resident evil

Posted by muffla

so i finally sat down and beat resident evil 4 (on the wii) i really liked it. are there any other resident evil games that i should buy? even if its jsut for the story cuz i heard game play is a lil diffrent. i alsot heard there is a remake of the original for the ds, however i couldent find it on ebgames.com does anybody know if it exists and if its any good?

Posted by Roger Smith

Yeah, Deadly Silence. It's a cool remake/port of the original. It's got 1st person knife fighting, multiplayer and other extra stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_%28video_game%29#Deadly_Silence

Posted by Zeta

GCN version of RE1 is vastly superior to the DS one, from what I've heard.

Posted by Roger Smith

Well...yeah. GC a WEE bit more powerful then the DS :)

Posted by muffla

i really want to get into the series now, if its not too much trouble can sombody put the games in chronological order?

Posted by Last Fog

There's a chance that if you loved RE4, you won't like any of the others, because 4 is a totally different style of play.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=muffla;779124]i really want to get into the series now, if its not too much trouble can sombody put the games in chronological order?

3 (first half of the game)
3 (second half of the game)
Code Veronica

Umbrella Chronicles is all over the place.

Posted by Cloudstud

Haha just reading your post speed freak made me remember resident evil. Putting them in chronological order like that.

I remember my friend when resident evil 2 came out was really excited about it. I never played the series so didnt even really want to try it. At the time I was only into sports games. He finally talked me into it, and have been a resident evil addict since then until now.

I still think RE2 was the best. There is a very cool dynamic about playing as 2 different characters but seeing 2 different sides of the game. If you just play the first it doesnt really all come together until you play the other! Memories memories......

I find it hard to get excited about games like I did back then... Kinda sad, dont know if its me or the games just dont have the same charm.

Posted by Arcadios

Everyone has been talking about how great Resident Evil 4 is. Zeta sounded like he had an organsim everytime we chatted on MSN so I went on wikipedia to check out what allthe fuss was about and it got a **** load of awards. Bought it but didn't play for like a week since I was playing Super Mario Galaxy. After I was done with SMG I got onto Resident Evil 4 and I couldn't but it down. Everytime I was like "HOLY ****, THIS GAME IS ****ING AWESOME". Even when I shut the game off I wanted more but couldn't until later. And then it just kept getting better and better. "I CAN ****ING KILL ANYONE" and so when I was at the end I was like "YES, YOU ARE THE GREATEST BOSS EVER" but then.....the last boss was too easy....even Krausier was all meh since he didn't give me too much of a rush when he showed he was infected which I felt was suppose to be the best part.

I'd give this game a 9 out of 10.
But Last Fog said that the other games aren't the same gameplay as 4 so I might not enjoy the rest. :(
I'll probably get Umbrella Chronicles regardless since I already have the Wii Zapper.

Posted by Hot Ice Fox

5 is coming soon

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Hot Ice Fox;831129]5 is coming soon
Sure it is.

Posted by Speedfreak

Can't wait to play the "kill africans" game.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I am shocked and appalled at your statement, Speedfreak. Killing digital black people is every bit as racist as killing black people in real life. Do the consciencious thing: Tell Capcom to let us go back to killing the spanish-speaking peoples of the world.

Posted by Speedfreak

Honestly, it's 90% of the reason I want to play it. Maybe I'll pretend I'm playing as the other team in 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

You'd have to rub an ample amount of sand into your analog sticks and wear beer goggles while playing RE5 to duplicate the gameplay of that game, I should say.

Posted by Old_Snake

Is Resident Evil 5 coming out for the Wii?

Posted by ExoXile

Nay.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting ExoXile: Nay.

Oh, well, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't too sure if there had been any new announcements or anything.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

[quote=Speedfreak;831356]Can't wait to play the "kill africans" game.

Africans with Las Plagas

Posted by NegativeTrend

Chronicles is that ****.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting NegativeTrend: Chronicles is that ****.

Was that the rail shooter or whatever that was a retelling of older games from Umbrella's point of view or something?

Quoting Old_Snake: Was that the rail shooter or whatever that was a retelling of older games from Umbrella's point of view or something?

Nothing so interesting. Basically all of the main scenes and boss fights from previous games rolled into a rail-shooter. Think of it as the Cliff's Notes of Resident Evil. It gets the job done, but playing the full games is much more worthwhile.

Posted by Old_Snake

Oh, really, so basically just a rehash of parts of the older games in rail-shooter format, eh? Sounds pretty useless.

Posted by ExoXile

It's pretty useful, it's fukken fun with a friend, for one thing.

Also, there's a new segment of the story in it.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting ExoXile: It's pretty useful, it's fukken fun with a friend, for one thing.

Also, there's a new segment of the story in it.

Well, I was only talking story-wise as far as the useless comment goes. I guess that's my bad I wasn't all to clear about that.

So, there is some new content story-wise? Add anything of particular interest or significance to the overall RE mythos

Posted by ExoXile

Yes.

Posted by Old_Snake

Care to spoil?

Posted by ExoXile

Project Talos.

Wesker being awesome, etc.

Posted by Sinister Obsession

what about resident evil 5. I can't wait for that game.

Posted by #061402

Did you guys know that Devil May Cry was originally intended to be Resident Evil 4?
Anyway, while RE4 might be a good game, it fails miserably as a Resident Evil game. I missed the so called "crappy camera angles" (I love 'em; you never know when a Hunter might come and sweep your head right offa your shoulders.), ammo/health conservation and careful planning on which corpses to burn and not. (In REmake, at least.)

The best part about RE4 was dying in every way possible.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=#061402;851829]Anyway, while RE4 might be a good game, it fails miserably as a Resident Evil game.

I disagree with this in the principle that "Resident Evil" is little more than a title, and a game being a failure because it's different to other games of that title despite still being designed by the same person is kind of ridiculous. The remake of the first game was a lot better, though.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Speedfreak: I disagree with this in the principle that "Resident Evil" is little more than a title, and a game being a failure because it's different to other games of that title despite still being designed by the same person is kind of ridiculous. The remake of the first game was a lot better, though.

Yeah, true, but the title says a lot. When it's a series, you expect a certain kind of gameplay from games with that specific title; in the most extreme way I could think of, try putting "Myst" on a Halo game.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=#061402;851870]Yeah, true, but the title says a lot. When it's a series, you expect a certain kind of gameplay from games with that specific title; in the most extreme way I could think of, try putting "Myst" on a Halo game.

Well, again, there were like 6 Resi games before RE4. I don't like the idea that once you make a sequel any game with that title must be similar to the others.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Speedfreak: Well, again, there were like 6 Resi games before RE4. I don't like the idea that once you make a sequel any game with that title must be similar to the others.

Personal preference, I guess. I prefer to know what kind of game I'm buying. :P

Posted by Speedfreak

You're telling me as a Resi fan you didn't check out the year's worth of previews, trailers, gameplay videos or reviews prior to the game's release? Come on, you would've had some idea of what you were buying, if you didn't you only really have yourself to blame for buying anything completely blindly.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Speedfreak: You're telling me as a Resi fan you didn't check out the year's worth of previews, trailers, gameplay videos or reviews prior to the game's release? Come on, you would've had some idea of what you were buying, if you didn't you only really have yourself to blame for buying anything completely blindly.

Actually, I got my first taste of Resident Evil when I was about seven. Played it on the PS. Scared the hell out of me, and I only bought RE:Zero a few years ago. After that I bought the rest of the series for the Gamecube.

Checked out some reviews for some of them, but I bought them because I knew what I could expect. I only bought RE4 because it seemed a nice change, but I prefer the old games.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=#061402;851829]Did you guys know that Devil May Cry was originally intended to be Resident Evil 4?

That was such a big deal 7 years ago, so I'm pretty sure most people know.

The way I see it, Capcom probably had two options: Expand the REsurvivor genre to be a little different, or change the prototype RE4 into a completely different genre (which they did) and create as much distance to the RE games as they could. w/o infinite ammo, decreased player movement, and a different life system and inventory, DMC could have been just as easilly a RE game. So, it's more like Capcom saw something better with their engine, not that it would have failed.