Should I get a 30GB Zune, or a 500 GB EX HD?

Posted by Crazy K

Well, Christmas is fast on its way, and I want to get some more file space for my music. I found a fairly cheap 30GB Zune for $99.99 on Buy.com and I was wondering what you guys suggest I buy. A Zune or a 500GB EX HD that goes for around $120 or so at my local Office Max?

Posted by Xero

I'd go for the one with more space so that I would never think that I might run out of space. For about 30$ more (including the taxes) I think it's worth getting the one with much more memory. But for the device itself, I don't know which one is better really. I don't have either and I don't know much about either.

Posted by Omni

Get an external HDD. Easy choice.

Posted by Borealis

I would get the EX HDD, it's pretty much a couple dozen dollar more and you're getting more bang for your buck.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

external

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If it's just for storage, then duhrrrr external.

Posted by junior senior

external.

bigger is better ;)

Posted by Shade

External all the way.

Posted by Kit

Unless you're going to actually use the Zune as an MP3 player, get the Hard Drive.

Posted by xuclo

Uhhh... you guys, I'm almost 100% positive that a Zune will not work as an external hard drive. Like an iPod, it synchronizes with your computer.

OHSHT, a 500 GB EHD? I'd hit that **** up.

Quoted post: Uhhh... you guys, I'm almost 100% positive that a Zune will not work as an external hard drive. Like an iPod, it synchronizes with your computer.

You'd be wrong. http://lifehacker.com/software/zune/use-your-zune-as-a-portable-hard-drive-217010.php

Posted by Gollum

Quoting xuclo: Uhhh... you guys, I'm almost 100% positive that a Zune will not work as an external hard drive. Like an iPod, it synchronizes with your computer.

OHSHT, a 500 GB EHD? I'd hit that **** up.

You can set it to not sync to your computer, you know. You can use an iPod as a hard drive.

Posted by Crazy K

The thing that sucks, is that my brother wants to put our money together to get an Xbox 360, and I'm not to sure if I want to get that yet.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah, the only problem is that we might buy it used from my sister, they rarely play it. And if I ever get the red light error, I'd be screwed.

Posted by Kit

Make her give you the warrantee for it.

Or get an Intercooler.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Crazy K;780446]And if I ever get the red light error, I'd be screwed.
You don't need any kind of contract or whatever. You just phone them up with the serial number. I'm serial.

BUY 360 AND PLAY GAMES WITH VGC [SIZE=1]maybe[/SIZE]

Posted by Crazy K

Then it's settled. I'll get a 360, but that is only if they decide to sell it to us for Christmas, my brother keeps badgering them about it.

If we do end up getting it, they'll probably include these games and accessories:

Fear, Saints Row, Guitar Hero 2 with Guitar, Dead Rising, Dead Or Alive 4, 2 controllers, and everything else that comes with the 360. If I have money left over I'll buy internet for it.

Anyways, if I do get the 360, what kind of wireless device could I buy so I could play on Xbox Live? I have my computer in the family room, and the 360 will go in my room.

Oh my, a wireless Network adapter costs a **** load: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B000B6MLV4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1195359002&sr=8-1"]Network Adapter[/URL]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just get twenty foot of ethernet cable.

Yeah, wireless is terrible for online games. Though you won't get the RRoD if you keep your Xbox out in the open where it has a ton of space to suck in a lot of air. Just don't live it on the ground and in a tight space and you'll be good.

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=The X;780714]Just get twenty foot of ethernet cable.
Are Ethernet cables fairly cheap?

Would this be good for the 360?

[URL]http://www.optimization-world.com/details/prodid/33.html[/URL]

Actually I might purchase this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4660731

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;780726]Yeah, wireless is terrible for online games. Though you won't get the RRoD if you keep your Xbox out in the open where it has a ton of space to suck in a lot of air. Just don't live it on the ground and in a tight space and you'll be good.

Will do, thanks. :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Any ethernet cable will be okay. Just connect it to your router and run it along the walls. Might as well get the 50 foot cable, since it's a mere $9.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Gollum: You can set it to not sync to your computer, you know. You can use an iPod as a hard drive.

****, wtf have these people been feeding me.

Oh well, learn something new every day.

Posted by Crazy K

So could I connect the 360 into my cable modem, and use a USB cord to connect my Cable modem to the computer? Or would I have to buy a router too? And how much do they usually go for?

You need a router. Your modem only allows for one connection to be hooked up at a time, a USB cord won't supply a connection. As for routers, a wired one goes for pretty cheap. Just make sure it's 360 compatible (listed on xbox.com) and you turn off the router firewall and open the NAT settings. But a 360 compatible router should do the latter two things out of the box.

also, just realised this was in the music board. tech board cannoooooooooon

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You need a router. I tried something similar to your USB thing back in the days of originalBox. Did not work.

IT'S GONNA BE WORTH IT, HANG IN THERE CRAZY K.

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;781782]You need a router. Your modem only allows for one connection to be hooked up at a time, a USB cord won't supply a connection. As for routers, a wired one goes for pretty cheap. Just make sure it's 360 compatible (listed on xbox.com) and you turn off the router firewall and open the NAT settings. But a 360 compatible router should do the latter two things out of the box.

So, how much do wired routers usually go for. I checked out Newegg.com, and found some reasonably priced ones, but how cheap do they go for?

And if you can, please suggest me a good one.

20 bucks typically. I have a ****ty wired/wireless microsoft router I got from my dad that only cost him 10 bucks. I can't host games but I'm always in green and never had any problems with connecting. So in this case quality isn't a big deal, just as long as you know it works with the Xbox.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Actually, if you're not concerned about somebody using the internet at the same time you play Live, I wouldn't worry about the router right away. You can just alternate plugging the 360 and the computer in until you can afford a decent router.

Posted by Crazy K

Oh, so I can use the Modem for XBL? I just wont be able to surf the web while playing XBL. Thanks. :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, I kinda assumed when you said your computer was in the family room that people would want to be online at the same time as you.

Posted by Crazy K

[quote=The X;782915]Yeah, I kinda assumed when you said your computer was in the family room that people would want to be online at the same time as you.

Yeah. I'll most likely game it out at night, since my parents go to bed early, and I'm sure my brother won't mind. So I might be able to buy that Ethernet cable this Friday. Then I'll save up for XBL. **** I need a job.

Quoted post: Actually, if you're not concerned about somebody using the internet at the same time you play Live, I wouldn't worry about the router right away. You can just alternate plugging the 360 and the computer in until you can afford a decent router.

He can afford twenty bucks I bet. Plus, it's ****ing annoying having to unhook the connection every time you want to start playing.

Posted by Crazy K

It'll be a lot longer before I get XBL. My brother and I are focusing on getting Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. He wanted to get Kane and Lynch: Dead Man, but I changed him around. But yeah I need to find a job or something.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

COD4 ruulleees!

CoD4 without xbox live? idk