Interview with Silicon Knights' Denis Dyack

Posted by Big Boss

[FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]For those of you interested in some of the many issues that developers deal with and think about, including their desire to expand the industry and what road blocks it faces today, this is definitely an interview to read with many topics being discussed:

[URL="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1918/engaging_audiences_denis_dyack_.php?page=6"]http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1918/engaging_audiences_denis_dyack_.php[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by TendoAddict

Very good find Big Boss, I really like the bits about what Blast Processing and it's correlation current issues (also electrocuting an elephant was lol)

I also liked the part about RE 4's story, that it was weak but people loved ti (me including). Makes you think about what a story means in a game and how much the industry needs.

That plus the end talking about killing a game really got me thinking. Sure when a game is canceled the buyers/fans are heart broken, but I guess its always harder on their side of the fence.

(BTW, you posted the link for the last page of the interview , was that a mistake or did you want us to pay attention to it more?)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I can't take anything he says seriously.

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh? I thought you liked his games/opinions on game design.

I personally can't stand how obsessed he is with storylines in games because he ends up completely fucking over the gameplay for it. I hope Too Human does't end up playing as badly as Eternal Darkness did.

Quoted post: Uh? I thought you liked his games/opinions on game design.

Oh I do, very much so. I just can't take him seriously. Most of his points have some validity to them, but in the end I just can't help but say "Oh, Denis." I mean, he says some pretty ****ing stupid stuff...

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: Uh? I thought you liked his games/opinions on game design.

I personally can't stand how obsessed he is with storylines in games because he ends up completely fucking over the gameplay for it. I hope Too Human does't end up playing as badly as Eternal Darkness did.

Eternal Darkness gameplay was bad?

Speedy thinks ED sucks. Always has from what I remember.

Posted by Speedfreak

The story was probably good if you like that kind of thing, but it wasn't for me. I can't understand why anyone thought of the gameplay as decent, there was barely anything there. Especially that one level, I think it was in Egypt, it was the most boring level ever.