Career vs. Wife

Posted by Dexter

Is it egotistical to devote one's life to themselves? Am I so self-satisfied?

I must reflect on myself and meditate in order to discover my hidden talents that I've thus far not discovered. Then, I'm going to take my talents, old and new, and turn them into skills with forcible practice. After I assemble and master all my skills, I will initiate my plan in order to accumulate control and supreme power.

I'm 24 and I am now financially secure. Secure enough that I don't have to worry about daily survival or fret when I blow my money on something huge. Secure enough to secure others, even a family. Financial security helps with confidence, as does being loved. Money is the keycode that'll bypass the geminate-lock. Money is power in itself and a tool that will aid you in taking control over certain situations and receiving even more power!

In just a few days, I will be making my way to Japan. My adventure there should prove to be time-worthy. Not only will it be a fun, new, refreshing experience, but it'll also serve my career greatly, further pushing me towards the position of magnificent power! Nothing's standing in my way! Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Anyway, today I tried to imagine how life would be if I were married or was to get married. I doubt I could go into the career I'm going into as comfortably and I doubt the wife would be able to tolerate such frequent absences. Who knows where I'll choose to go after I'm finished with Tokyo. Imagine if I had my own kids! They would significantly hinder my fight for power! Casual dating works just fine, but marriage...and children! Forget it!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Can't imagine you married... though you'd be surprised how long a woman will stick with you assuming she's not career-oriented like yourself. But yeah, if you're traveling a bunch, you're bound to get divorced in the long run, without a doubt, so you really can't have both I guess.

But, I bet further down the road once this career is fully established you'll be able to settle into something that's more focused in one location. You still got lots of time ahead of you, right?

Posted by Dexter

I'm not even halfway through my life yet. The prime time of my life is just now beginning. I'm way too young to get married. I don't think I have the mentality for it yet. There's too many things I want to do in life. Places to go, missions to accomplish. The next 10 years needs to be devoted to my actual life and spent livin' my own dreams. I don't want to get myself stuck anywhere right now. I don't want or even feel I have a place I can call home yet. I haven't found it. I almost got myself stuck here, but luckily I still possess the willpower and youthful energy to get myself out of it effectively. Even though I love Oregon, it has never really felt like home to me.

So these are my wise words I'm going to pass on to you all before my Japan absence begins: don't get stuck. Most of you are still young and your minds and lifestyles are still pliable. Go on adventures, figure out your desires, and just dedicate yourself to it. Don't feel it's too far-fetched. Don't feel like you have to live where you're at and marry who's most convenient. Romantic relationships are too encourage these days and you guys have to do your best not to fall for it. Release the Eggrolls, grab the wheel, and just drive away.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Dexter;767653]There's too many things I want to do in life. Places to go, missions to accomplish.

I might be speaking for myself when I say this but, wouldn't it be more fun doing so with a loved one?

Posted by Sable Wind

I like to travel, but only vacationing. And even that I could only do for one or two weeks at most without the person I love most by my side. I'm a homebody. *shrugs*

I still have to figure out what I even want to do, forget putting it into motion.

Posted by Shin-Ra

One of the main reasons I'm going into the field that I am is that it allows me to travel whenever I want. Even other countries, and still keep the same job, getting around the same pay. See, I can contract with the US military and work at bases stationed all across the world and get American wages without having to enlist in the military itself. I say that Oregon will probably be where I settle down, but I plan on a lot of traveling beforehand.

And there are women who do like to travel, and I'd imagine that'd be a lot of fun. My two best friends from high school (guy and a girl) live in New York City together and are soon moving to Europe, where they plan to basically travel until they find the perfect place. I can only imagine the adventures they're going to have and how strong their relationship is going to become.

However, I totally understand wanting to go by yourself. I mean, I am. It's a matter of freedom and self discovery for me. I'm not a relationship type anyway, not at this age at least.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Dexter: I doubt I could go into the career I'm going into as comfortably and I doubt the wife would be able to tolerate such frequent absences.

You'd be surprised what some women tolerate. My Uncle works for John Deere and frequently leaves for Japan and Europe for business. My Aunt is then alone with the kids for 2 week periods or so, but they've been getting along for many years with that setup. They might be the exception, but it proves it is possible to stay married and have a traveling job. Some engineers even spend 6 months away from their spouses when they're hired over seas to survay a project.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'd really love a job where traveling was a frequent occurrence. I can't imagine myself being married either, or having kids. Hell, I can't keep up a relationship for very long, although I guess I'm still pretty young. If the situation came up where I had to choose between whether to travel for work or to stay with the 'wife', I'd definitely go with career.

Posted by TimeSkipz

What about the long run?? I imagine it gets harder to find a nice woman/man as you get older. Two wages would seem to help you go places you wish to go. Like WG said it seems far fetched but some women will tolerate a lot. I would go with the wife

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting married...

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;767916]Personally, I'm looking forward to getting married...
As do I. Sincerely.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting ExoXile: I might be speaking for myself when I say this but, wouldn't it be more fun doing so with a loved one?

I have many loved ones. Family and friends. I might not have a partner with me 24/7, but I think being more unaided is part of my lifestyle, especially at my age. I'm not one to get lonely, especially since I get along with so many people and will always meet new people and become close to them. Not that I'll be disappearing from everyone I currently know. There'll always be opportunities to meet back up with them and spend a summer together or whatever. Also, I have so many friends and family living in various parts of the world that no matter where I choose to go, there's certain to be someone close to my life there. My best friends live in Florida, my closest family live in California, etc.

Quoted post: I still have to figure out what I even want to do, forget putting it into motion.

Sounds like me about 5 years ago. I thought I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, but the truth is, I couldn't decide what to choose out of all the things I wanted to do. There was so much I wanted to do, so many goals to achieve. I wanted to travel the world, I wanted to build a house, I wanted to publish a book, etc. Don't limit yourself to one particular objective. If you're like me, and I'm sure you are, you have the potential to accomplish a whole variety of objectives. Focus and attack!

Quoted post: I imagine it gets harder to find a nice woman/man as you get older.

I think it gets easier. Not only easier, but you're most likely to find someone who has already gone through certain experiences that has made them stronger, in life and in relationships. They are more likely to know themselves and what they want and there'll be less struggles and issues. When it comes to myself, the older I become, the easier it will be for me to withstand a relationship. I'm constantly becoming a better person. I realize more and more as the days go by what I desire in a women. And being a guy, it seems as though the older I get, the better looking I become and the more financially secure I get, which always helps, amirite?

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Dexter;768037]I have many loved ones. Family and friends. I might not have a partner with me 24/7, but I think being more unaided is part of my lifestyle, especially at my age.
The 24/7 one is that one that'll count though, and I couldn't live without mine. :)

Posted by CrystalPain

My gf wants to see me everyday...
and after i saw her she calls me...
until she falls asleep on the phone...
like now...

Quoted post: My gf wants to see me everyday...
and after i saw her she calls me...
until she falls asleep on the phone...
like now...

That's only acceptable pre-12th grade. Anytime after just tell her to shut the **** up.

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: One of the main reasons I'm going into the field that I am is that it allows me to travel whenever I want. Even other countries, and still keep the same job, getting around the same pay. See, I can contract with the US military and work at bases stationed all across the world and get American wages without having to enlist in the military itself. I say that Oregon will probably be where I settle down, but I plan on a lot of traveling beforehand.

Strangely enough, this has become the reason why I want to be a doctor now as well.

As for Dexter, I am not quite sure if you are the type to settle down and have a wife. For the four/five years I've known you, it seems as though you are the drifter sort. While you've mentioned being closed an attached to people, it doesn't seem that the relationship is extemely close or long lasting.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I have a feeling most of the people advocating togetherness in this thread are currently in their first "serious" semi-adult relationships. I would have said the same at their point as well, but honestly, I value freedom and independence over stability and strengthened bonds. At my age at least, the 20s - 30s, to me, are for discovery and exploration.

Xenos - We should be a doctor / nurse team. It'll throw foreigners off since we both look asian, are from America and listen to crazy music.

Posted by The Judge

I always figured by the end of my life I'd have a typical wife and one or two children. But I can't really be sure. It's an equal possibility I'll spend my life alone, constantly under the self-imposed premise that I'm happy when really I'm not, though that emotion would be so deeply buried (and subsequently, extremely true) that even I wouldn't realize it.

Posted by Sable Wind

Quoted post: At my age at least, the 20s - 30s, to me, are for discovery and exploration.

They are in my opinion as well. But I also think it does depend on the person. Maybe I'm saying it because I'm in a relationship, but I feel like I could discover and explore with or without someone.

Posted by Pit

My career of choice won't have much family time, unless being a homicide detective is entirely different than what's seen on tv.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Agreed, it's totally dependent on the person, but I believe being in a relationship in the late teens - early twenties puts a huge bias on this.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Dexter: So these are my wise words I'm going to pass on to you all before my Japan absence begins: don't get stuck. Most of you are still young and your minds and lifestyles are still pliable. Go on adventures, figure out your desires, and just dedicate yourself to it. Don't feel it's too far-fetched. Don't feel like you have to live where you're at and marry who's most convenient. Romantic relationships are too encourage these days and you guys have to do your best not to fall for it. Release the Eggrolls, grab the wheel, and just drive away.

It's very eerie how fitting those words are to me right now. Unfortunately for myself though, I'm not young and my lifestyle is not pliable. I have a mortgage, and I am very much stuck. My full time job pays decent, but its not fulfilling or personally rewarding. My part time job is more rewarding, but it's not challenging enough. And the fact that I'm forced to continue working both just to make ends meet leaves me no time for myself or time to develop relationships which are formed on a much deeper level than just convenience.

I'd love to go back for my masters degree, been wanting to for 7 years now. I just don't have the time or finances to do it. And now that I bought the condo, I'm stuck on Long Island with its lack of science/engineering schools to pursue my degree at. So I can't get my dream job without going back to school. I can't go back to school without moving out of state. And I can't move out of state because I just made a $300K investment that I'd take a huge loss on if I tried to sell it anytime soon. I am the epitome of stuck, and unhappy :(

Posted by Fate

You know, Dex, a wife shouldn't be a wife if you didn't know how she would react to absences and stuff. You don't meet someone just to get married right after.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Dexter]So these are my wise words I'm going to pass on to you all before my Japan absence begins: don't get stuck.
The, "don't get stuck" part I wouldn't call all that wise, Dexter.

Seeing it like that's just as bad as the opposite.
Stop trying to predict, because once you do get, "stuck" there's nothing you can do about.
And it's not going to be a bad thing.

That's my little wise one. :)

(Why the heck would you want to stop something like that anyway?

Posted by Slade

He's not necessarily talking about falling madly in love with someone, which is what I'm guessing you're talking about. Read NES Queen's post about how she's stuck financially.

Dex just means you should be careful to keep your options open. Otherwise you'll end up having things you want to do with no way of possibly doing them. You'll be stuck in your current situation, unable to change anything about your lifestyle.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Slade;769308]He's not necessarily talking about falling madly in love with someone, which is what I'm guessing you're talking about. Read NES Queen's post about how she's stuck financially.
Aye. Should've done that.
Yeah, fallin' for someone pretty freaking seriously is what I'm talking about.:D

[quote]Dex just means you should be careful to keep your options open. Otherwise you'll end up having things you want to do with no way of possibly doing them. You'll be stuck in your current situation, unable to change anything about your lifestyle.Moer of what I was trying to say.

Posted by NES Queen

Ahh, amazing how much life can change over the course of 24 hours. Not that I want to hijack Dex's thread, but I went from feeling like my back was against the wall and stuck in my unfulfilling mediocre paying job, to currently having 3 different departments at work vieing for my services. I didn't get the salary increase I had hoped for, so I started talking to other scientists at work. Now if all goes as planned, I'll have the job of my dreams, working for an incredibly intelligent and appreciative scientist, in the same company I've been at (meaning I won't lose any benefits, 401K investments, and get to still see my friends daily).

But I still stand by Dex's words of "don't get stuck". Up until an hour ago when I found this all out, I was quite miserable.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I don't know about all of you, but if I was with a woman that I thought about spending the rest of my life with, she would support me in whatever I chose, as I would her. We would work together to make a life for us and any hypothetical children we might have. We would be financially secure together and not only one of us would be responsible for that security.

Independence is great and all, but co-existence with a loved one sounds so much more appealing than living alone. In short, I'd rather be happy with somebody I love than be happy and alone.

Although, I doubt I'll ever find some person with whom to spend my life, I'm just too much of a womanizer.:cool:

Posted by Aesthetic

I love my life. Guys are great, but I'm having fun. One can join me if he wants, but whether he does or not, I'm going forward with my plans, and I'm not looking back.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Mhm, yeah, sure. Some guy's gonna come in with a wad of hundreds, some cocaine, and a private jet destined for LA, and you'll jump on that faster than Dubya on a pretzel, huh Sammy?:-P

I'm kidding, of course.

There's a rumor at work that I'm a "womanizer." Apparently, I got a different girl in my bed every day, according to my managers. I guess a wife is out of the question, for me, I'll forever have my girlfriends.:cool:

Posted by Aesthetic

Well the hundreds, cocaine and private jet are all already apart of my plan, or currently in my possession. A guy and a destination, too? I wouldn't just jump, I'd leap.

Haha, you smooth-talkin', cat-imitatin', hitler-lollin pimp, you. What woman could resist all that? Exactly. None. Your poor, envious, married managers.

Posted by Skitzo Control

They're all women, so they actually think, "DAYUM! Gotta get me some of that!"

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Aesthetic: Guys are great, but I'm having fun. One can join me if he wants

I wish the best of luck to any man who cares to try.

Posted by Aesthetic

Why thank you! I'm sure he appreciates that.

[quote=Skitzo Control]They're all women, so they actually think, "DAYUM! Gotta get me some of that!"

Man, you just can't catch a break.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I know it. Can't hate a player for trying, amirite?

Posted by Shade

I can.