Why are certain multiplayer competetive games labled as less cool than others?

Posted by Red

today I realized (after taking part in a smashfest over the weekend) that certain games that are played in tournaments like Halo, are considered cool, while other games like SmashBorhters are considered Nerdy.

I can understand why, but I just hate that fact that some people can label someone less cool because of a game they play compared to other games out there.

it kind of bugs me.

Posted by Linko_16

Everyone labels each other for the games they play. What do you think all those "nerds" at Smash Bros parties/tournaments saying about the guys playing Halo?

Take a Sociology class sometime, this is the kind of stuff that goes on in society at large all the time.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, it's pretty much just group elitism. Whatever it takes to justify their own actions. It goes on with both sides.

Also, you're not cool enough for an Atalanta avatar. Remove it.

Posted by Slade

oh lawd is dat sum golden sun elitism?

Yeah, take a Sociology or a really good Psychology class sometime.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Xbots v Nintendrones. That's why.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If you play any vidyagaem competitively, you're pretty nerdy.

Posted by Speedfreak

You aren't cool if you play Nintendo, that's how it's always been.

But if anyone tells you one game is "cool" and another is "nerdy" you can rest assured the nerdy game is the better of the two.

Posted by Fate

I think it's pretty nerdy to talk about video games outside the setting. College-frat games like Halo are cool to mention but nerdy to talk about when it goes into hardcore stats and "super-awesome" videos. I love playing Nintendo games, but if some guy starts to talk to me about them I automatically think he's a fag if he doesn't mention some hardcore title afterwards that is a pretty good game to play (must involve cool guns, blood, explosions, tits-not-sim, or swords).

The other day some guy was trying to be cool around me by saying he was thinking about giving up his 360 for a PS3. I gave him a "are you retarded or what" look. Then he started talking about Nintendo games and I just drowned him out. Another guy was talking about Halo and I was diggin' it, but then he went into a rant about n00bs and headshots and stats-- I was pretty ****ed off after that. ****ing douchebags. wtf is wrong with people

I just find it weird whenever someone I don't know really well starts talking about video games. For some reason I still hold the notion that it's still a small business and hardly anyone plays them :(

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Isn't talking about the vidya in a gaming forum quite nerdy enough?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;765586]I just find it weird whenever someone I don't know really well starts talking about video games. For some reason I still hold the notion that it's still a small business and hardly anyone plays them :(
haha, oh wow. This used to happen to me all the time. My driving instructor was a big gamer, and he'd hit out with all this **** like 'HEY DID YOU CHECK OUT *** OF WAR 2 YET, THOSE GRAPHICS ARE FANTASTIC, I REALLY LOVE THE GOLIATH PART OH WOW AND I WAS ALL LIKE TAPPING X REAL HARD', and I'd just squirm uncomfortably at the wheel.

Posted by Linko_16

I think it's worse when people around you know that you play games, but they don't. "HA HA SO WHAT'S YOUR HIGH SCORE FOR SUPER MARIO?"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I don't know that many people who don't play games. Although my mother always tries her hardest to make fun of a game if I'm playing it in the same room. I'll never forget her attempts to imitate Link's 'HAAA!' noise when he rolls over. Man, she had a field day with Halo 3's campaign.

Posted by Slade

lol, driving instructors. Mine ranted at me for about 5 minutes about his family problems, getting more mad every second, after I casually asked if he had gotten the oil changed in the car recently.

I normally don't hear much video game talk at all, but lately I've been hearing people talking about Orange Box all over the campus. It's usually obvious that one person is just blathering on while the other awkwardly sits there. There are only a handful of people I can chat about games with. Around everyone else I either don't bring it up at all, or if I'm really looking forward to something it might slip out, and they'll look at me funny. But it's easy to recover from that unless I just professed my love for electric mouse pokemon or something.

edit: ninja'd... a couple times.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I like Halo and Super Smash Brothers, what does that make me?

Posted by S

A whore.

Posted by Ant

I don't talk to people I don't know about video games. Because most of the time it's a pointless endevour. However, at my old job two of my managers brought it up. And I found out one was really into the Castlevania series, so much so that he actually bought a turbogrphix-cd to play Rondo of Blood. So I'd listen to him drone on about that for an hour or so just so I wouldn't have to work. Or my other manager was playing Twilight Princess and would ask me for help on certain parts.

But if, for instance, someone came up to me and started asking me if I play Halo 3 or Madden; I pretend I don't even know what video games are. I think I get some sort of weird kick of them trying to be hardcore about it and telling me all these "kewl" things that I'm not supposed to know about.

Or then there's the sad attempts when my father comes in and starts asking me which systems I have and ALWAYS without fail says the wrong one. "Is that there the new xbox360" I say "No, that's the Wii" Him "oh lol wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" or something like that. He basically stereotypes me as your typical video game nerd now...which I'm fine with I suppose. Kept he went too far yesterday in saying "I bet all you watch is G4...CAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS CRAP!" I couldn't respond.

Posted by Red

Quoting Fate:
The other day some guy was trying to be cool around me by saying he was thinking about giving up his 360 for a PS3. I gave him a "are you retarded or what" look. Then he started talking about Nintendo games and I just drowned him out. Another guy was talking about Halo and I was diggin' it, but then he went into a rant about n00bs and headshots and stats-- I was pretty ****ed off after that. ****ing douchebags. wtf is wrong with people

that's odd because regardless of how you talk about a game it still remains the same at my school: games like Halo=Cool, games like Smashbros=nerdy/uncool.

alot of people seem to like that type of "boom head shot" kinda stuff.

EDIT:
Quoting Ant:
"I bet all you watch is G4...CAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS CRAP!" I couldn't respond.

weird, I pretty much fit in to this category, I never watch tv, but when I do it's always AOTS on G4.

also how the hell does your dad even know about that? mine wouldn't.

Posted by Fate

Halo is cool. Smash Bros. is fun but not exactly cool college-frat material. Talking about stats in any game ever when the conversation consists of mostly casual touches on a game ("we had fun that night, bro" or "dude, that headshot was ****ing sick!") is nerdy.

Posted by Slade

Quoting MottaTheHutt: I like Halo and Super Smash Brothers, what does that make me?

A monster.

When I first got Xbox Live, my parents were going nuts about the fact that I was playing with people online. They'd bring it up when we had company over and everything. Usually it was a couple from my parent's church, and they'd bring up the point, "So... he's killing people from all over the world." My dad would just kind of laugh it off. I remember he genuinely seemed to feel better about Halo after I explained how people re-spawn.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

My non-gamer friends are still giving me shit about skipping school to play Halo 3. They just don't understand, mostly because they never played Halo 3. The only game they play is "LOL BURNOUT LOOK @ THAT SICK REPETITIVE VIOLENCE D00D"

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Your post doesn't make any sense now that I edited mine. (I asked him which Halo he was on, it was a reference to his location.)

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Most of my friends don't play video games so I don't really talk about it. Talking about vg stats IRL is pretty gay.

Quoted post: Smash Bros. is fun but not exactly cool college-frat material.

Oh *** yes it is.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool when someone calls everything a Nintendo, or more recently, an Xbox. Or when they buy a Wii and call it a Wii game. That one had me confused for awhile.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Non-gamers / casual gamers confuse me on a near-daily basis.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Or when they buy a Wii and call it a Wii game. That one had me confused for awhile.
This annoys to me no end. Literally half the people that come in to where I work and ask for one call it a "Wii game". Sometimes the converstation goes on for a while before we understand each other.

Them: Do you have Wii games in stock?
Me: Yeah... that whole wall over there.
Them: Great! Can I buy one?
Me: Which one?
Them: Which one...?
Me: What game do you want.
Them: *Look of confusion*
Me: Oohh.. you mean the system. We're sold out.

It's satisfying in the end though, because I get to be extremely blunt. Plus I love the disappointment when they find out they're not getting their "Wii game". NO MINIGAMES FOR YOU LOL

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh *** yes it is.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool when someone calls everything a Nintendo, or more recently, an Xbox.

Fag nerd college frats it is. And it is not cool. Neat but not cool.

Posted by Linko_16

I've heard it referenced as a frat game. Probably just depends on the frat.

Posted by Fate

I think it's pretty dorky to talk about, actually! I love the game to death but you're not going to catch me saying that to a crowd of people.

Posted by Ant

Well duh, you have an image to keep up!

Posted by Fate

Pretty much, yeah.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Personally, I think it's pretty cool when someone calls everything a Nintendo, or more recently, an Xbox. Or when they buy a Wii and call it a Wii game. That one had me confused for awhile.

That's powerful branding for you. I've never heard of people calling things an Xbox, but I remember the times my mom kept nagging me to turn off my 'family computer' (referring to a PSX) so I can do my chores.

It's just how times change. Nintendo, then Playstation and now Xbox.

Also, Fate's pathetic lol.

Posted by Iris

I think it's just that older people aren't as comfortable with calling it simply "Wii."

And I agree with Vamp. Systems don't really make a game less nerdy, Fate. Video games are pretty much nerdy by definition. :( I can guarantee that the playerbases of games like Halo 3 and SSBM have the same age, maturity, and social level. It's really just a matter of which groups are more openly vocal about it and therefore better-accepted.

Posted by Fate

Iris speaks troof.

Now, now, Vamp, you are not a girl working in an electronics store. I am! My coworkers are creepy and to have them talk about how hot Peach or Cortana are can be weird, to say the least. Certain kinds of discussion are okay when it comes to casual speech of a generally acceptable game (deemed "cool"), but sometimes...

Fair enough, I guess. I figured it was because you didn't want other to know you enjoyed games, simply because others viewed them as a nerdy past-time. If that were the case, THEN it would've been fairly pathetic.

But creepy coworkers, completely understandable.

Posted by Speedfreak

If you can't talk about one game you like to a group of people but you can with another game you're grossly overestimating how cool videogames are. If you're into games enough to talk about them you're a nerd, get the fuck over it.

Posted by Fate

You know you're precisely the type of person I want to avoid in real life!

Posted by ArchAngel4434

sometimes, games are labled as less cool cuz they totally SUCK ***, whereas other games KICK ***.

just sayin

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well that certainly clears things up :)

Quoted post: If you can't talk about one game you like to a group of people but you can with another game you're grossly overestimating how cool videogames are. If you're into games enough to talk about them you're a nerd, get the **** over it.

idk, there's certain people in my life I don't want talking to me about games, so I know where she's coming from...

Posted by Fate

It's not like this is the first instance, too. I've spoken very proudly of my interests to the wrong people, leaving me being virtually friendless since I graduated some two and a half years ago. Cool folks don't like me, nerds get pretty creepy... It just doesn't work.

Wait, people stopped liking you for liking games? Wow, those are some pretty ****ing awesome friends you had.

Posted by Fate

Well, someone like me only looks like an omg person. I can talk about hair and makeup and VH1 all day. This attracts a certain group of people that I can hang out with. I can also talk about games all day, which attracts those other types. When those other types attempt to mingle with my omg friends, my omg friends tend to stay away from me because I'm guilty by association. When I sit down for lunch, I expect my friends to sit with me but they don't because they see the dorky ones headed my way. This makes me ****ed off with my dorky friends and I tend to stay away from them. Nobody ever calls back. wtf

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The omg people aren't exactly your friends if they act like that.

Posted by Slade

That sounds a lot like how my FOOTBAAAAAAAAAALL friends didn't mingle well with my nerdy friends. However, eventually my nerdy friends turned out to be the faggots, so I just made the football ones deal with nerdy side. It worked, too. Eventually I met other people who were just as nerdy as me, but also into other stuff I like to do. Anyways, my football friends call me a faggot when I say something nerdy, but it's just like how I call them faggots when they say something jock-y. In the end, we all still want to hang out with each other.

Posted by Fate

That's what I'm talking about. The nerdy ones I've encountered turned out to be the faggots. I just moved to Texas three months ago and the only friends I have are at the workplace. The omg people were drawn to me first and everything was fine until that fated day I wore my Gears of War sweater to work. Since I haven't been friends with anyone for too long, it's easy to drop me. :mad:

Haha, wow, you suck at balancing friends then. Everyone has those two different groups of people they hang out with that you know should never be able to mingle, that's highschool.

Even now I don't mingle two of my friends with the rest because I know it'll be embarrassing for me and awkward for everyone. They know that, I know that, and we're fine with it.

Posted by Ant

All my friends are nerds and freaks(see Judge), so it makes it a whole lot easier to hang out with them :D

Also I've noticed mixing friends you met over the internet with IRL friends never turns out that well. THE MORE YOU KNOW

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Fate: That's what I'm talking about. The nerdy ones I've encountered turned out to be the faggots.

It worries me that you'd probably would've thought I was a creep if we'd met in real life instead of online.

But I agree that sometimes you need friends for only certain aspects of your life. I couldn't joke with my real life friends about dickgirls.

Posted by Fate

Probably, Linko. But that's what the internet is for.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Haha, wow, you suck at balancing friends then. Everyone has those two different groups of people they hang out with that you know should never be able to mingle, that's highschool.

At this point I'm desperate for friends. I try to be the bridge between the two but fail. Maybe that's the problem?

Oh wait, didn't you just move or something? That I could understand... but yeah, don't bridge. It's best to keep them separate, especially if they're two distinct groups. It's best for everyone.

Posted by Speedfreak

I had no idea the American people are as totally artificial as they are on TV.

I mean Christ, my nerdy friend from high school who's also gone slightly goth manages to be popular with just about every type of person you can think of, yet we all know he's too busy to hang with us cause he's playing D&D.

Do you honestly have to hide parts of yourselves from your friends after high school?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;768853]I had no idea the American people are as totally artificial as they are on TV.
Actually gonna agree with you on this one. I've never experienced this sort of thing WHERE I COME FROM!

Quoted post: Do you honestly have to hide parts of yourselves from your friends after high school?

Have to? No, but many people do. It's not just exclusive to our culture though (what's up, japan) we just make it pathetic.

Posted by S

Quoting Speedfreak: I had no idea the American people are as totally artificial as they are on TV.

I mean Christ, my nerdy friend from high school who's also gone slightly goth manages to be popular with just about every type of person you can think of, yet we all know he's too busy to hang with us cause he's playing D&D.

Do you honestly have to hide parts of yourselves from your friends after high school?

They aren't. One person does not equate to the whole. I'm sure there are plenty of people where you live who are similar.

Not on the same scale I bet.

Posted by Ant

Fate: Typical American

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=S

Posted by Iris

It's pretty much true.

Oh well, at least we have nice teeth, buttface.

Posted by Fate

wtf

I didn't experience segregation until after high school.
:confused:

Posted by Linko_16

The only thing from my experience in high school that I know to be different from stuff on TV are "popular" kids. There's no such ****ing thing as "popularity" and never has been where I've gone to school; maybe there was once, but now people just hang with whoever they share interests with or whatever and are respectful of everyone in general.

Posted by Ant

lol

Posted by Slade

Quoting Speedfreak: I literally haven't experienced any segregation between groups of kids at school for any reason other than their character, or even heard of it.

...Weird. I started experiencing it in 5th grade, when there were "the kids who are good at sports," and "the kids who aren't as good at sports."

So nothing like that even happens over there?

Posted by WillisGreeny

I think it's more prevalent to have kids thinking they're popular than there really being a "popular" group of kids everyone looked up to. My highschool was nothing like the ones in Teen movies.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Slade;769035]...Weird. I started experiencing it in 5th grade, when there were "the kids who are good at sports," and "the kids who aren't as good at sports."
My school had two sports teams - the 13+ football (soccer) team, and the 16+ football team. So there were only 22 people out of 1400 in the 'good at sports' group. And I was friends with a few of them! :D

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Slade;769035]...Weird. I started experiencing it in 5th grade, when there were "the kids who are good at sports," and "the kids who aren't as good at sports."

So nothing like that even happens over there?

The people good at sports were just that, people good at sports. It was just something they did for fun, they weren't regarded as special or more popular or anything. I barely knew who played sports at all, all they ever got was their names read off in assemblies sometimes, but I never paid attention.

Posted by Ant

During my Jr. High school years is when I would say popularity actually had any standing in who treated who nicely or not. After that(9th grade) in high school popularity was still there, but it didn't really matter in who treated who. It was more so determined in which "click" you were apart of. Though overall, I'd say this affected females more so than males on the campus.

Quoted post: The only thing from my experience in high school that I know to be different from stuff on TV are "popular" kids. There's no such ****ing thing as "popularity" and never has been where I've gone to school; maybe there was once, but now people just hang with whoever they share interests with or whatever and are respectful of everyone in general.

Even my school had some sort of hierarchy based on popularity. It wasn't anywhere close to as prevalent as you might see in a movie, but it was there, and it just depended on the cliques. However, my high school was still small enough that it really didn't have too much of an effect and everyone was still fairly nice to everyone else. Probably helps that it was a religious school, but still.

Posted by Fate

My school wasn't like those movies, either. Like I said, it started after high school.

Ooh, a good example would be this one guy at work who we all think is "living the dream"-- like he played football in high school for a bit and then quit and has been on that track ever since. He talks about working out and having chicks but everyone knows his stories are bull because he looks like a cow and most of his chick stories are about almost scoring or them being lesbians and making out in front of him. He invites folks to his parties with the promise of an awesome time. He tries to get me to go by saying there will be an Xbox on a huge TV with surround sound and some booze (little does he know I think him just saying that is dorky as ****), but I never go. I ask other people what they think of him and they said that if I ever hung out with him I'd be guilty by association. Some people even told me they wanted to kick his ***, and we're all adults here! He's a fag and anyone that can actually hang out with him more than once is probably a fag, too.

Well, that's a tad different than ignoring someone that's actually a decent person because you considering him less than "cool" for whatever reason. The guy in your example is just an idiot that no one would like.

Posted by Fate

Then there's the guys who go on about PC games even though I thoroughly express my disgust for them on a daily basis. All faggots. Maybe I'm just too picky.

People seem to make the mistake that my interests are what I am. Gross.

Nah. PC ****ing sucks. You're right in that case.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Fate;769720][COLOR=skyblue]Then there's the guys who go on about PC games even though I thoroughly express my disgust for them on a daily basis. [/COLOR]

all I heard was bla bla bla bla I'm a faggot bla bla bla

I THINK I'LL GO ENJOY SOME TEAM FORTRESS 2 RIGHT NOW :mad: (and some peggle)

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, PC sucks. Save for Baldur's Gate.

Quoted post: I THINK I'LL GO ENJOY SOME TEAM FORTRESS 2 RIGHT NOW

Now with less lag on the 360!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;769269]Well, that's a tad different than ignoring someone that's actually a decent person because you considering him less than "cool" for whatever reason. The guy in your example is just an idiot that no one would like.

If she was ignoring him for being less than cool she'd still make up a load of reasons for why he's an idiot, though =P.

Indeed. Though he sounds like a total idiot AND he's a PC fanboy. idk, I can see where she's coming from in this case.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If I hear one more PC fanboy talk about how inadequate console controls are, I may kill myself.

But that doesn't mean I don't like playing PC games. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

The amount of PC fanboys on my gaming course saddens me. The amount of single platform players in general saddens me, actually.