The Mist

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Hooray! Another Stephen King book to movie adaptation! How can this one possibley suck after films like "Maximum Overdrive" or "Creepshow 2"? Although this one looks pretty good it kinda lost all its mysticsism after the preview showed a soldier talking about doorways to alternate dimensions...
Anyways, what does everyone else think?, is it worth seeing or should you just go rent "The Shinning" instead?
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Gir_Gone_Krazy/stephenkingsthemist_galleryposter.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by MottaTheHutt

It looks kinda like The Fog. And if it's anything like The Fog it will be terrible. God The Fog was a ****ty movie.

Posted by Roger Smith

Except The Fog has bloodthirsty pirates who wanted revenge. In The Mist there's bloodthirsty insects who just want to kill things.

Hmm...now that I think about it, not much difference between the two lol. Regardless, I want to see the movie.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]You're better off just reading the book.[/COLOR]

Posted by Rhea

What a great movie. I would have to say it is one of the best horror movies I have seen in the last five years. At the beginning I couldn't help thinking that it was going to be somewhat cheesy, as most horror movies usually are. I also thought it was just going to be another ****ty adaptation of a somewhat decent book written by Stephen King. This movie definitely surpassed my expectations. The CGI weren't that bad and somewhat believable, but the suspense and emotion throughout the movie were great. Definitely kept me on my heels throughout the duration of the film.

Although I don't want to spoil anything for you guys, I do have to say that the ending was the best part. It was easily one of the most disturbing endings that I have ever seen in a movie. I have to for-warn you that it was not the same ending as the book, as Frank Darabont put in his own twist. Although I like both endings, clearly the book ending wouldn't have worked in a movie. It would have left it way too open-ended which is generally not good unless we are expecting a sequel. This ending was great and left people with disturbing images in their heads.

I can't remember the last time I walked out of a theater smiling. As people were walking into the restroom I couldn't help but hear their mumbling words about how the movie was "****ED UP" or "THAT WAS A MESSED UP ENDING!".

Anyways, I would recommend seeing this as soon as possible. Good movie.

Posted by Ilikefluff

yes all around a good movie,, i wouldn't say it was the best, could of had more action or more of some other things, plot was alright,,,, I'm a mainah and towards the end if you look at the side of the bus kennebunk, i live 20 mins away from there and 3 hours from the king,but I personally no him,,, the book i would have to say is better, this movie ****ed me off in alot of ways, the church ***** needed to die alot sooner and if the tubby guy had taped her mouth while he had the chance it would of been alot funnyer to,,, but with the ending, that ****ed me right off, 4 bullets, save them, let the 2 old hags find gas, keep the girl and the boy and wait in the car, BUT NOOOOO, he had to shot the 2 old people which i was fine with, but the basterd had to shoot the kid, grrrrrrrrr. and then he was hootin and yellin and it made it sound like he shot him self in the foot and saved the kid.. good movie but ****es me off and i wanna give steve 1 chuck norris to the face.

Posted by NeXidala

Spoiler tag ilikefluff's post someone.

Posted by Ilikefluff

Quoting NeXidala: Spoiler tag ilikefluff's post someone.

oh shut up, the movie has been out for weeks. its your lose you havent gone and seen it.

Posted by S

Quoting Ilikefluff: oh shut up, the movie has been out for weeks. its your lose you havent gone and seen it.

Remove it or spoiler tag it now. One and only warning.

Posted by Arcadios

**** sucked so badly.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Yeah, I heard it was completely ****ty from several reliable sources.

Also, Tesla, saying it's the best horror movie in the past five years is like saying it's the best piece of **** in the past five years. That's a good metaphor, because it translates literally, and is super-accurate.

Posted by Ilikefluff

you suck, it was a good movie all around.

Posted by Rhea

Yeah, most horror movies do suck. However, this one was great in my opinion. It featured very non-typical hollywood ending, and a nice shocker to end a decent plot, which is why I enjoyed it.

Posted by Arcadios

Wasn't even a horror movie. Plot was ok but there was no ****ing explanation for the reason why the creatures were there other than a 5 word dialogue from the marine. Ending was complete bull and the irony could have been made up by a 5th grader.

tl;dr: **** sux, kid

Posted by Rhea

Quoting Arcadios: Wasn't even a horror movie. Plot was ok but there was no ****ing explanation for the reason why the creatures were there other than a 5 word dialogue from the marine. ending was complete bull and the irony could have been made up by a 5th grader.

tl;dr: **** sux, kid

Well if you actually payed attention to the plot, you would realize that they did offer an explanation of why the creatures were there. It went just as in depth as it did in the book. The marines told them all they knew.

*SPOILER WARNING*

They told them that the government experiment went wrong and that the creatures went through the portal from another dimension. Why go into so much detail on how they got there when it didn't really matter and would have just wasted time?

Also the irony wasn't very strong. The only message I got out of the film was that when you stop having hope, things don't go your way. The main irony of the film was that the evangelical woman was right in the end about the child being sacrificed. Also, the woman who left in the beginning was fine. Other than that, there really wasn't any irony.

Also, the derep you gave me was quite uncalled for.

And just because you might not have considered it scary, doesn't mean the movie is outside of its genre. It is considered a horror movie, and that isn't going to change just because you didn't find any "horror" in it. Personally, I don't think it was scary either; however, I do realize why it fits in the horror genre.

Posted by Arcadios

Dunno...I felt like they should have been a reason behind the whole scientist going into the mountains to open a dimensionally portal other than human ambition to become more than what they already are.
And wouldn't it be more towards a thriller than anything else?
Scary movies would be more like Saw if anything.

But yea, the whole theme was to Never give up hope but I learned that back in 1st grade when my teacher said it to me. Kinda sunk in the first time. KICK REASON TO THE CURB TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE DO THE IMPOSSIBLE ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA

Posted by Rhea

Horror movies and thrillers are somewhat interchangeable genre-wise.

Posted by Arcadios

I like you.
Stick around for awhile.

EDIT: So I assume you've read the book.
What are some of the differences between the two?

Posted by Rhea

*Spoiler Alert*

Well, the main difference between the book and the movie, that I recall, was the ending. The ending of the movie was completely different, and was introduced by Frank Darabont, the writer and director of the movie. The movie ended with the main character, David Drayton, killing everyone in the car, but being rescued in the end. The ending of the movie was really disturbing, which is why I liked it.

The book ends when the main character and his son and a couple of other people are in the car and are heading south. Then Mr. Drayton told his son that they are heading for hope. Then whispers Hartford or heard that on the radio. You never know if they die or not.

They are both pretty much the same up to the point where they get in the car.

I would also like to point out that Stephen King, himself, stated that he liked the movie ending better than the book. The book ending wouldn't have worked in a movie format, as it would have left it too open ended, and with no sequel on the way, would have been a disaster.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I heard the Grudge was better than this move. Oh, snap!