Nevermore

Posted by The Judge

I wanted to make a thread about this band for a while now, but I kept forgetting. ANYWAYS!

What do you guys think about this band? I really like them, personally. They've got good vocals and I like the music behind the songs. Granted, the lyrics are sometimes non-sensical, but still, I enjoy listening to them. My favorite songs are Sentient 6, The Heart Collector, Insignificant, Born, The Riverdragon, Deconstruction, I, Voyager, and their cover of The Sound of Silence.

Thoughts?

Posted by Shin-Ra

While I don't necessarily care for their two most recent endeavors (lol pun), I regard Dreaming Neon Black as a "must have" album. Conceptually, it's fantastic and positively bleeds emotion from your speakers. It all seems so real and involving for the listener, to which the music only elevates the intensity of the subject matter. "Deconstruction", "The Lotus Eaters", and "All Play Dead" are the highlights for me.

As for their other albums, Dead Heart in a Dead World and Politics of Ecstasy are fairly decent metal albums. Not enough that I'll listen to them regularly (like I first did) though. The band is instrumentally, vocally, and somewhat lyrically gifted musicians. However, there's just not enough "art" and a little too much focus on "heavy" for me to listen to them all the time.

tl;dr: Decent metal band with one fantastic album. It's a good listen, but I rather hear something else.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

They were fantastic at Gigantour and Enemies Of Reality remains to be one of my favorite CDs.

P.S. Jeff Loomis rules

Posted by The Judge

The only CD's I have are Enemies of Reality and This ***less Endeavor. I'll have to get their newest one.

Posted by Shin-Ra

You already have their newest one.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Their still in recording for their newest cd but it kinda sucks that Steve Smyth left, i thought he was really good

Posted by Dexter

I discovered them shortly after Dead Heart in a Dead World was released and it's still my favorite album by them, closely followed by Dreaming Neon Black. Enemies of Reality was slightly disappointing for me, but not too much that I wasn't looking forward to This ***less Endeavor, which I didn't care for much at all. I liked it lyrically, but not musically.

They're actually responsible for shifting much of my music taste. I was looking for the original 'Sound of Silence' one day back in the old days of Napster and came across their cover and was easily attached to their style, which brought me towards bands such as Opeth, Anathema, Therion, Nightwish, etc. Huge transition came from them, so they'll always mean something to me because of it.

I can see them fitting your style, Judge. Good religious topics unfold. They carry a certain theme with them that one comes to expect and enjoy.

Posted by Shade

I only have ***less Endeavor. There are a few highlights on it, but it's not really anything I listen to very much. Though as many of you think it's a weak effort from them, I might just have to get some of their older material, idk.

Posted by Omni

They're okay, judging by the three songs I've heard from them, but nothing I really care to listen to on a regular basis.

Posted by Dexter

If you're trying to get into them, I suggest starting with the album Dead Heart in a Dead World. It seems to be the easiest for people to handle at first.

Posted by Omni

I'm not really trying to get into them, but if you ever want to get on AIM or MSN and trade music or upload random stuff by bands, feel free.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

A couple good albums worth listening to, otherwise not a fan. I can't even recall the last time I listened to them.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

To be honest, I don't think I EVER heard a single song of theirs. Been meaning to check them out for like a decade, but I never had the chance yet.

Posted by Dexter

Their time is over, honestly. I feel like we're talking about a band that was once good and if you were into them at the time you'd still like them slightly still but it would be difficult for an average person to get into them now. Like Collective Soul or something. I don't know if I could get into them now if I had never gotten into them before. I would have to listen to them a lot and get to know their themes.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, when I think of Nevermore, I think of one of those nineties metal bands that got you into the genre and didn't hold your interest beyond that. A '90s gateway band I guess.