Super Mario Galaxy

Posted by Colonel

So today I crossed the boarder, into the USA to pay a visit to the Walden Galaria Mall in New York State.After shopping around I desided that it would be in my best interust to pay a visit to EB Games. When I arrived, to my utter and complete surprise, right there infront of my face was Super Mario Galaxy being played. Naturally I had to try it, and let me tell you it was AMAZING. I couldn't belive how smooth everything was, the colours were sooo vibrant, the controlls were so natural. The only problem I found was that it was harder to move that in other Mario games, but I discovered that if you press Z and jump Mario will preform a super jump as seen in Super Mario 64. The only diffrence here is that the jump there's barely any gravity, and you can feel the low sence of gravitation, this diferance is definatly for the better.

You guys jealous?

Posted by Ant

Well, I live in America. So no.

In any case, I really want to buy this game. Only 15 days!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Holy penis, it's almost out? WII GAME GET!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

****, 15 days? Shootan gaem or Mario, shootan gaem or mario... ****.

Shootan gaem. My buddy will probably want his Wii back to play some Mario anyways. Man, I didn't realise it was so soon though...

Posted by Ant

You got be fukken kidding me. Shootan gaem? What new fukken shootan gaem iz it this time?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Callofduty4mwfcov.jpg[/IMG]

shootan of the year '07

I'll probably get both, though I imagine Mario Galaxy will take priority. FORGIVE ME VAMP

Posted by Ant

oh, eh. If what I heard is correct, you won't be playing the game long. Well, by yourself anyways. 6 hour single player campaign? that's ****ing sad.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Who plays shootan for the rich single player experience?

If I had a Wii, Mario would be my first priority anyways. Even though I have the biggest hardon for CoD... it's Mario and it looks amazing. Though Mario comes out a full week later, so I could probably do both anyways. Just gotta factor in some bills...

Quoted post: oh, eh. If what I heard is correct, you won't be playing the game long. Well, by yourself anyways. 6 hour single player campaign? that's ****ing sad.

Veteran will take a good 10 hours and that's all I expect. I'm buying it for multi anyways. That's my game, I was one of the top CoD2 players and I still rock at CoD4, so I'll be playing it for many months to come.

Posted by protomanv4

I'm not jealous. It sounds like u had a great time :)

Posted by muffla

im rly short on cash right now. untill five star most go gh2 and finish halo 3 to get 1000 gs and finally beat re4 ill get mario

PS what ever happend with the ur mr gay, did they ever find out if it was on purpose

Posted by Arcadios

I'm gonna buy Mario with my first pay check. :)

Posted by muffla

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/super-mario-galaxy-japanese-ads-315959.php
2 new gameplay videos

Posted by Speedfreak

I swear COD4 came out like 2 months ago, or was that the demo?

Anyway, I was wondering where the hell the Galaxy thread was. Time to bring up some links.

[URL]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmgj/action/action.html[/URL]

All the powerups Mario can get. Makes me glad they showed the Bee and Boo suit first because the other four just scream awesome.

[URL]http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5006_en.html[/URL]

And a metric ton of gameplay videos.

This is going to be the most fun game ever made. I've been waiting for this game since Super Mario World (I even guessed the title!). Mario 64 was good but didn't cut it for me, Sunshine was even worse. But this is gonna bring me back about 15 years, I can't wait.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;768712]I swear COD4 came out like 2 months ago, or was that the demo?
Multiplayer beta on the 360, yeah. The PC single player demo came out last week.

[quote]Mario 64 was good but didn't cut it for me, Sunshine was even worse.
Silence, both of those games were awesome!

Quoted post: I swear COD4 came out like 2 months ago, or was that the demo?

Yeah, the beta. (ninja'd)

But yeah, glad the rest of the powerups don't suck like the bee suit. I was really disappointed by that one.

Posted by Colonel

I will not be getting Galaxy until Christmas. :(
58 more days

You know what I used to do? Find where all the gifts were hidden, open up the case and replace the disc/cart with one I never play, label down. Worked every time. Ruined christmas, but ****, it was usually worth it.

Posted by Ant

You never cease to amaze me.

But you know what's sad(or good I suppose) is that in this day and age a game like Mario Galaxy won't get nearly as much recognition as say SM64.

I don't know, dude. I think it's going to sell a ****ton and lots of people are going to love it. It's just going to get **** on the internet like every other popular game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

As long as it doesn't get the haterade that Halo 3 does. Every time I read an article relating to it, there's always one comment about ****sux. ALWAYS. Even if it's a ****ing video of a lucky grenade stick.

The great thing about Galaxy is, I haven't been following its development that closely, so I'm hoping for a lot of surprises.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;768717]Multiplayer beta on the 360, yeah. The PC single player demo came out last week.

Silence, both of those games were awesome!

They played great, don't get me wrong. But I grew up playing the 2D games, I was sucked into that crazy, absolutely mental universe where each level was even more bizarre than the last. Mario 64 by comparison was tame, a green level, a lava level, a castle level, the most fun stage was Rainbow Ride because it made the least sense. 3D vertical mazes and a winged, floating ship in the sky, that kind of magic is what Mario is really about. Sunshine was set almost in the real world, the most un-magical place there is. Galaxy, on the other hand has not only gone back to it's original Alice in Wonderland-style roots but it's also set in space. The potential for insanity skyrockets with that setting.

Posted by Unite

I have this game preorder , going to see if this game lives up to it's hype.

Posted by Arcadios

Oh yea, I'm gonna have to reserve it too. I'll put 20 dollars down.
I remember back when Sunshine was being released and you got a free towel with the Sunshine logo on it. Back then I thought it was awesome. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Ant;768786]You never cease to amaze me.

But you know what's sad(or good I suppose) is that in this day and age a game like Mario Galaxy won't get nearly as much recognition as say SM64.

I'm sure it won't get as much recognition for being 3D because that's sort of been done the last 10 years. But the game is much more accessible as a 3D game than Mario 64 was, a lot of the people that played 64 found they were confused by controlling both Mario and the camera, Galaxy totally eliminates the problem.

If I had to put money on it (and to be honest my Wii predictions have been pretty awesome so far) I'd say it's sales will surpass even 64s and reach the kinds of audience the 2D games did. It's easy to play, it's crazy and fun, 2 people can co-op and the family can gather around it, when was the last time a Mario game did that?

Posted by Arcadios

I don't know. My family never did time together on games yet they're the ones who introduced me to them. My mom would always play Super Mario World and my dad would play it on occasions.

Posted by maian

I'm really glad I haven't been following this game like, at all. Occasionally I'll click something on it, but for the most part, I've watched the trailers, and that's it. So whenever I see some new videos (ie, those powerup videos) I see how much crap there is in the game that I never even knew about, and how fscking big the game looks.

I'll be getting it on the first day. I'm pleased to say that, except for the space parts, it truly looks like 2D Mario games made into 3D. Awesome. It looks like most of the game will be like the obstacle courses in Sunshine, which were pretty much the best parts.

Posted by muffla

i cant wait to play it, its gonna be cool seeing the fire flower power up in 3-D

Quoted post: Back then I thought it was awesome.

It is awesome. I think I still have it.

Quoted post: 2 people can co-op

You mean one person plays and the other shoots little rocks? Eh... I don't think that aspect is going to be such a huge hit.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;768985]the family can gather around it,What makes Mario Galaxy different enough to cause a family to gather round it? I dig games a huge bunch, and even I don't take that much fun from watching people play.

You can shoot little rocks at enemies, DUH

Posted by Drewboy64

Actually, I think the co-op in Mario Galaxy will be pretty fun. After me and my bro played it at Gamestop, I really wanted to just pick up another wiimote and start shooting.

Oh man, Mario Galaxy is freaking amazing. The (minor spoiler) star powerup is SO awesome, you just feel so fast and powerful when you have it.

Game of the year.

What isn't game of the year to you?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

DrewBoy, the more you throw around 'Game of the Year', the less meaning the award has.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting The X: DrewBoy, the more you throw around 'Game of the Year', the less meaning the award has.

I've never used game of the year, only "greatest game evar." And I only said it in excitement.

Quoted post: I've never used game of the year,

Yes you have.

Posted by Drewboy64

no, im pretty sure i said best game evar. and they're pretty much the same thing, so i agree with you that i use it too much.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You know what I used to do? Find where all the gifts were hidden, open up the case and replace the disc/cart with one I never play, label down. Worked every time. Ruined christmas, but ****, it was usually worth it.

This sounds clever, but what do you do when you parents realize the game isn't in its original plastic rapping?

My mom never really noticed. Though even then if you were really desperate you can open the packaging without tearing the plastic by lifting the corners where they're folded over. Then just slip the wrapping back on and glue the folds back down. A buddy of mine used to do that when we worked at EB.

Posted by Pit

Why does colonel have a Pit avatar. I mean, is he high or what?

I haven't missed a mario platformer, so I reserved myself a copy of galaxy. I wasn't too disappointed with sunshine, I don't know why people hate it so much. It had way more platforming elements than SM64 had, and those secret levels were fun as hell. Sunshine was hot :(

Galaxy looks like it's going to destroy all Mario platformers.

You know what game is going to suck though? Brawl.

Posted by Colonel

I have a Pit avitar because i called dibs befor you did, regardless of your username.

Posted by Speedfreak

I suggest one of you change your avatars to Sam L Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

Anyway, the family will gather round it because it's a bit more takey-turney than Sunshine or 64 and the co-op will work very well for two non-gamers. Oh, and the fact that anyone can pick it up and play it because it's on a Wii. There are some genuine gameplay reasons why it's better for a family but a lot of it's just marketing.

I'd say most of those reasons you just listed is marketing and not much more...

Posted by Speedfreak

And marketing is what makes the moneys. Being the first playable 3D Mario game to a lot of ex-gamers is a pretty huge plus, though.

Right, but that doesn't actually make it more of a "family will gather around this" game. They may because of marketing, but hell, Halo could be the same if the marketed it that way hard enough.

Posted by Ant

It has a target audience, and it's not the old gamers. And it's no Wii Sports, that's for **** sure. But who gives a ****?

Posted by Speedfreak

The way it's designed will make it popular with families for the same reasons old Mario games were. That's marketing, designing a product to fit a specific purpose and placing it correctly in the market. There's more to marketing than advertising. Halo couldn't be marketed to fit that audience because the product itself doesn't fit that role. Halo 3 would be a terrible product to try to get non and ex-gamers to play. Had Microsoft advertised Halo 3 that way they not only would have failed miserably to sell it to that audience but it would've turned off a lot of Halo fans aswell.

Posted by Last Fog

I played it. The one thing that bothers me is that the areas are too small. You're constantly moving between little meteors or planetoids. You do one simple task then shoot to the next one. I hope the environments get larger further into the game.

Quoted post: I played it. The one thing that bothers me is that the areas are too small. You're constantly moving between little meteors or planetoids. You do one simple task then shoot to the next one. I hope the environments get larger further into the game.

I have a feeling that's just a demo-y part of the game. I believe they said it would open up and they'd be much larger areas and the like.

Quoted post: The way it's designed will make it popular with families for the same reasons old Mario games were. That's marketing, designing a product to fit a specific purpose and placing it correctly in the market. There's more to marketing than advertising. Halo couldn't be marketed to fit that audience because the product itself doesn't fit that role. Halo 3 would be a terrible product to try to get non and ex-gamers to play. Had Microsoft advertised Halo 3 that way they not only would have failed miserably to sell it to that audience but it would've turned off a lot of Halo fans aswell.

Yeah, bad example. But what I was trying to say was that it's still essentially a one player game and everyone else would just be watching, which is fairly boring after awhile. Sure you can have a brother or sister shoot little rocks at enemies, but will that really hold their attention? Not likely. I'm just saying it's mechanics don't really allow it to be a family game like other Wii titles (namely mini-game titles.) It's still single-player and not much more.

Not quite sure if I made me point clear, but idk, it's 5 AM =/

Posted by Ant

Hmm, so far based off the gameplay vids there appears to be a lot of old music being remixed into this newer title. Thus far I've heard: Overland music from SMB3, Bowser stages from SM64, and the ship music from SMB3. Just a little thing I noticed :angel:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;770184]Bowser stages from SM64
SAUCE NOW

Bowser in the Fire Sea is great.

Posted by Ant

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27109.html

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv uuuuuuuuuuuu

Wow, that takes me back. Awesome music. I'm starting to take more interest in this game now.

Posted by Ant

I also noticed from that video that the player only had 15 stars. So this most likely means multiple Bowser encounters, once again!

And I found it odd that they didn't actually have Bowser speak this time. Well, he has lines, but they aren't spoken. Probably for the best.

Game Intro here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27219.html

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's great that he doesn't speak. In Sunshine he was all like 'I LOVE YOU, JUNIOR. WE'LL GET THAT MARIO NEXT TIME!' And it was terrible.

Great intro. Surprisingly grim, with the SMB3 ship music in the background. I wonder how many Toads died in the shelling. I hope for quite a lot.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;770172]Yeah, bad example. But what I was trying to say was that it's still essentially a one player game and everyone else would just be watching, which is fairly boring after awhile. Sure you can have a brother or sister shoot little rocks at enemies, but will that really hold their attention? Not likely. I'm just saying it's mechanics don't really allow it to be a family game like other Wii titles (namely mini-game titles.) It's still single-player and not much more.

Not quite sure if I made me point clear, but idk, it's 5 AM =/

I get what you're saying, I think what you've said certainly applies to the hardcore gamer. I'll use the feature to play with my girlfriend but probably not with my brother or friends.

What you're forgetting is outside of our hardcore group most people are quite bad at videogames. Despite Galaxy's way of getting around camera issues and simplified gameplay the more casual players will still find it challenging. They haven't mastered the analog stick, they don't fully grasp the concept of 3D space like we do.
Any help in the game would be welcome to them, if another casual player picked up the remote there would have to be a great deal of communication between them because they are still learning. If it were you and I playing we'de blaze through it barely speaking to eachother, to them we're look like some symbiotic robot team. But what's obvious to us through our combined 30 years or so of playing isn't at all obvious to them.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. But as long as the game is family-friendly, isn't that then true of any game, simply due to the complexity of the controls for any newcomer to video games? It's due to a flaw that it attracts a group, because it takes more than one person to figure out how it's played, it wasn't specifically designed for that fact.

Well, maybe they figured that out and that's why they slapped in the extra wiimote support, but still.

Posted by Unite

Well after seeing my friend play this game, i'm quite impressed with this game. A copy of the game was leaked on to the net my friend downloaded and burned to disc. He modded his wii so he can play

You mario fans out there are in for real treat come nov 12. It actually lives up to the hype it is reciving(sp).

Posted by maian

This game just looks incredible. I pretty much haven't tracked any of it, at all. So now that I've been watching the videos, I am completely amazed. It just looks phenomenal. The levels are creative, utilize a lot of platforming, and are actually big. The powerups rock and the game is beautiful. I feel for the first time that I'm looking at 2D Mario turned into 3D.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What's with everyone and this 'all 3D Marios before this are now inadequate' stuff? Mario 64, and even Sunshine, were ****ing awesome and 64 in particular will go down as revolutionary.

Posted by maian

I never said they were inadequate. I love both games to death, and I'm playing through sunshines right now. But, this is the first one, to me, that feels like 2D Mario gameplay reincarnated into 3D. Mario 64 was a little bit, but the worlds were still too, uh, structured to me. That being said, I played M64 to death, thinking of it instead as the new way to play Mario. That's no bad thing.

Sunshine was fantastic, and it saddens me that it receives so much negativity all the time. It's fun, often challenging, and certainly long enough. But in no way did it feel like a traditional Mario game. It was on a tropical island, with very real settings, with characters and elements never before seen to the series, while forgetting about many others traditional to it. Again, that's not bad, but I do like how, after watching vids of this one, I'm already feeling "Mario".

Posted by Borealis

I decided to go with Mario, already pre-purchased and ready for shipping as soon as it's available.

I guess I'll have to wait for Call of Duty 4 a little bit more, but yeah, priority on Mario.

Posted by Speedfreak

64 was good but also a screwup because it wasn't accessible, which is what Mario is supposed to be. They also completely changed the level structure.

Sunshine played well, but some levels were awful and the atmosphere was totally lost.

Galaxy keeps it accessible and keeps it feeling like the Mario universe, so it's really what 64 and Sunshine should've been.

Compared to most (if not all) other 3D platformers 64 and Sunshine are the pinnacle so far, but Mario games are held to a ridiculously high standard. Compared to the 2D games they don't stack up.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;775086]64 was good but also a screwup because it wasn't accessible, which is what Mario is supposed to be. They also completely changed the level structure.

Galaxy keeps it accessible and keeps it feeling like the Mario universe, so it's really what 64 and Sunshine should've been.

What makes 64 less accessible compared to Galaxy? Mario's moveset is almost the exact same in Galaxy as it was in 64, but now waggle = spin attack.

I don't doubt this game is gonna kick serious *** though.

Posted by Speedfreak

In Mario 64 you had to control the camera on as well of Mario. Independently. In 3D space. A lot of the casual gamers that the Mario series is designed for weren't really up to that kind of challenge after playing Super Mario Bros or Mario Bros 3.

The spherical worlds thing isn't just for shits and giggles, it's because it eliminates the need to control the perspective.

Posted by maian

Was 64's Camera really that much of a problem? Maybe I have a bad memory, but I don't ever remember having to "control" the camera. It followed pretty well.

Posted by Zeta

I remember it tended to get "caught" in enclosed areas, like Shifting Sand Land's pyramid.

It was one of the first camera's you physical controlled, something developers still can't get right... it had its problems. Keep in mind though, a lot of casual gamers have a hard time grasping controls that require moving two independent bodies, so Speedy's right. A lot of the accessibility was lost to many people and would still be if Nintendo hadn't developed a new camera.

Posted by Luigi61289

mario 64 was the "first" and will always be in history as so, so naturally there were a few annoyances with the camera, but i absolutly still love the game i am going through it again now

Posted by Arcadios

Reserves it with $20 on it.
It was playable since the Wii at the Gamestop had it but I was in a rush and couldn't play. :(

Posted by Ant

I wanted to play it but the fags wouldn't turn it on.

Posted by Al Borland

I have to buy a Wii now

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

9.8 Gametrailers
9.7 IGN
9.5 Gamespot
5/5 Gamespy

****ing yeeeeeeeeeeeah, universal acclaim. Next Friday this game is totally going to prevent me from buying Assassin's Creed.

I gotta say, Gametrailers has some of the best and most accurate reviews.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;775279]Speedy's right.

Thought I'd never see the day.

There's also the controller to consider. Have you seen the N64 controller? It'd be terrifying to someone used to NES or SNES.

I'm still waiting on Actionbutton's review, I like how they use the 4 star system film critics use.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The Wiimote+Nunchuck combo has almost as many buttons to master as the N64 pad, though.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting The X: The Wiimote+Nunchuck combo has almost as many buttons to master as the N64 pad, though.

Yeah but with motion controls a lot of the button's and button combo's needed are replaced with motion. So you hardly ever have to use all the buttons or have it where the system seems convoluted.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;775560]The Wiimote+Nunchuck combo has almost as many buttons to master as the N64 pad, though.

You're really not getting this "what will the non-player think" thing, are you?

Posted by Unite

I would would rate this one higher than mario 64 , but i'm sucker for flying.

2 player, the second player helps collect star clusters/shards (forgot the name they refer them to) for you that can be used to fire at enemies on screen.

After you collected the stars from a galaxy stage a comet passes over to give you a challenge , like one life against a boss, speed up enemies , timer etc.

Posted by username0

o rly? **** i' am really need to get a wii. i mean mario 64 little old yes.years of fun to come hell yeah!!! but its so soon to coming i'll nevr get a wii in time. :(

Posted by Borealis

Quoting username0: o rly? **** i' am really need to get a wii. i mean mario 64 little old yes.years of fun to come hell yeah!!! but its so soon to coming i'll nevr get a wii in time. :(

The Wii isn't going anywhere, and neither is Galaxy.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=TendoAddict;775587]Yeah but with motion controls a lot of the button's and button combo's needed are replaced with motion. So you hardly ever have to use all the buttons or have it where the system seems convoluted.
The only motion controls in Galaxy are a waggle = spin attack move, and pointing and clicking to collect stars. All Mario's jumping is still a button affair.
[quote=Speedfreak;775592]You're really not getting this "what will the non-player think" thing, are you?
no :(

Quoted post: I like how they use the 4 star system film critics use.

Ugh, anything that's not on a ten point system is stupid as far as I'm concerned. 4 stars just doesn't tell you enough.

Quoted post: no

The basic shape of it alone is more appealing, that's why it looks like a TV remote. That, and if you simply look at it there seems to be a lot less buttons. Plus, motion control is easier to grasp than individually controlling two sticks. Ever see a new kid to the FPS genre, or just about every girl out there? They can't wrap their heads around moving AND looking. They always stop to shoot because they can't do both.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;775937]Ugh, anything that's not on a ten point system is stupid as far as I'm concerned. 4 stars just doesn't tell you enough.

What doesn't it tell you? What would you need to know? Zero stars is a bad game, 1 star is average, 2 is good, 3 is great and 4 is groundbreaking awesome game design. Technically that's actually 5 points, and Actionbutton uses half a star in their scores anyway so you do end up having a 10 point scale. The difference is where the average game lies on the scale. On the typical game review anything below a 7 sucks, that's over half the scale devoted to how bad the game is with only 4 points for how good it is. On the 4 star scale you have 8 points to describe how good it is and 2 points to describe how bad it is. It serves the reader much better and prevents every big game from scoring a 9 or 10.

Posted by Borealis

I just saw the preview on GameTrailers... and I came.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27584.html

Gameplay got a ten. Solid, but if the story were maybe a bit more captivating I'm sure the whole game would have been 10.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

Galaxy is a must buy for me but the thing is i am going to have to pick it up or Call of Duty 4 for 360, i will have both eventually i just cant decide what one to get first.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Borealis;775967]I just saw the preview on GameTrailers... and I came.

[URL]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27584.html[/URL]

Gameplay got a ten. Solid, but if the story were maybe a bit more captivating I'm sure the whole game would have been 10.

OH YEAH. THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I play Mario for the intense story line...

Posted by maian

Just finished storyline. I love how some reviews complain about the lack of voice acting, yet whine about it in Sunshine. I'm glad it's without voice acting. One of the things that ruined Sonic was its crappy story, trying to be all intense and with horrible voice acting, and meant to be taken seriously. =/

Mario just needs a light plot. Trying to insert a deep plot into Mario just makes it worse. Sunshine was fantastic, but that was its weakest point, in my opinion. If it doesn't have much of a story, it can go to all kinds of places, as seen in Galaxy.

Posted by Zeta

Galaxy doesn't have a deep complex story? I'm not playing it then.

Posted by Borealis

Quoting Zeta: Galaxy doesn't have a deep complex story? I'm not playing it then.

It's intense if you're 5. :mad:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, it's got Kamek. I can't argue with that.

Posted by Borealis

Yeah, Kamek is sick.

Quoted post: Zero stars is a bad game, 1 star is average, 2 is good, 3 is great and 4 is groundbreaking awesome game design.

How the **** is 1 star average? That's straight-up bad. There's just too much of a difference between one, two and three in a five point system. I mean, there's enough of a difference between a six game and a seven game, let alone a two and a three.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

I would say i favor the 10 point system, but i do think that way way way to many games get 9.0-9.9 that really are only worth 7.5-8.9 i mean lets face it a 7.5 should not be average on a 10 point system i think 5.0 should be average. and the way the 10 point system is run, i don't think there is ANY game worth a 10 if 7.0-7.9 is average.

Example: Resident Evil 4 getting 10's from some reviews. i know that this game was groundbreaking for the series and it is amazing but there is no way its absolutely perfect. the 2nd play through alone was a joke let alone the 4th and 5th play through. i mean i barely have to use ammo to make it through that game shoot for the knees and knife them on the ground and as there getting up then the last strike knocks them back down. and when you are facing more than 5 at one time just run to the far end of that map and back and round them up like headless chickens then you have a nice organized group that you could use just one grenade on but to make things even easier just shoot one walk up kick him and you'll get a strike knocking them all down with one hit. rinse wash and repeat and in no time flat all of them are bye bye. and you have shot 5 or 6 pistol bullets. the AI is not 10/10, no way.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

On the second playthrough, you have **** like an infinite RPG and a Thompson. No matter how smart the AI is, it was still gonna get flattened. Plus, Resident Evil 4's enemies are zombies. They're not supposed to be clever.[spoiler]in b4 someone clarifies las plagas to me and says they're not zombies[/spoiler]

Most reviewers don't have 10 or 5 as perfect since they all realise there will never exist such a game. Rather, its meant as a way to say this particular game is as good as it gets.

Posted by F1NALSMASH

Technically they are not zombies there were just infected they did push that note so they were supposed to be a little harder then brainless, which i give it to that they were but not when you factor in the more action type game play never scarce on ammo and no ribbons to save so the infected really should have been harder and the 2nd play through you only get those things if you want them sure i did use them to have some fun with but i certainly did not use them on my second play through then i tried beating the game on professional for my third time without saving and got to krauser (spelling?) and died and accidently hit no to the continue setting...

Posted by WillisGreeny

I like the 5 point scale myself, but mainly for overall performance.

1 = Waste of disk space
2 = Not worth buying
3 = Avg game
4 = Well made
5 = Must play

I simplify the scale dispute this way; 5 scale is best if you like decimals, 10 scale is best if you don't. Both scales suck if the reviewer sucks.

Posted by Arcadios

**** yeah, no school tomorrow or work.
Plan on heading to the mall at 10 in the morning.

Posted by s0ul

So it comes out tomorrow, but are stores actually going to have it tomorrow? Because things usually come out on Tuesday, and I'd like to miss school for it, but I don't want to skip and not get a copy tomorrow. Quick, someone answer before I have to make the choice!

Posted by Borealis

SKIP SCHOOL

I might just get it on Tuesday anyway, since I ordered it online.

Posted by s0ul

Ha, it's not like a moral decision, it's just a matter of whether or not stores are actually getting it tomorrow that I'm asking.

Posted by Last Fog

I imagine most stores won't have it until Tuesday. Monday is the shipping day, but usually games don't hit shelves until the following day.

Yeah, the date given is shipping with the following being street. Though, EB and Gamestop usually have high-priority titles day of after 5 PM. Call them up and ask when you can pick it up without a pre-order, you'll likely be told you can drop by any time after they set aside the pre-order copies.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;776402]How the **** is 1 star average?

They decided to not put the average score on the middle of the scale on purpose because no one gives a crap if the game's below average, so why go into so much detail? They decided it was more important to measure the difference between games that have decent enough production values and gameplay, your blockbusters like Halo 3 and your extremely rare games that have both ridiculously high production values and gameplay that excells anything before it. In the usual review system all 3 of those would get a 9 or a 10, which doesn't really tell the player anything and we end up getting weird situations where Tony Hawk games score higher than Zelda.

That's the only place I've heard of that. It makes sense in a way, but there's still too much leeway in a 5 point scale in my opinion. Plus, 5-6 is considered average in most scales, but people still won't settle for anything lower than an eight in most cases. I guess I can't see anyone considering a one to be average.

Posted by greeney80

ok i was told that it comes out the 12 by nintendo i went in to gamestop to pick up my copy of super mario galixy and they say that it comes out tomorow wtf is going on.

Read up a few posts. The date given is the SHIPPING date. As in, that's the day it's being shipped to the stores. Not the date it's actually in stores. However, central EB/Gamestops will get day-of, all outer stores will get it the following day (unless the store manager is dedicated enough to drive to the central shop.)

Posted by Borealis

I really hope it's at my doorstep tommorow.

Posted by Arcadios

No Galaxy until tomorrow. ;_;

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;776998]That's the only place I've heard of that. It makes sense in a way, but there's still too much leeway in a 5 point scale in my opinion. Plus, 5-6 is considered average in most scales, but people still won't settle for anything lower than an eight in most cases. I guess I can't see anyone considering a one to be average.

...it's the standard scoring system for movie critics. Newspapers and other non-gaming publications will score games with the 4 star system.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;777225]...it's the standard scoring system for movie critics. Newspapers and other non-gaming publications will score games with the 4 star system.
Pretty sure most use five stars. Empire movie magazine being a notable one.

Quoted post: ...it's the standard scoring system for movie critics. Newspapers and other non-gaming publications will score games with the 4 star system.

1 being average is standard? I don't know about that. Then again I never pay attention to movie critics let alone five-star reviews.

Posted by maian

Most movie reviews I see use the A-F scale. I think that's a great grading system, honestly.

Anyway, bah. No Galaxies anywhere here today, not even in any of the notable game stores. I'll wait tomorrow, if I must. ;_;

Posted by Borealis

Quoted post: Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: November 15, 2007 - November 19, 2007
Shipping estimate: November 12, 2007

* 1 of: Super Mario Galaxy

:(

Posted by s0ul

If it cheers you up at all I have it now and I'm hyperventilating. :)

Posted by Ant

I'm gonna check and see if the walmart or target have it at 9.

Posted by WillisGreeny

That there Walmart always be releasen early eh?

I'm surprised if they hadn't done pre-shipping, requireing all stores to not sell it untill the release date but have it stored.

Quoted post: I'm surprised if they hadn't done pre-shipping, requireing all stores to not sell it untill the release date but have it stored.

Except those stores will still sell it. Halo 3 was leaked even though MS threatened the **** out of basically every store. Nintendo's doing the right thing for such a huge title.

Posted by Borealis

*anxious*

Posted by Ant

Walmart didn't have it, and target won't have it till the 14th. Oh well, I'll just check gamestop tomorrow.

Posted by s0ul

Jesus, it's been a long time since I've fallen in love with a game so quickly. The music is amazing and I'm really really enjoying everything about this game. Just got 30 stars and decided to call it a night, I don't want to be too tired tomorrow to play all day, since I only got it at like 8 tonight. At the current rate though I should be able to beat it tomorrow, which'll be neat.

Posted by Ant

heh, yeah I heard the first 60 stars are too easy to get. But oh well, not like you expect these kind of games to be hard.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting s0ul: Jesus, it's been a long time since I've fallen in love with a game so quickly. The music is amazing and I'm really really enjoying everything about this game. Just got 30 stars and decided to call it a night, I don't want to be too tired tomorrow to play all day, since I only got it at like 8 tonight. At the current rate though I should be able to beat it tomorrow, which'll be neat.
How is that neat? Sounds pretty disappointing to me. You wait months for a game only to beat it in two days? Well hopefully the other half of the stars will be a much bigger task.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=s0ul;777855]Jesus, it's been a long time since I've fallen in love with a game so quickly. The music is amazing and I'm really really enjoying everything about this game. Just got 30 stars and decided to call it a night, I don't want to be too tired tomorrow to play all day, since I only got it at like 8 tonight. At the current rate though I should be able to beat it tomorrow, which'll be neat.

You son of a bitch. I remember your initial reaction to the game.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Last Fog: How is that neat? Sounds pretty disappointing to me. You wait months for a game only to beat it in two days?

That would be neat for me. Mass Effect is coming out next week (which will take up 98% of my gaming time), and I'm planning to keep playing Guitar Heo III and picking up Kane & Lynch.

Busy holiday... thank the G[color=yellowgreen]o
d of War for MGS4 and GTAIV being pushed back. :)[/color]

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Last Fog: How is that neat? Sounds pretty disappointing to me. You wait months for a game only to beat it in two days? Well hopefully the other half of the stars will be a much bigger task.

Uh, it's a platformer, and it took me like 5 hours to get 30 stars. There's 120, so even if the rest weren't going to be harder that'd still be 20ish hours. I'm not going to intentionally draw out the time I take to beat the game, and I don't see why anyone would.

Posted by Ant

Finally picked up my copy earlier from the local gameshop :D

Picked up my own copy earlier this morning. I just have to wait until my friend's done with his Wii. So thank *** it's relatively easy to get through.

Posted by Speedfreak

Platformers aren't supposed to be epic adventures. 5-10 hours is about the ideal length, any longer and it screws up the replay value.

Posted by Ant

Quoting s0ul: Uh, it's a platformer, and it took me like 5 hours to get 30 stars. There's 120, so even if the rest weren't going to be harder that'd still be 20ish hours. I'm not going to intentionally draw out the time I take to beat the game, and I don't see why anyone would.

I guess we're about on the same pace. I got 17 in about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Mario felt kinda weird to me at first, sorta stiff. But once you get into it you don't even notice it.

And I really like the way Rosalina looks :(

Posted by Unite

I preorder mine at eb but they took too long for shipment to arrive so i bought it at walmart LOL. Going tomorrow to pick up the second copy.

Quoted post: And I really like the way Rosalina looks

She should replace peach.

Posted by Colonel

I picked up my copy at the EB Games in St.Catherines today. Unfortunatly I cant play it until christmas, but i took Vamps advice and I removed the bottom area of the plastic casing so that the game can be easily slipped out. Now all I have to do is wait until tomorrow after school to play it when my mom isn't around.

EDIT: How 'bout that coin?

Posted by s0ul

Just finished it, the whole ending was awesome except for the very very end of it. No spoilers til more people are done, but **** that was a good game. Some of the upside-down nonsense got really frustrating but besides maybe some other Marios it was easily the best jumpan game I've ever played.

Posted by Arcadios

Played it for like an hour and 30 mins. Only got 4 starts but that's because I'm just taking my time really. It's my favorite Wii game so far. A lot better than TP IMO.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Getting mine tomorrow.

Posted by maian

It's...amazing. Got mine today at 4. Just beat the second Bowser fight. I absolutely love it. But whats with the fire flower being timed? Lame. I'd rather just have it last until you take a hit.

Posted by Ant

Well, just "beat" it with the 60 stars. Took me 10 hours and 35 minutes total.

Kinda wish the last boss was a bit harder, oh well. Loved the music though.

Quoted post: Kinda wish the last boss was a bit harder, oh well.

Not like I've ever expected difficulty from games like Mario or Zelda. The bosses are always pretty simple to figure out.

Posted by Speedfreak

Anyone see that Galaxy review on Variety? The guy pretty much trashed the game for the most pretty crap ever. The best part? The "Sponsored by Sony" banner at the top of the review.

That's why you don't listen to reviews from magazines like Maxim and whatnot. When I see horrible game commercials with "5 OUT OF 5 - MAXIM" I just have to laugh.

Posted by Ant

When I show all the ladies my PSTriple, you know what they say? They [COLOR="Lime"]fu[/COLOR]cking laugh.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't understand.

Posted by s0ul

That's 'cause you a gay nigga. Or a mexican-*** nigga.

Posted by maian

I want 120 stars so I can be LOL SPOILERS Luigi LOL SPOILERS

Posted by s0ul

I WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU

Posted by Ant

I have 101 right now at about 20 hours in.

Posted by Arcadios

When playing Bowser's stage for the first time.

Posted by Ant

The first stage was pretty straight forward. But the 2nd Bowser stage made me just say aloud "wow".

Posted by maian

I have all the stars. :cookie:

Payoff is certainly better in this game.

And, what's with the lack of Yoshi? =/ He was in Sunshine. It's odd. 64 and Sunshine never even mentioned Luigi, while he has a significant role in this game. But then, Yoshi gets canned.

Posted by Ant

yeah I'm only 5 away.

as for yoshi...**** that faggot.

Posted by maian

stfu I like Yoshi :(

Kind of wish the stars were harder to attain, but I'm not complaining There were some toughies. Sinking Lava Spire on Daredevil certainly wasn't easy the first time. Anyway, it's clear that Galaxy is waaay more linear and straightforward than the other two. Every single star is a mission star, not just hidden, and the hub world is just that: a simple, small world only used to access the others.

Posted by Ant

Ah man, I died so many times on that star. I got mighty ****ed off.

And the Toy Time Galaxy Purple Coins, that was extremely hard. Probably the hardest star to earn in any mario game yet.

Posted by Speedfreak

My God this game beats the crap out of Mario 64.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Maybe they'll make another Luigi only game like Luigi's Mansion for all those Luigi fans. Aren't there many Luigi fans?

Posted by Big Boss

I'm so glad Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development Tokyo - *Phew* - brought Mario back to the standard-setter it was before Super Mario Sunshine tarnished an otherwise flawless streak of innovative, genre-defining platformers.

It's simply ridiculous just how many simple, well-implemented, polished and (most importantly) fun gameplay mechanics Galaxy throws at the player level after level. It makes the player want to find out just what new abilities he'll learn to get the next star, or how the environment will interact in new ways with Mario's standard actions in the next level. It avoids repetition entirely and keeps a continually fresh experience.

Now, I don't think it's as revolutionary or exciting as Super Mario 64 was when it first came out, but that's a tall (almost unrealistic) order to achieve for any developer, even Nintendo. This is not to take anything away from Super Mario Galaxy. The game not only revitalizes Mario as the platformer to beat, something that couldn't be said at all in the last generation, and it's an excellent game to promote the Wii with.

A must buy, if anyone has any doubts.

Posted by Arcadios

Basically Galaxy is everything Sunshine isn't.
A real follow up to 64.

Quoted post: But the 2nd Bowser stage made me just say aloud "wow".

YOU WILL SAY WOW

and boy did I ever.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Arcadios;781358]Basically Galaxy is everything Sunshine isn't.
A real follow up to 64.

True sequel to Super Mario World, I say.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: True sequel to Super Mario World, I say.

Are you on ****ing crack?

A follow up to Super Mario world would have to be TWO DIMENSIONAL. LEFT TO RIGHT. NOT ****ING 3D.

Edit: You guys are fiends. I have like 15 stars.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not really. Galaxy plays more like the 2D games in terms of level variety and length. Mario 64 was like a goddamn adventure game at times. And there were only 15 bloody levels. It was weird.

Posted by maian

That's true. This one is way more true to the 2D games. Not only are there more powerups and the levels and elements are really ridiculous, it's much more straightforward and linear, with may more levels. And there's many galaxies that just have one star objective. They did it perfectly.

And yeah, Toy Time's Purple Coin challenge was pretty dang hard. I remember doing it once, then getting mad because I didn't get back to the star. Heh.

Posted by Ant

Last night I was going crazy trying to get the Melty Molten Daredevil Star. Let's just say, I ended up finishing with 999 star pieces(which I found out to be the limit)

Spiritual successor, not necessarily a "sequel," going back to that other comment.

Posted by maian

Quoting Ant: Last night I was going crazy trying to get the Melty Molten Daredevil Star. Let's just say, I ended up finishing with 999 star pieces(which I found out to be the limit)

lol

I had 500 or so. I found it to be really simple until I got to the spire, where I screwed up several times before finally doing it. I also had some trouble with Bouldergeist on daredevil, but I'll definitely say that Toy Time purple coin takes the cake.

Posted by Ant

I had the most trouble on that fire area before the spire and you have to get the five star pieces. Those fireball faggots killed me so many times.

Posted by maian

Meh, spin/kick. I would typically nail them from a distance with a star bit just to be safe.

Anyway, 120 STAR SPOILERS LOL

[[spoiler]So, who has all of them? What do you think of Luigi? Guess I'll find out what happens when I get all the stars with him. I think it's cool we get to play as him, though amirite[/spoiler]]

I wonder if that's really a spoiler to anyone...

Posted by Ant

It could be. But I'm going to talk about it as if it weren't. :D

Yeah I just got him last night. I like how they acually altered his character. He's slippery, a bit faster, and jumps further/higher. Though with the limited time I spent playing as him so far; I'd say I like Mario more.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Luigi was always the worst character in any of the Mario platformers with multiple characters. They should have made Peach playable... You could have dress-floated around the whole galaxy.

Still want to play as him, though.

Quoted post: Luigi was always the worst character in any of the Mario platformers with multiple characters. They should have made Peach playable... You could have dress-floated around the whole galaxy.

Mario 64 DS says otherwise.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

my arm hurts more than one of my masturbation sprees

this game is awesome

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;781864]Luigi was always the worst character in any of the Mario platformers with multiple characters. They should have made Peach playable... You could have dress-floated around the whole galaxy.

He was good in lost levels and was the same in Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3 and Mario World. I figure you're talking about Mario 2 so I'd say it's pretty even!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, when he's essentially a clone, I have no problem. It's mainly his Mario Bros 2 incarnation I take issue with. So I guess 'always' was a sweeping statement.

Posted by Speedfreak

He was useful for a few levels though.

Posted by Pit

I only used Luigi in Mario Bros 2. Level skipping, super high jumps, floaty, he was perfect. Yeah he didn't run as fast and din't have the power, but it's a platform game and that nigga can jump sonnnnnn

Quoted post: Yeah, when he's essentially a clone, I have no problem.

Which is pretty boring. Might as well just play Mario.

Posted by Arcadios

Taking my sweet ol' time here.
Got 50 Stars and in the bedroom.
Pretty ****ing awesome and hasn't changed.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: Luigi was always the worst character in any of the Mario platformers with multiple characters. They should have made Peach playable... You could have dress-floated around the whole galaxy.

**** you Luigi is awesome! He's the pros choice. Pussies play Lost Levels with Mario. Tough guys love that skidding action.

Posted by Linko_16

I picked up my preorder the day after release, and just now I beat it for the first time with 105 stars - all of them that you could get before that purple comet appeared. I did about six of the purple coin stars before deciding to finish later.

And, uh, I wasn't as impressed with it as everyone else seems to be. Yeah, it's fun, but I was expecting more... it's not even close to the "sequel to Super Mario 64 that Sunshine wasn't" that I've heard is spoken of as. In my opinion, Sunshine and Galaxy are about on the same level. Of course, I didn't think as badly of Sunshine as everyone else did.

I think the main reason I don't like it is how linear the levels are - only one way to go, only one path to the star, zero room to explore, make mistakes, go the wrong way, get to know the level, find weird shortcuts that the developers may not have intended, et cetera. Someone said a few pages back the Super Mario 64 was "almost an adventure game," but what was so bad about that?

Oh well. Still a great game. Can't wait to see what I get for all 120 stars.

Luigi

Posted by Linko_16

Oh, that's nice to hear. I remember thinking for a few glorious moments that he would have a few stars to get himself after you found him, but then I found out he was just going to get his stupid *** stuck for you to go rescue... lame.

Posted by Ant

The one difference between mario and luigi's adventure is it appears that the cosmic comets are a lot harder with luigi than with mario. otherwise, the same.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Linko_16:

I think the main reason I don't like it is how linear the levels are - only one way to go, only one path to the star, zero room to explore, make mistakes, go the wrong way, get to know the level, find weird shortcuts that the developers may not have intended, et cetera. Someone said a few pages back the Super Mario 64 was "almost an adventure game," but what was so bad about that?

Ugh, I ****ing hate that about a lot of games recently. Things don't have to be open-ended to be fun, it totally ruined Tony Hawk games for me, and it makes me mad that Burnout's taking the same direction. Wandering around big open areas isn't fun, that's transportation. I hate wandering around pointlessly forever before I find the route the star is on. Getting stars is supposed to be running and jumping- things that make it a platformer. Walking around and stumbling upon stars isn't fun at all. The whole element of the game is the runnan and jumpan, that's what makes it fun. You can't even die on big open planes, you're just wandering around looking for a short area of runnan and jumpan that's the part you actually want to play. I'm glad they cut out the bull**** and let you just do what you want to do, platforming to get stars. I'd be furious if they made it any more open than Mario 64.

Posted by Bebop

Totally agree with Soul. I defiantly prefer this attitude to getting the stars. Aside from actually feeling like a 3D platformer the open level hub system was getting so dull. I'm generally sick of those 'open level' games in general like GTA. It shows more creative skill if levels can be restricted and linear while feeling enjoyable or fresh in this day and age. I'm still waiting for the platformer that is enemy free and the levels rely purely on landscape design.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Linko_16;787061][COLOR=indigo]I think the main reason I don't like it is how linear the levels are - only one way to go, only one path to the star, zero room to explore, make mistakes, go the wrong way, get to know the level, find weird shortcuts that the developers may not have intended, et cetera. Someone said a few pages back the Super Mario 64 was "almost an adventure game," but what was so bad about that?

Oh well. Still a great game. Can't wait to see what I get for all 120 stars.
[/COLOR]

OBJECTION.

Since when were the 2D games open-ended? They had shortcuts and alternate endings (like Galaxy) but for the most part they were pretty linear. And most people would agree that they were more fun than Mario 64 or Sunshine. In the 3D games you'd know your way around the level after the 2nd star, and since there were only 15 levels it wasn't fun going back to them.

Mario isn't about exploration or finding stars, it's about obstacle courses.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting s0ul: Wandering around big open areas isn't fun, that's transportation. I hate wandering around pointlessly forever before I find the route the star is on. Getting stars is supposed to be running and jumping- things that make it a platformer.

There can be such thing as too much of an "open area" adventure (Wind Waker, anyone?), but I think Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine had it right. Galaxy had me feeling too much of "Jump across the platforms, launch yourself to the next planet. Find the button, launch yourself to the next planet. Now stomp these enemies, launch yourself to the next planet. Okay, there's the star, good job." Felt very mundane doing that twenty times.

EDIT - Ninja'd. My comparison was solely to the 3D games thusfar, and I thought the "adventure" set up was excellent. Don't get me wrong, I loved the 2D games also, but one way or another, the obstacle-course method wasn't as fun for me this time around.

Posted by Speedfreak

But the point was that's what the series has ALWAYS been about. And they stop it being mundane with the sheer variety of gameplay they throw at you.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm not saying that the whole time I was playing, I was going "Gee, this is boring, why'd I waste my money?" I was just looking forward to a new 3D adventure like the last two installments, and it turned out to be otherwise, which was a disappointment to me.

Posted by Ant

I agree with both soul and linko. I found the whole hub system a bit boring compared to that of 64 or hell, even sunshine. I enjoyed being able to find the stars in the hub section, and since they still have one of those in Galaxy, it would have been nice if they made use of that in some way or form.

Perhaps a straight up level progression map like on SMW would have worked?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant:
Perhaps a straight up level progression map like on SMW would have worked?

It pretty much does. Galaxy combines both a map level select menu and slight open level star selecting very well. Theres enough room for exploring and secret star finding while still sticking to the traditional platformer feel. It works so well.

Posted by Linko_16

Got all 120. LUIGI IS A FAST MOTHER****ER. The message you get when you unlock him is priceless.

I didn't realize you could start the whole game over as him. I'll save that for when I'm ready to play it through again.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Ant;787115]Perhaps a straight up level progression map like on SMW would have worked?

The only difference between the two is the presentation. There's still a fairly linear progression through the game through unlocking new galaxies with more stars, but you're free to branch out and take alternate routes when you want. Making it all look like a world map wouldn't make any difference.

Posted by Linko_16

Forgot to say that some of the 100 purple coin stars were HUGE fun. The Toy Time Galaxy one was as exhilarating as it was brutal. If only the whole game could've been that hard!

Posted by Ant

Quoting Bebop: It pretty much does. Galaxy combines both a map level select menu and slight open level star selecting very well. Theres enough room for exploring and secret star finding while still sticking to the traditional platformer feel. It works so well.

Quoting Speedfreak: The only difference between the two is the presentation. There's still a fairly linear progression through the game through unlocking new galaxies with more stars, but you're free to branch out and take alternate routes when you want. Making it all look like a world map wouldn't make any difference.

oh, okay

Posted by maian

Yeah, got Luigi a couple of weeks ago. Due to not having much time to do things and already have beaten the game, I've only done like, three stars with him. But Ant, the comic missions are harder? That gives me a lot more incentive to play.

Posted by keybearer225

dude i think there are way too many katamari boss things i mean really a bone fish?

what is up with the bomb boos?i mean u take them by the toungue and kill a ghost that looks like one from luigi's mansion or somethin'

Posted by protomanv4

I got SMG for a christmas gift yay, now i can't wait 2 open it tommorow...

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Just got Mario Galaxy and I can't stop playing it. I'm playing it at the same time I am typing this. No joke.

Posted by Arcadios

Haven't played it since early December. Plan on going back and getting all the stars with Mario so I can get Luigi since all I have to do now is basically just collect 100 coins from each stage which I hate to do even back when you had to do it for SM64. :(

Posted by Ant

I actually found them to be enjoyable this time around. I was worried it'd be like the blue coins in Sunshine.

Posted by Arcadios

oh shi- I thought you had to go around getting all the regular gold coins.
Purple coins are pretty awesome. Better than the past coin stars you had to get from Sunshine and 64.

Posted by Linko_16

I like it in the sense that it creates special new challenges rather than "trek across the stage to collect some coins."

Posted by protomanv4

I just got it, it's so......................................................................FUN! :)

Posted by maian

Blah. I hated purple coin challenges. At least, I hated the free roam ones. Purple Coins such as Toy Time were genius and commendable. Toy Times like Bee Land or...the Water Circle Land were dreadful. In those cases, I'd much rather take the golden coins because you're not finding 100 specifically placed coins. So if you have 99, you can't just find a different gold coin, you have to browse the stage for long periods trying to find just one.

Anyway, I play this from time to time now, hardly very much anymore. Any playtime is now with Luigi. Speaking of whoever's wondering, you for some reason, don't rescue Mario from the mansion and have him replace where Luigi would be in the main adventure, it's...Luigi again. Lazy programming. Anyhow, he'll say stuff like "Are you my twin? Makes sense. Out of everyone in the universe, there must be someone who looks like me." or "Hey, me! I'm working on more powerstars!"

Posted by Ant

Heh, yeah I was wondering what they were going to do with that. Ah well, at least to make up for it they make him stay weird stuff.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;798385]Blah. I hated purple coin challenges. At least, I hated the free roam ones. Purple Coins such as Toy Time were genius and commendable. Toy Times like Bee Land or...the Water Circle Land were dreadful. In those cases, I'd much rather take the golden coins because you're not finding 100 specifically placed coins. So if you have 99, you can't just find a different gold coin, you have to browse the stage for long periods trying to find just one.

Anyway, I play this from time to time now, hardly very much anymore. Any playtime is now with Luigi. Speaking of whoever's wondering, you for some reason, don't rescue Mario from the mansion and have him replace where Luigi would be in the main adventure, it's...Luigi again. Lazy programming. Anyhow, he'll say stuff like "Are you my twin? Makes sense. Out of everyone in the universe, there must be someone who looks like me." or "Hey, me! I'm working on more powerstars!"

It's not laziness, it would probably be easier to put Mario in there than write new dialogue. You'd just change the character model value in a few lines of code and write new dialogue that's exactly the same but with the names swapped around, a programmer could do it by himself. Putting in that new dialogue would actually involve the writer for the game aswell.

Posted by ghenning3657

i got it about a week ago and the only problem i have is how on the minigame planets its too easy to fall off or die....other than that great game =]

Posted by DeathScape

Quoting maian: Blah. I hated purple coin challenges. At least, I hated the free roam ones. Purple Coins such as Toy Time were genius and commendable. Toy Times like Bee Land or...the Water Circle Land were dreadful. In those cases, I'd much rather take the golden coins because you're not finding 100 specifically placed coins. So if you have 99, you can't just find a different gold coin, you have to browse the stage for long periods trying to find just one.

Mario never has lines of dialogue. He's limited to saying short one-liners like, "Welcome, welcome new Galaxy!" He's a silent protagonist, just like Link, Metroid, Pit, Kirby, and many other Nintendo heroes.

Anyway, Galaxy is my favorite game of all time. It's more linear than 64, for sure, but I like it this way. There's just a lot more platforming in it than 64 and Sunshine, and I feel like I'm playing a 2D game in 3D. It's awesome. The level design, killer sound, and impressive graphics just blow me a way. What makes it even better is that the game play is the best part.