TOTAL XINGJIAOGAOCHAO

Posted by xuclo

That's actually a word. Free rep to anyone who can tell me what it means.

Worthless hint No.1: It's synonymous with Xingyugaochao.
Worthless hint No.2: It's made up of two words, xingjiao (or xingyu) and gaochao.

This should take a while :D

Posted by Xero

Sex?

Posted by S

Cao Ni Ma.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Sucre: Sex?

It's related to sex.

[quote]
Cao Ni Ma.

Shei cao wo? Ni bu cao wo, that's for sure lol

Posted by S

That's all I know lol. I know something about a dead-turkey ****ing an airconditioner or something too, but I can't remember it right now.

Posted by xuclo

My Chinese sucks, I've forgotten most of what I knew. I had to look up "shei". :(

Posted by S

My friend yells random chinese at RMTers (Who are typically Chinese.) in online games. Usually just gibberish; I pick it up from him.

Posted by xuclo

hm, foreign languages could be useful in online games like that. especially strategic ****.

Man, I just took geek to another level, and I'm not even a gamer.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Wasn't XINGJIAN GAO CHAO that author who wrote Soul of Chaos??

Posted by xuclo

Uh. That's not the answer I'm looking for, even if whatever you just said is correct.

Besides, it's Xingjiao, not Xingjian :)

Posted by TimeSkipz

Nvm, read the title wrong lol

Posted by xuclo

That's right you did. I want a formal written apology, with a gift basket, and a little vial of your tears.

Posted by TimeSkipz

No tears, blood.....

Posted by Linko_16

I wish I knew Chinese. I don't think I'm ever going to manage to completely learn a foreign language, though, unless I live in its country of origin for like ten years.

Posted by xuclo

Chinese is kinda.... I dunno. If you say "yi" wrong, it could be taken at least 51 different ways.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Yeah, it's all about the tone of your voice and how you connect words.

Posted by xuclo

It's not how you connect words, but what words you connect.

wǒ chī = i eat.
wǒ chī le yī ge xiāng jiāo = i ate a banana
wǒ chī gu

Posted by TimeSkipz

Now say de wo xiang jiao :)

Posted by xuclo

that doesn't mean anything that i'm aware of. lol

Posted by TimeSkipz

Hmmm it might be de wa xiang jiao

Posted by mis0

Quoting Linko_16: I wish I knew Chinese. I don't think I'm ever going to manage to completely learn a foreign language, though, unless I live in its country of origin for like ten years.

Aren't you proficient in French? I'm trying (and failing) to learn German in any useful capacity. I wish I had more time to devote to it.

Posted by S

Cong tiao bu hao

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting mis0: Aren't you proficient in French? I'm trying (and failing) to learn German in any useful capacity. I wish I had more time to devote to it.

Not "proficient," no. I took four years in high school which only helped so much. I can speak in grammatically shaky sentences and probably be understood by a French person, but I'd probably never be able to understand them. I can read in French pretty well, since, of course, it's easier to break apart a sentence than to form one. I'm not going to continue with French in school, though, because I feel like the next step isn't going to be found in a classroom. It'd be nice if I lived with a French person who forced me to speak to them in French, someone who would help me learn by teaching me new words needed to form the sentences I'm trying to form... but I'm not really sure how exactly I could do that.

I intend to try Japanese in college - my brother's already started this semester and he's getting along well enough.

I really wish I had the chance to learn other languages when I was young, since it's supposed to be really easy then. If I have a son or a daughter, I'll probably find a way to teach them other languages before it's too late for them, too.

Posted by xuclo

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Linko_16

It's actually proven that you learn languages better - you have on/off switches in your genes or some crap like that, and at some point one for learning languages easily turns off.

Not that it's impossible to learn languages after that, of course, but I'm having such a hard time that I wish there were a way to have taken advantage of that in my youth.

Posted by xuclo

That on/off switch must be pretty late, then, cuz I pick the **** up quick.

Posted by Linko_16

You might just be good at it.

Posted by mis0

Actually, I think the studies saying it's harder to learn a second language as you age are rubbish too. The only reason I'm having the trouble with German I have is mainly due to the fact that I don't have the time to study it like I want to. Hopefully that'll change so I can become profeicient isn't of being mediocre.

I have two people in my German class who are middle aged at least (40 or older), and they seem to be doing as well, if not better, than the younger students. I think it really comes down to how much time you have and how motivated you are to learn a language.

Posted by nich

Quoting Linko_16: I really wish I had the chance to learn other languages when I was young, since it's supposed to be really easy then.

This is true. If one parent speaks entirely in one language, say French, and the other parent speaks entirely in English, from birth to early childhood, that child will be bilingual. It forces the child to learn both languages in order to communicate it's needs with it's parents. I had a French teacher in gr. 9 who did it with her kids.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting mis0: Actually, I think the studies saying it's harder to learn a second language as you age are rubbish too. The only reason I'm having the trouble with German I have is mainly due to the fact that I don't have the time to study it like I want to. Hopefully that'll change so I can become profeicient isn't of being mediocre.

I have two people in my German class who are middle aged at least (40 or older), and they seem to be doing as well, if not better, than the younger students. I think it really comes down to how much time you have and how motivated you are to learn a language.

I basically agree with everything here, but I'm too tired to be thorough about it. :)

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting mis0: I have two people in my German class who are middle aged at least (40 or older), and they seem to be doing as well, if not better, than the younger students. I think it really comes down to how much time you have and how motivated you are to learn a language.

It's not supposed to be a gradual thing as you get younger to older, it's something that switches when you're, like, ten or eleven or something. So unless these younger students are, like, kids, then it wouldn't apply to them... if anything, I'd think the older you are after this gene switch supposedly takes place, the better.

I'm not defending this like a loyal believer or whatever, I'm just relaying what I understand is accepted. I mean, I respect that I haven't seen all the data from these studies, so I'd have to assume whatever they came up with is probably closest to the truth, but it's not like I've seen this to be true or untrue in real life.

Posted by xuclo

Nah, I don't really buy it. I've seen people do just fine with languages in high school. It might be the case with some people, but the majority who actually do try to learn languages? Nah

Posted by Linko_16

Well, see, nobody said you'd necessarily be bad at learning languages afterwards. Just that little kids are good at it until then.

Posted by xuclo

Nah, I still don't buy it :D My sister never learned hardly any Spanish and her dad's side of the family might as well speak it exclusively. I'm still trying to teach her "yo" and "tu" and she's 11.

Posted by S

On the subject of China:[quote=Wikipedia]Through new laws the Chinese government has said it plans to restrict gamers to three hours of consecutive play, using a “fatigue technique” in games. Children and teenagers are strongly encouraged to play online games no more than 3 hours per day through this method. After 3 hours their character abilities will be limited. Gamers who spend more than five hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely limited. Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before they can return to a game with the character back to full capacity. In some cases further playing is locked down through their IP identification number or account with the online game vendor. The operators face little choice as they need government approval to offer online gaming. [6]

Posted by xuclo

China's crazy. Luckily they don't allow immigrants, so I won't ever have to move there. Hong Kong maybe. That seems like a decent enough place. But not the PRC.