A Request.

Posted by S

So I'm taking a speech class this semester, and for my persuasive speech I've decided to reach out to my geek roots. I'm going to be doing a speech on video games, more specifically a satirical one. My speech's topic is "Why, we as a society, should ban video games." Of course I'm not serious, it's satirical after-all... but the fact remains, I need ammo to fuel it. What outrageous ****ing arguments have you found about the banning of video games? MAVAV is one of my sources at the moment (And oh-ho-ho is it a good one.), as well as some of Jack whats-his-face's articles. Anyone possibly able to help me out with just flat-out-stupid arguments that betray themselves?

I was thinking of that black woman's blog from awhile back, I'll have to search through here to find it...

Posted by Tyler Durden

Censorship entails creative control..? just another useless gimic of our wonderful 'Big Brother' that degrades and further thwarts the imagination of game developement.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Down The Sun;769611]Censorship entails creative control..? just another useless gimic of our wonderful 'Big Brother' that degrades and further thwarts the imagination of game developement.
Yeah, you said you were leaving.

As for the Resi 5 article;
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer/

Posted by Fate

Don't leave out that Doom games have creatures from Hell. It was filled with demons so scary that the movie had to remove the religious undertones for quality entertainment!

Posted by Linko_16

November 1985, Duck Hunt is released to the US. Fourteen years later, Columbine.

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by S

Keep it comin' guys, the more outrageous the better. I really appreciate it; I may just use that Linko. That'd be an awesome closer.

Posted by Linko_16

Actually, I thought of it as an opener when I came up with it. Though I can proudly say I thought of it myself.

For the record, the two Columbine shooters would've been three and four the year Duck Hunt was released.

Posted by S

I hope you don't mind I used your line, Linko.

I'm in need of a hand on the few supporting points left over, a tidy up on the conclusion and maybe a hand on the transitions. Anyone mind?

Persuasive Speech – Why, we as a society should ban video games.

Introduction: November 1985, Duck Hunt is released to the US. Fourteen years later, Columbine. Coincidence? I think not.

Establish credibility/relevance: Addiction and violence could strike your home at any time! Live in fear people.

Thesis: Video games are evil. For that matter, so is anything that has the ability to influence; internet, television, radio and even books! But I digress, one goliath at a time, right?

Preview three points: The point of me speaking tonight, is mere education; to attempt to persuade you on the horrendous visage that are video games; the effect such a maniacal grimace can have on our youth, and what we can do to stop it in its tracks!

Lead in to topic: Unnecessary filler.

Main Point I: What are “Video games”?

Supporting Point i: What is a video game? Dictionary.com claims it to be: an electronic medium in which “an amusement or past time” takes place. But should you actually take the time, and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you’ll notice that those dirty little 14-year olds hid the real meaning to “game”, and that’s to be “lame or crippled”!

Supporting Point ii:

Supporting Point iii:

Transition: So, what’s so wrong about Peace and Gun-simulators that mentally train our children to be blood-thirsty-psychopaths?

Main Point 2: What’s so wrong about Peace and Gun-simulators that mentally train our children to be blood-thirsty-psychopaths? (I love this line so much, I’m using it twice.)
Supporting Point i: They’re our future, and we’re training them to be deficient, non-contributing members of our society; that’s what! MAVAV, Mothers Against Video Game Addiction and Violence, has said that not only do video games destroy a child’s self-esteem in contrast to their more athletic peers, but also noted that it leads to long-term depression and inevitably to become social outcasts.

Supporting Point ii: According to MAVAV, the facts of the matter are as such:
Fact: Very hardcore gamers are known as "underground." Illegally downloading video games, multimedia, and software, known as warez, is the only acceptable standard of living in the underground culture.
There is no citation to confirm this evidence.

Fact: Video games are proven to prevent proper development of social interactive skills which is needed for a happy enjoyable life. Gamers who pick up a controller very early in their lives are the most prone to life-long burdens such as long term depression and sadness.

Fact: Publishers exploit cute, huggable and lovable franchises such as Pokemon and Splinter Cell, in hopes of hooking more potential gamers in today's youth. This is the same strategy practiced in the tobacco industry.

I would elaborate on this but I feel that the three added, bolded, sentences in a way speak for themselves. It’s an argument that doesn’t need to be said, it is rather implied by the text itself. Sometimes, silence is stronger than anything else.

Supporting Point iii:

Transition: Then what is it? What is the answer to this horrible phenomenon that is gripping the children of our nation?

Main Point 3: The solution - massive amounts of propaganda, attack the gut-feeling of America and attempt to spread truthiness throughout the land!

Supporting Point i: The first step is to use powerful and emotionally charged language, similar to MAVAV’s liberal use of the words: murder, slaughter, addiction, and exploitation. The reason for this is that words like these have already attached meanings to them, those that strengthen the argument by applying to those pre-formed thoughts. Another method is to paraphrase articles supporting your cause, giving them an absolute feeling; because we all know that they’re unquestionable facts anyways!

Supporting Point ii: And a third method is attacking the weak point of an argument and ONLY that point. MAVAV, again, is a prime example of this. Taking into consideration the weak points of the medium, MAVAV focuses on games like Manhunt 2, a murder (Buzz word!) simulator, or World of Warcraft, which has a massive following and is within the spotlight… but they leave out the small-fries. Games like Mario, Sonic, Metroid, and Zelda. I mean, seriously, how many of you actually know any of those names? Small fries.

Supporting Point iii: Why resort to these measures? Because they feel right; they adhere to the concept of “truthiness”, which America is in dire need of. What is “truthiness”? Stephen Colbert, the man who coined the term, defines it as: “I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. 'Cause face it, folks; we are a divided nation. Not between Democrats and Republicans, or conservatives and liberals, or tops and bottoms. No, we are divided between those who think with their head, and those who know with their heart.”

Transition:

Conclusion: You know, it’s been said before, and I must at the very least mention this train of logic at the end, in order to refute it. “Why don’t parents just pay attention to what their kids do, and put in that extra effort to explore these things before letting their children?” To be quite frank, that’s just not a feasible argument; pay attention to our kids? Hah, laughable.

Posted by Linko_16

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Red

maybe this video might help? doubt it but whatever. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zxdGpfJtdp8

I thought I'd try to help out, and now I'm going to read the speech.

Posted by Linko_16

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?p=786122

This thread may interest you.

Posted by S

Haha funny. I'll post the finished product when I get home tonight. I'm all done with it, its just a matter of posting it. I won't be using it, but thanks for the thought.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Study the bull****ting techniques of Jack Thompson.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting MottaTheHutt: Study the bull****ting techniques of Jack Thompson.

Too common.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

IYO

Posted by S

By the way.

[center]A New Challenger Approaches!

MAVAV.org is a satirical site.
[/center]

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Ironic, I used MAVAV.org as a source in my pro-video game speech. I cited how the people on that website have no clue what they are talking about.

Posted by S

Introduction: November 1985, Duck Hunt is released to the US. Fourteen years later, Columbine. Coincidence? I think not.

Establish credibility/relevance: Addiction and violence could strike your home at any time, and video games could be the cause! Live in fear people.

Thesis: Video games are evil. For that matter, so is anything that has the ability to influence; internet, television, radio and even books! But I digress, one goliath at a time, right?

Preview three points: The point of me speaking tonight, is mere education; to attempt to persuade you on the horrendous visage that are video games; the effect such a maniacal grimace can have on our youth, and what we can do to stop it in its tracks!

Lead in to topic: Unnecessary filler.

Main Point I: What are