The History of Zelda

Posted by TEAMBAJA

Believe it or not, as a LONG time gamer, I have never played any of the Zelda series. I currently have a Nintendo Wii, and wondered if it is one of those games where you really had to follow the series? I was always going to get into it, even back in the day of the original Nintendo but somehow have never played any of them. Which one would be a good place to start?

Posted by Iris

You don't have to follow the series at all. There's a timeline, but the storylines aren't very related. You can start pretty much anywhere.

Posted by Linko_16

For TP, I'd say start with Ocarina of Time if you can, but no big deal if you can't or just don't really care.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just play whatever one you want.

Posted by maian

Meh

With TP, it doesn't really matter. OOT may help a little bit, but hardly. They did quite a terrible job at relating TP to other Zelda games.

However, if you want to play Majora's Mask, a knowledge about OOT would help.

...That's about it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: They did quite a terrible job at relating TP to other Zelda games.

Don't think they really tried. As far as Nintendo is concerned, there's no timeline at all.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Don't think they really tried. As far as Nintendo is concerned, there's no timeline at all.

Just a bunch of different incarnations of the same hero of time lol.

Posted by Xero

Quoting maian:
However, if you want to play Majora's Mask, a knowledge about OOT would help.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: there's no timeline at all.

I guess MM would be the only exception...and then again...You would only need to play OoT first to know where the song of time, the ocarina and Epona came from if you actually cared.

Quoted post: I guess MM would be the only exception...and then again...You would only need to play OoT first to know where the song of time, the ocarina and Epona came from if you actually cared.

Besides the obvious sequels. There's no over-arching timeline that connects all Zelda games.

Posted by Zeta

It's just a big game of Telephone. Same legend, but gets continually changed as it's passed on from person to person.

purple monkey dishwasher

Posted by maian

I thought Nintendo was making an effort to make a more deep storyline for Zelda when Wind Waker came out. It had a lot of backstory, and related a lot to OOT.

...Looking back, I think the only reason they made the whole flood storyline was probably because they said, "We wanna make a Zelda game ON THE OCEANZ!" "Wait, how would that work?" "Hyrule flooded?" "lol k"

Posted by Average n00b

As others said, it really doesn't matter where you start. I started with the first game boy version of Zelda, then my brother got the Ocarina of Time and I got even more into it.

TP is okay to start with, really.

Posted by Borealis

Look up the basics on Link and Zelda, but the stories are admittedly so hard to follow that it's more of a mystery, but if you want something for your queries, GameTrailers.com made a timeline in their own opinions and interpretations of the Zelda series.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/15194.html

That's part 6 out of 6, and although it's pretty insightful... it's just an interpretation, and it's pretty outdated since it was made while Twilight Princess was just bein' released and critics were finishing their pre-released copies... but yeah, just don't take it as absolute fact, it's more of somethin' to think about.

Also, I recommend watching the series from 1 - 6, because it's great.

pretty much every game site has their own version of a timeline. Point is, Nintendo didn't make the games with a timeline in mind. So really, one doesn't exist.

Posted by TEAMBAJA

Quoting Borealis: Look up the basics on Link and Zelda, but the stories are admittedly so hard to follow that it's more of a mystery, but if you want something for your queries, GameTrailers.com made a timeline in their own opinions and interpretations of the Zelda series.

That's part 6 out of 6, and although it's pretty insightful... it's just an interpretation, and it's pretty outdated since it was made while Twilight Princess was just bein' released and critics were finishing their pre-released copies... but yeah, just don't take it as absolute fact, it's more of somethin' to think about.

Also, I recommend watching the series from 1 - 6, because it's great.

Holy hell! My head is spinning after watching all that. Someone must have researched for months to put that 12 1/2 minute video together!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Posted by Pit

Don't listen to these guys TEAMBAJA. In order to truly enjoy Zelda and follow up with the storyline, you have to play all the games, ESPECIALLY the cd-i Zelda games. I mean, if you don't, then don't play TP, OOT, MM, or any game for that matter, as it wouldn't make sense to you at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;773340]With TP, it doesn't really matter. OOT may help a little bit, but hardly. They did quite a terrible job at relating TP to other Zelda games.

Wha? It completely tied off the split timeline. It's a direct sequel to Majora's Mask.

Posted by maian

I don't care if Nintendo confirmed it, I'm not following a split timeline. :( Besides, it's not really set in stone. Provide evidence if I'm wrong, but didn't they mention Link leaving Hyrule in WW, which is why the Triforce shattered? And, isn't that the only way they mention MM in TP?

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Just don't be one of those faggots who overlook WW because "OMG THE GRAFIKS SUX"

Posted by Linko_16

I forget the details of the "split timeline" business. And I'm glad because I remember it was dumb.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

Nintendo actually did a clever job creating the Zelda series. They didn't give you a timeline because they let you have fun with that. there are various games you could start out in like most people say OoT was the beginning and others say Minish cap was the beginning and then there is the whole split timeline theory after OoT for with adult link going to some game that I can't remember and Young link going to the Majora's Mask. really, there is no true storyline until they stop making zelda games(which probably wont be a here for a long while) because when they bring in a new game, the pieces stop fitting in the puzzle and we all have to start over again.

so, you may start wherever you like and work your puzzle until another zelda comes along

Posted by classic gamer

i have played all the games in the Zelda series and i dont think there is a time line but some of them are related to another one like windwaker and the orcina of time for example.

Posted by Bloodfather

Omg I love the Zelda series played them all.Even the very first one that came out on the very first Nintendo. And it's still functional...I think...havn't tried it lately. :P Really and truly though one game isn't gonna keep you from understanding the other. However,OOT and Majora's Mask they do go hand in hand. Not that all the games don't have the slightest bit to do with the previous ones. I mean in the newer games,"such as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess,"they treat Zelda and Link as a kind of legend.

Posted by Bloodfather

Quoting Zeta: It's just a big game of Telephone. Same legend, but gets continually changed as it's passed on from person to person.

I recognise the game in that toaster. lol I think it's Metroid. Such a fun game. XD