I HATE iTunes (epicly long, with epic amounts of swearing)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ok, so get this. 10 PM iTunes gives me a message that says "hey, buddy, can't save **** since you don't have enough memory." I have 300 gigs of space left. But it's cool, I've gotten it before. So I close down iTunes and open it back up. Now I get "OH **** UNKNOWN ERROR" so I'm like, ****, this ain't good. As this is happening iTunes is struggling to get my music back in order, it can't do that unless the UNKNOWN ERROR popup goes away... which it doesn't. So I'm like, **** this, shutting it down. So I did it and then restart my computer. Open up iTunes, it reinstalls, it's all cool.

However, I figure I might as well download the new iTunes cause maybe they fixed that memory thing. So I download it, let it install, open it... oh ****, 20,000 songs gone. Couldn't be. I restart my computer. ****, same thing. So I'm like "you know what, I wanted to use winamp all this time, might as well start now." So I do, I open winamp add all my 20,000 songs into it only to discover most weren't properly tagged. I'm talking 15,000 songs. That's days and days and days work of retagging music. So I'm like, all right, I'll do it. So I start only to discover winamp takes ten seconds for me to start a song, freezes randomly, and does all this other **** I ****ing hate.

So, I figure I can salvage itunes by going to a system restore. I go back tomorrow, nope. I got back to the 29th, negative. i have the old version of itunes there, but it gives me a message "can't open this ****, because the library was saved on a NEW version of iTunes and this is an OLD version of iTunes." So right now I am ****ing ****ed. Livid. I call up my buddy from work and I'm like "you better ****ing help me or this computer is getting thrown out my ****ing window." So he's all "lol hope you didn't add any music into your itunes" and I'm all "lol yes I did you mother****er what does that mean?" and he's all "haha, you're so ****ed dude." So, now I have one less friend.

Anywho, I go back onto the internet and search for the error it was giving me. Turns out, all I had to ****ing do was get the backup iTunes that was automatically made of my library, delete my old one, and rename my backup and place it where the old one was. ****ing everything is there.

It is now 5 AM.

tl;dr: Bittersweet. 7 hours of bull**** because apple ****ing sucks. Winamp also sucks.

no one is going to read this, but oh well. I needed to type it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

iTunes uses too much memory.

Posted by Omni

I read it. iTunes is gay. Winamp never does this stuff to me. :)

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

tl;dr: Bittersweet. 7 hours of bull**** because apple ****ing sucks. Winamp also sucks.

*taps Vampiro on the back*

:)

Quoted post: iTunes uses too much memory.

Without a doubt. But Winamp on this computer sucks just as hard. It's a pain in the *** to even tag anything on it and I'm so not waiting ten seconds just for a song to start and stop.

Posted by Jesse Smith

psst, upgrade to a Macintosh!!!

Quoting Queen: Windows is gay.

:D

Posted by Slade

So in the end you didn't lose any music, right?

I've never had any huge problems with iTunes (knock on wood), but I'm always worried about updates since those seem to **** it up bad sometimes.

Yeah, I knew there was a reason I never upgraded in the past because I now remember something similar happening, but the fix was easier back then. But yeah, I never lost any music, my library file just had nothing in it. Which, like I said, is a ****ton of work to retag.

Posted by Xero

I didn't have any problems with my Itunes yet.

And I don't think it uses that much memory. It loads pretty fast. But then again...I only have 1000 songs. Maybe the more I'll, the more it'll get slow. Idk. I hope that won't happen.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Which, like I said, is a ****ton of work to retag.

a labor of grim

Posted by Shin-Ra

If it makes you feel better, I thought I totally fried my laptop last night after spilling a coke onto it. It wasn't turning back on or anything. I hung it upside down all night and now it's working just fine. I'm going to get it cleaned, but if I disappear from the internets for a while, here's why.

Also, my internet doesn't work well (I use my neighbor's), my car air conditioner doesn't work, I don't have enough money to buy a text book, I just spent $600 on my car, and I'm about to spend another $140 on the said car (for the same problem). So yeah, I'm so fucking tired of shit not working.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Shin-Ra: If it makes you feel better, I thought I totally fried my laptop last night after spilling a coke onto it. It wasn't turning back on or anything. I hung it upside down all night and now it's working just fine. I'm going to get it cleaned, but if I disappear from the internets for a while, here's why.

Also, my internet doesn't work well (I use my neighbor's), my car air conditioner doesn't work, I don't have enough money to buy a text book, I just spent $600 on my car, and I'm about to spend another $140 on the said car (for the same problem). So yeah, I'm so fucking tired of shit not working.

Good Christ dude. Looks like everything's going wrong all at the same time =/

Posted by Phantasm

My razor fell and the screen went flying upwards.

It still works, but it has no screen.

Yeah.
My laptop is working beautifully. I have no problems with iTunes. and lol CJ.
Now you know kids, use the internet before doing anything retarded.

But hey! I'd be ****ing mad too if my J-rock stuff got suddenly un-tagged.

Quoted post: Also, my internet doesn't work well (I use my neighbor's), my car air conditioner doesn't work, I don't have enough money to buy a text book, I just spent $600 on my car, and I'm about to spend another $140 on the said car (for the same problem). So yeah, I'm so ****ing tired of **** not working.

My dad cut us off of support, my stepdad left us with all the bills and he won't sign off on a mortgage we can't even get cause we don't have enough income. My roof is leaking inside my room and it costs 8,000 dollars to repair which we don't have. My aunt has been diagnosed with cancer. The lawyer we have has stopped working for us after taking 2,400 bucks, and now our van which is our only car is on the verge of completely dying for the last time and even if we did attempt to fix it it's cost 900 bucks. AND MORE. All within a span of two months.

Man, I so beat you.

Quoted post: And I don't think it uses that much memory.

It eats up a lot of memory and resources. It's widely known as one of the worst for that.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
It eats up a lot of memory and resources. It's widely known as one of the worst for that.

Is there another music playing program for Macs that would be better?

It's likely not a problem for Mac since that's what it's built for. Don't worry about it.

Posted by Xero

Oh good :)

Posted by Gollum

Vamp, if all your music was tagged in iTunes, it should still all be tagged. Make sure you're distinguishing between ID3v1 and ID3v2.

Seriously, check it out. I just tested: I tagged a song with iTunes and it was saved to the actual file, not just in iTunes, which seems to be what you're saying is wrong. If your music was tagged when it was in iTunes, it should still be tagged. Let me know.

Most is, but a lot isn't and I've tagged it all with iTunes. So, idk...

Posted by Gollum

Get a tag editor that lets you look at ID3v1 and ID3v2. I bet it'll be tagged correctly on one of the two. I use Ultra Tag Editor.

Cool, thanks. I'm guessing I want to be looking at ID3v2, right? I just find it weird that it'll occasionally not tag the actual file, and rather just what's in the library.

Posted by Gollum

That's probably because Windows and iTunes aren't both showing the same ID3 type. ID3v2 is newer, so yeah.

Another reason I recommend Ultra Tag Editor is because you can rename files by their tags, so if you have them tagged correctly in ID3v1, you can rename the files by their tag and then tag it from the filename to ID3v2.

Anyways, check to see if that's your problem. I hope it works out.

Posted by junior senior

don't worry, I love when iTunes asks me "a new version...upgrade?" every time I open it, even though I check off the box. :)
Also love how it doesn't add my play counts...

Posted by Slade

Earlier today it told me "An iTunes Library is necessary to continue." Scared the **** out of me, but I just had to hit browse and there it was. I think it's just messing with me, because it knows.

it knows

Posted by Omni

Winamp doesn't annoy me like this, and I don't have to wait any amount of time to edit tags if I choose to do so in Winamp.

I don't like how I can't edit a tag in winamp then click next to go to the next song. It's just little things like that that make me groan whenever I use it.

Posted by Omni

Did I mention that I use iTunes to edit tags anyway? Winamp doesn't let me add/remove album art.

Another thing that sucks. And the fact that it has to load the library every time I edit something or switch from the main library to something else. And various other things I don't like.

Posted by Pit

I hate itunes because it ****ed of vampiro, he's awesome

Posted by Empty_Void

Hmm, fortunantly my computers never ****ed with my music files yet, I use winamp, Itunes and Windows media player and they havent ****ed me around yet.

The strange thing is im only using a piece of **** PC, and Macs are meant to be really good with music; PCs are renowned for being unreliable with music.

Might also have something to do with the fact that I only have just ove ten thousand songs on my PC, havent reached the twenty thousand mark yet.

Got rid of it once I got my new computer. Foobar only from now on.

Posted by Empty_Void

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Got rid of it once I got my new computer. Foobar only from now on.

Not to sound like a complete noob, but what is Foobar? lol

Posted by Klarth

It's like Winamp on steroids.

Good going, Vamp. You're not supposed to use iTunes on anything other than a Mac anyway :cookie:

Quoted post: Not to sound like a complete noob, but what is Foobar? lol

Just another music playing program. But it has a really clean interface with a lot of versatility and seems to use next to no resources. Which is a nice switch after you've used itunes for years.

Quoted post: Good going, Vamp. You're not supposed to use iTunes on anything other than a Mac anyway

Yeah, but I had an ipod and I was too lazy to download any other software, so I just stuck with it.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Empty_Void: Macs are meant to be really good with music

If I remember well, my Mac couldn't even take an Itunes update. I almost lost all my files afterwards because the laptop wouldn't start up. Thank *** some guy fixed it.

Posted by Proto Man

Yeah I hate how iTunes takes up a lot of memory. Back in '05 I couldn't upgrade from 5 to 6 because the laptop I was using didn't have enough memory to support it. The memory requirements had jumped from 128 MB to 256 MB.

My only gripe with iTunes now is that it is not fully compatible with XP x64. Every time I open it it gripes about the CD Burning will not be able to work, which doesn't matter much since I don't use iTunes for burning anyways.

I really wish I wouldn't have jumped on to 8.0 right away though. It seems to run overall slower and every time I click on my iPod, it won't go to the iPod screen right away. There seems to be a long delay :(

I would try other programs such as Songbird out, but I DO use the iTunes store. I don't know of any other programs that interface with it yet.

OH THE NECESSARY EVILS!

Posted by Gollum

iTunes sucks. Use foobar or die.

Posted by Shade

downloaded foobar just now and I am unimpressed.

Posted by Xero

you must die

Posted by Crazy K

I wonder if Foobar works well with Linux, maybe I should try.

Posted by Iron Octopus

Foobar works fine with Linux. If it doesn't (you have Gentoo) and you can make it. Just like anything with Linux.

Quoting Shade: downloaded foobar just now and I am unimpressed
You have to add UI's, plugins and themes. Might seem like a pain in the *** (I guess most people can't grasp the concept of "readme" meaning "read me"), but you can make Foobar look identical to iTunes, and use a fraction of the resources taken.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shade: downloaded foobar just now and I am unimpressed.

You have to change the ui

edit: didn't notice Iron Octopus' post. whatever, point stands.

change the UI? No thanks. I like it vanilla actually.