Dark Passion Play (Nightwish)

Posted by Dexter

It has taken me a long time to finally get through it all. It's horrible, or at least it doesn't consist of the qualities that I've come to enjoy about Nightwish. The new singer doesn't have that operatic vocal ability and it doesn't carry the fantasy/nature charm like their old material did. The Heart of Everything by Within Temptation was a huge 2007 disappointment for me too. Both bands were some of my favorites back in, let's say, 2001-2004. It's a bunch of Evanescence now. I'm having trouble even thinking of a currently good female leading metal band now. Help plz.

Posted by Gollum

I like it.

Can't think of any other female-fronted bands either.

Posted by Omni

Best Nightwish album I've heard, since I don't care for Tarja's voice. The music seemed catchier and more interesting than before.

Posted by Dexter

Nah. The new girl is like most other female lead metal singers. That's boring to me because I experience so much of it. Tarja is way better. I didn't realize how good she was until she was gone. I don't know how I ever thought a new singer could work. I should've known. Go back and listen to some of their old songs like 'Angels Fall First,' 'Ever Dream,' or 'Swanheart.' Her voice is way different than anything else I'm hearing out there and it carries a certain enchantment that the new girl is significantly lacking. And even the music seems better. Lots of it is like some action Hans Zimmer-inspired material that puts their new material to great shame.

Posted by Omni

Female-fronted metal band: http://www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

Posted by Dexter

Nope, not feeling it.

Posted by Omni

Try the second song on the page. It's entirely different, though it's not a female singer.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Leaves' Eyes! After Forever is pretty good, too.

And yeah, this is what I've been saying about the new Nightwish all along. DO NOT WANT

Posted by Dexter

Leaves' Eyes are good, but not good enough for me that I'm looking forward to their future like I used to do with Nightwish or Within Temptation. I used to like After Forever a few years ago, but not much anymore. That was during the days of Edenbridge. I'm kinda liking what I hear from Sirenia, but still need more.

I <3 Leaves' Eyes, it's currently my favourite band. Sirenia is all right. Have you heard anything by Chalice or Angtoria? I like Chalice a lot, but it's nothing to get really excited over. You might like Elfonia, but it's kinda boring.

Oh, also Stream of Passion, Nemesea and Tarja's solo project you could always check out.

Posted by Shade

I like it. I never really cared for Tarja's vocals too much, and the new girl has a good voice. Some songs are little overly poppy for my taste (Amaranth), but I don't mind with songs like "7 Days to the Wolves" on here. Good stuff.

Oh, and only old Nightwish song worth listening to is Ghost Love Score, imo.

EDIT: "Bye Bye Beautiful" is great. Especially the chorus at the end with Anette singing behind the main vocals, sounded awesome.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

(Didn't read the Topic)
I like the new girl, better than Tarja; I think Tarja is better though, but not at this type of singing. I hope that made sense. But as far as female fronted bands go, check out Epica; Simone Simmons is great, and also try out Lacuna Coil. Flyleaf is also pretty good, even though the vocalist sucks; but it has a sort of addictive sound to it, and a great melody, so they are worth checking out. That's all I have to say; that, and yes, The Heart of Everything was something of a let down. :)

Posted by Richaod

I'm pretty much split down the middle over Tarja/Anette. Anette works well on Dark Passion Play though - but obviously, Nightwish's signature has always been Tuomas' songwriting. I personally think DPP is a strong album, but with more similar songs, and ironically less darkness/emotion than Once. Which I prefer.

I'm concerned for how Anette affects their live show though (I'm going in February) - I prefer their post-power metal albums, but the large amount of overdubs has always made the new material less potent live. From what I've seen of Anette, she sings decently live, but can't pull it off as easily as Tarja.

Dexter, what's your favourite Nightwish album?

I'd probably recommend Epica and Stream of Passion too. I've heard three tracks from Tarja's solo album and the songwriting is nowhere near Nightwish standards. Her vocals aren't as good either.

Posted by CrystalPain

End of all hope, Over the hills and far away & Planet hell
were also good or im i the only person that reallly liked those songs

Posted by Borealis

My thoughts on it is pretty simple... it's good, not as good.