360 outsells PS3 in Japan!

Posted by Random

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/834/834094p1.html

I was rather stunned to see this. Especially since the XBox went nowhere in Japan and the PS2 decimated both the XBox and the Gamecube in Japan.

O_o

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm not surprised. It's not asif Japan discriminates against foreign products. I bet the PS3's price probably had more to do with it than anything else

[quote]Strong 360 sales were likely influenced by Microsoft's 5,000 yen price drop and the release of Ace Combat 6. The 360 also saw a flood of budget releases for popular titles like Idol Master and Earth Defense Force.

This part confuses me though
[quote]The PS3 is actually pretty close to the 360, at 17,434 units. Given that Media Create estimates its numbers based off a sampling of stores, it's possible that the PS3 did actually beat the 360 this week. We'll never know for sure. What is pretty clear, however, is that the 360 beat the PS2, which only managed 10,209 units.

so...do they just not know for sure?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ace Combat is a huge series over there and a 360 exclusive. As odd as it is for the 360 to do decently, it's not that surprising in this case.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Stuff like Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata have been pushing its sales up, too. Didn't it get some kind of special edition director's cut of Dynasty Warriors Gundam, too?

Posted by F1NALSMASH

So maybe its not surprising but personally i like the news a lot.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yes, perhaps there is hope.

Posted by Speedfreak

Japan seems to be opening up to western style games in general.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Weekly sales != total PS3 units owned though. Maybe those people already own a PS3, realized it has no games, and decided to buy a 360 as well.

But, close competition is always a good thing. Hopefully Sony steps the **** up and gains on the 360, and then the 360 responds accordingly and takes measures to gain the lead again, etc.

Quoted post: Hopefully Sony steps the **** up and gains on the 360,

They will. Unlike the 360 the PS3 has all the time in the world, so though it looks bad now Sony's stance is still that they're in for the long haul.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Slow and steady wins the race strategy just might work for them. They certainly have quite the future arsenal of games coming out which will definetly boost sales. Like what Miyamoto says, a console is only as good as their games.

Posted by Big Boss

[quote]http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164282

Gamasutra reports the lead was a slim one, and caused by the 360's price cut, new hardware bundles in Japan, and the recently released Ace Combat 6. All these factors helped shoot Xbox 360 up almost 14,000 units from the prior week to 17,673.

Meanwhile, PlayStation 3 suffered a 1,000 unit drop from the previous week. As such, if PS3 hadn't suffered that drop, Xbox 360 more than quadrupling its sales wouldn't have mattered.

Just a spike. I'll be glad on the day I see a bunch of little dots on in Japan when playing Halo 3, though.

Posted by Ant

I honestly don't see it happening. Not in the near future anyways. The Japanese as a whole will always go for the Japanese console over an American made one anyday. EVEN IF Japanese developers decide to start making games more western style.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Can I say Americans as a whole will always go for the American console over an Japanese made one anyday too? That's probably more true.

I'm actually agreeing with Ant incase it's hard to tell. The Japanese like our cola, clothing, and our ipods, but when it comes to videogames people say they're biased against a foreigner's product. Xbox games just aren't appealing to Japanese gamers, they're appealing for American gamers. Who better to judge American's taste than an American Company? Same for Japan. It's not some national boycott.

Quoted post: Can I say Americans as a whole will always go for the American console over an Japanese made one anyday too? That's probably more true.

The Wii is a japanese-made console.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: The Wii is a japanese-made console.

The point is the Japanese are not against the "made in USA" stamp on Xboxs, it's the games.

Thinking about it now, I retract my earlier statement that Americans as a whole will always go for an American console. It's not about the country that makes the consoles, it's all about the games.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting WillisGreeny: Thinking about it now, I retract my earlier statement that Americans as a whole will always go for an American console.

Good retraction, considering Japanese companies Nintendo, Sony, and in some instances Sega provided the best-selling hardware in America since the introduction of the NES to the States back in '85.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;776970]The Wii is a japanese-made console.

IIRC 360 still has the sales lead over Wii in the US.

Hm, I doubt that now. I just can't see how the Wii wouldn't be in first when it's consistently getting 400,000 sales in the US alone monthly and the 360 is, what, 120,000?

If the Wii isn't beating it now, it will by Christmas. Either way, the US is more and more preferring the Wii over any other system, or so it seems.

Posted by Speedfreak

According to VG chartz Wii is about 2 and a half million behind 360 in the US but 650,000 ahead worldwide. Wii sales are more even in each territory, 360 is totally lopsided. It fails in Japan, does okay in Europe but has almost 2/3 of it's sales in the US.

I'm not sure Wii will pull ahead of 360 in the US this year, it really needs Wii Fit to pull in more non-gamers. Maybe Galaxy will exceed even my expectations and sell the system through Christmas. Galaxy will sell systems better than Halo 3, COD 4 and Assassins Creed will but 2.5 million is a large gap to close. But then considering how the system has been supply limited this entire time maybe Nintendo's stockpile is all it needs.

2 million? Huh, wow. With it's sales I just had to assume it was kicking ***. I'm honestly surprised the 360 is doing so well.

Actually, the fact that pretty much every owner has two... I guess I'm not so surprised.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's more like America loves it's shooting games and it's been out 2 years than anything else. It's sales aren't what you'd call "doing well" considering how many targets it's missed.

Well, doing better than I expected.

Posted by switchxa

The pull ahead is really only this week though. The 360 as a whole in japan is so low compared to the sales of PS3 and Wii its somewhat insignificant. I do agree that the spike is merely because of more J-RPG's coming out on 360. It's peaking interest in the console. But I think the amount of studios developing for the 360 exclusively for the sake of larger install base and just bring more people to the console heavily out weighs the amount of RPG's still coming out for the PS2 and PS3.

I do think that the PS3 will come up as second in the end as more great games come out for it and the system matures. I think the system can endure the 10 year projected life span. Sony seems to finally getting their act together. Nintendo has enough soccer moms to keep its system on top this act. But I am unsure if the Wii will be able to live off that market alone. If it continues on this path they could self destruct because of high demand and low supply. Honestly, how hard is it to make more Wii's? Xbox has its install base but I don't see it advancing much. This is all personal opinion and projections. Sorry for being so long winded. :)

Posted by Ant

Quoting Speedfreak: shooting games

it's shootan gamez. get it right.

Posted by Speedfreak

Shoot'n geem?

Posted by S

Shoe tan gay mess.

shootdan gaemz

Quoted post: Honestly, how hard is it to make more Wii's?

5 year-old technology?* Either way, I can only see the PS3 hit second place towards the end of its life-cycle when the 360 successor and Wii's successor has already come out. But by that point, it's one generation too late.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

No matter how complex or not hardware may be, you still need factories, equipment, parts, and personnel to manufacture them. There's only so much space in Japan and China, you know?