Smash Bros. is NOT party game.

Posted by Litbut

You heard right. It's a fighting game. It can be a party game with items, but those who happen to be good at it don't use items. But all in all, it's really just a fighting game made by the good people at Nintendo, who like to throw in crazy items in their games, such as Mario Kart.

Posted by Iris

You're not a party game.

As long as you can have fun with multiple people, it seems like a party game to me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Anything can be a party game, as long as it involves people gathering round to have some fun.

Except maybe Myst.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting BassGS: It can be a party game with items, but those who happen to be good at it don't use items.

Go to hell.

Posted by Litbut

Like I said. It can seem like a party game, but it's more of a fighting game.

Posted by Stalolin

Smash Bros. is a party game.

and i am the absolute authority on party things

the game defaults itself with items, items make for a party game

the game includes 2 vs 2 battles, perfect for a party game, amirite

a wide variety of interactive stages, makes for a party game, rite

simple special moves and attacks, makes it easy for someone to pick up on it at a party, amirite

unbalanced characters, that's not a fighting game standard, must be a party game

WHAT'S THIS, A CONSOLE THAT HAS FOUR CONTROLLER SLOTS?! MUST BE FOR PARTYING

this seems like a party game guys

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's both, you moron.

Posted by Zeta

SMASH IS TOO DEEP TO BE A PARTY GAME THERE'S L-CANCELING AND WAVEDASHING AND ALL THESE ADVANCED TECHNIQUES

Posted by Litbut

Both Zeta and Vampiro V. Empire have points. Smash Bros has elements of both party and fighting. But it has advanced techniques that make it far too deep for a party game. With iteems and certain modes from Special Melee it can be a party game. But those are there for more depth to the game so we have more of a variety to use when you're bored or want to just play a match differently. Which, like Zeta said, makes it too deep for a party game. As for the more skilled or hardcore players, we don't need them, so we get a pure fighting game that breaks the mold of standard fighting games.[URL="http://www.vgchat.com/member.php?u=829"]
[/URL]

Quoted post: But it has advanced techniques that make it far too deep for a party game

Which are the furthest thing from essential to enjoy, or for that matter, even play the game. All the "depth" in the game is just taking advantage of glitches and physics that weren't even supposed to be in the game. Drr

Posted by Litbut

Some of us don't do that. I prefer to play without glitches and items.

Pretty much every advanced technique is a glitch or taking advantage of the physics.

Posted by Litbut

Pretty much. But skilled players don't need do to those or use items.

Posted by Zeta

... So?

Quoted post: Pretty much. But skilled players don't need do to those or use items.

Right... so there goes your argument I guess.

Posted by Ant

looks like someone needs to go to bed.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting BassGS: Pretty much. But skilled players don't need [wavedashing/L-canceling]

Skilled players do use those.

Posted by Litbut

Yeah. The truly skilled don't need to rely on items or glitches to win pt have fun.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=BassGS;775081]Yeah. The truly skilled don't need to rely on items or glitches to win pt have fun.
The world champion, Ken, wavedashes all the time. As for items, a skilled player relies on items as much as a n00blet. Some items are potentially match-changing.

Posted by Litbut

My friend and I are insanely skilled and don't need glitches or items. =]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Win a competitive-level tournament, then come back and tell me you're insanely skilled.

Posted by Iris

This isn't Smashboards, take your terrible logic and gameplay elitism there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Anyone who calls themselves 'insanely skilled' has it coming.

It's not elitism anyway, just fact. A skilled player who can wavedash is going to kick the *** of a skilled player who can't.

Posted by Iris

I'm not saying that part's elitism, but the "real players don't need items or glitches" part is.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh, right. You may continue.

Quoted post: Yeah. The truly skilled don't need to rely on items or glitches to win pt have fun.

You're ****ing stupid, dude. Just stop posting about Smash Bros. because you've been horribly wrong twice in one thread.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

I just a couple things to say.

#1 Not using items is cool when your playing a 1v1 seeing who has more character control but this makes for some pretty repetitive game play if you were that good at the game you could beat people with items on but still lose to people worse than you because of items and not take it to hard. Items make the game more enjoyable to play and more things happen with them on its the way the game was made to be played.

#2 Being "Insanely Skilled" at Smash Brothers is boring to me, no items 1v1's and usually only basic stages, its not that fun i mean honestly people normally have a best character so you would play as him when proving your self and use the same combos over and over and over on different people to win. Sure this game does work great as a tournament style game and one that MLG losers can take and use as a tournament game but seriously i do not thing that Nintendo had that in mind when they made this game. thats just how i feel about it.

#3 Halo is for n00bs

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

What's wrong with Smash being a party game?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=BassGS;775091]My friend and I are insanely skilled and don't need glitches or items. =]

I've seen your videos, you are very far from skilled. Before an attack, I'll say I'm far from skilled as well, but anyone with eyes can see from whatever you've posted that you're full of crap and you play like crap. You've been on smashboards too long, leave these arguments there.

[quote=Iris;775197]This isn't Smashboards, take your terrible logic and gameplay elitism there.

which I generally use to find out the specific tactics to get my game up in my own specific ways and look for tournaments in the tournament and regional sections to meet up and have fun playing with other people, and they generally never take part in the arguments you usually see in smashboards

its a party game as well as a competitive game. The only thing I noticed isn't party like is explaining to a newcomer that they have to press up+b to recover into the stage, but once they get that down, everyone is beating each other senseless to argue. Why the **** are people calling this a fighting game

[SIZE=15]its a way of life am i right bassgs[/SIZE]

oh, final smash dude, its not being insanely skilled sometimes what matters to people. Not sure if you've played at a tournament, but you get a strange feeling of amazing satisfaction when you notice that your own skill takes you so far in a tournament, it isn't to try to imitate the way someone plays and then tell people your skill level is amazing, its just the actual feeling of satisfaction for yourself that you do so well. This game probably doesn't do it for you, but I'm sure there are some games that give you that same feeling regardless.

Posted by Litbut

I wasn't anywhere near my best in that video. =] Also I should say that I mean that I can be insanely skilled at times. Not a common thing for me though.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

go to sleep

Posted by WillisGreeny

If thinking Smash Bros. as a party is wrong, then I don't ever want to be right.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Why you are so troll

Posted by s0ul

ha, I only just now watched Bass's Ganondorf video. Maybe your "insanely skilled" argument would've held up better if you never posted that. :(