Parents and video games.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7071108,00.html] Read Article[/url]

This reminded me of Vamp when he said he played video games for 16 hours steight the other day. :D

Posted by S

I predict video games will become a worldwide pass-time, and a world-wide addiction. In a way, its a critique of our current society; people are just not satiated with the way things are now, so they find an alternative. China is a prime example, it being on an epidemic scale.

Posted by Fate

Even just spending an hour in the same room with your kid while he/she is playing is better than doing nothing at all. Parents shouldn't suck this hard.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Yeah, more damage is done by parents that don't spend any time with their kids than children just playing video games. I remember getting yelled at for playing video games too much one day because I was supposedly waisting all my time. As soon as I turned off the Snes though my parents watched TV.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Quoting WillisGreeny: As soon as I turned off the Snes though my parents watched TV.

Haha, my mom would kick me out of the TV room when I was playing exactly because she wanted to watch TV.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

My dad used to be into games around the N64 era, but I guess he lost interest. My aunt was a pretty good gamer too - probably the only person I know who can handle the Medusa heads in NES Castlevania.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not surprised there. All this should change though when our generation grows up and becomes parents. Unless of course we turn into our parents...

Posted by Speedfreak

The most involved my parents got was when I had to convince my mum to let me get Perfect Dark, which had an 18 certificate. Well, I say convince, we were already in the store and I had a pre-order, the store clerk just explained why it got an 18. My mum was more concerned over whether or not the violence in the game was excessive and whether or not you played as a good guy.

Posted by Xero

My mom kept me away from VGs all the time I lived at her place. And my brother is strickly forbidden to play any form of game as well to prevent him from being addicted to any of them. My mom and step dad are of those parents who want their kids to be outside and play. Breathe air and make friends. Not even going a friend's house to play VGs.

But my dad himself plays once in a while certain games. Mostly Starcraft, Myst and Wii Sports. He doesn't mind me and my step brother playing hours of VGs if that's what we enjoy doing. Although if it's a 12 hours straight, chances are he'll tell us to take a break. And I must admit that playing for 12 hours or more a VG is quite a lot. No matter how fun it is, spending a whole day in front of the TV isn't healthy. A few hours each day is ok, but 12 hours is too much.
I agree with my dad. I'm glad he doesn't us playing whatever, but he's counting on us to moderate ourselves with VGs and I usually don't play that much. Longer I've been playing was 7 hours on Gunbound. First night I played it. After that, a 6 hours straight on SC battle.net. And I felt ****ty for having spent the entire afternoon playing because I realized I didn't eat, missed a few shows I liked and did not take my shower. I wasn't very proud of myself on that one.
But I wouldn't be of those parents who start controlling kids to keep them away from VG and make them feel bad for playing because I'm against it. I'll never be against it. It's fun. But there's a limit to fun I believe. School comes before, etc.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Some parents must just assume kids naturally learn how to moderate free time with out their involvment, forgetting how much their own parents had probably harped on them for playing outside all day. Just like the parents against violence on TV, they just want to blame something, thinking that that something is responsable for why their kid is a lazy ***, instead of blaming themselves. My parents bought me all kinds of video games, but I had to earn them by racking leaves, painting walls, shoveling snow, exc. Video games were the reward, and before I could start playing a videogame I needed to spend one hour on homework, even if there wasn't any due the next day. Lucky for me, my parents saw how to use video games as motivation, and in the end they taught me moderation.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

Parents and games just never seem to get along, its something that most of them will just never understand, and i think the word addiction is crazy to use then we have a TON of people addicted to movies and TV and those are just things that are looked at as, no matter how much you watch its just TV or a movie. At least with games you are interacting with it.

As for me its my hobby and i don't have enough money to play in a mens league hockey, i loved ice hockey but once you graduate its all said and done. and no i am not in college if you are wondering.

I spend my time playing video games, my parents watch movies and my sister is on the phone, all in ultra excessive amounts but thats just what we do. and from now to the day i die i will come home from work and play some games. its my TV and almost everyone i know just goes to work and comes home to a TV watches it cooks dinner eats it in the living room starts to doze of and goes to be.

Video Games - My anti-television.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]Do I have a story for you guys.

When I was a kid, my parents had concocted an insidious system of limiting the privileges allotted to my brother and myself. We were required to do chores and in return, we either earned money or were given "Privilege Chips," which were poker chips we could spend to play video games (there was no price for watching tv, but we didn't have cable so there wasn't much point in doing that since we were little kids).

Conversely, if we ever got in trouble, we could either sacrifice our "Privilege Chips" or receive a spanking with the dreaded "Black Stick," which was basically a hollow, black, plastic tube that stung like hell if you got hit with it.

Because of this system, I didn't spend much time in the house because I valued my money too much (aside from which I had a limitless supply of energy, my best friend lived next door, and there was a *** **** forest on our property ripe for the exploring). My brother, on the other hand, loved video games (although he doesn't play much anymore; now I'm the gamer), and would often suffer "The Black Stick" in order to preserve his precious "Privilege Chips."

Good times, good times.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Degeneration

It's no wonder that older parents aren't so enthusiastic about gaming. They were already in their twenties by the time hits like Doom, Mario 3, and SFII came out. It would be harder at that point to support a hobby that consumes so much time and money.

Like Vampiro said, statistics will change when this generation, with its Halo/Pokeyman background, reaches the parenting stage.

No longer will the average parent be able to say, "In my day, we threw rocks at sticks to pass the time."

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting F1NALSMASH: Parents and games just never seem to get along, its something that most of them will just never understand, and i think the word addiction is crazy to use then we have a TON of people addicted to movies and TV and those are just things that are looked at as, no matter how much you watch its just TV or a movie. At least with games you are interacting with it.

I doubt many parents would argue watching TV is much better than playing video games, but TV or talking on the phone have been considered by most parents the lesser of two evils. I blame stupid **** like this article written by a college student who doesn't play video games as for why some parents get the wrong idea.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro04/web1/ekardaras.html

Her argument is rediculous, concluding that because she watched two brothers fight after playing a video game it somehow proves her point. Brothers have been fighting years before video games, so to even include that observation ****es me off. What if the two brothers were really racing and the younger brother DID beat the older brother in real life (since she argues video games distorts reality), I'm sure the older brother would have kicked his *** then too. So how do we stop the two brothers from fighting? You tell them "its a game, grow the **** up". Even if someone is playing a video game by themself and get mad, the same is just as possible if they were shooting hoops and missed a bunch, resulting in kicking the ball. We get angry at our selves whether it's video games, sports, or anything that presents challenges inwhich we fail. Hell, Is it impossible to learn self control? Video games, in all aspects, defeat the human spirit to cope? NO, IT DOESN"T...stupid paper

And the study she used with less than 300 people says what really? that they could only find losers that played video games who were willing to take a study have less brain activity? really? What about people who play video games AND read books? What were their parents like? Some key details to consider...

Is it possible to blame parenting anymore?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Mr. Awesome: [COLOR=Navy]When I was a kid, my parents had concocted an insidious system of limiting the privileges allotted to my brother and myself. We were required to do chores and in return, we either earned money or were given "Privilege Chips," which were poker chips we could spend to play video games (there was no price for watching tv, but we didn't have cable so there wasn't much point in doing that since we were little kids). [/COLOR]

Oddly enough, we had a similar system for a while. We were given, like, four chips a day which each translated to a half-hour of TV... we didn't have video games at the time.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting WillisGreeny:
Her argument is rediculous, concluding that because she watched two brothers fight after playing a video game it somehow proves her point. Brothers have been fighting years before video games, so to even include that observation ****es me off. What if the two brothers were really racing and the younger brother DID beat the older brother in real life (since she argues video games distorts reality), I'm sure the older brother would have kicked his *** then too. So how do we stop the two brothers from fighting? You tell them "its a game, grow the **** up".
Is it possible to blame parenting anymore?

Are you kidding? Violence didn't exist until video games were created. Jack Thompson makes this very clear. Also, parents can't be responsible for their kids, that's the job of retailers. Gosh.[/sarcasm]

Quoted post: Oddly enough, we had a similar system for a while. We were given, like, four chips a day which each translated to a half-hour of TV... we didn't have video games at the time.

Man, sucks to be you kids. I don't recall ever having restrictions, not even a curfew. And I turned out to be one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. HUH. Just goes to show you it has nothing to do with violence in video games, movies or TV.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Man, sucks to be you kids. I don't recall ever having restrictions, not even a curfew. And I turned out to be one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. HUH. Just goes to show you it has nothing to do with violence in video games, movies or TV.

Video games + Movies + TV - Restrictions = Hating Earthbound

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Man, sucks to be you kids. I don't recall ever having restrictions, not even a curfew. And I turned out to be one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. HUH. Just goes to show you it has nothing to do with violence in video games, movies or TV.

Ours didn't have much to do with any kind of negative effect it had on our psyche or whatever, it was more due to our inactivity. We'd have sat in front of the tube all day without those restrictions, and now I see it was good for them to force that on us.

Though the reason we didn't have videogames was because our parents thought it made us violent. We got really into it, so if we lost we'd be all angry and maybe chuck a controller or something, so they sold the controllers and all our games and put the NES on the top shelf of the closet, not to be touched again for several years. It was a long time before we could convince our parents to get a game system again... I completely missed out on the SNES generation. I think I actually had a more stressed life without a hobby like videogames to enjoy, though that might just have been the trivial woes of childhood.

Quoted post: Video games + Movies + TV - Restrictions = Hating Earthbound

Nah. The fact that Earthbound is a ****ty game makes me hate it. I like aspects of it, I just don't like the game as a whole.

Posted by Fate

I wasn't given restrictions because I never broke any rules. The closest thing to a restriction I got was to babysit while my aunt was at work. I was once asked a question if I would rather live my life as a bad guy or good guy; I chose good. When asked to explain why, I said because it was easier.

Posted by Murasaki Lotus

You know, I think most parents are just too lazy to get invovled with what their kids like to do and research the games or shows they want to play/see. So with them being lazy, they are quick to blame video game companies for making maturer games and the stores for selling them. I feel like parents shouldn't expect someone else (government or what-not) to make things easier on them. I'm a parent of two boys, ages 2 and 3. Sure theyaren't asking to play Halo or Manhunt 2, but they do play games. And I will sit next to them and watch as they control Tiger Woods and swing 60 times to get theball out of bounds. I had the kids so it is my job to determine if they can handle a game.

Quoted post: I wasn't given restrictions because I never broke any rules.

Same here. As long as I called home to say where I was I could stay out as late as I wanted simply because my mom trusted me. Hell, I never even ended up drinking either. Plus, all the kids I've known who did have heavy restrictions turned out to be really ****ed up.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Same here. As long as I called home to say where I was I could stay out as late as I wanted simply because my mom trusted me. Hell, I never even ended up drinking either. Plus, all the kids I've known who did have heavy restrictions turned out to be really ****ed up.

Funny how that is, huh? Same has happened to me; most of the over-bearing parents now have alcoholic drug addicts for kids. I've started to wonder if it's a genetic predisposition too though.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Fate: I wasn't given restrictions because I never broke any rules. The closest thing to a restriction I got was to babysit while my aunt was at work. I was once asked a question if I would rather live my life as a bad guy or good guy; I chose good. When asked to explain why, I said because it was easier.

Not if your life was like KotoR!

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Fate: I wasn't given restrictions because I never broke any rules.

That's how things are for me nowadays, though I had to fight for it. A while after my parents abandoned the "chip" system, they suddenly started making restrictions even though I wasn't really doing anything wrong... I turned into a little rebel, basically doing what I could to ignore/disobey the restrictions, and after a while they quit trying and I turned into a good little boy again.

Quoting Murasaki Lotus: You know, I think most parents are just too lazy to get invovled with what their kids like to do and research the games or shows they want to play/see.

I doubt it's so much that as it is them not understanding them in the first place. They take it at face value because it's something foreign to most of them.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Somehow missed this during October:

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/oct/26/games.childrens] Read This [/url]

Go Will Wright, Go!

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Exactly.
I had no restrictions when it came to video games, t.v, etc and look how I turned out.
I'm not violent at all. & I'm not in anyway crazy or corrupt.
My parents always knew what I was playing or doing when I was growing up.
They didn't care if a game or movie I was watching was violent or not.
They just made sure I could distinguish between whats real & whats fake, whats right & whats wrong.
Thats the problem nowadays. Parents just don't seem to care about their children.

Or they care too much and want to shelter them from practically everything. It seems like most parents choose to take one extreme or the other, not realising there's a perfect balance.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=VirtualRealityZone;782452]Exactly.
I had no restrictions when it came to video games, t.v, etc and look how I turned out.
I'm not violent at all. & I'm not in anyway crazy or corrupt.
My parents always knew what I was playing or doing when I was growing up.
They didn't care if a game or movie I was watching was violent or not.
They just made sure I could distinguish between whats real & whats fake, whats right & whats wrong.
Thats the problem nowadays. Parents just don't seem to care about their children.

I hated when my parents would say I spent too much time on the games or outside, but when I was inside spending time with them there were always distractions and disturbances ruining the time we had together. I never really realized how much time I was wasting on games (about 4-5 hours a day) until my first vacation but it was practically too late since I was 16 at the time(around the time I joined VGC for the first time!). I look back at that time and feel kind of ashamed I wasted so much time....

How is that considered wasting your time if you enjoyed yourself? Not like you would've done anything constructive with your time anyways.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Or they care too much and want to shelter them from practically everything. It seems like most parents choose to take one extreme or the other, not realising there's a perfect balance.

This is true. Parents hold on to their values so much these days, it's like they want their kids to look and behave like them. Which is pretty normal, but quite unpleasant for a kid. What kid enjoys being restricted? A simple warning speech should be enough.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I agree with what Will Wright said though, that it's the generation gap that's causing most of the problems. And like what Vamp said, how is enjoying yourself a waste of time? With all the stresses that are accumulated through high school, work, and parents, video games create sanity in an insane world. Hell, if those people who are so against video games would play some maybe they'd be happier.

Posted by Xero

Quoting WillisGreeny: With all the stresses that are accumulated through high school, work, and parents, video games create sanity in an insane world. Hell, if those people who are so against video games would play some maybe they'd be happier.

I agree with this 100%. I used to use video games to forget about my problems not so long ago. But now I barely play any games anymore so I use the internet.
But the thing is that my parents find video games stressful. I remember playing Gauntlet with my step mother and she went nuts because things were happening too quickly and she swore she'd never touch a single game again. Oh well.