why your point is dumb.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yes, I think everyone does as it has been repeated for the past two pages. It's a stupid point.

Indeed. Someone lock thread plz.

Posted by Speedfreak

You don't need proof against a theory with absolutely no evidence to back it up to say it's a bogus theory.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Slade: Arwon already said it, you're assuming that faith in a *** or ***s is "normal," or that it naturally exists. If someone hadn't cooked this **** up, no one would have ever heard of it, so there'd be absolutely no sign of it anywhere at all.If it wasn't natural, then it wouldn't be here. Somebody was sitting wondering why they were alive, what was the point of the world, etc, and they came up with religion. It's not that big a stretch.

[quote]By what you're saying, if I make up something or write it down(for instance, a religious text detailing a brand new ***), then suddenly I have to disprove it before I can be sure it doesn't exist.No, I'm saying you can't prove or disprove it, you can believe it or not believe it. That's completely up to you. [quote]You're saying that otherwise I'm only assuming that my made up *** doesn't exist, and putting faith into believing it doesn't exist. But I just made it up! That's why your point is dumb.
Some people "invent" things that have already been invented, that is, that already exist. So maybe you'd just happen to be right :p But if you were, you wouldn't be able to know. You'd have to put faith into it one way or the other. That's the way religion works. You can't know for sure. There is no way of knowing for sure. Atheism is the same. You can't know for sure. There is no way of knowing for sure. This is not rocket science.

I see what you're getting at, but calling someone's point dumb doesn't make you the winner of a debate.

Your point is dumb, shut up.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Vamp's opinion about there not being a *** is developed by his understanding for social structures, something well established in academics. Your argument is all about plausability, yet you forget that the people who believen *** don't see it as plausable but as actual fact. He can call you dumb.

Posted by TimeSkipz

There has to be a God, it would make no sense to not have a life after death unless you believe in reincarnation, if we were to destroy this Earth we would eventually come back as small cells starting over again, but what about when the sun explodes? Can you imagine not existing?

Quoting TimeSkipz: There has to be a God, it would make no sense to not have a life after death unless you believe in reincarnation, if we were to destroy this Earth we would eventually come back as small cells starting over again, but what about when the sun explodes? Can you imagine not existing?

I can imagine you not existing. I'm imagining it right now.
*smiles*

Quoted post: There has to be a ***, it would make no sense to not have a life after death

Ok, never mind what I said before. Now THIS is ****ing dumb. I've always thought that argument was retarded: "Well, there must be a *** cause it wouldn't make sense if there wasn't! SO THERE AND THAT'S THAT"

faggot.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Only reason I see for believe in a *** is with regards to the uncaused causer problem. But I imagine science will have a solution in due course.

Just thought I'd pipe in with that.

Quoted post: to the uncaused causer problem.

cancer?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What caused the Big Bang, etc.

Oh, that was just worded oddly I guess

Posted by TimeSkipz

Seems improbable that a big *** explosion would happen out of nowhere unless something made it.

Posted by S

Just shut up, moron.

Quoted post: Seems improbable that a big *** explosion would happen out of nowhere unless something made it.

because a massive, all-powerful being as a cause isn't?

Posted by TimeSkipz

Like if I had an apple and then all of a sudden I have two what made the second one, we don't ****en know!

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;786543]because a massive, all-powerful being isn't?
Works, too.

Posted by misogenie

Love is so powerful that someone, such as a scientist who would not waste time with Christian religion, would make an invention to make us young and disease-free forever. If our Father exists, He won't allow any gifted scientist to conquer death. Death is suppose to be a normal natural phase from old age, disease, or accident like a vehicle accident. We would know who our Father is if there is life after death. I hear that stem cell research could one day unlock the mystery of death from old age. If stem cell research becomes successful in reversing old age then the holy bible of our almighty Father would a become a historical fantasy religion.

Posted by ExoXile

There is no dying from 'old age.'
Dying from old age merely means it's natural because your organs starts failing, etc.

Stem cell research won't unlock any mystery.
But will simply rejuvenate/create (new)cells, and thus avoiding death(as in, organs aging, etc).

And not just 'dying from old age'-death.
But pretty much all death, that isn't caused by an accident or something of the like.

Mystery of dying from old age... lol

Posted by Shade

Quoting TimeSkipz: Seems improbable that a big *** explosion would happen out of nowhere unless something made it.

You should just Wikipedia "Big Bang." Just read that, you'd be better off than you are now.

My reason for believing in a *** is that someone/something had to have created the Universe at some point. Why not a divine power?

Posted by ExoXile

And my reasoning is:

Why is it so hard to believe that there was a big bang out of nowhere, but a divine being that has been there all the time, isn't?

They kind of equalize eachother out.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting ExoXile: Why is it so hard to believe that there was a big bang out of nowhere, but a divine being that has been there all the time, isn't?

Because people aren't just saying, "Gee, maybe the universe started with a huge explosion, I really don't know." The evidence all points to the universe once being extremely small and dense, then suddenly expanding rapidly. There is no evidence, on the other hand, that there is a divine being that has been there for all time, and simply believing He is responsible for everything we have no explanation for is an extremely primitive standpoint.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Linko_16;794362][COLOR=indigo]Because people aren't just saying, "Gee, maybe the universe started with a huge explosion, I really don't know."[/COLOR]
People aren't just saying that, Linko.

Posted by Shade

[quote]There is no evidence, on the other hand, that there is a divine being that has been there for all time, and simply believing He is responsible for everything we have no explanation for is an extremely primitive standpoint.

There is no evidence, on the other hand, that a divine being has not been here for all time. Simply believing that He is not responsible for something we have no explanation for is an extremely primitive standpoint.

Goes both ways.

Posted by S

[color=black]No it doesn't, because the burden of proof is on those who claim it to be true.

I could easily say that there's a floating teapot that perpetually rotates at a 23.5

Posted by Shade

Those who claim that *** exists at least have some reasoning, no matter how weak you believe it may be, to believe that He does.

Your teapot is not such a case.

Quoted post: No it doesn't, because the burden of proof is on those who claim it to be true.

Are we seriously back to this?

Posted by Shade

Suppose so.

Posted by Linko_16

In all practicality, the burden of proof really lies with whoever is making a claim that opposes what is currently held. From a scientific/philosophic stand-point, yes, it's absurd to claim knowledge of something without evidence. If someone who believes in Go[b]d walks into a museum of evolution or something, their claims of Creation won't be taken seriously because they do not have proof that Creation is true. But all the same, if an atheist walk into a church, where people have believed in God their whole lives, they're not going to walk away from their beliefs unless he or she shows proof that *** does not exist.

It's arguably a fault on believers that they do not abandon a claim that has no proof, but religion is all about faith, not evidence.

Quoting Shade: Those who claim that *** exists at least have some reasoning, no matter how weak you believe it may be, to believe that He does.

Reasoning != Proof

Maybe one day, a man was walking along when suddenly the gleam of the sun in the corner of his eye seemed to be interrupted for a fraction of a second. Maybe it struck him, even though he didn't see it clearly, that the item of obstruction was in the shape of a teapot. He tells a team of scientists with top-of-the-line equipment about this, and they search and search and search, but after ten whole years, they finally conclude that there is no teapot orbiting the earth, and that maybe there was simply a plane flying above him or a very small bit of cloud; they don't know for sure because (for the sake of argument) the airports have lost their logs for that day and the weather records aren't precise enough to say for sure. But maybe the man is stubborn, and insists he knows what he saw.

This doesn't mean that he really knows there is a teapot orbiting the earth. He can reason all he likes, saying he's sure he remembers it being in the shape of a teapot, and that modern technology isn't good enough to pinpoint its location or capture it in a telescope. But as true as it may be to him, it's not knowledge, and it doesn't become knowledge even if he convinces millions of people all over the world that there really is a teapot orbiting the Earth.[/b]

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

I don't see logical reasons for believing in ***s, most of the time people only do so because others tell them they are real, which I think is stupid. But it is also stupid to deny any possible chance that a *** exists, for there is no proof that disproves a higher deity.

Posted by WillisGreeny

IMO (the one that matters, since I'm right on just about everything *** told me) *** is just one big imaginary scapegoat for all of life's questions.

Why am I rich? *** wanted me rich.

Why do people kill each other? *** wants them to die.

Who made the Earth? I'm too fukken dumb to read a science book, So *** must have made the Earth.

****, don't revive this thread...

Posted by Shade

Why did somebody revive the thread only to say exactly what everybody else has already said?

Posted by S

Because they didn't say it.

Posted by JonMB

I didn't get it the first 87 times, but that 88th message really made me think.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Shade: Why did somebody revive the thread only to say exactly what everybody else has already said?

It revived itself after 3 days.

Posted by Shade

thanks bebop that was a totally necessary and worthwhile comment and it made me think

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Shade: Those who claim that *** exists at least have some reasoning, no matter how weak you believe it may be, to believe that He does.

Actually, belief in the Christian G*d isn't supposed to have no real-world universal logic or reason. It's supposed to be based entirely on faith, the ability to believe in something even though no logic or reasoning suggests that it's true. Trying to prove the existence of G*d (for the Christian Church) is senseless and actually the opposite of what the New Testament suggests. If there was solid evidence out there and someone found it, then believing in G*d wouldn't require faith; it would simply be common knowledge, like basic arithmetic or something. But because it is not something that can be proven, and there is actually proof suggesting that the Bible is flawed, then you have to use faith to believe.

So trying to use reasoning and logic to justify a belief in G*d is the opposite of what Jesus was looking for when he said that his followers needed to have faith. You're supposed to just believe and not have reasoning that led you to such a belief.

Posted by Shade

[quote]You're supposed to just believe and not have reasoning that led you to such a belief.

Well that's just stupid.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fei-on Castor: So trying to use reasoning and logic to justify a belief in G*d is the opposite of what Jesus was looking for when he said that his followers needed to have faith. You're supposed to just believe and not have reasoning that led you to such a belief.

acting on unjustified theories in morally reckless.

Posted by Shade

No wonder they crucified that guy.

Quoted post: Well that's just stupid.

Not really. I mean, logically it's a little silly, but since when is religion or belief logical?

Posted by WillisGreeny

The way I see it, religion was the logic formed by premitive thinkers from the past. Time to move on.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not really. I mean, logically it's a little silly, but since when is religion or belief logical?

Hence why it's stupid.

Quoting WillisGreeny: The way I see it, religion was the logic formed by premitive thinkers from the past. Time to move on.

Quoted for truth.

Posted by Kodachi

I find it funny how often it's said that the creation of *** was just made by simpler people in history because that's just how they thought back then. Not to say it isn't entirely true, but I've noticed that the same arrogance is found in many people denying the existence of such a being.
I kind of feel that believing us to be the pinnacle of life is much to arrogant, but just on the other side of the spectrum in terms of science vs religion.

I don't consider myself to believe in a religion, but I do think there are(is a) greater being(s) than us that transcend our understanding of time, whether it's because we're wrong or haven't discovered something or just something we can't do. There would always be a "What happened before?" issue, and through our understanding of time, if we were completely correct, the answer will always be "Uhhhhhhhhh" and I don't think it's much better than getting uppity and referencing clearly false claims when someone mentions a ***.
Maybe I'm just bat**** insane. :cool2:

Posted by mis0

Really, I don't see how the scientific explanation of the creation of the universe is any less rediculous than many think that of religion is.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Uh, because it has evidence and logical thought behind it?

Religion has been said to be a means to understand the world around us and to govern our lives. It is now needed for neither. It is an outdated means to achieve things which mankind is capable of doing without the crippling intellectual crutch of invisible friends in the sky.

Say that you hear people in the walls, and you're crazy. Say that the voice is ***, and you're a prophet. Seems odd to me.

Posted by Kodachi

Sure, that gives an explanation of our history, but it still doesn't explain where said history comes from. I'm not backing the religious explanation of history, but the idea of a big bang doesn't entirely disprove creationism. I think people are too willing to throw it out entirely because of what religion has done, and they cling to their scientific explanation that doesn't really cover everything. That kind of lacks logical reasoning behind it.

Anyway, that "It can't be proven it so it's untrue and I'm going to go out and make fun of people who believe it" mentality is just as odd and lacking as the "They can't disprove it so it's true and you're a heathen" garbage. I think that's what he meant.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: Uh, because it has evidence and logical thought behind it?
So there's this point of infinite density, right? And then it just blows up and presto, we've got a universe? The theory is based on the observation that the universe is expanding... it has always seemed to me that they're trying to extrapolate a lot from a few observations and our limited knowledge of space. I suppose that yes, there is logic to it but that doesn't mean it's right, and really you have to choose to believe because there isn't a concrete evidence that it ever happened. It's belief in science as opposed to scientific fact.

[quote]Say that you hear people in the walls, and you're crazy. Say that the voice is ***, and you're a prophet. Seems odd to me.

No, I'm pretty sure in this day and age you're crazy if you're hearing "***s voice", period.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Kodachi: Sure, that gives an explanation of our history, but it still doesn't explain where said history comes from. I'm not backing the religious explanation of history, but the idea of a big bang doesn't entirely disprove creationism. I think people are too willing to throw it out entirely because of what religion has done, and they cling to their scientific explanation that doesn't really cover everything. That kind of lacks logical reasoning behind it.

Anyway, that "It can't be proven it so it's untrue and I'm going to go out and make fun of people who believe it" mentality is just as odd and lacking as the "They can't disprove it so it's true and you're a heathen" garbage. I think that's what he meant.

The way I see it, Religion mocks the scientific method, the method that's based for medicines, farming, transportation, electronics, critical thinking, or anything we take serious today. The one HUGE difference between Science and Religion is Science gives evidence and rhetoric for everyone to read and test for themselves, to be questioned, and to be fully understood. It's not a special club that talks to an imaginary friend for "absolute truth". Science isn't based off of one man's view, infact, that's the example of bad science. Science holds to the princible WE DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING, and once a scientific theory is disproven it then becomes forgotten. If Religions would work the same way, perhaps there wouldn't be so many contradictions (and variations).

Please don't mistaken my opinion as battering those who differ from me. I can coexist with the spiritual minded, but I question the spiritual minded coexisting with me. Afterall, igniting pressure in a barrel of iron seems to be more effective than the smiting of an all powerful ***.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting WillisGreeny: The way I see it, Religion mocks the scientific method, the method that's based for medicines, farming, transportation, electronics, critical thinking, or anything we take serious today. The one HUGE difference between Science and Religion is Science gives evidence and rhetoric for everyone to read and test for themselves, to be questioned, and to be fully understood. It's not a special club that talks to an imaginary friend for "absolute truth". Science isn't based off of one man's view, infact, that's the example of bad science. Science holds to the princible WE DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING, and once a scientific theory is disproven it then becomes forgotten. If Religions would work the same way, perhaps there wouldn't be so many contradictions (and variations).

Please don't mistaken my opinion as battering those who differ from me. I can coexist with the spiritual minded, but I question the spiritual minded coexisting with me. Afterall, igniting pressure in a barrel of iron seems to be more effective than the smiting of an all powerful ***.

But it is often a special club that mocks those in the 'imaginary friend' club.

Also, if you actually read what I said, I wasn't supporting religion. The explanations science has given us aren't fulfilling either. It doesn't explain everything, but they all act so sure that something that could possibly give a better explanation (a supreme being) because it is associated with religion. There really isn't any better reasoning for throwing out creationism just because the religious factions have done some crazy things. For people boasting such logical reasoning, they are lacking such reasoning, but they have no problem being arrogant pricks, just like the ones they criticize.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Kodachi: But it is often a special club that mocks those in the 'imaginary friend' club.

Also, if you actually read what I said, I wasn't supporting religion. The explanations science has given us aren't fulfilling either. It doesn't explain everything, but they all act so sure that something that could possibly give a better explanation (a supreme being) because it is associated with religion. There really isn't any better reasoning for throwing out creationism just because the religious factions have done some crazy things. For people boasting such logical reasoning, they are lacking such reasoning, but they have no problem being arrogant pricks, just like the ones they criticize.

They aren't arrogant, they're just frustrated with apologetic religion sympathizers like yourself who fail to regognize the possability that all religion could be a load of crap. For the world of science, truth is seen though evidence and observations, NOT a book that's founders are hardly creditable. Do you know the revisions that took place with the bible? Weren't humans involved? If *** was guiding these humans to make the bible, then why did they think the earth was in the center of the universe? Sounds like the fallacy of man to me, and the only arrogant fools in this "logic" equation are those so bold enough to say they know exactly what happens to everyone when they die.

And if you think just because priests have been ****ing little boys is the only reasoning for not buying into that catholic ****, then wow. Lost cause.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

What it ultimately comes down to, in my view, is that those who choose to have faith in a G*d ought to do so understanding that there is no proof or reasoning behind their faith. They ought to believe it because it's true, not because they can prove it's true. And I have no problem with anyone who is a Christian based on faith. That's totally okay. If you choose to have faith, that's your choice. But it's ridiculous to seek proof that your G*d exists or even to argue that s/he does. That totally does away with the need for faith. If you could prove it, and you do successfully prove it, you've just completely stepped on the idea of faith that Jesus himself stressed quite strongly.

For example, we know that 8+8=16, right? It's common knowledge. No faith needed. You know it's true because it's been proven, over and over again and it makes sense. So everyone agrees that it is true.

If you were to provide the same concrete proof for the existence of any G*d, you'd be removing the need for faith because it would become common accepted knowledge, much like basic arithmetic.

If you want to have faith in a G*d, go for it. Enjoy yourself. Take comfort in it. But remember that your faith applies only to you and that you won't be converting anyone to have that same faith by using facts or logical arguments. Your best bet is to try and stress the positive things that having such a faith has brought to your life.

Posted by Kodachi

Your complete failure angered me so much that I actually started typing "LEARN TO READ" into the username bar to log in.

How the **** can you actually tell me, after the many times that I said things against religion, that I am a religion sympathizer? Do you even know where you are?
Creationism doesn't have to mean religion. One can believe in a supreme being WITHOUT believing in one of the religions out there.
I'd love for you to show me where I implied anything about priests touching little boys. In fact, I dare you to.

EDIT: ****it, ninja'd. I was talking to the person above Fei-on

Posted by WillisGreeny

Epic ninja failure.

You were the first to imply creationism to the disscussion of religion. You were the first to bring up recent events inwhich i mentioned one.

Reguardless, Religion argues creationism. No escaping that.

I don't need to learn to read, so much as you need to learn what you're even talking about.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Kodachi: Your complete failure angered me so much that I actually started typing "LEARN TO READ" into the username bar to log in.

How the **** can you actually tell me, after the many times that I said things against religion, that I am a religion sympathizer? Do you even know where you are?

Creationism doesn't have to mean religion.

I was only talking about religion without saying creationism, and look at the first thing you type.

Quoting Kodachi: I find it funny how often it's said that the creation of *** was just made by simpler people in history because that's just how they thought back then.

Quoting Kodachi: But it is often a special club that mocks those in the 'imaginary friend' club.

The special club are those actually trying to discover truth oppose to feeling fine with a bible's print. For being agnostic, you're certainly being defencive.

Your argument is that you're agnostic, and that people have a negative biase against ***. What you fail to realize is most people are agnostic, and have their own beliefs as to ***'s existance. More people are against the establishments, NOT ***, huge difference...

You don't like people making fun of devoted christians? whoopdy doo. In my book, be whatever you want, just keep the logic label away from the bull ****.

Quoting Kodachi: Sure, that gives an explanation of our history, but it still doesn't explain where said history comes from. I'm not backing the religious explanation of history, but the idea of a big bang doesn't entirely disprove creationism.

Studying the spread of matter in the universe with all vectors pointing away from a center, and a cosmic wave still in flux from the initial explosion isn't enough evidence for you? Big bang states there was a big bang. It doesn't say *** had nothing to do with it, nor that he did.. The point though is it's hardly relavent in studying ***'s hand at making the universe because science avoids what it can't test.

This whole thing is stupid, and you're dragging it into how in-tolerant I am when I'm probably more tolerant of religious philosophies than most people. Sorry I don't give a **** about the existance of ***, and to say I did would be a lie. I'm not wrong, I'm just different.

Posted by Shade

[quote]They ought to believe it because it's true, not because they can prove that it's true.

i'm going to reply to this with a capital 'WHAT'

edit: willis she is going to ****ing murder you

Posted by WillisGreeny

Logically?

Posted by Shade

nah, probably with a kodachi, just for the lulz.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't know if I can handle another ninjad...

Posted by Shade

best watch yo' ass then, boi.

Oh shi... Today is Easter, we shouldn't be so negative!

Today we celebrate the day that the magic sky fairy becomes a zombie.

A ****ING ZOMBIE!!!! DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER THEN THAT!!!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=mis0;829966]Really, I don't see how the scientific explanation of the creation of the universe is any less rediculous than many think that of religion is.

There's a scientific explanation for the creation of the universe?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Shade: i'm going to reply to this with a capital 'WHAT'

It's just what it seems to be.

The New Testament suggests that Christians ought to believe based on faith. It does not say that Christians ought to dedicate their studies to finding proof that the Earth was created 6000 years ago or that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

Groups such as "Answers in Genesis" strive to uncover things like the hull of Noah's Ark or attempts to explain how the Grand Canyon could have formed in only a few thousand years. These people claim to be Christian, hence, they claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. But not once did Jesus suggest that his followers search for concrete evidence. Rather, he encouraged them to have "faith the size of a mustard seed" (a really small seed), and that if a man could have that amount of faith, he could move mountains with it.

Obviously, this line is figurative. Faith is, at its core, a tool that you use on yourself as protection from the often bleak reality of life. Jesus wasn't saying that you could physically lift a mountain just by believing you could; He was saying that if you have enough faith to believe you can move a mountain, then you will believe that you can move a mountain. You would genuinely believe that you could, with no regard for the physical impossibility and absence of logic.

Faith in G*d is supposed to work in a similar manner. You can never prove that He is or isn't "real".

Any organism only knows its own perception of things. You can't guarantee anything because you only know what you perceive, and human senses have the potential to be flawed and unreliable. Therefore, just because you see and touch something doesn't guarantee that it is there. I've spoken with people who have seen the figure of Jesus Christ and others who have felt G*d's hand resting on their shoulder. Just because they felt or saw something doesn't mean it was really there. It simply means that their faith was great enough to make it real for them.

You have to believe in G*d because you believe in G*d. Not because it makes sense logically, or because some jerk-off found a chunk of the cross on which Jesus was crucified. All of those arguments proving the supernatural accounts in the Holy Bible are silly and defy the very foundation of Christianity. Rather than just believing that it's true, they seek out proof, and even Jesus quoted an Old Testament scripture "You shall not put the Lord to the test". You simply are supposed to believe it's true and not ever ask for a test.

I have no problem with those who believe based on faith alone. That's fine with me. I don't care what you choose to believe for no reason. I'm only bothered when people try to tell me that I, too, must believe as they do, and then typically follow-up with some argument that proves that they are right and I should join the consensus and believe it as well.

Why would I believe something is real when I have not ever perceived it to be real? After all, we can really only operate under our own perceptions.

[quote=Speedfreak]There's a scientific explanation for the creation of the universe?
Heh, nice. Even science calls on the need for "faith" at some point.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, actually, science is quite happy not knowing something until it does know. Whether you decide to make things up to fill in the gaps falls outside the realm of science.

Posted by Shade

[quote=teh fei]It does not say that Christians ought to dedicate their studies to finding proof that the Earth was created 6000 years ago

It's good thing they don't, because we already have proof that it wasn't created 6000 years ago. :cookie:

[quote]You have to believe in G*d because you believe in G*d. Not because it makes sense logically

Why not? I believe in a *** because it makes logical sense to me.

[quote]I'm only bothered when people try to tell me that I, too, must believe as they do, and then typically follow-up with some argument that proves that they are right and I should join the consensus and believe it as well.

Welcome to organized religion!

I'd use the cookie smiley again there, but that would just be redundant.

Posted by S

Quoting Shade: Why not? I believe in a *** because it makes logical sense to me.

You're doing it wrong.

Posted by Shade

I just lost the game.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

[QUOTE=Shade;830424]Why not? I believe in a *** because it makes logical sense to me.

I'm not saying a higher power in general. I'm saying those who believe in Christian Dogma ought not to believe in G*d because it makes sense.

They ought to believe because they believe. If it was a belief that was logically structured, it would be much to solid to necessitate faith.

And you personally finding logic in the existence of G*d is based off of your perception of the world, what is known in Germany as your [i]weltanscha

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: There's a scientific explanation for the creation of the universe?

They understand how, not so much the why. Yeah... Science may never get an answer for that.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting WillisGreeny: They understand how, not so much the why. Yeah... Science may never get an answer for that.

I think he's referring to the fact that no one can explain how the mass that theoretically exploded into our universe came to be. The G*d idea works because you can use the factual basis that G*d simply was there. He always was.

For a scientist, that's not good enough to say that something was just there. We have to know how it got there, and we can only answer back to a certain point. Eventually we have to just concede that something was just there.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I was referring to that aswell. The means of the mass expansion, not for the existance of mass. In other words, the how and not the why. *** works for all whys.

Posted by Shade

imo, *** is the universe. Crazy, I know.

Posted by Speedfreak

Actually I was referring to the fact that there's no scientific explanation for the universe's creation, neither the reason for it or the method. We only have an explanation for what happened after it was created: the big bang.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting mis0: So there's this point of infinite density, right? And then it just blows up and presto, we've got a universe? The theory is based on the observation that the universe is expanding... it has always seemed to me that they're trying to extrapolate a lot from a few observations and our limited knowledge of space. I suppose that yes, there is logic to it but that doesn't mean it's right, and really you have to choose to believe because there isn't a concrete evidence that it ever happened. It's belief in science as opposed to scientific fact.

No, I'm pretty sure in this day and age you're crazy if you're hearing "***s voice", period.

You're displaying a lot of the misconceptions that many people have about science. Science doesnt say "This is the way it is" in any definitive sense 99% of the time. It is usually meant "this is the way that all current evidence and theory points" even if "this is the way it is" is said. This is what grants science the edge over religion: science uses logical methods to continue to expand the realm on knowledge, admitting its mistakes when they become apparent and moving on from there. It uses the best evidence at hand to determine what is as real as can be determined.

Religion starts with an idea, and ends in the same point. it has no room for growth, and is limited to its founding ideals. To those who would object to this and point to, say, the evolution of christianity, I would say this: based on what do you determine what to accept and what not to accept? If you have a holy book that is supposed to be the inerrant word of *** (such as the bible and quran are supposed to be) then how do you justify accepting some parts and rejecting others? Or, if you believe it to be flawed, then based on what can you claim to have any certainty of the whole?

Religious faith does no hold itself well to any sort of examination when conducted by a open minded observer. it frequently hides itself behind cloaks of "because I said so" and societal acceptance without ever accouting for its actions or evils. It is an outdated reminder of humanity's past, and should be abandoned as such.

brace for impact lol

Posted by S

I've always described Religion as an Umbrella. It starts at the very top, its point, and blankets downward to the bottom, not necessarily covering the whole of the mass but it is still there. It explains things from the top, and lets it trickle down based on specific assumptions, When those assumptions crack, the Umbrella is still left rigid in its place. These are typically the places that people "interpret" and place their faith rather than on a basis of fact. Many of the assumptions by the bible are examples of this, as they are still there and unamended.

Science, however, is constructed the exact opposite way. It is crafted from the base, similar to the fortification of a house. It builds up, and where it is erroneous, it crumbles and we begin anew. It isn't until faith gets involved in Science that Science can be truly misguided.

It is unknown is Science can really reach the pinnacle like faith can, but if it did reach at least the first major question's pinnacle (What created the created and who created the creators type.), at least we know it'd be nearly concrete.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Science also has fundamentals that encourage trying to break theories, oppose to accepting them without question. A good scientist is one whose experiments disprove theories, not discover truths. A great scientist is one who can then come up with a theory that can't be disproven, challenging other scientists to disprove it.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not good science to go out of your way to try and disprove theories. It's a waste of resources because you will probably find nothing. To experiment first requires a hypothesis, and if your hypothesis disagrees with something that's already backed by a lot of evidence (which is what's required for it to be a theory in the first place)people will think you're nuts.

It's more efficient to experiment with existing theories to find new information. If you find nothing then you close that line of experimentation. If you find something that explains a previously incomplete part of an existing theory you can amend it. Failing those two, and this is the least likely result of any given experiment, your evidence would completely contracidt an existing theory. Only then would you be disproving it.

Posted by JonMB

I admire the great philosophers of history. They ponder such mysteries as the creation of the universe while I'm still trying to figure out how to keep an erection for more than 20 minutes.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: It's not good science to go out of your way to try and disprove theories. It's a waste of resources because you will probably find nothing. To experiment first requires a hypothesis, and if your hypothesis disagrees with something that's already backed by a lot of evidence (which is what's required for it to be a theory in the first place)people will think you're nuts.

It's more efficient to experiment with existing theories to find new information. If you find nothing then you close that line of experimentation. If you find something that explains a previously incomplete part of an existing theory you can amend it. Failing those two, and this is the least likely result of any given experiment, your evidence would completely contracidt an existing theory. Only then would you be disproving it.

whoa, hold up der. Trying to disprove scientific theories is GREAT science. The whole point of replicating experiments is to see if the theory holds up. That's all science is capable of doing, making sure a theory always works. When a scientist asks questions and then researches existing theories, they then set out to discover ways the theory doesn't apply or work inorder to disprove the theory, (disproving and expanding are almost identical. if a conclusion doesn't incoperate all evidence that supports it it is then thrown out).

If I made a car that could levitate with poop and shown you how it works, I would have disproven all the science that said antigravity vehicles were impossible to make with poop (I wonder if people have actually done experiments with this?).

A man just the other day figured out how to make salt water ignite using radio waves, giving an increase in energy output. Ask a scientist a few weeks later before that and he would say such a process would be impossible. Why? because the current theories suggested it was impossible. Now, the books have to rewritten, and the man who stumbled apon the discovery did great science without even setting out to do so...Actually he was trying to cure cancer...google it...it's kinda funny.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam:
brace for impact lol

What I am really trying to get at is that there is no explanation for the "why" anything is, you at some level you just have to accept that stuff exists with nothing predicating it's existence, which isn't really logical. Why should anything just be? If matter can neither be created or destroyed, how can it just exist?

Essentially you're choosing to believe in the theory of the creation of the universe according to science, vs. a given religion. It's not really logic governing the acceptance of such a theory because because the very basis for what we know to be true - matter only changes forms - allows no basis for the universe to have come into existence.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting JonMB: I admire the great philosophers of history. They ponder such mysteries as the creation of the universe while I'm still trying to figure out how to keep an erection for more than 20 minutes.

You could pray to *** for an erection...

or there's science's answer.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting WillisGreeny: I was only talking about religion without saying creationism, and look at the first thing you type.

The special club are those actually trying to discover truth oppose to feeling fine with a bible's print. For being agnostic, you're certainly being defencive.

Your argument is that you're agnostic, and that people have a negative biase against ***. What you fail to realize is most people are agnostic, and have their own beliefs as to ***'s existance. More people are against the establishments, NOT ***, huge difference...

You don't like people making fun of devoted christians? whoopdy doo. In my book, be whatever you want, just keep the logic label away from the bull ****.

Studying the spread of matter in the universe with all vectors pointing away from a center, and a cosmic wave still in flux from the initial explosion isn't enough evidence for you? Big bang states there was a big bang. It doesn't say *** had nothing to do with it, nor that he did.. The point though is it's hardly relavent in studying ***'s hand at making the universe because science avoids what it can't test.

This whole thing is stupid, and you're dragging it into how in-tolerant I am when I'm probably more tolerant of religious philosophies than most people. Sorry I don't give a **** about the existance of ***, and to say I did would be a lie. I'm not wrong, I'm just different.

I was talking about creationism just as the idea that we were created by a supreme being. The set of beliefs of laws that surround that being is what I would consider religion. I'm talking about the illogical idea that creationism should be completely chalked up to imaginary friends just because of the fanatical and all around stupid behavior of certain religious people.

I'm not concerned with what you people do in your special clubs. The bottom line is that neither of you know the truth for sure yet you mock the other as though you do. I just seem to think that out of either, science seems more annoying because while both sides act superior over the other, the uppity science supporters add hypocrisy to the plate.

Did you actually just tell me that most people are agnostic? You're mistaken in your definition, then.
There are separate religious factions for those who believe in *** and the initial beliefs set up, rather than those set by man. It's not agnostic.

Yes, the actual explanation of the big bang doesn't disprove a ***, but then why do most supporters of science cite the big bang when trying to disprove *** to believers?

Quoted post: the uppity science supporters add hypocrisy to the plate.

Christians are far more hypocritical. Though science supports aren't so great in general either.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Christians are far more hypocritical. Though science supports aren't so great in general either.

At least they have usually have logic.

Eh, don't think it's really fair to bring "logic" into a discussion about religion. The whole science v. religion thing is bull**** anyways.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Eh, don't think it's really fair to bring "logic" into a discussion about religion. The whole science v. religion thing is bull**** anyways.

I agree, I don't see why people always pit them against each other, besides when it comes to creationism/evolution. Perhaps it is because many things in the bible have been proven wrong by certain scientific things. I actually know a few Christians who think all science is incorrect and wrong. I think there was a town a few years ago, in one of the southern states that banned the teaching of science.

Quoted post: I actually know a few Christians who think all science is incorrect and wrong.

Of course, because just like every group, there's a large part that's ****ing moronic. People just like to take those people and use them to generalize everyone else. It's pretty cute, but very dumb. Ironic too.

Christians and scientists should just mind their own business. The two will always face-off, but I don't see why science disproving something the bible states should make any difference. Any level-headed Christian should know not every word is directly from ***'s mouth. But, for every five level-headed Christians there's one really loud, idiotic Christian.

Same could be said with Atheists, and on the internet, the number becomes 1 level headed : Five loud idiots. Hell, I'm a loud(And many times idiotic) Atheist, but only because I love arguing the subject.

Same could be said of everyone.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Kodachi:

Yes, the actual explanation of the big bang doesn't disprove a ***, but then why do most supporters of science cite the big bang when trying to disprove *** to believers?

Because the believer (a particular type as you will notice) usually casts the first stone with "Have you found Jesus yet?" instead of saying "What do you believen?". Challenge the believer with science and the believer turns to round about logic of interpretations, as if there's only one way to read the bible and only one way to interpret life. A person of science tries to explain the big bang as a way to complicate the theories, but the believer doesn't want to hear it, much less understand it. It's not important to understand science when they've already read genesis and have been told amoung their church peers that science tries to disprove ***. It's that willingly ignorance that leads to skepticism by those who favor science. If *** believers continue to preach, science believers will continue to observe for themselves.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Christians are far more hypocritical. Though science supports aren't so great in general either.

In general, I'm not keeping track. When it comes to how they argue, not so much. In the end, religious people will act close minded and think that the other side will burn or they are evil or something of the sort, while acting superior. The science side pretends that they are using logic, when they are in fact just as confused as the religious side. They continue to act just as superior, but for reasons that logically make no sense. At least in the religious 'dream world' as many of the science supporters think of it, the religious side is justified. The science side and their world of logic is just completely contradictory because their arguments often lack logic and are flawed by their own beliefs.

I'm not tearing down either side, but rather the general group of idiots that don't know what they are doing or talking about. It just seems that religious people are more willing to distance themselves from the fanatics, whereas most science supporters really don't even think there are fanatics among their side as well. They don't notice that their core logical facts are becoming more of a religion than anything, and are being misinterpreted and twisted just like any religion has been over the years.

Quoting WillisGreeny: Because the believer (a particular type as you will notice) usually casts the first stone with "Have you found Jesus yet?" instead of saying "What do you believen?". Challenge the believer with science and the believer turns to round about logic of interpretations, as if there's only one way to read the bible and only one way to interpret life. A person of science tries to explain the big bang as a way to complicate the theories, but the believer doesn't want to hear it, much less understand it. It's not important to understand science when they've already read genesis and have been told amoung their church peers that science tries to disprove ***. It's that willingly ignorance that leads to skepticism by those who favor science. If *** believers continue to preach, science believers will continue to observe for themselves.

Oh so because one side is illogical and close minded and hypocritical, that means the other side is allowed to be, also, while still acting superior. Yeah, I totally see the logic there. Next, you'll tell me that little Billy failed all of his classes without punishment, so you should be granted the same leniency. For all the stress about proving things, they certainly prove that they are no better than those who are religious, even though they act it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote]Eh, don't think it's really fair to bring "logic" into a discussion about religion. The whole science v. religion thing is bull**** anyways.

It is unfair in the sense that me trying to fistfight bruce lee would have been unfair: one is obviously superior to the other in every inherent regard.

Quoting Hyperactive Poster: I agree, I don't see why people always pit them against each other, besides when it comes to creationism/evolution.

they are pitted against each other because, like it or not, they are mutually exclusive worldviews.

Quoted post: It is unfair in the sense that me trying to fistfight bruce lee would have been unfair: one is obviously superior to the other in every inherent regard.

No. Logic plays no part in faith and that's what religion is based upon. Science disproves many things said within the bible--level-headed thing I said above etc--but science still doesn't answer everything, nor does it necessarily disprove any major religious beliefs. One side doesn't really know any more of the major mysteries than the other, so the whole thing is pretty retarded. Especially when a sciencefag decides to bring logic or facts, which technically he doesn't have to disprove any major christian beliefs, in a religious argument.

Really, it's like Bruce Lee fighting himself with noodles. It's stupid and embarrassing to watch.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Kodachi: In general, I'm not keeping track. When it comes to how they argue, not so much. In the end, religious people will act close minded and think that the other side will burn or they are evil or something of the sort, while acting superior. The science side pretends that they are using logic, when they are in fact just as confused as the religious side. They continue to act just as superior, but for reasons that logically make no sense. At least in the religious 'dream world' as many of the science supporters think of it, the religious side is justified. The science side and their world of logic is just completely contradictory because their arguments often lack logic and are flawed by their own beliefs.

I'm not tearing down either side, but rather the general group of idiots that don't know what they are doing or talking about. It just seems that religious people are more willing to distance themselves from the fanatics, whereas most science supporters really don't even think there are fanatics among their side as well. They don't notice that their core logical facts are becoming more of a religion than anything, and are being misinterpreted and twisted just like any religion has been over the years.

Oh so because one side is illogical and close minded and hypocritical, that means the other side is allowed to be, also, while still acting superior. Yeah, I totally see the logic there. Next, you'll tell me that little Billy failed all of his classes without punishment, so you should be granted the same leniency. For all the stress about proving things, they certainly prove that they are no better than those who are religious, even though they act it.

Both sides think they're superiour, so that's bull **** to say science people are the only ones that walk around pretensious. You presume to say the people in favor of science are just doing it to bash religion, which is probably why most teenagers do so but not so for adults. I joined science because religion condemns gays to burn in hell with very weak rhetoric. How can religions condemn lifestyles that won't hurt anyone else? The only real sins happening are the parents trying to fix their kids from being who they are. If gays aren't fit for heaven, then heaven isn't fit for me, nor religion.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;831208]whoa, hold up der. Trying to disprove scientific theories is GREAT science. The whole point of replicating experiments is to see if the theory holds up. That's all science is capable of doing, making sure a theory always works. When a scientist asks questions and then researches existing theories, they then set out to discover ways the theory doesn't apply or work inorder to disprove the theory, (disproving and expanding are almost identical. if a conclusion doesn't incoperate all evidence that supports it it is then thrown out).

If I made a car that could levitate with poop and shown you how it works, I would have disproven all the science that said antigravity vehicles were impossible to make with poop (I wonder if people have actually done experiments with this?).

A man just the other day figured out how to make salt water ignite using radio waves, giving an increase in energy output. Ask a scientist a few weeks later before that and he would say such a process would be impossible. Why? because the current theories suggested it was impossible. Now, the books have to rewritten, and the man who stumbled apon the discovery did great science without even setting out to do so...Actually he was trying to cure cancer...google it...it's kinda funny.

Science never said igniting saltwater is impossible. The crazy f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cker just thinks it can be used as a source of fuel, he doesn't realise he spends more energy igniting it than what's released.

I disagree that science is all disproving theories that are already well established, if that's all we spent our time doing we'd never get anywhere. You'd be paying to redo work that's already been done, it's a waste of resources. It's better to assume it's right, extrapolate it and only assume it's wrong if you have evidence to back it up. Assuming everything we know is wrong and working to prove it from the offset is flat-out stupid, and science doesn't DO stupid.

EDIT: The amount of people that think scientists are just as close-minded as evangelicals is worrying. A good scientist will believe ANYTHING if there's evidence for it. Any scientist worth his salt doesn't just think he argues with logic, it's the basis of his entire profession. The fact that many scientists regard their explanation for the universe as superior to anything the bible has isn't arrogance or close-mindedness, their explanation simply IS superior because thousands of people around the world work their asses off keeping it as updated and as accurate as possible. The opposing side hasn't any work for thousands of years and they don't listen to reason, why the fuck should both explanations be held as equals?

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting WillisGreeny: Both sides think they're superiour, so that's bull **** to say science people are the only ones that walk around pretensious. You presume to say the people in favor of science are just doing it to bash religion, which is probably why most teenagers do so but not so for adults. I joined science because religion condemns gays to burn in hell with very weak rhetoric. How can religions condemn lifestyles that won't hurt anyone else? The only real sins happening are the parents trying to fix their kids from being who they are. If gays aren't fit for heaven, then heaven isn't fit for me, nor religion.

Religious people claim to be religious, and they are, whether it's correct or not.
Science people claim to be logical, and they aren't.
That's why I feel science people can be more pretentious. They fail by their own standards. Even very religious people follow their own crazy beliefs. At the very least, while they are claiming something to be true that they can't prove, they follow it. The science side often makes claims based on their facts, but there is no link between the two. The big bang doesn't disprove the existence of a supreme being. Why do you hear so many arguments about this 'imaginary friend' as if they have actually disproved the existence of a supreme being?

Quoting Speedfreak:
EDIT: The amount of people that think scientists are just as close-minded as evangelicals is worrying. A good scientist will believe ANYTHING if there's evidence for it. Any scientist worth his salt doesn't just think he argues with logic, it's the basis of his entire profession. The fact that many scientists regard their explanation for the universe as superior to anything the bible has isn't arrogance or close-mindedness, their explanation simply IS superior because thousands of people around the world work their asses off keeping it as updated and as accurate as possible. The opposing side hasn't any work for thousands of years and they don't listen to reason, why the fuck should both explanations be held as equals?

A good scientist, yes, but can you actually tell me that most of the people in favor of the scientific explanation is a good scientist? A good scientist also won't overextend what facts he has and turn it into an assumption. A good scientist will not automatically consider something to be false when there is no proof, just as he will not consider something to be true when there is no proof. Once again, the science side doesn't seem to notice that their knowledge is being turned into beliefs and assumptions without proof, just like the religions they attack are.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: Science never said igniting saltwater is impossible. The crazy f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cker just thinks it can be used as a source of fuel, he doesn't realise he spends more energy igniting it than what's released.

I don't think you looked into this quite enough. Generating a spark and producing a radio wave requires very little energy (creating a radio wave takes less energy than producing a microwave, mind you) compared to buying, creating, and maintaining gasoline production. Those involved with the studies say there's plenty of surplus energy in the process to make it useful, not just the crazy man who stumpled apon it. And as for science aspect, the theory was radio waves couldn't make something combustable, NOT that salt water couldn't be set on fire. Evidently, by using radio waves you can make the molecules act in the right shape to be set on fire instead of just heating the molecule to break down. The only problem is you need more and more salt to continue the reaction... Hello Ocean!

Posted by S

Religious people have an excuse for their idiocy, while scientists don't. That only reflects badly on them because there's no frame of reference for how many true morons are out there. For every scientist attempting to disprove God, there is a religious person utilizing facts to try and prove their favor. Let the fools argue and quite judging the concepts themselves based on it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No. Logic plays no part in faith and that's what religion is based upon. Science disproves many things said within the bible--level-headed thing I said above etc--but science still doesn't answer everything, nor does it necessarily disprove any major religious beliefs. One side doesn't really know any more of the major mysteries than the other, so the whole thing is pretty retarded. Especially when a sciencefag decides to bring logic or facts, which technically he doesn't have to disprove any major christian beliefs, in a religious argument.

Really, it's like Bruce Lee fighting himself with noodles. It's stupid and embarrassing to watch.

Just because science has yet to answer questions does not mean that religion is default correct. The failure to provide an answer by one does not qualify the other in any way or form. religion thus is still an inherently weak, useless system.

So its like bruce lee deciding he didnt want to fight me, and then declaring me the winner. sike, bro.

[quote]Religious people have an excuse for their idiocy

Never confuse a reason with an excuse. Choosing to buy into an illogical and reckless worldview does not give one a free pass for any sort of action they will (or rather, shouldnt, yet seems to in modern society).

Posted by WillisGreeny

I should stop posting crap in this thread to make room for LoS.

Posted by S

Quoting Lord of Spam: Never confuse a reason with an excuse. Choosing to buy into an illogical and reckless worldview does not give one a free pass for any sort of action they will (or rather, shouldnt, yet seems to in modern society).

Reason is a form of logic, no? That'd imply their notions have logic. Semantics :P

Seriously though, it was in reference to Kodachi's notion of idiot scientists being hypocrites. They're more evident because they have no theology to protect them, while those that are religious morons have the guise of religion to protect them from being so easily seen amongst the others. It's not a get-out-of-jail-free thing, more along the lines as they have one more scapegoat than moron-scientists.

Posted by Lord of Spam

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reason
Reason:
"1. a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.
2. a statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.
3. the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.
4. sound judgment; good sense.
5. normal or sound powers of mind; sanity.
6. Logic. a premise of an argument."

I wont tear you in half, because I'm pretty sure you're joking:cookie:

And it should be apparent that in discussions such as these, the main focus of "science" as a group of people is rel scientists, the bulk of which will adhere to proper principles. Sure, there are always going to be deviations, but to claim any sort of generality based on those deviations would be like me claiming that all catholic priests are liar, law dodging pedophiles.

[QUOTE=S

Posted by S

Quoting Hyperactive Poster: How are scientists in general idiotic? They base things on fact, and on theories that they actually attempt to prove, or at least have a logical reason to believe in what they believe. Christians go by nothing but word of mouth. I don't see how you can even compare them.

Maybe I didn't articulate myself well enough but I figured it was pretty cut-and-dry. I didn't say scientists are idiots, I said moron-scientists. Meaning, those that believe in science, yet attempt to disprove faith which bares no reference to logic. "Does not compute, do not pass go, you're ****ing stupid." They believe in Science, rather than merely relying on it, as if it in itself is a religion, and are ****ing morons. Any scientist that follows the principals of Science is by no means a moron (At least from that reference point alone.), rather a more educated person than the rest.

My mistake, I pretty much said the same earlier when talking about Atheists.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Lord of Spam

"I was joking, but I think you verified my jest? Reason is closely related to logic, therefore insinuating that by having "reason", religious people are using a form of logic. Divide by zero."

They have reason as defined by one and two, i.e. there are causes that lead them to think what they think. however, in regards to 3-6, there is often a woeful lack. Multiplied by infinity.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;831819]I don't think you looked into this quite enough. Generating a spark and producing a radio wave requires very little energy (creating a radio wave takes less energy than producing a microwave, mind you) compared to buying, creating, and maintaining gasoline production. Those involved with the studies say there's plenty of surplus energy in the process to make it useful, not just the crazy man who stumpled apon it. And as for science aspect, the theory was radio waves couldn't make something combustable, NOT that salt water couldn't be set on fire. Evidently, by using radio waves you can make the molecules act in the right shape to be set on fire instead of just heating the molecule to break down. The only problem is you need more and more salt to continue the reaction... Hello Ocean!

Link me to the theory that said it couldn't be done and the discovery that you're talking about. I've seen several "discoveries" like this and they've all been a pile of fail.

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up myself. It's bogus. The water only burns while being shot at with radio waves, there's no self-sustaining chain reaction there. All the radio waves are doing is seperating the hydrogen and oxygen and burning it, it's just electrolisis. It takes more energy to seperate them than you get from burning them. It's not the water that's burning but the two elements of water, it's pretty well established in science that hydrogen burns. The guy thinks water is an element for f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck's sake.

Today I discovered my own source of fuel, though. I put a CD in the microwave and there were sparks everywhere! High school science never told me about it so I must have discovered something that physicists have overlooked!

Posted by WillisGreeny

Electrolisis would be the answer...if a current of electricity was involved for separation of the elements oppose to a EMW. Radio waves != Electricity. What matters is how much of a surplus can be gained from the reaction, factoring out the machine that is producing the radio waves, it's not good. So far, more work has to be done, but it's hardly a crack pot theory. As much as I would love to debate this with you, I clearly see you think you're the authority on chemistry...even though I've taken plenty of chemistry classes myself.

Quoted post: Just because science has yet to answer questions does not mean that religion is default correc

When the **** did I say that? Religion isn't right, Science doesn't have an answer. Both should just stay the **** away from each other.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Science has tentative answers which make sense within the framework of current theory, with a few niggling exceptions. Religion just goes "lol *** did it".

One is helpful to humanity, one isnt. See if you can guess which is which!'

and whoever deleted me *****smacking willis down is an infantile prick :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny]Electrolisis would be the answer...if a current of electricity was involved for separation of the elements oppose to a EMW. Radio waves != Electricity. What matters is how much of a surplus can be gained from the reaction, factoring out the machine that is producing the radio waves, it's not good. So far, more work has to be done, but it's hardly a crack pot theory. As much as I would love to debate this with you, I clearly see you think you're the authority on chemistry...even though I've taken plenty of chemistry classes myself.

I didn't mean it was LITERALLY electrolisis, just that it didn't do much more.

I haven't said or implied that I'm any kind of scientific authority, but you definately aren't. The fact is that you're supporting this "amazing discovery" without tackling any of the questions I've asked just proves it. Again, show me the theory in physics that says this is impossible and tell me how this could be remotely useful if it uses more energy than it produces. Fuck, show me a recent article on it to prove that it hasn't been swept under the carpet as crackpot nonsense and it's actually a new field of scientific research.

The very fact you you think that this disproves any theory just because no one's done it before is astounding. It's like saying inventing a new form of the combustion engine automatically breaks those laws of thermodynamics just because no one's done it yet.

Posted by WillisGreeny

You can't decide who's a scientific authority unless you actually are one, so that's a fallacy of credability. And as I said before, two professors of physics are currently researching the phenomina, and probably won't release their results until it's conclusive. As for science, Science can't reveal truth. It uses theories that are well tested, and if a test proves a theory wrong it then gets tossed. The point I've been making is a scientist who sets out to prove a theory wrong usually will find the theory to be correct. That's how theories GET well tested, by scientists trying to see how they don't work. That's a great scientist. My example with the salt water was just something I read happened recently. The laws of physics this phenomina is breaking I was presuming to be the Law of Combustion and that light waves are actually stimulating the salt water molecules to change their energy exchange limits into a combustable state, Which I thought the only way to do this was to change the compression of the system with either heat or electrolisis. I'm not an expert, no, but I did see how this could be possible. You're getting bent out of shape to insult my inteligence for what? An e-penis enlargment? Well ok. I think it's a neat possability, and until I read the articles of the scientists still researching it I won't be entierly convinced either. However, I don't see what's wrong with defending the theory until it's actually proven to be bogus from the higher up intelectuals.

Posted by Shade

Science increases the tl;dr factor tenfold

[quote]You can't decide who's a scientific authority unless you actually are one

Then who decides if you're a scientific authority? Other ones? Who decides if they are? DO YOU SEE HOW STUPID YOUR STATEMENT IS YET OR DO I HAVE TO KEEP GOING FOREVER

[quote]Science can't reveal truth

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Shade: Science increases the tl;dr factor tenfold

Then who decides if you're a scientific authority? Other ones? Who decides if they are? DO YOU SEE HOW STUPID YOUR STATEMENT IS YET OR DO I HAVE TO KEEP GOING FOREVER

Wow, that's ****en stupid. Please don't continue. I guess we should let the local butcher decide who's allowed to be a brain surgeon. I could go on, but seeing how it is with you and having to read...

[quote]WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING

Science is composed of observations and conclusions. Truth is conclusions. Difference being observations are open to different conclusions. We know gravity works because we experience it every day. We know Newtons laws work because the forumlas accurately perdict outcomes. We don't know the truth behind gravity, but we can certainly answer a lot of questions of what it isn't. It's not that ****en hard to comprehend young troll.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;833416]You can't decide who's a scientific authority unless you actually are one, so that's a fallacy of credability. And as I said before, two professors of physics are currently researching the phenomina, and probably won't release their results until it's conclusive.

Again, sources, sir. As in where the hell did you hear this. There's no reason for me to believe this when you're not giving me one. I've heard this story several times over the past few years, each time it's turned out to be completely bogus.

[quote=WillisGreeny;833416]As for science, Science can't reveal truth. It uses theories that are well tested, and if a test proves a theory wrong it then gets tossed. The point I've been making is a scientist who sets out to prove a theory wrong usually will find the theory to be correct. That's how theories GET well tested, by scientists trying to see how they don't work. That's a great scientist.

I think we're arguing from two entirely different perspectives. From a pinciple point of view sure, challenging theories is the basis of good science. But in terms of practicality it's a waste of resources to challenge every theory in sight regardless of how well established and proven they might be with no evidence whatsoever.

[quote=WillisGreeny;833416]My example with the salt water was just something I read happened recently. The laws of physics this phenomina is breaking I was presuming to be the Law of Combustion and that light waves are actually stimulating the salt water molecules to change their energy exchange limits into a combustable state, Which I thought the only way to do this was to change the compression of the system with either heat or electrolisis. I'm not an expert, no, but I did see how this could be possible.

I thought it was radio waves and not light? There's a pretty huge difference.

[quote=WillisGreeny;833416]You're getting bent out of shape to insult my inteligence for what? An e-penis enlargment? Well ok. I think it's a neat possability, and until I read the articles of the scientists still researching it I won't be entierly convinced either. However, I don't see what's wrong with defending the theory until it's actually proven to be bogus from the higher up intelectuals.

You don't see what's wrong with defending a theory that has no evidence or research to back it up? Weren't you trying to tell me what being a good scientist is?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: Again, sources, sir. As in where the hell did you hear this. There's no reason for me to believe this when you're not giving me one. I've heard this story several times over the past few years, each time it's turned out to be completely bogus.

[url=http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:John_Kanzius_Produces_Hydrogen_from_Salt_Water_Using_Radio_Waves#Inventor:_John_Kanzius]Article I Read[/url]

Quoting Speedfreak:
I thought it was radio waves and not light? There's a pretty huge difference.

Is that your debunking statment? That's sorta like saying "I thought it was ice, not water". A radio wave is still a light wave, and to say otherwize would make James Clerk Maxwell cry, and those taking physics and radio astronomy bust their guts laughing. As for my source to understanding Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/nmr.html

The application practise for using radio waves in this way was for figuring out molecular structures, not that it could actually set nuclei twisting into severing its bonds with the rest of the molecule.

Quoting Speedfreak:

You don't see what's wrong with defending a theory that has no evidence or research to back it up? Weren't you trying to tell me what being a good scientist is?

My evidence is from the expert's reactions, not Speedfreak's highschool thermodynamic calculations. PhD Rustum Roy is a chemist professor, specialized in water structures, and for some reason he thought he should help in this "crazzy nut" man's research. Whatever evidence there is, it's convincing enough for experts to bother traveling to Pennsylvania. Until I read the expert's evidence, I'm leaving it plausable. You don't see what's wrong with bashing any new idea that challenges past understanding of natural science?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;834789]Is that your debunking statment?

No, it's merely a question.

[quote=WillisGreeny;834789]That's sorta like saying "I thought it was ice, not water". A radio wave is still a light wave, and to say otherwize would make James Clerk Maxwell cry, and those taking physics and radio astronomy bust their guts laughing.

They're both different sections of the electromagnetic spectrum, but they are not the same thing. Saying they are the same because they're different parts of the same spectrum is like saying red and blue are the same colour. Hell, it's like saying lead and gold are the same because the're both made of protons, electrons and neutrons.

[quote=WillisGreeny;834789] As for my source to understanding Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, here:

[URL]http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/nmr.html[/URL]

Can't really remember why I'd need a source of that and I don't see how it'd be proof of your understanding, but it's certainly beyond my level of comprehension.

[quote=WillisGreeny;834789]My evidence is from the expert's reactions, not Speedfreak's highschool thermodynamic calculations.

Okay, stop. I'm not going to continue discussing this with you if you keep saying that. All I have done is disagree with you, why the defensiveness?

[quote=WillisGreeny;834789]PhD Rustum Roy is a chemist professor, specialized in water structures, and for some reason he thought he should help in this "crazzy nut" man's research. Whatever evidence there is, it's convincing enough for experts to bother traveling to Pennsylvania. Until I read the expert's evidence, I'm leaving it plausable. You don't see what's wrong with bashing any new idea that challenges past understanding of natural science?

I thought this was another example of several similar stories where someone messing around with saltwater does something that appears amazing, but actually isn't when a real scientist get's involved.

Regardless, I read the article you linked. The fact that they mention zero-point energy as a possible explanation only made me more sceptical. With respect, I'll believe this when I see it.

Regardless, this proves nothing. This discovery was not made through setting out to disprove any theory. They chanced upon it and when they found there was no theory that explained it they started research.

Anyone working working from disproving a well-established theory as the basis of research is wasting their time, because they have no reason to not believe that theory in the first place. And that is unscientific.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: No, it's merely a question.

They're both different sections of the electromagnetic spectrum, but they are not the same thing. Saying they are the same because they're different parts of the same spectrum is like saying red and blue are the same colour. Hell, it's like saying lead and gold are the same because the're both made of protons, electrons and neutrons.

You're mixing terminology up. You said radiowaves and light are not the same. Big difference. Light = electromagnetic spectrum, and anything in there. The spectrum is the range of all wave lengths/frequencies, but all of it is still LIGHT. So, if you had said radio waves and visible light isn't the same thing, then I wouldn't have said anything. What you actually said was red and colours aren't the same thing. I said they used radio waves, and I said they used light. Thats just like saying "they used red" and "they used a colour".

Can't really remember why I'd need a source of that and I don't see how it'd be proof of your understanding, but it's certainly beyond my level of comprehension.

This is the method they're using to break the bonds. I'm not implying I understand all of the stuff completely, specifically all that calc, but the main points behind this method is the light manipulates the nuclei to spin within the molecule, bouncing back waves which can then be captured and calculated to find molecule properties. The method's application was meant for figureing out molecular shapes, and only recently, with this saltwater burning guy, have I heard about this method being used for breaking chemical bonds.

Quoting Speedfreak:
Okay, stop. I'm not going to continue discussing this with you if you keep saying that. All I have done is disagree with you, why the defensiveness?

And what exactly are you doing with your own opinion, sir? You're not exactly perfect yourself. Sorry I'm not a sheep, but you've been indirectly criticizing my understanding of science since the get go, so don't act so coy of my retaliation.

I thought this was another example of several similar stories where someone messing around with saltwater does something that appears amazing, but actually isn't when a real scientist get's involved.

Use the plural. Scientists.

Regardless, I read the article you linked. The fact that they mention zero-point energy as a possible explanation only made me more sceptical. With respect, I'll believe this when I see it.

Regardless, this proves nothing. This discovery was not made through setting out to disprove any theory. They chanced upon it and when they found there was no theory that explained it they started research.

Anyone working working from disproving a well-established theory as the basis of research is wasting their time, because they have no reason to not believe that theory in the first place. And that is unscientific.

As a basis, no, but as part of the experimentation process, it's very important. So, the big bang machine Europe is building right now (a well established theory) has to have millions in construction costs to prove an alread existing theory. The intention is to get conclusive, and from my perspective it's still setting out to disprove the big bang.

[quote]Light, or visible light, is electromagnetic radiation of a wavelength that is visible to the human eye (about 400–700 nm). In a scientific context, the word light is sometimes used to refer to the entire electromagnetic spectrum.[1] Light is composed of elementary particles called photons.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light

Light = Visible part only.

:cookie:

I love how discussing religion always leads into arguments about everything from science to the ****ing light spectrum.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Did you not even read your own quote? In a scientific context, the word light is sometimes used to refer to the entire electromegnetic spectrum.

Light = Electromegnetic spectrum &| visible light.

source:
[quote=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/light]
1. Physics
a. Electromagnetic radiation that has a wavelength in the range from about 4,000 (violet) to about 7,700 (red) angstroms and may be perceived by the normal unaided human eye.
b. Electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength.

If I say light, and then switch to radio waves, it's kinda obvious which letter I'm refering to.

:cookie:

btw, you revived this thread earlier, so suffer the consequences.

Posted by Shade

Where's Vamp when you need a thread split?

oh wait we already have a handy dandy smod in this thread, maybe he'll do something!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;839101] Sorry I'm not a sheep, but you've been indirectly criticizing my understanding of science since the get go

No, I've been directly criticising your understanding of science. The basis of our discussion is our understanding of science, how else can I disagree with you other than by criticising your understanding?

[quote=WillisGreeny;839101]If I say light, and then switch to radio waves, it's kinda obvious which letter I'm refering to.

Honestly, I've never heard of the entire elctromagnetic spectrum being referred to as light, especially since only a small fraction is visible.

Nevertheless, radio waves and light are not interchangable terms in this context. Radio waves specifically are what ignites salt water, not the visible light part of the spectrum or any wavelength on the electromagnetic (light if you prefer) spectrum.

[quote=WillisGreeny;839101]As a basis, no, but as part of the experimentation process, it's very important.

Well then, we don't disagree at all. That was fun.

[quote]
Did you not even read your own quote? In a scientific context, the word light is sometimes used to refer to the entire electromegnetic spectrum.

Lol, Self pwn on my part.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Shade: Where's Vamp when you need a thread split?

oh wait we already have a handy dandy smod in this thread, maybe he'll do something!

Vamp would lock this, not split it.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Hey, hey, hey Would Spirituality count as religion? (native american spirituality to be exact)

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak:

Honestly, I've never heard of the entire elctromagnetic spectrum being referred to as light, especially since only a small fraction is visible.

Taking some anstronomy classes would change that. Radio waves and X rays are all considered the same when calculating distances. Sometimes, just measuring the waves with other waves (done to figure out rotation of an object) is more imporant than what part of the spectrum the waves are in.

As for me saying radio waves and light interchangably, my understanding says it's ok. radio waves could ignite water, and radio waves is a wave length of light. And I doubt radio waves is the only wave length that can do this; I'm sure the range exceeds into microwaves.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;839369]Taking some anstronomy classes would change that. Radio waves and X rays are all considered the same when calculating distances. Sometimes, just measuring the waves with other waves (done to figure out rotation of an object) is more imporant than what part of the spectrum the waves are in.

As for me saying radio waves and light interchangably, my understanding says it's ok. radio waves could ignite water, and radio waves is a wave length of light. And I doubt radio waves is the only wave length that can do this; I'm sure the range exceeds into microwaves.

Even so, microwaves and radiowaves still don't cover the entire magnetic spectrum. It's like saying "mushrooms kill people" when only a few kinds do.

Posted by Shade

Quoting TimeSkipz: Hey, hey, hey Would Spirituality count as religion? (native american spirituality to be exact)

Though your choice of words is suspect, yes.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: Even so, microwaves and radiowaves still don't cover the entire magnetic spectrum. It's like saying "mushrooms kill people" when only a few kinds do.

They all move at the speed of light, so I call them all light.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, that holds up in a scientific discussion.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting WillisGreeny: They all move at the speed of light, so I call them all light.

photons, neutrinos, and antineutrinos also move at the speed of light.

you fail

Posted by WillisGreeny

Is that so?

A Photon is just a hypothetical particle model of light for explaining why it behaves like a wave and a particle. So, ofcourse light would travel the speed of light...

Netutrinos are now thought to be moving slower than the speed of light because scientists have figured out its mass.
[url=http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/1497]Source[/url]

Rusty pwnage LoS...rusty.

Posted by Shade

The Millennium Falcon moves at the speed of light. Would you call the Millennium Falcon light?

You cannot break my logic. It is infallible.

Posted by pink_lycanthrope

“I believe in Gad, only I spell it Nature.” -Frank Lloyd Wright
Oh Yeah!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Athiests are hard core anti-religion!!! They should be banashed to China, or even better, Cuba!

Posted by misogenie

I learn that Christianity is the only true religion when it comes to the miracle healing of incurable diseases. Puzzled doctors who do not accept religion for treating patients might think what I think that religion could be the key secret to unlock and release positive strong emotions every single minute such as fearlessness and laughter from the brain, so that new brain cells can grow to fight cancer and viruses around the body. Supernatural magic although unproven by science remains hidden until Jesus Christ's return even if waiting might seem forever. ::cool:o

Posted by Lord of Spam

You never fail to contribute your own special brand of completely incoherent and totaly retarded gibberish. Die in a fire.